Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,868 members, 7,806,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible (3890 Views)

8 Signs A Marriage Won’t Last, According To Divorce Lawyers / My 63-year-old Wife Starves Me Of Sex, Divorce-seeking Septuagenarian Tells Cour / 'return Me To My Former Shape Before A Divorce' - Wife Tells Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 8:06pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
I tell you. Things are getting worse. My pastor calls it the mystery of sin.

Na real mystery of sin
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 8:10pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Na real mystery of sin
To be truthful. I want Christ to come very soon. I can't stand these false doctrines flying about. I am an advocate for Strong families but when I see what the marriage situation is looking like, I feel sad for my unborn kids. I will do my best sha.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by TV01(m): 8:12pm On May 31, 2015
Dheartless:

TV01 what say you to this?

in response to the last mention directed at me.
if we refer to the bible in total, we will build many contradictions, so it is better we stick to verses in relation to the topic.

in addition to silvofitz post
some version of bible used word like
*unfaithfulness
* immorality
instead of fornication,
-we know a wife can be unfaithful in more than one way.
-we know "immorality" doesn't specify sexual immortality ( and we know all sexual immorality are not just sleeping with another man other than a husband)
There are no contradictions in the Bible. Formulating policy or doctrine on the basis of 1 verse is always going to be problematic.

What does unfaithfulness cover apart from sexual fidelity? You make it sound wide-ranging, hence subject to interpretation, and therefore pretty much a divorce charter. I don't agree and have heard nothing to change my original position.

Silvofitz:
Point 3. Irreconcilable differences that could endager the lives of the couple mean sharp differences that could provoke assaults, or even, arsons, dangerous acts that could lead to the death of the couple. This is what Jesus referred to as the hardness of their hearts in Matthew 19 : 8. If the disagreement is so sharp that could lead to death, Moses okayed divorce.
I don't agree with this - at least not in this form. It's too subjective. In any event, separation should be considered first and if it does result in divorce, it still precludes marriage.

kelechiMarie:
I think apostle paul also wrote that you can divorce an unbelieving spouse. Correct me if i'm wrong,thanks
Apostle Paul said almost the exact opposite, "one is not to leave a disbelieving spouse if they are willing to stay". It touches on the unbelieving spouses salvation and sanctification of any children.

What he did say is "if an unbelieving spouse departs, one is not under bondage". That is the possible exception I referred to in my initial post.

TV
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 8:15pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
To be truthful. I want Christ to come very soon. I can't stand these false doctrines flying about. I am an advocate for Strong families but when I see what the marriage situation is looking like, I feel sad for my unborn kids. I will do my best sha.

There will always be strong families around.

Look for a wife who shares your belief system or If you believe in soul mates or destined spouses, the one destined for you.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 8:20pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

There will always be strong families around.

Look for a wife who shares your belief system or If you believe in soul mates or destined spouses, the one destined for you.
I believe in soul mates or destined spouses.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 8:24pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
I believe in soul mates or destined spouses.

Simple cheesy

Pray for the one God destined for you kiss
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 8:36pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Simple cheesy
Pray for the one God destined for you kiss
I will start from next year. Project must be completed first.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 8:36pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
I will start from next year. Project must be completed first.

Never too early to start.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 9:04pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

Never too early to start.
I am still very young. You might not believe my age if I tell you.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 9:05pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
I am still very young. You might not believe my age if I tell you.

20? 19?
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 9:17pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

20? 19?
one of them.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 9:21pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
one of them.
lols

Your mates have given birth to 3 grin

I tell that to my kid sister when she is misbehaving tongue

Done with school, that's Good; was done by 21.

You are not too young to Pray joor. My hubby started praying in his teens and met me @ 21

You sound very mature for your age
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 9:32pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:
lols

Your mates have given birth to 3 grin

I tell that to my kid sister when she is misbehaving tongue

Done with school, that's Good; was done by 21.

You are not too young to Pray joor. My hubby started praying in his teens and met me @ 21

You sound very mature for your age
lol...

my mates who are responsible won't father three kids at my age.

Not done with school yet, a long way to go. PhD things.
I know am not too young that's why I fixed it for next year. Prayerful hubby who knows what he wants and got it. No time to whine.

Mature ke...I still act childish at times and I pick up things easily.
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by bukatyne(f): 9:37pm On May 31, 2015
okotv:
lol...

my mates who are responsible won't father three kids at my age.

Not done with school yet, a long way to go. PhD things.
I know am not too young that's why I fixed it for next year. Prayerful hubby who knows what he wants and got it. No time to whine.

Mature ke...I still act childish at times and I pick up things easily.

PhD?

That's really Good.

Give yourself Some credit joor... How many of your mates are bothered with stuffs you discuss?

When you get sincere compliments, take them and try to improve on them.

That's What makes us human: 50yrs old people still behave childish sometimes.

Hubby knew What he wanted and went for it. When I was saying no, told his elders who were praying with him till yes came grin
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by KanwuliaJara: 9:39pm On May 31, 2015
Good news!
Weda you agree or disagree, DIE-VORCE is here to stay! kiss

2 Likes

Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by okotv(m): 9:49pm On May 31, 2015
bukatyne:

PhD?

That's really Good.

Give yourself Some credit joor... How many of your mates are bothered with stuffs you discuss?

When you get sincere compliments, take them and try to improve on them.

That's What makes us human: 50yrs old people still behave childish sometimes.

Hubby knew What he wanted and went for it. When I was saying no, told his elders who were praying with him till yes came grin
Well, I have always been inquisitive. Infact my monicker was borne out of that.

PhD before 30 is the aim, the fact that the youngest Nigerian with a PhD is a member of my district is the major factor or pushing force.

How did you know hubby was the man ?
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by Theophinio(m): 5:59pm On May 09, 2016
Dheartless:

TV01 what say you to this?

in response to the last mention directed at me.
if we refer to the bible in total, we will build many contradictions, so it is better we stick to verses in relation to the topic.

in addition to silvofitz post
some version of bible used word like
*unfaithfulness
* immorality
instead of fornication,
-we know a wife can be unfaithful in more than one way.
-we know "immorality" doesn't specify sexual immortality ( and we know all sexual immorality are not just sleeping with another man other than a husband)

If immorality doesn't specify sexual immorality alone what else could it mean
#PEACE
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by Theophinio(m): 6:30pm On May 09, 2016
TV01:

What you are saying above is once divorce happens, both parties are "scripturally" free to re-marry. This is a charter for serial marriages. It belies what scripture clearly teaches about marriage being for life.

And I believe - I stand to be corrected - that it may only have been men that could put away wives then, not vice-versa. Read the scriptures in total. My position is the sum total of everything I can find.

TV
This is it
AWESOME
MORE GRACE UPON YOU SIR
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by Ngoziada592: 8:57pm On May 09, 2016
The hypocrisy of Nigerians makes me laugh. God hates divorce , adultery, fornication, lying, stealing and others yet it's only divorce Nigerians make noise about. You will see adulterers and fornicators telling a divorcee how God hates divorce. If Nigerians stayed away from everything God hates the Country won't be a mess. Nigerians are just hypocrites who choose to focus on whatever suits them and ignore what doesnt

5 Likes

Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by TV01(m): 10:10am On May 13, 2016
Theophinio:

This is it
AWESOME
MORE GRACE UPON YOU SIR
Gracias- much appreciated. I'd been meaning to say more on this issue, so instead of opening a thread - lazy me grin - I'll just post it here...let me know your thoughts.

[size=14pt]…it is better not to marry[/size]

Matthew 19:10 (NKJV)

10 His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry

I believe the bible, and I also believe the bible makes it clear that God instituted marriage for the flourishing and well-being of mankind.

From a purely Christian perspective, marriage has a number of imperatives and serves a number of purposes. I do however believe that God recognises all formally enacted marriages.

The bible makes the law of marriage very clear – it’s until death do part. One may well separate from, or “divorce” their spouse, but re-marriage, whilst ones original spouse is still alive, is adultery. And how will one not consider remarriage- whilst the former spouse is alive - a state, as opposed to an act of sin/adultery?

God hates divorce. Who has the nerve to freely counsel what God hates - divorce - and more specifically, what marriage law forbids – remarriage whilst the original spouse is still alive?

So even if you can conjure up reasons for divorce – and to be clear, I don’t believe the bible really states any for a consummated marriage – remarriage remains out of the question whilst the former spouse is still alive.

Hence, I am always happy to advise people not to marry, or counsel on enhancing their unions, but I will never advise divorce. That is not within anyone’s remit – “What God has joined together...”.

Hence the best remedy for dysfunctional unions, is not to campaign for divorce – it’s at root - to ensure that marriage is properly understood, embraced and committed to in the first instance.

By campaigning for divorce as a remedy, marriage as a whole is weakened and not held in the right reverence, entered into incorrectly, and divorce multiplies the more.

Conjuring up nebulous or woolly reasons for divorce, or not first counselling serious and consistent efforts at healing and restoration, are unbiblical and wrong whatever you believe. Talk of “moving on”, especially where it implies remarriage, is sin, if your spouse is still alive.

Marriage is an archetype of Gods relationship with Israel, of Christ’ love for His church. You cannot leave or forsake your spouse. If you genuinely believe you are in danger, remove yourself from the situation, but you cannot dissolve the union.

If your spouse is genuinely repentant, you are to forgive, and keep on giving them opportunity to repent. If they are not, or you cannot, even if you separate, you cannot divorce, and you cannot re-marry while they are still alive.

Advocates, campaigners and mongers for divorce will answer, as will those who commit the offence. If you did it ignorantly, then repentance is available. But if you refuse to accept it as sin, then your sin remains – and you are clearly saying divorce can happen repeatedly.

TV

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by eyinjuege: 10:30pm On May 13, 2016
Ngoziada592:
The hypocrisy of Nigerians makes me laugh. God hates divorce , adultery, fornication, lying, stealing and others yet it's only divorce Nigerians make noise about. You will see adulterers and fornicators telling a divorcee how God hates divorce. If Nigerians stayed away from everything God hates the Country won't be a mess. Nigerians are just hypocrites who choose to focus on whatever suits them and ignore what doesnt

Why are you in my head woman?

Was gonna type an epistle on that, but you saved me from that
Re: The Possibility Of Divorce According To The Bible by Theophinio(m): 8:54pm On May 20, 2016
TV01:

Gracias- much appreciated. I'd been meaning to say more on this issue, so instead of opening a thread - lazy me grin - I'll just post it here...let me know your thoughts.

[size=14pt]…it is better not to marry[/size]

Matthew 19:10 (NKJV)

10 His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of the man with his wife, it is better not to marry

I believe the bible, and I also believe the bible makes it clear that God instituted marriage for the flourishing and well-being of mankind.

From a purely Christian perspective, marriage has a number of imperatives and serves a number of purposes. I do however believe that God recognises all formally enacted marriages.

The bible makes the law of marriage very clear – it’s until death do part. One may well separate from, or “divorce” their spouse, but re-marriage, whilst ones original spouse is still alive, is adultery. And how will one not consider remarriage- whilst the former spouse is alive - a state, as opposed to an act of sin/adultery?

God hates divorce. Who has the nerve to freely counsel what God hates - divorce - and more specifically, what marriage law forbids – remarriage whilst the original spouse is still alive?

So even if you can conjure up reasons for divorce – and to be clear, I don’t believe the bible really states any for a consummated marriage – remarriage remains out of the question whilst the former spouse is still alive.

Hence, I am always happy to advise people not to marry, or counsel on enhancing their unions, but I will never advise divorce. That is not within anyone’s remit – “What God has joined together...”.

Hence the best remedy for dysfunctional unions, is not to campaign for divorce – it’s at root - to ensure that marriage is properly understood, embraced and committed to in the first instance.

By campaigning for divorce as a remedy, marriage as a whole is weakened and not held in the right reverence, entered into incorrectly, and divorce multiplies the more.

Conjuring up nebulous or woolly reasons for divorce, or not first counselling serious and consistent efforts at healing and restoration, are unbiblical and wrong whatever you believe. Talk of “moving on”, especially where it implies remarriage, is sin, if your spouse is still alive.

Marriage is an archetype of Gods relationship with Israel, of Christ’ love for His church. You cannot leave or forsake your spouse. If you genuinely believe you are in danger, remove yourself from the situation, but you cannot dissolve the union.

If your spouse is genuinely repentant, you are to forgive, and keep on giving them opportunity to repent. If they are not, or you cannot, even if you separate, you cannot divorce, and you cannot re-marry while they are still alive.

Advocates, campaigners and mongers for divorce will answer, as will those who commit the offence. If you did it ignorantly, then repentance is available. But if you refuse to accept it as sin, then your sin remains – and you are clearly saying divorce can happen repeatedly.

TV
PERFECT
If every minister of the Gospel could speak this way, am sure multitude contemplating divorce would have a rethink.
In summary
Divorce is not of God, get it straight into your mind.
The only situation whereby you are permitted to remarry according to God Almighty is when your spouse is no more alive.
#PEACE

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Pictures Of Fathers And Babies (David Beckham and others) / R231 Is Fortyfied, Hurray!!! / What's Your Opinion About This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.