Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,146 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:45 AM

I Lost My Baby To A System Failure - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / I Lost My Baby To A System Failure (29762 Views)

I Lost My Friend To Chronic Kidney Disease, His Last Whatsapp Chat With Me / How I Lost My Childhood Friend To HIV/AIDS / Lagos Hospital Allowed Baby To Die, Dumps Corpse Near Waste Bin - Family Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by osikhueme(f): 9:31am On Jun 01, 2015
Blood transfusion is required in serious jaundice cases

Gboliwe:
My heart goes out to you and your wife and I pray God consoles you.

When a child is jaundiced, phototherapy is what is needed not blood transfusion. Blood transfusion also doesn't require electricity but phototherapy does.
I wonder why any hospital with maternity and paediatric unit will not have a functional phototherapy.

It's only in Nigeria that even the student doctors have this very condescending air around them and are not willing to go one single step above their daily routine even if it's to save a life. It's so pathetic.

The life we live in this country is by God's grace alone.

May his soul rest in perfect peace. Amen
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by akeensbussy(m): 9:35am On Jun 01, 2015
wasamtech:
Its heart breaking that my new baby boy was lost due to systemic failure of government health ministries. On 28th May 4pm thursday evening my baby develop convulsion, l quickly drove him down with my wife to the hospital we had him. We were told he had reacted to jaundice and could only be treated through photo-therapy (blood transfusion) at the general hospital LASUTH ikeja.

He was immediately treated for convulsion and given a reference letter to LASUTH. l immediately drove down to LASUTH IKeja and on arrival we were told there is no (light) to conduct blood transfusion and referred to LUTH idi-araba mushin with an assurance he will be treated.
Baby Salman struggled and raised our hope with normal respiration that he was indeed gonna make it. At LUTH same night, we were told there was no light, no bed, no blood. A bag of blood needed to save his light cost only N5,000.00 but no room for accomdation. He was neither checked nor given first aid.

Students Doctor at LUTH were the doctors on duty at the Children Emergency Ward and said there is nothing they could do. We were referred to Randle General Hospital in Surulere same night same thursday, On getting to Randle, we were waiting for the Doctor while the baby was vomitting seriously and only for the Doctor to announce that he could not be treated there.

We were referred to MASSE General Hospital at Lagos Island same night same day. At Masse hospital, we were told no space to admit him as they have alot of babies to be administered upon. And someone suggested we go to FMC (Federal Medical Center) at Apapa via IDDO Oyingbo. We drove there again same night and on getting there they said they don't do blood transfusion there.

Finally we gave up and decided to go back home around 1 am Friday morning, baby Salman was still battling with life, we decided to locate Gbagada General Hospital on our way back to our private hospital and we lost our way only to end towards Berger instead of Oshodi to locate Gbagada, alas we ended up in an accident.

I rammed under a container truck that was packed on the highway without any safety indication, no back light, no reflective red sticker showing the trailer was not moving, l was about avoiding a trailer that was blowing out heavy smoke, and gradually slammed on my brake immediately l saw the packed trailer and miraculously my car ran under the trailer behind got the car bonnet flattened almost damaging my windscreen and then l knew God was with us as l was push back my seat with something like an airbag and the car came to an halt.

The driver quickly kick start and move the trailer as fast as he could, l came down and was shivering and checked the car, found out the engine was intact and my wife and baby too was save behind me. I had no injury in the process because my seat belt too held me tight and my car airbag was intact as well.

We drove down and headed towards our private hospital. Baby Salman was still breathing. On getting to the hospital he was placed on the drip, injections and oxygen. He was responding and at about 4:30 am Friday morning we headed for Gbagada General Hospital was he was still breathing. We got relived on getting to the children's ward seeing they are capable on reviving the baby.

While waiting for the doctor to come, my wife whispered to me that he was dead. At this moment tears rolled down freely and was calmed by the doctor on arrival. My baby struggled for life, yearning for revival through those journeys he never gave up, baby Salman was a 7months baby delivered in a normal birth even with already discharged placenta in the womb. He came out strong and smiling at will, after 2 days after delivery we were discharged. My hospital was at fault here because we were not willing to go home due to his prematurity but the doctor said we could go home. He ought have been placed on intensive care.

Now l shared this experience with everyone that need to know and to learn from me. Either way l was wrong or right but l know the government owes everybody a duty of care and that can be sued and or be sued for.

Please share my story to everyone on your list maybe it will get to the table of one those killers in government, health ministries, general hospitals and the society at large.

I lost my baby boy to a system failure.

Samson

Please moderators l will be happy and fulfilled if this post hit the front page.
Sorry for the loss, may his soul rest in peace. Sincerely speaking, ordinary unripe pawpaw would have solved that problem. African, especially Nigerian has herbal solution to all dieases. we have abandoned our tradition. ordinary unripe pawpaw would have cured the little child. cut the pawpaw into pieces, soak it and leave it till next morning start giving the baby little and bath him with. he will hail and healthy.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by UjSizzle(f): 9:35am On Jun 01, 2015
I'm sorry cry May baby Salman rest in peace and God grant you and the wife comfort.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by madjune(m): 9:42am On Jun 01, 2015
This is heartbreaking.
Considering the fact that this man drove round Lagos through the night and in the thick of fuel scarcity at 500naira a litre...

I can only say, my brother you gave your best.

You've suffered too much.

May God comfort you and bring blessings to renew you and our wife as we mourn the death of your baby.

So sad we suffer so much in this country.

5 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Bridgovoks: 9:43am On Jun 01, 2015
My heart went out to you and ur boy , may God console u and madam. Pls next time do nt bother to go to any govt hospital, as parents it is a must we have names and addresses of good children's clinic around us. May God comfort u and ur wife.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by rosy27(f): 9:44am On Jun 01, 2015
i dont comment like this in any topic but when i saw this am close to tears cus the same thing happened when i gave birth to my son. I took care of the pregnancy at a teaching hospital, when the preg was around 7months i went for check up and complain that am having contraction, having know that am carring twins, the doctor said its nothing and i went my way. When the preg was somedays to 8months i startd having contraction again but this time very painful and the doctors were on strike nationwide then. So i was rushed to a private hospital where they no nothing about the preg,no record at all, no ultrasound to know if the position of the babies. I was rushed in to the labour room, the first twin came,but there was membrane in between the second twin, i labour for close to 3hrs after the first twin but they did not know wat was blocking the baby eventually the babay died. The first twin was in the nursery when i notice he was stretching some how, i went to tell doc and nurses, they said he is behaving as if he is still in the womb but i insist they check him that was when they decided to do EBT for him which they could not find the unblical cord cente or something like that, they later told me they could not do left him to die but God saved him miraculously. He is still alive till todat. He is ten months now
May God give u reason to laugh again ijn amen

8 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by uyiekpenm(f): 9:44am On Jun 01, 2015
porshuch:
jaundice is silent killer disease in infants, sorry for the loss. if you want effective jaundice treatment , pls visit OUTREACH CHILDREN HOSPITAL, they have branches at okota, festac and satellite town, they give best treatment to babies, I rate them as the best children hospital in lagos.

Exactly outreach is the best children hospital. I can attest to that.
RIP baby Salman.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by onatisi(m): 9:50am On Jun 01, 2015
rosy27:
i dont comment like this in any topic but when i saw this am close to tears cus the same thing happened when i gave birth to my son. I took care of the pregnancy at a teaching hospital, when the preg was around 7months i went for check up and complain that am having contraction, having know that am carring twins, the doctor said its nothing and i went my way. When the preg was somedays to 8months i startd having contraction again but this time very painful and the doctors were on strike nationwide then. So i was rushed to a private hospital where they no nothing about the preg,no record at all, no ultrasound to know if the position of the babies. I was rushed in to the labour room, the first twin came,but there was membrane in between the second twin, i labour for close to 3hrs after the first twin but they did not know wat was blocking the baby eventually the babay died. The first twin was in the nursery when i notice he was stretching some how, i went to tell doc and nurses, they said he is behaving as if he is still in the womb but i insist they check him that was when they decided to do EBT for him which they could not find the unblical cord cente or something like that, they later told me they could not do left him to die but God saved him miraculously. He is still alive till todat. He is ten months now
I fear nigerian doctors,nurses and hospitals ooooo. This your story is really chilling, I read here some few months back how a man lost his wife due the negligence and unprofessional attitude of nigeria doctors .
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by onatisi(m): 9:54am On Jun 01, 2015
Bridgovoks:
My heart went out to you and ur boy , may God console u and madam. Pls next time do nt bother to go to any govt hospital, as parents it is a must we have names and addresses of good children's clinic around us. May God comfort u and ur wife.
the problem is most sectors of our society and economy don't have customers and clients review. I believe that if there is a website where ppl can give review about the quality of service rendered in organisations ,ppl will know where to go for quality service.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by StealthyMe(m): 9:58am On Jun 01, 2015
Stories like this get very emotional and are a constant reminder of the fact that the health sector is gangrened and in need of a total revamp.
I really hope that the present administration would look into the health sector to forestall preventable deaths... undecided

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by ifeayi99: 9:58am On Jun 01, 2015
What so ever you've witness in this, exactly the way u feel it ,bad or good ,law of karma will visit anybody involve with the same feeling u have that's all I can say and it'll work am sure of it cry
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Nobody: 9:59am On Jun 01, 2015
so sad....

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by hopilo: 10:02am On Jun 01, 2015
uyiekpenm:

Exactly outreach is the best children hospital. I can attest to that.
RIP baby Salman.
You guys are busy advertising private hospitals, what happen to the budget for health in Lagos state this past 8 years?

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by kukuruku156(f): 10:04am On Jun 01, 2015
madjune:
This is heartbreaking.
Considering the fact that this man drove round Lagos through the night and in the thick of fuel scarcity at 500naira a litre...

I can only say, my brother you gave your best.

You've suffered too much.

May God comfort you and bring blessings to renew you and our wife as we mourn the death of your baby.

So sad we suffer so much in this country.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by ifeayi99: 10:04am On Jun 01, 2015
Am sorry for ur lost ,but anybody involved will not go unpunished, may the law of karma visit anybobdy involved in this and make them teast and feel exactly the same way cry
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by VintageCocktail(m): 10:13am On Jun 01, 2015
Sincerely speaking, there is need for grassroot overhauling and revamping of Nigerian health system.

Each and every foot soldier in the health sector needs serious refresher courses on the importance and value of human life.

Take heart and may the good Lord grant you triplets and the fortitude to bear the loss.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by vega84(m): 10:16am On Jun 01, 2015
Dieumerci:

But Sir, Nigeria is not an evil country.
is nt an evil country is a holy country abi? U better mind ur business b4 u provoke me more this mornin! #vegatalks

3 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lionshare: 10:17am On Jun 01, 2015
saheedandu:

I will like to tell u my own similar story too,I lost a friend on d 30th of may,he had an accident and we rushed him to igbobi,dey said dey don't treat patient like DAT DAT we shld take him to luth,getting to luth arnd 3am dey treated him and ask us to buy so many tins DAT later end up as waste,wen dey know DAT he needs a surgery only for dem to delay us till 9am b4 dey knew we had to do scan for d head and some part of d body,we were d nurse cos we practically took him to every centre cos no nurse to help,NEPA took light and b4 dere gen could go on took like 30min,to cut d long story short dey find out wat we already knew DAT he needs surgery on his head,only for dem to tell us dere is no lyt to do d surgery DAT we shld go to lasuth,getting to lasuth d doctor categorically said he won't work on him cos he just finish a surgery,den we started begging dis doctor oo,DAT took like 3hrs,finally he agreed only for him to tell us to go back to luth to go and collect referal letter wen my friend is dieing without bin attended to and my friend still dey breathe by dis tym oo,all dis arnd 6.30pm,before referal letter arrive d guy gave up,my friend a masters holder while also writing his PhD exams while also working @gtbank vault department... he's 32yrs,Mr yinka ogunmakin R.I.P.P

This very story brought tears to my eyes! Aside, being emotional Nigerian Health Workers don't give a hoot about their patients. They are so lackadaisical about their work, and if you are not willing to grease their palm they wont do nada, I dont get it; why must i pay you to do your own job? I am not holding forth for the government, but its obvious the Immediate past governor of lagos made some improvements on the health sector, but don't be surprised that some workers are diverting resources meant for the hospital for their own self aggrandizement. This is unfair, a lot of people are dying....

@Op i am sorry for your loss and I pray heaven grant you the fortitude to bear the loss. Also, i think its imperative that you sue the private hospital where your son was delivered and I wish there is a way we can get government to comment on this matter.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lighternote: 10:28am On Jun 01, 2015
At a time like this, you wonder what then Lagosians mean when they scream, "Fashola is working", when he could not even boast of reliable, sustainable, effective health care delivery.
At Op, accept my heartfelt condolences. While this is not to reprimand you but in all these wild goose chase in the night, you could have gone to St. Nicholas on the Island. They are well equipped in human and material resources to take care of ur baby, well they ask for deposit later. Even if you can't afford the eventual sum, you garden for them provided baby Salman is smiling.
Once again, accept my heartfelt condolences.

For readers, Outreach Hospital, 4th avenue, Festac is a very good pediatric establishment. Go straight to there instead of running to these morgues in the name if government hospitals.

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by iwatchandlisten(m): 10:28am On Jun 01, 2015
OH Jesus Christ have mercy on us all...i feel your pain, even as i shed a tear when got to the part where the wife whispered the dreaded words. May Salman's soul rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by lighternote: 10:38am On Jun 01, 2015
I hope you didn't refuse emergency cs in the private hospital or was it not equipped for that. How could you labour aimlessly for 3hours after twin 1? Naija healthcare delivery eee, olorun maje!
rosy27:

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by stonecoldcafe: 10:42am On Jun 01, 2015
@wasamtech God knows. May he cause you and your dear wife to smile again. This is my earnest prayer for you.

It is well...

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by stonecoldcafe: 10:49am On Jun 01, 2015
helovesme:
I still can't get my head around the fact that the Doctor sent home the very next day a pre term baby at 7months. sad

Even if they did not have the facilities to cater for pre term births, why wasn't the child referred to a government hospital or another hospital that's adequately equipped to handle such situations.

If they could refer the child when jaundice was discovered, why wasn't the baby referred immediately after birth.

I hope this is not a case of the parents insisting on "discharging their child" and taking him home "in faith" as it's a well known fact that a pre term child requires round the clock care and it is very expensive (both in private and government hospitals). Maybe they could not afford the cost of hospital care.

Whatever the reason maybe, government needs to do better in the heathcare sector.

May God comfort you and your family. Amen.

I'm going to call you out here as per the bolded. That was a very very insensitive thing to say to op. He may have replied you in good faith but don't think you can get away with that behaviour with say a woman or another person. Be careful. I've heard people pass sincere condolence and say hurtful things at the same time. Do you know what that does? You rubbish your good effort and leave the person further traumatised.

Learn from this and keep quiet on such issues. Read op's first post on this topic again and you'd see he was not comfortable about the baby being discharged early.

5 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by juman(m): 10:50am On Jun 01, 2015
The story look like tales by moon light. I sniff it was just a make up story.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by rosy27(f): 11:00am On Jun 01, 2015
lighternote:
I hope you didn't refuse emergency cs in the private hospital or was it not equipped for that. How could you labour aimlessly for 3hours after twin 1? Naija healthcare delivery eee, olorun maje!
thats another case entirely.the doctors on duty were not competent enough to take delivery not to talk of cs and it was in the night between 11pm and 4am.infact they needed to be taking instructions frm their oga on phone cus he was not around before they know what they will do next.it was the oga that suggested its membrane that they should rupture it.cus i was very aware of everthing that was going on. This private hospital is one of the best o. We spent close to 200k just in two weeks that my baby was kept in the nursery. May God help us
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by patfem(m): 11:04am On Jun 01, 2015
What a pathetic story.....
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by onatisi(m): 11:13am On Jun 01, 2015
saheedandu:

I will like to tell u my own similar story too,I lost a friend on d 30th of may,he had an accident and we rushed him to igbobi,dey said dey don't treat patient like DAT DAT we shld take him to luth,getting to luth arnd 3am dey treated him and ask us to buy so many tins DAT later end up as waste,wen dey know DAT he needs a surgery only for dem to delay us till 9am b4 dey knew we had to do scan for d head and some part of d body,we were d nurse cos we practically took him to every centre cos no nurse to help,NEPA took light and b4 dere gen could go on took like 30min,to cut d long story short dey find out wat we already knew DAT he needs surgery on his head,only for dem to tell us dere is no lyt to do d surgery DAT we shld go to lasuth,getting to lasuth d doctor categorically said he won't work on him cos he just finish a surgery,den we started begging dis doctor oo,DAT took like 3hrs,finally he agreed only for him to tell us to go back to luth to go and collect referal letter wen my friend is dieing without bin attended to and my friend still dey breathe by dis tym oo,all dis arnd 6.30pm,before referal letter arrive d guy gave up,my friend a masters holder while also writing his PhD exams while also working @gtbank vault department... he's 32yrs,Mr yinka ogunmakin R.I.P.P
another one !!!!!!!!! Kilode !!! I have read up to 6 different stories on this thread and the thread is still on page 3!!! I think this 6 stories might even be a tip of the iceberg. This will continue UNTIL AND UNLESS WE BECOME THE CHANGE WE wANt. I think we can use this thread to start an organisation that will take up issues and complains like this ,with publicity and the social media help ,things can and will improve. The point is all the acts of negligence continue because noone talks about it and the doctors involve knows that the society will forget with time ,but once doctors arre brought to the spotlight and all eyes on them ,both the ministry of health,hospitals and doctors will sit up and do the right thing.

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by divaoflife: 11:23am On Jun 01, 2015
R.I.P Baby Salman
May God comfort you.
Crazy system.

1 Like

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Infomizer(m): 11:27am On Jun 01, 2015
wasamtech:

I had given vengeance to God otherwise l would have either sue the hospital for negligence or even blacklist them by publishing their hospital address and phone numbers on the internet to prevent patronage.

We were completely ignorant of the health situation of the baby and thereby put our trust in the hospital as they so called professionals.

Thanks

I'm really sorry for your loss but your exact line of action is why it'll happen again. This is why another careless unprofessional advice will cost another innocent life. We can't rely on the govt. to do everything. Sanitizing the healthcare sector is going to take a while even if the govt. looks into it. So between now and then, should we allow precious lives to keep being lost? No.

What we can do is to make them pay! No amount is worth an human life but when doctors begin to lose their medical licenses or jobs after a very heavy lawsuit then hospitals and hospital personnel will sit up. Maybe I'm not being realistic because I'm livid. This lackadaisical gamble with human lives has to stop. Accept my condolences, but don't let his death be in vain.

2 Likes

Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by bemyguest(f): 11:38am On Jun 01, 2015
cry take heart. I pray thte good lord give you strenght to bear the loss. What a sad story. Both the hospital that discharged your baby boy when he's supposed to still be in incubator and the systems are not encouraging at all.

than God for Change of govt and administration. I believe there is still much hope for Nigeria.
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by Behira(f): 11:38am On Jun 01, 2015
cry Very Painful.......RIP to the Dead
Re: I Lost My Baby To A System Failure by delpee(f): 11:39am On Jun 01, 2015
May you and your wife be consoled and blessed with more children that will gladden your heart. It's such a sad story but God will glorify Himself in your life as you surrender to His will.

I hope that some of those in the health sector are reading this and thinking of solutions. Our healthcare delivery system MUST improve.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Strange Disease Kills 50 People In Kogi State / Kano Moves To Unravel Cause Of Mass Deaths / My Experience As A Kidney Failure Patient In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.