Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria (27521 Views)

8 avoidable excuses people use as reasons for divorce. / Male Infertility, This Is What I Am Dealing With / Bombshell As Fertility Study In Nigeria Shows Male Infertility Rates Higher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:56am On May 31, 2015
Keeping Mobile Phone in Pocket grin grin grin ( too late,most had 3 phones in their pockets for 7 consecutive years )

A finding by some researchers at the University of Exeter England released earlier this June shows that keeping mobile phone in the pocket could affect sperm quality. They found out that exposure to cell phone radiation lowers sperm motility by 8% and viability by 9%. This finding is still a controversial one but it would be safer to keep away mobile phones from the pocket as much as possible. Radiationresearch.org gave the following recommendations in their save-the-males campaign:

Keep your mobile phone out of your trouser pocket

· Do not text holding your phone at waist level

· Limit your daily use

· Switch it off at night (or as much as possible)

Heavy Drinking grin

It is said that alcohol affects the body’s ability to absorb zinc which is a nutrient vital for healthy sperm. It’s still unclear what quantity of alcohol is bad but it’s advisable to stay away from it as much as possible, especially heavy drinking.

Oxidative Stress

Another thing that can cause male infertility is oxidative stress. This is linked to lifestyle factors such as obesity, diet, pollutants, smoking and alcohol. Taking antioxidant supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin C, folic acid etc. is said to increase fertility.

Poor Diet

Diet should be holistic. A healthy diet will help maintain a healthy sperm count and an poor diet otherwise. It is advisable that one eats foods that will guarantee the general health of the body.( stop eating akpu and Amala without meat,poverty is bad wallahi)

Excessive Exercise

Exercise is good for the body but its excess especially when it is combined with body building steroids can decrease the production of testosterone and thereby lower sperm count.

Frequent Sex grin grin grin grin ( some already wasted all their babies at NYSC camp)

Too much sex can decrease the quality of sperm cells. It is advised that couples wishing to conceive should limit intercourse to every two or three days.

Exposure To Heat

Heat from laptops, wearing tight underpants grin and other things that could increase the temperature around the testicles could cause low sperm count. As much as possible, it is advised that the general crotch area should be kept cool. ( some have fried their spermatozoa like dodo since)

Untreated Infection

When STIs are not treated on time, it could result in infertility. Chlamydia infection, Gonorrhoea, Mumps etc can affect fertility and even cause sterility.

Exposure to Pesticides and other Chemicals

It has been found that exposure to pesticides and other harmful chemicals can affect sperm quality and quantity. Agricultural workers and fumigators in Nigeria need to be mindful of this. Some other chemicals like paints, adhesives and coatings have also been found to double the risk of fertility problems. Men working with chemicals are therefore advised to wear the appropriate protective gear and reduce their exposure to the chemicals as much as possible.

Doping

Sniffing drugs like cocaine and cannabis can impair fertility in males. It is said that “cannabis seems to have a dramatic effect on sperm, making them swim too fast and “burn out” before they reach the egg”. Some prescribed drugs can also affect fertility; it is advised that a man seeking to conceive should consult the doctor before taking any drug.

Other things that could cause male infertility include stress, ageing, radiation (x-rays, radiotherapy etc.), and excessive weight. With this understanding, it would be wise for Nigerian men especially those seeking offspring to take note of the things that could be responsible for infertility so that they can play their part in making sure they also reproduce in life. It may not be a jinx or spell or lack of God’s favour that is causing infertility; it may just be personal negligence and ignorance. The following healthy practices are suggested by infertilitynigeria..com for any man having problem with infertility:

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/xz-articles/10-habits-that-might-cause-male-infertility-in-nigeria.19/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:58am On May 31, 2015
Frequent sex
Una don hear am?

Royalroy Oya lift this thread higher grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by RoyalRoy(m): 2:12am On May 31, 2015
Hmmm Frequent drinking.....Lollz.

I guess the quality of life of a man is determined by his lifestyle.

Nice piece!!!

22 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 4:02am On May 31, 2015
Smokers.

Men who are highly addicted to tobacco or nicotine are prone to producing defective sperm cells which could lead to lack of conception in their female mates or high rate of miscarriage When the females take in.
http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2003/01/6042.html
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Fertility researchers at the University at Buffalo have shown that nicotine and cotinine, a substance produced by nicotine's breakdown, cause sperm to change in ways that could reduce fertility potential. -

Some excerpt from few studies.
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/news/20100910/smokers-sperm-less-fertile
Previous studies show that men who smoke are less fertile than men who don't smoke. Now a research team led by Mohamad Eid Hammadeh, PhD, professor of obstetrics and gynecology a the University of the Saarland, Homburg/Saar, Germany, have learned why.

Human sperm cells carry two tiny, highly charged proteins called protamine 1 and protamine 2. Nature keeps them in a perfectly balanced one-to-one relationship. But in smokers, Hammadeh and colleagues find, sperm cells carry too little protamine 2. This imbalance makes them highly vulnerable to DNA damage.

"The DNA alphabet of these sperm has one or two letters missing. And this cannot be repaired," Hammadeh tells WebMD. "When we inject these damaged sperm into an egg cell, the sperm is not capable of fertilizing the cell. And even if it does, the [miscarriage] rate is very high."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3719292/
had a fertility rate of 80% while the recovery group for 1.0 mg/kg B.W. had a fertility rate of 60% (Table 3). Female rats cohabited with male rats from the high-dose group did not conceive throughout the study period. However, these effects were reversible after nicotine was withdrawn from the rats.
There are many other studies out there which prove it. So gentlemen if you and your wife are trying to conceive or if you hope to marry and have a child someday, you might want to consider withdrawing from smoking and your body time (it could take a few years depending on how addicted to smoking you are) to heal and stop producing damaged sperm cells which can't fertilize an egg or can't survive the womb even after fertilization.

6 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by greatgod2012(f): 5:32am On May 31, 2015
I pity my fellow women who are looking unto God's face for the fruits of the womb! Very unfortunate! In every 8 out of 10 childless marriages, it is the wives that are usually accussed of barreness, it is the wives that would be subjected to various fertility tests, both medical and traditional, some are very painful, while some are highly embarrassing! It is the wives that are scorned in the society and even in the family, and the men, no, they won't go for any test o. They are automatically fertile.
Ok, wind don blow now, we don see fowl yansh............men, go and do fertility tests on your selves before accussing your wives of barreness!

Very educating piece, @op.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by markidoo(m): 7:06am On May 31, 2015
Babe why on earth wud u mention cannabis for a cause of infertility in men. If i may ask do u knw what cannabis means? Babe in my own case i have gotten more girls pregnant after my normal cannabis doseage. I have 3kids 4rm 3different babymamas. Laughs n mimicks Shoa Khan* don't make me laugh*

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Jamean(f): 2:11pm On May 31, 2015
Curses from all the ladies they played and disappointed in the past tongue

3 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Chimarto: 2:52pm On May 31, 2015
babyosisi:
Frequent sex Una don hear am?
we must do tonight
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by ApexTitan(m): 6:19pm On May 31, 2015
This thread is at best a joke, the product of Nollywood science.

Babyosisi why the new found focus on male fertility?

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by iykedare(m): 6:29pm On May 31, 2015
Funny thread.

Anyway,I'm guilty of excessive exercise and sex. But can sex be excessive? Op,sex can't be excessive.

Babyosisi and her topics on nl.....

I know how it would end. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by xynerise: 7:56pm On May 31, 2015
Everything is OK by me but definitely not frequent sex. Mehn! That is my favourite hobby

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Beremx(f): 8:45pm On May 31, 2015
xynerise:
Everything is OK by me but definitely not frequent sex. Mehn! That is my favourite hobby
abeg take it easy on madam skydeep abi wetin be that her moniker again?
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:15am On Jun 01, 2015
ApexTitan:
This thread is at best a joke, the product of Nollywood science.

Babyosisi why the new found focus on male fertility?

Haba this is just the second one na
Most of my threads are female oriented and male fertility is part of it.we are interested in the contents of the package

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by xynerise: 7:40am On Jun 01, 2015
Beremx:
abeg take it easy on madam skydeep abi wetin be that her moniker again?
She ain't complaining tongue
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 01, 2015
babyosisi:
Frequent sex
Una don hear am?

I totally disagree with this. The testicles produces and replaces the sperms whenever there's shortage.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 1:04pm On Jun 01, 2015
You didn't add endless fasting and prayers, patronizing prophets and babalawos, washing their heads with suck away water and eating numerous polluted concoction in dirty little calabash, sleeping with pastors and kidnapping babies so that they can escape being called barren or escape being thrown out of the house grin
greatgod2012:
I pity my fellow women who are looking unto God's face for the fruits of the womb! Very unfortunate! In every 8 out of 10 childless marriages, it is the wives that are usually accussed of barreness, it is the wives that would be subjected to various fertility tests, both medical and traditional, some are very painful, while some are highly embarrassing! It is the wives that are scorned in the society and even in the family, and the men, no, they won't go for any test o. They are automatically fertile.
Ok, wind don blow now, we don see fowl yansh............men, go and do fertility tests on your selves before accussing your wives of barreness!

Very educating piece, @op.
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 01, 2015
Guilty of tight underpants but not always.
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by NifemiOlu(m): 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2015
Phone in the pocket?

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Stillfire: 3:04pm On Jun 01, 2015
Also add any guy that drinks Alomo or whatever nonsense they call it like it's going out of fashion is highly suspect of having a very useless pe.nis! Many Nigerian men today cannot have an erec..tion without taking those concoctions. They've become so addicted to it. Girls be wise!

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2015
Stillfire:
Also add any guy that drinks Alomo or whatever nonsense they call it like it's going out of fashion is highly suspect of having a very useless pe.nis! Many Nigerian men today cannot have an erec..tion without taking those concoctions. They've become so addicted to it. Girls be wise!

How do you know this wink grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Stillfire: 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2015
Chillisauce:

How do you know this wink grin

From research. Tehehehe cheesy Why do you think we have so many angry men here? grin Weak di.ck syndrome. Tehehe.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Begonia(m): 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
SAMBARRY:
You didn't add endless fasting and prayers, patronizing prophets and babalawos, washing their heads with suck away water

Nooooooooo! Exaggeration! grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
Stillfire:

From research. Tehehehe cheesy Why do you think we have so many angry men here? grin Weak di.ck syndrome. Tehehe.
Oh ok grin
They might not have weak di.ck syndrome in all holes wink.

Maybe weak di.ck syndrome in female vigínal holes. The thing fit strong for fellow men bůtt hole or even goat cùnts.

grin

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by cococandy(f): 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2015
Chillisauce:

Oh ok grin

Maybe weak di.ck syndrome in female vigínal holes. The thing fit strong for fellow men bůtt hole or even goat cùnts.

grin

grin you've started.
Abeg stop.

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Stillfire: 3:39pm On Jun 01, 2015
Chillisauce:

Oh ok grin

grin

Buhahahaha!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin Have you noticed the increase in catching Nigerian men poking goats? Lord have mercy! shocked

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 4:25pm On Jun 01, 2015
wink
Begonia:

Nooooooooo! Exaggeration! grin
cheesy

you nor dey watch nollywood home video ni cheesy

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 01, 2015
Stillfire:

Buhahahaha!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin Have you noticed the increase in catching Nigerian men poking goats? Lord have mercy! shocked

Even Namas (cows ). There was one Kanwulia posted here . The man was even trying to jump up to enter the nama hole. Ayama!.
I won't be shocked if some dey even poke hen sef. The frustration can tell grin.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by SAMBARRY: 4:48pm On Jun 01, 2015
Stillfire:
paraga mixed with all sorts of nonsense with well water and prepared in a very unhygienic condition nko?
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:19pm On Jun 01, 2015
NifemiOlu:
Phone in the pocket?

It may be late for you now dear
Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by NifemiOlu(m): 10:34pm On Jun 01, 2015
babyosisi:

It may be late for you now dear

Only a goof would believe phone radiation kills sperm. There has been no conclusive study on it. You can as well tell me masts cause cancer as many people used to believe until they were proved wrong.
Also remember to add to the first point where it says "this June", it's not this June. It's June 2014. To be precise, 10th June, Tuesday, 2014. 8:42am

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons For Male Infertility In Nigeria by Mbkite(m): 11:50am On Jun 02, 2015
Pls can u kindly remove d part that says "frequent sex" for us. Na women dey always cause am...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Woman Delivered Of 25 Months Pregnancy - Miracle Working God / Help! How Can I Save My Kid Brother In-law From Taking meth? / Didi Adodo Dies Of COVID-19 Disease (Former Edo Commissioner)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.