Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:11 AM

11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' (1729 Views)

Soyinka Blasts Nigerians Asking Him To Tear His Green Card With Very Big Grammar / Experienced Old Author Looking For Sponsorer In Publishing Grammar Books / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 2] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 04, 2015
Above
Both the adjective in "the above explanation" and the noun in "the above is an explanation" annoyed plenty of folks in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Aggravate
The "to rouse to displeasure or anger by usually persistent and often petty goading" meaning aggravated critics from the late 1800s through much of the 20th century—despite the fact that the meaning dates to the early 1600s.

Balding

It was new in 1938 and disliked until it proved too useful.

Craft
The verb, as in "crafting a poem," wasn't common until the late 20th century, when people spurned it as an upstart. But it actually dates to the 15th century.

Debut
The verb in our above (ahem) sentence "National Grammar Day debuted in 2008" was frowned upon throughout the 20th century, and a transitive version like "Martha Brockenbrough debuted National Grammar Day in 2008" was considered even worse.

Finalize

It was common in Australia and New Zealand in the 1920s, but an object of derision in the U.S. for a long time.

Mentality
This word as used to mean "mode or way of thought" or "outlook" bothered some folks of a stodgy mentality in the early 20th century.

Out loud

For much of the 20th century, you'd be criticized for reporting that something was said "out loud" rather than "aloud."

Transpire

Using this to mean "to happen" a hundred years ago was a big no-no.

Upcoming
The word was new in the 1940s and condemned by some as "journalese."

Won't

It was described as "absolutely vulgar" (along with ain't) in an 1846 address to high school students—criticism that was piled onto more than a century of previous objections.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/blog/grammar-day-terms-that-used-to-be-considered-bad-grammar.htm
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by LogoDWhiz(m): 6:44pm On Jun 04, 2015
Okay!
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by GeneralQuamdeen: 7:11pm On Jun 04, 2015
I never think them as a bad grammar
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by emaculate99: 1:04am On Jun 05, 2015
...okay
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 07, 2015
GeneralQuamdeen:
I never think them as a bad grammar

were you the formulator of the English Language? ✘
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by GeneralQuamdeen: 1:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
Darkrebel666:

of course no... I sure do learn it
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by YoungDaNaval(m): 3:33pm On Jun 10, 2015
Darkrebel666:

Can I Partake As Judge in ya tourny?
Re: 11 Common Terms That Used To Be 'bad Grammar' by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 10, 2015
YoungDaNaval:
Can I Partake As Judge in ya tourny?

of course..go sign up ✘

(1) (Reply)

Morire’s Forbidden Tool Took Me To Heaven On A Couch (short Story) / The Wicked Housewife / I Didn't Caress The Teacher's Buttocks — I Only Dusted Dirt Off It... (1) (2)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.