Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:13 PM

Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. (2387 Views)

Total Strangers Marry At First Sight - New York Post / Is Obama Likely To Win His Relection Bid In The States? / Why Is Obama Refered To As A Black Man When He Is 50% Of Both Races? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by OgidiBoy(m): 12:40am On Feb 19, 2009
Gunned Down Chimp
stumble digg reddit del.ico.us mixx.com ShareThisFebruary 18, 2009 04:19 PM

I Like It I Don’t Like It Read More: Controversial Cartoon, Gunned Down Chimp, New York Post, New York Post Cartoon, Obama Chimp, Obama Layout, Obama Photo, Post Layout, Stimulus Chimp, Politics News

Show your support.
Buzz this article up.Buzz up! Get Breaking News Alerts

never spam
Share Print CommentsIn the page preceding a New York Post cartoon that depicts drafters of the stimulus legislation as a gun-downed chimpanzee, the paper published a large photo of Barack Obama signing that very piece of legislation.

The succession of the story and cartoon creates a rather jarring visualization for some readers. One person who pointed out the layout to the Huffington Post expressed bewilderment that anyone "would think that this is okay."

Indeed, reading through the paper one finds a spread image of Barack Obama signing the stimulus gracing the top of Page 11. The accompanying graphics breaks down the contents of the recovery package. The article details the new demands of the auto-industry for more government assistance.

Flipping over to Page 12, there is the now-infamous cartoon with two befuddled looking policeman standing over a shot-dead, crazed chimpanzee. The caption reads: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus."

The New York Post has defended the publication of the cartoon by Sean Delonas, saying that it "is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy."

Inside the paper, however, the mood is much less defiant. An employee of the paper told the Huffington Post that the phones have been ringing incessantly with complaints from readers and the general public. "As they f---ing should be," said the employee.

Meanwhile, the New York Times reports that "many Post staff members were dismayed by the cartoon."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/18/ny-post-put-obama-photo-o_n_168016.html
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 3:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
Anytime you put a black man in any kind of association with a monkey, people are bound to get upset.
  But this:
OgidiBoy:

there is the now-infamous cartoon with two befuddled looking policeman standing over a shot-dead, crazed chimpanzee. The caption reads: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/18/ny-post-put-obama-photo-o_n_168016.html
is just too too funny! grin
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by debosky(m): 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
grin grin grin

I think it's funny - the picture and cartoon appear on separate pages, and there WAS a chimp shot in Connecticut this week, so it can be read in any way you please.

One is :

The chimp wrote the stimulus package (i.e it's crazy, stupid, can never work) and now he's dead, you need someone else to write it.

Granted, some may think it refers to Obama, but I don't think so. It probably was in bad taste because it can easily be misinterpreted, but we can't be hypersensitive about everything.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 4:23pm On Feb 19, 2009
This is why I despise Republicans. This is clearly racist!!!

Those White racist RRR KKK Republicans are cowards! They are upset about the stimulus package and use this form of prejudicial, racist, bigoted cartoon to express their displeasure.
[size=18pt]
Those who say this is not racist have confirmed beyond *any* reasonable doubt that they are completely and utterly ignorant of racism in America. Period!
[/size]
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2009
[size=18pt]Commentary: NY Post cartoon is racist and careless[/size]

* Story Highlights
    * Roland Martin: NY Post cartoon combines stimulus with shooting of a chimp
    * He says the cartoon inevitably makes people think of backer of stimulus bill
    * Martin: Clearly the bill was the first priority for President Obama
    * He says anyone who knows history would know that the cartoon is offensive

By Roland S. Martin
CNN Contributor

Editor's note: A nationally syndicated columnist, Roland S. Martin is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith" and "Speak, Brother! A Black Man's View of America." Visit his Web site for more information.

(CNN) -- President Obama earned kudos from the media when he said he screwed up in nominating Tom Daschle as secretary of Health and Human Services despite his problem with paying taxes.

Too bad the leadership of the New York Post didn't follow the lead of the president in admitting that an editorial cartoon they ran today by Sean Delonas was offensive, careless and racist.

If you haven't seen the editorial in question, it shouldn't take you long to figure out that the subtle message was clear: comparing President Obama to a chimpanzee.

In the cartoon, a cop is holding a smoking gun and, with another officer, looking at a bullet-riddled body of a chimpanzee. The caption reads: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill." New York Post: See Sean Delonas cartoons

In a statement to The Associated Press, Col Allan, the Post's editor-in-chief, said the cartoon was an obvious reference to the story of a chimp in Connecticut that viciously attacked a woman and was killed by police.

"The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy. Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist," he said, referencing a news release the civil rights activist sent out blasting the paper and demanding an apology.

Delonas, the cartoonist, said to CNN, "It's absolutely friggin ridiculous. Do you really think I'm saying Obama should be shot? I didn't see that in the cartoon. The chimpanzee was a major story in the Post. Every paper in New York, except The New York Times, covered the chimpanzee story. It's just ridiculous. It's about the economic stimulus bill. If you're going to make that about anybody, it would be [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi, which it's not."

To the editors who approved the cartoon, as well as the cartoonist, the piece was clearly all fun and laughs. [size=14pt]But anyone with half a brain[/size], especially someone knowing the history of African-Americans being called monkeys and gorillas, would have said, "We need to rethink this."

First, mixing the two stories is ridiculous. Yes, the chimpanzee incident and the passage of the stimulus bill have a lot of folks talking, but to put them in the same element just doesn't make sense.

Second, the cartoonist didn't hang a sign around the neck of the chimp, so he left it up to the reader to determine exactly who the cops were referring to.

We all know that the stimulus bill was the first priority of the new president, so when reading the caption, it was easy to infer that the cartoonist was implying the president of the United States.

You know, the black guy.

And that's where the problem comes in.

What could be seen as silly humor if President George W. Bush were in the White House has to be seen through the lens of America's racist past, as noted by the leaders of the New York Association of Black Journalists, who also are demanding an apology from the Post.

"How do you think the Jewish community would feel about the use of rats in any depiction of them? How do you think the Italian community would feel about being generalized with mobsters?" the organization said in a statement.

[size=14pt]"Monkey slurs against Africans and African-Americans go back to the days of early colonialism, when Anglo Saxon, Spanish and Portuguese conquerors used these types of drawings and descriptions to dehumanize black people so that their mistreatment and enslavement would not be viewed as wrong or sinful. The practice also took on more sinister roles later in history including during the slave trade here in the U.S. and in Hitler's Nazi Germany."[/size]

Ignorant leaders of the New York Post and others may think everything is fair game, and certainly criticizing the president of the United States is just fine. Yet while everyone seems to be caught up in the delusion of a post-racial America, we cannot forget the reality of the racial America, where African-Americans were treated and portrayed as inferior and less than others.

And just as some members of the media brotherhood were taken to task for their obvious sexism during the Democratic primaries because of comments about then-Sen. Hillary Clinton, we had to be sensitive to the historical treatment of women.

Oh yes, the Post will have its defenders, accusing African-Americans and others of being hypersensitive. The Post has already shown its hand by trying to make this all about Sharpton, since they know he's the black bogeyman to white America. But they should understand that my e-mail box and Facebook page are filled with comments from folks of different backgrounds stunned by the callousness of the Post.

I guess it's fitting the cartoon ran today, because the best statement to sum up the issue can be taken from a black history month speech given today by our first black attorney general, Eric Holder.

"Even as we fight a war against terrorism, deal with the reality of electing an African-American as our president for the first time and deal with the other significant issues of the day, the need to confront our racial past -- and our racial present, and to understand the history of African people in this country -- endures," he said.

[size=14pt]"One cannot truly understand America without understanding the historical experience of black people in this nation. Simply put, to get to the heart of this country, one must examine its racial soul."[/size]

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Roland Martin.

Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 6:13pm On Feb 19, 2009
Richyblack, you and Roland Martin need to lighten up!  undecided

debosky:

I think it's funny - the picture and cartoon appear on separate pages, and there WAS a chimp shot in Connecticut this week, so it can be read in any way you please.
    The cartoonist was very very clever with the way it was set up.

Granted, some may think it refers to Obama, but I don't think so. It probably was in bad taste because it can easily be misinterpreted, but we can't be hypersensitive about everything.
  thank you jare. Obama is still president cartoon or no cartoon. Black people need to relax and stop being drama queens and not hyperventilate at every appearance of an insult.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:26pm On Feb 19, 2009
JeSoul:

Richyblack, you and Roland Martin need to lighten up!  undecided
    The cartoonist was very very clever with the way it was set up.
  thank you jare. Obama is still president cartoon or no cartoon. Black people need to relax and stop being drama queens and not hyperventilate at every appearance of an insult.

There is nothing light about racism, nothing!

That journalist and the New York Post must apologize!

After that, then I can lighten up. undecided
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:35pm On Feb 19, 2009
Source: The Huffington Post

[size=18pt]The Cartoon and Trafficking in Racial Symbolism[/size]

I'm a fan of political cartoons and political satire. When well done, they can humorously humble those overrun with hubris, subvert stodgy convention, and speak truth to power. I understand satire can sometimes be harsh and be painful to some. But Sean Delonas' cartoon that recently ran in the New York Post -- with two policemen standing over a prostrate chimpanzee sporting two bullet holes and leaking blood under a caption "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill" -- doesn't meet any reasonable satire test. Indeed, the vile cartoon continues the degradation of our political discourse that has gone on too long. The difference here, however, is that it adds a heaping helping of racial symbolism to the mix.

The imagery of this cartoon is foul on at least two levels. First, the truth of police brutality is real in the black community and there are more than a few examples of police killing black people. Second, is the centuries-old degrading device of referring to black people as monkeys. It cannot be said that monkey in the cartoon refers to anyone else but President Barack Obama. This cartoon isn't referring to Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, or anyone else involved in it's passage. It's Obama's bill.

It's appropriate and necessary for the Right to oppose Obama on policy differences. That's the primary role of the loyal opposition. It's absolutely out of bounds to traffic in racism to give voice to that opposition. This is no small point. Obama's supporters must understand that if the Right is allowed to push this garbage with impunity, its volume will only increase. The Constitution offers us many guarantees, even those that make us cringe and angry. Those guarantees should be protected at all costs. But that doesn't mean those who promote racial symbolism should be able to do so in comfort.

I believe that there should be a place in our society for vigorous political debate; it's helps to make a society strong. I also believe that it would be a mistake to have media that comprehensively sings the virtues of any political, social, or cultural leader. But it's at least as dangerous to have a media, particularly a venue as powerful as the New York Post, that proffers racial imagery to attack those with which they disagree.

Delonas and the New York Post have hidden behind the horrific details of an event in Connecticut to traffic in racist imagery and gratuitous violence in the name of parody. This is cowardly and they should not be allowed to escape public scorn and ridicule. The aid and comfort they provide to those that have yet to make peace with the fact that the United States of America has a Black President should be met with the unified voices of reason. Make your voice heard: Letters@NYPost.com.

Michael K. Fauntroy is a professor, author, columnist, and commentator who blogs at MichaelFauntroy.com.

Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:42pm On Feb 19, 2009
The New York Post must pay for this insult on blacks. America is supposed to have moved beyond institutionalized racism but apparently the KKK is very pissed at a black man running the show in Washington DC and is using her minions in the media (New York Post) and in politics (almost all Republicans) to bring back the kind of prejudicial sentiments once pervasive in America.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2009
RichyBlacK:

There is nothing light about racism, nothing!

That journalist and the New York Post must apologize!

After that, then I can lighten up. undecided
  Indeed racism is serious but honestly while I think the subtle associationg is in poor taste, I do not in the least think that:
RichyBlacK:

The New York Post must pay for this insult on blacks.
  Common now Richy, don't you think you're over-reacting? It's just a cartoon that may or may not have been aimed at insulting Obama.

Offtopic: I see you're a Sade fan, you get the not-so-subtle sade reference in my location?  kiss smiley
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by KarmaMod(f): 6:56pm On Feb 19, 2009
As much as I dont care to agree with the obnoxious asinwin in this thread, such a comparison is bound to be seen as offensive.

The two pics arent on separate pages, they're on top of one of another. They're implying he's a monkey or that even a monkey could write such a bill or ONLY a monkey would think of creating such a bill.

Knowing how PC everything is nowadays in this country, one would think they'd be more cautious.

No one needs an apology cept for maybe Obama and even then I wouldnt be surprised if he's not bothered unlike certain drama queens.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 7:10pm On Feb 19, 2009
Somebody is looking for my trouble o. grin

One love!
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 7:14pm On Feb 19, 2009
KarmaMod:

As much as I dont care to agree with the obnoxious asinwin in this thread, such a comparison is bound to be seen as offensive.

The two pics arent on separate pages, they're on top of one of another. They're implying he's a monkey or that even a monkey could write such a bill or ONLY a monkey would think of creating such a bill.
 Most def. What amuses me is that they had an alibi all lined up - the other monkey that was shot dead in Connecticut.  lol It was creative, poor taste, but creative. And you're right if anyone it should be Obama who should feel insulted not the "entire black race".

Before we know it Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will soon organize a rally in Harlem for "black rights" against the cartoon. Like we don't have bigger problems facing the black community.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Busybody2(f): 7:21pm On Feb 19, 2009
Hmmn undecided What is funny and creative about the depiction of two police officers shooting a monkey undecided Is it me that is due an humour transplant undecided
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 7:27pm On Feb 19, 2009
@JeSoul, make I talk with better person jare

I understand where you're coming from but you have to realize that we cannot allow these subtle references to go unpunished. We must guard the position blacks have today because it can get worse quickly if we give them racists a "pass". It must be drilled into the head of the myriad bigots and racists in America that racism, especially against blacks (yes I'm a black man), will not be tolerated.

Do you think this racist cartoonist would have made a cartoon that could have been interpreted as being anti-Jewish or anti-Holocaust? First of all, the white buffoons who head the New York Post wouldn't have allow *any* cartoon that *could* be interpreted as anti-Semite to see the light of day. If it did, the ADL (Anti-Defamation League) will react swiftly and apologies will be tendered even more swiftly!

But when it is blacks, people of middle-eastern background, Hispanics, etc., they want us to "deal with it". Na lie! The New York Post must apologize because this issue is going nowhere until they swallow their foolish white pride and apologize to blacks for this insult.

Off topic: "Lovers Rock" is one of her albums, truly not-so-subtle, more like in-your-face grin. My current favorite is "Lovers Live". Sade's music is powerful! It serenades me with a feeling I can only describe as "futuristic nostalgia". I love her music and I'm a dedicated fan. Seems you're also a Sade fan. Are you?
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by debosky(m): 7:29pm On Feb 19, 2009
Busy_body:

Hmmn undecided What is funny and creative about the depiction of two police officers shooting a monkey undecided Is it me that is due an humour transplant undecided
It is funny - A real monkey was shot this week.

STAMFORD, Conn. — Doctors say a Connecticut woman mauled by a 200-pound chimpanzee is making slight progress after more than seven hours of surgery by four teams of surgeons.

Dr. Kevin Miller of Stamford Hospital says 55-year-old Charla Nash suffered extensive facial and hand injuries when she was attacked Monday. He says stabilizing her condition took more than seven hours of surgery.

Nash was attended by hand specialists, plastic surgeons and specialists in orthopedics, ophthalmology and trauma.

Miller says it's good that Nash has made some progress, but she has a long way to go.

Nash was attacked by a 14-year-old domesticated chimpanzee owned by her friend, Sandra Herold of Stamford. Police shot and killed the chimp.  

I still insist it was a joke, but in bad taste.

KarmaMod:

The two pics arent on separate pages, they're on top of one of another. [/b]They're implying he's a monkey or that even a monkey could write such a bill or ONLY a monkey would think of creating such a bill.

Knowing how PC everything is nowadays in this country, one would think they'd be more cautious.
They are not, it's the Huffington post that placed them that way. They appear on page 11 and 12 respectively.

Y'all need to lighten up. It is not racism, simply poor editorial control due to the ability to offend.

Did the cartoonist shoot the monkey? See me see trouble oh! Black people just love to be drama queens. I find that there is humour in this, nothing else, even if it is in bad taste.

[b]People taking offense at something doesn't mean that was it's purpose.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 7:29pm On Feb 19, 2009
Busy_body:

Nne, biko help me ask them.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Busybody2(f): 7:39pm On Feb 19, 2009
debosky:

It is funny - A real monkey was shot this week.

Darling, its not funny, this is onme parody that has gone too far. The moment you allow these people to get away with such, they would run with it. It has to be nipped in the bud, the cartoon was clearly set up to depict Obama as a monkey and that is offensive.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 7:44pm On Feb 19, 2009
Busy_body:

Darling, its not funny, this is onme parody that has gone too far. The moment you allow these people to get away with such, they would run with it. It has to be nipped in the bud, the cartoon was clearly set up to depict Obama as a monkey and that is offensive.

Nodding in agreement.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by TayoD1(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2009
@topic,

The key to understanding this cartoon is what is written below it: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus."  Everybody out there knows that it was Nancy Pelosi who wrote that Bill, even though Harry Reid tinkered with it.  At best, the cartoon clearly depicts Mrs Pelosi and Mr Reid, and by extension the congress and Senate as Monkeys.

I do agree that the cartoon is subtle but it is a stretch to consider it racist.

And by the way, where was the outrage when Bush was clearly depicted as a monkey?
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by debosky(m): 7:50pm On Feb 19, 2009
I personally don't agree - we've gotten so PC that people can't make jokes anymore.

The cartoon is offensive in the sense that it is in bad taste, but it would be acceptable if Bush was president right?

It means that even we black people haven't gotten over the 'race barrier' that Obama purportedly crossed.

The humour is not in shooting the monkey, but describing the plan as something ridiculous, akin to what a monkey would come up with. Obama did not write the bill. If the cartoon said 'they'll have to find someone else to SIGN the bill' then I would agree it was targeted at Obama.

Many references have been made to Bush as being a goat and what not, with no ruckus. I think this is oversensitivity.

It IS in bad taste and offends many people, so in that regard it was wrong, but please artistic liberty must remain.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Busybody2(f): 7:54pm On Feb 19, 2009
Tayo-D:

@topic,

The key to understanding this cartoon is what is written below it: "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus."  Everybody out there knows that it was Nancy Pelosi who wrote that Bill, even though Harry Reid tinkered with it.  At best, the cartoon clearly depicts Mrs Pelosi and Mr Reid, and by extension the congress and Senate as Monkeys.

I do agree that the cartoon is subtle but it is a stretch to consider it racist.

And by the way, where was the outrage when Bush was clearly depicted as a monkey?  

Hi honey, that wasn't the case. How can one monkey depict two people undecided The cartoon could have parodied a school of monkeys round the table if this was the case, don't you agree?

They knew what they were doing with that inciteful cartoon of theirs wink And I bet they got the reaction they wanted, just that the black people that should be up in arms, would be muffling under their breath instead, that at least Obamawhom is one of them is still president.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by tpia: 7:59pm On Feb 19, 2009
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by TayoD1(m): 8:03pm On Feb 19, 2009
@Busy_body,

Hi honey, that wasn't the case. How can one monkey depict two people  The cartoon could have parodied a school of monkeys round the table if this was the case, don't you agree?
Hello honey pot.  Cartoons can't possibly catch everything.  It only needs to provide a representation.  As long as the cartoonist clearly stated that the object of their art is the writer of the bill, then it totally excludes Obama.  The singular figure could well be the legislative arm of govt.

They knew what they were doing with that inciteful cartoon of theirs  And I bet they got the reaction they wanted, just that the black people that should be up in arms, would be muffling under their breath instead, that at least Obamawhom is one of them is still president.
This explains how clever they are as well.  They indeed left so much room for different interpretations.  That could well be intentional.  

You ignored my submission regarding Bush or are you leaving that discussion for the dinner table?
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 8:08pm On Feb 19, 2009
RichyBlacK:

@JeSoul, make I talk with better person jare

I understand where you're coming from but you have to realize that we cannot allow these subtle references to go unpunished. We must guard the position blacks have today because it can get worse quickly if we give them racists a "pass". It must be drilled into the head of the myriad bigots and racists in America that racism, especially against blacks (yes I'm a black man), will not be tolerated.
 My brotha isn't that what is called free speech?  undecided  Whether or not we're offended, the cartoonist and the newspaper are entitled to their opinions of Obama whether offensive or not - that's America. And the cartoon is so cleverly done that you really can't find them guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
  and you're right in that the media is prejudiced and the different groups are not treated equally, there is a double, triple standard. But in this instance let us consider ourselves smarter and more tolerant than those who cannot take a joke and move on.  

Obama is probably sitting in the oval office laughing at the cartoon  smiley common Richy, you know you wanna admit its funny   kiss

contd: Sade's my girl. 'Smooth Operator', 'Taboo' and 'By your side' are on constant replay. "futuristic nostalgia" is deep brotha . . . lemme go and contemplate on that for sec smiley  I wonder why she's been on the down low past few yrs
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Feb 19, 2009
this is a non-issue. We blacks have become overly sensitive over nothing. So cartoonists had their field-day with Bush and Clinton, whites didnt go around complaining about it. Its a cartoon, allow the cartoonist to draw . . . i personally thought the cartoon was funny.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Busybody2(f): 8:14pm On Feb 19, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Busy_body,
Hello honey pot.  Cartoons can't possibly catch everything.  It only needs to provide a representation.  As long as the cartoonist clearly stated that the object of their art is the writer of the bill, then it totally excludes Obama.  The singular figure could well be the legislative arm of govt.
This explains how clever they are as well.  They indeed left so much room for different interpretations.  That could well be intentional.  

You ignored my submission regarding Bush or are you leaving that discussion for the dinner table?

Hence the reason they could have left well alone, there are some things that should be offlimits and IMHO, this is one wink

Baby, I just felt there was no need to talk about Bush because Tpia already did justice to it kiss kiss kiss

Besides whenever I am with you, the last thing I wanna discuss is politics, would rather you politick me instead wink So make sure you come home early today boo, you have already revved up my lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin grin grin
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by tpia: 8:38pm On Feb 19, 2009
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 9:06pm On Feb 19, 2009
Newsday.com
[size=18pt]Hundreds protest chimpanzee cartoon[/size]

BY KEITH HERBERT AND REID EPSTEIN
keith.herbert@newsday.com
3:02 PM EST, February 19, 2009

Protesters shouting, "Yes we can, shut it down" picketed outside the News Corp. building in midtown today, a day after the company's New York Post newspaper ran a cartoon that they said depicted President Obama as a chimpanzee shot and killed by police officers.

Led by the Rev. Al Sharpton, protesters marched in a loop inside police barricades on 6th Avenue, between 46th and 47th Street, and called for a boycott of the New York Post.

"Go to your newsstand and say, 'Do not sell it in our community,'" Sharpton said to protesters that police estimated to be 500.

One protester was Ashley Ames, 25, who is white, said the Post is trying to set a racist agenda at a time when the country is trying to move beyond racial conflict. "They take us back," Ames said.

The demonstration ended about 1 p.m. Sharpton vowed protesters would return Friday afternoon.

The newspaper has stood by the work, which its editor called "a clear parody" about the police killing of a chimpanzee in Connecticut. The Post said it had no further comment on Thursday.

The cartoon shows a police officer, after his colleague just shot dead a chimpanzee, saying, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

Critics said Wednesday that the chimpanzee served as a crude interpretation of Obama, the nation's first black president, who signed the $787 billion economic stimulus package into law Tuesday. The cartoon sparked a heated debate among journalists, elected officials and community leaders about the appropriateness of comparing an African-American president to a primate.

Gov. David A. Paterson, who had the cartoon described to him during a news conference in Manhattan, said it is incumbent upon Post editors to explain "what the cartoon was intended to portray."

Images of black people portrayed as primates, Paterson said, "do feed a kind of negative and stereotypical way that some people think."

"The Post should at best clarify what point they were trying to make or in fact reprimand their cartoonist for making inferences that are offensive and divisive at a time the nation struggles to come together to stabilize the economy," Sharpton said in a statement.

Post editor Col Allan issued a statement Wednesday that said the cartoon was a reference to the 200-pound chimpanzee that mauled its owner's neighbor and was shot dead by Connecticut police on Monday.

"The cartoon is a clear parody of a current news event, to wit, the shooting of a violent chimpanzee in Connecticut. It broadly mocks Washington's efforts to revive the economy," he said. "Again, Al Sharpton reveals himself as nothing more than a publicity opportunist."

The cartoonist, Sean Delonas, has a long history of drawing cartoons that drew the ire of Sharpton and black elected officials. He did not return phone calls yesterday.

Sybil Mimy Johnson, who teaches African studies courses at Hofstra University, said the cartoon recalls a history of unflattering comparisons of African-Americans to primates.

"If you go back to Jim Crow and you go back to the whole depiction of cartoons then, it was demeaning for African-Americans, calling them animals," she said. "This is extremely insensitive and it reaches back to those old wounds."

"How could The Post let this cartoon pass as satire?" said Barbara Ciara, president of the National Association of Black Journalists. "To compare the nation's first African-American commander-in-chief to a dead chimpanzee is nothing short of racist drivel."

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs declined to comment on the cartoon Wednesday. "I have not seen the cartoon," he told reporters aboard Air Force One as Obama returned to Washington from Arizona, where he announced his plan to deal with the foreclosure crisis. "But I don't think it's altogether newsworthy reading the New York Post."

Spokespeople for Sen. Charles Schumer, Assemb. Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) and State Senate Majority Leader Malcolm Smith (D- St. Albans) declined to comment on the cartoon. Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's spokesman did not return calls Wednesday.

Hazel Dukes, president of the New York NAACP, called the cartoon "outrageous."

"It's a great insult to all good-thinking Americans," she said. "I call on persons of goodwill to make an outcry to this paper that this is unacceptable."

This story was supplemented by The Associated Press.
Copyright © 2009, Newsday Inc.
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by JeSoul(f): 9:13pm On Feb 19, 2009
JeSoul:

Before we know it Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson will soon organize a rally in Harlem for "black rights" against the cartoon. Like we don't have bigger problems facing the black community.

grin grin  grin grin grin grin grin grin  Wow and I was just being sarcastic when I made that comment this morning:

RichyBlacK:

Newsday.com
Hundreds protest chimpanzee cartoon

BY KEITH HERBERT AND REID EPSTEIN
keith.herbert@newsday.com
3:02 PM EST, February 19, 2009

Protesters shouting, "Yes we can, shut it down" picketed outside the News Corp. building in midtown today, a day after the company's New York Post newspaper ran a cartoon that they said depicted President Obama as a chimpanzee shot and killed by police officers.

[size=14pt]Led by the Rev. Al Sharpton[/size], protesters marched in a loop inside police barricades on 6th Avenue, between 46th and 47th Street, and called for a boycott of the New York Post.

"Go to your newsstand and say, 'Do not sell it in our community,'" Sharpton said to protesters that police estimated to be 500.

One protester was Ashley Ames, 25, who is white, said the Post is trying to set a racist agenda at a time when the country is trying to move beyond racial conflict. "They take us back," Ames said.

The demonstration ended about 1 p.m. Sharpton vowed protesters would return Friday afternoon.

Where do they find these jobless zombies at such short notice to organize the rally?  cheesy
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by RichyBlacK(m): 9:25pm On Feb 19, 2009
JeSoul:

My brotha isn't that what is called free speech?  undecided  Whether or not we're offended, the cartoonist and the newspaper are entitled to their opinions of Obama whether offensive or not - that's America. And the cartoon is so cleverly done that you really can't find them guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
  and you're right in that the media is prejudiced and the different groups are not treated equally, there is a double, triple standard. But in this instance let us consider ourselves smarter and more tolerant than those who cannot take a joke and move on.  

Obama is probably sitting in the oval office laughing at the cartoon  smiley common Richy, you know you wanna admit its funny   kiss

contd: Sade's my girl. 'Smooth Operator', 'Taboo' and 'By your side' are on constant replay. "futuristic nostalgia" is deep brotha . . . lemme go and contemplate on that for sec smiley  I wonder why she's been on the down low past few yrs

One man's rights stop where another man's rights begin. Freedom of speech has limits! You've not answered my question about anti-Jewish or anti-Holocaust cartoons in main stream American media. They don't exist and any paper that publishes anything that can be construed to be anti-Jewish/anti-Holocaust would pay a serious price. However, when they make racists/insensitive cartoons against blacks and we complain, then we're being "too PC"?

The New York Post must apologize for this racist cartoons. Otherwise, blacks all over the world must boycott the New York Post, divest their investments from it and spread the word that the New York Post is run by racists!

It's not funny to me at all. It makes me angry angry. I have no tolerance for anti-Black overtones, no matter how subtle. I main complete and permanent zero-tolerance on all racist comments, especially those directed at my black folks.

On Sade: "Somebody Already Broke My Heart" sends shivers down my spine! I also enjoy "Smooth Operator" and "Taboo". How about "Is It a Crime"? My God! What would life be without good music? A tour by Sade is long overdue! She needs to give us something, no matter how small. Any info about any upcoming Sade event?
Re: Is Obama Now A Crazed Monkey Check This Out From The New York Post. by Busybody2(f): 9:29pm On Feb 19, 2009
tpia:

am not a busy body but all this one where you're having multiple honeys, babys and darlings for this thread dey confuse me. I actually had to go back and check your earlier honey abi na darling cos I was darn sure the other person wasnt this Tayo-D. cheesy

So far na only one honey I don see personally for Nairaland though I like your style. cheesy

Shhhh, I only have one honey jooo, and he knows himself lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

[s]Please don't tell Bigmodo you caught me with another guy abeg, he's already promised to whisk me to Dubai for Easter [/s]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mugabe To Be Buried At Heroes Acre On Sunday / US Banks Freeze Nigerian Embassy Accounts / CAMEROON IS BUILDING THE BIGGEST PORT IN AFRICA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.