Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,389 members, 7,781,116 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:14 AM

DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] (25075 Views)

DIY: Construction Of Residential Units At Harmony Villa [isheri OPIC] / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / DIY: Construction Of 3 Units Of 4-bedrooms Terraces [Surulere-I] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 23, 2015
BITSWORKS:
@egunmogaji, like erico2k2 said, its the bending back of iron reinforcement (not neccessarily excess iron if its plan to be like that). A runner length of iron is used in binding all the bent iron reinforcement together for further strengthing.

Check the pictures attached for further clarifications.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and pictures, it removes any ambiguity. I've saved the pictures as I would be doing same.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by carapace1(m): 9:12pm On Aug 23, 2015
BITSWORKS:
Casting of the concrete foundation footing took place yesterday 4th of July 2015. The columns mat and columns were also casted. Total number of columns mat casted was 30nos.

We used 3 bricklayers and 8 labours. The mix ratio for the concrete was 1:2:4 and it was manually mixed. A total of 30 bags of cement (Dangote cement) was used, and we didn't even make a dent in the 20 tons of granite supplied by @dayomide70 (a trust worthy supplier, I was shocked by the quantity I saw compared to the rip-offs am used to, a trial will convince you).

Ur step by step pics are good, we've seen ur column starter but u didn't show us reinforcement to column base. nevertheless, many of ur information are useful God bless u.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 24, 2015
Moana:
OP did you catch bushmeat? Please send it my way embarassed

Or that healthy free ranging Rooster in the previous picture grin
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 9:32am On Aug 24, 2015
BITSWORKS:
Block setting of the foundation currently ongoing. Because of the sloping gradient of the ground, we are going to set 5 coaches of the high side and 6 coaches on the low side to even out the level and get a flat surface on which we will cast the german floor.

I too have sloping gradient which brings me to a question.

In your example above you are setting 5 coaches on one side and 6 on the other. Is there a point where it becomes unsafe? For example can I do 5 on one side and 7 or 8 or 9 on another side? If it's unsafe then what is the proper solution?

Thanks.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2015
We casted the german floor on over a period of 2 days, Thursday 20th and Friday 21st August. We used 3 labours for dumping, 3 mixers, 3 materials carriers and 3 bricklayers(one of them was actually supervising the work because I was in Ogbomosho).

We didn't use a mixing machine (saving cost measures for the client on a tight budget) and that's one of the reason it took us 2 days to cast the german floor. We used a total of 100 bags of cement, 30 tons of coarse aggregate(granite) and 3 trips of 10 tons of fine aggregate(sharp sand).

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
More pictures of the german floor casting.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by PeoplesArmy: 4:40pm On Aug 25, 2015
BITSWORKS:
We casted the german floor on over a period of 2 days, Thursday 20th and Friday 21st August. We used 3 labours for dumping, 3 mixers, 3 materials carriers and 3 bricklayers(one of them was actually supervising the work because I was in Ogbomosho).

We didn't use a mixing machine (saving cost measures for the client on a tight budget) and that's one of the reason it took us 2 days to cast the german floor. We used a total of 100 bags of cement, 30 tons of coarse aggregate(granite) and 3 trips of 10 tons of fine aggregate(sharp sand).

Won't the cost saved in hiring concrete mixer not be lost in hiring labour for two days and manual mixing of concrete?

3 Likes

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 5:03pm On Aug 25, 2015
BITSWORKS:

I thought that the floor had to be casted in one go.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by erico2k2(m): 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I thought that the floor had to be casted in one go.
So I thought as well.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by dayomide70(f): 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2015
BITSWORKS:

Weldone!
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Lillylu: 10:41pm On Aug 25, 2015
Hi guys, I'm completely amazed at the amount of information available here. Thanks for sharing freely, and taking us through your build. Especially for those just starting out, all this is very good information. Nice work!

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by smiley001(m): 10:23am On Aug 26, 2015
Perectly progressing...
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Babs612000(m): 6:52pm On Aug 28, 2015
carapace1:

Ur step by step pics are good, we've seen ur column starter but u didn't show us reinforcement to column base. nevertheless, many of ur information are useful God bless u.
please what is the total cost of the German floor only. Many thanks.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 8:09am On Aug 29, 2015
Thank you all for the comments, I will take time to respond to each person but work is a bit hectic now so I crave ur indulgence for just a little bit more time.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by smiley001(m): 11:06am On Aug 29, 2015
BITSWORKS:
Thank you all for the comments, I will take time to respond to each person but work is a bit hectic now so I crave ur indulgence for just a little bit more time.

Aii sir.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Babs612000(m): 4:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
BITSWORKS:
Well done sir please can you also let us know the area surface of the German floor in feet ( e.g 96ft x 25ft ) thanks.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2015
@Babs612000, let me get down to answering your questions, quite a handful but I will lump it all together.

1. Size of the german floor is 27.9m X 9.1m (91.54ft X 29.85ft)

2. The width (thickness of the oversite concrete slab) used for the german floor is 100mm (4inches)

3. Total cost breakdon is as follows:
A. 100 bags of dangote cement (@N1850) - N185,000
B. 3 trips of 10 tons sharp sand (@N25,000) - N75,000
C. 1 trip of 20 tons 3/4 down granite - N100,000 (we had like 10 tons leftover from the foundation works)
D. Labour - N90,000

Prices for the granite and sharp sand might vary depending on your location and how the project is being executed.

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by dayomide70(f): 8:28pm On Aug 29, 2015
Neat as usual. Weldone!
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 9:27pm On Aug 29, 2015
BITSWORKS:
@Babs612000, let me get down to answering your questions, quite a handful but I will lump it all together.

1. Size of the german floor is 27.9m X 9.1m (91.54ft X 29.85ft)

2. The width (thickness of the oversite concrete slab) used for the german floor is 100mm (4inches)

3. Total cost breakdon is as follows:
A. 100 bags of dangote cement (@N1850) - N185,000
B. 3 trips of 10 tons sharp sand (@N25,000) - N75,000
C. 1 trip of 20 tons 3/4 down granite - N100,000 (we had like 10 tons leftover from the foundation works)
D. Labour - N90,000

Prices for the granite and sharp sand might vary depending on your location and how the project is being executed.

Thank you so much for doing this.

Are there any other fees involved? For example is your fee included in the labour?

I'm going to be doing an 80x50 slab and I love these your price compared to some of the quotes that I've been getting.

You've given me great joy this afternoon financially.

2 Likes

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 7:05am On Aug 30, 2015
@EgunMogaji, other associated cost include:

1. Iron reinforcement or BRC wire mesh for the oversite concrete (german floor)
2. Iron bender labour
3. Wood for the egde formwork (*igbati*) - 1X12ft wood, 2X3 wood for bracing
4. Carpenter labour
5. Plumbing material if you are doing conduit plumbing
6. Plumber labour
7. Engineer supervision fee.

Included are the before and after pictures of the german floor.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 8:13am On Aug 30, 2015
We started the blockwork on Friday 28th of August and from our projections, we should be done in 7 days going at the rate of 4 coaches per day.

From our blocks estimate calculation, we will be using 2000 blocks or a little bit more due to wastages.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Babs612000(m): 8:40am On Aug 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Thank you so much for doing this.

Are there any other fees involved? For example is your fee included in the labour?

I'm going to be doing an 80x50 slab and I love these your price compared to some of the quotes that I've been getting.

You've given me great joy this afternoon financially.

Wow!!! thank YOU VERY MUCH for the break down of the German floor mine is just 60ft x 30ft less spending than the above project.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 1:23pm On Aug 30, 2015
More blockwork pictures.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 1:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
More blockwork pictures, so far we have used 1000 blocks and 12 bags of cement.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by solutionboy: 2:31pm On Aug 30, 2015
BITSWORKS:
More foundation excavation pictures. The depth of the excavation is 2ft deep and 3ft wide and the thickness of the blinding will be 100mm (4"wink. We will use a mix of cement, granite and sharp sand in the ratio 1:3:6.
Pls what do u mean by 1:3:6
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 6:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
solutionboy:

Pls what do u mean by 1:3:6

1 bag of cement, 3 headpans of granite and 6 headpans of sharp sand.

I think.

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by FastShipping: 7:01pm On Aug 30, 2015
EgunMogaji:

1 bag of cement, 3 headpans of granite and 6 headpans of sharp sand.

I think.

1 bag of cement, 3 headpans of sharp sand and 6 headpans of granite. grin grin
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
FastShipping:

1 bag of cement, 3 headpans of sharp sand and 6 headpans of granite. grin grin

Excellent, we learn everyday cool

1 Like

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 10:25pm On Aug 31, 2015
@solutionboy, I can see that @fastshipping has answered your question, thank you sir and all other contributors.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by BITSWORKS: 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2015
More pictures of the blockwork.

Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by Nobody: 3:14am On Sep 20, 2015
Oh the horrors, please let's shield the women and children from seeing decomposing vegetations and men hand mixing of materials to be used for blinding grin grin

Will someone please think of the children? cheesy

OP, this is fantastic job. Please post updates.
Re: DIY: Construction Of 4 Units Of 2-bedrooms Terraces [Ikorodu-I] by MissShakara: 12:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
Did you say 4 units of 2 bedroom apartments on 161sqm? can it really enter? can you pls post the plan of the building?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lekki Royal Garden 6m C of O, Dry Land,Fenced,Gated.Drainage and road commenced / CBN Reveals How Nigerians Can Own A New Home, Pay Within 25 Years / Will Dangote Oil Tankers Make Lekki Unattractive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.