Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,846 members, 7,802,699 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:15 PM

Is Mary The Mother Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Mary The Mother Of God? (18326 Views)

How A Nairalander Celebrated The Mother's Sunday / Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Is Mary The Mother Of God? Is Mary The Theotokos (God-bearer)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2015
Catholics have recited the “Hail Mary” prayer for many years. It includes the words, “Holy Mary, Mother of God..”

These words represent one of the most treasured doctrines of Catholicism.

Although the Bible documents that Mary became the mother of Jesus and clearly teaches that Jesus is God, does imply that Mary was (or is) the “Mother of God?”

Your opinions please.

Happy Sunday.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Youngsage: 12:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
👀
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by mujahid1339(m): 12:46pm On Jun 07, 2015
she is the mother of the SLAVE of Allah

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Apostleyurme(m): 12:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
Mary is not the mother of God,but of jesus.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
Remember they see this same Mary as the queen of heaven. The only occurrences of the phrase "Queen of Heaven" in the Bible are in reference to a false pagan goddess (see Jeremiah 7:18; 44:17-25). Jesus' mother Mary is never described as having any kind of exalted position in Heaven. The Bible does not record Mary's death. In fact, Mary is never even mentioned after Acts chapter 1, verse 14. Mary was a godly women through whom God chose to bring forth His beloved Son (Luke 1:26-38). The Bible gives us no reason to believe, though, that Mary was sinless or is now exalted as the "Queen of Heaven." and so therefore, the Mary that Catholics do refer to is: The FALSE PAGAN GODDESS.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by missKiffy(f): 1:17pm On Jun 07, 2015
No

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2015
Presidency25:
. The Bible gives us no reason to believe, though, that Mary was sinless

Very much on point.

One wonders how a human, born of the flesh and sinful in nature could be the "mother of God" who created her in the first place.

I think the Roman Catholic Church need to revisit this prayer and amend it.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 2:12pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:
Catholics have recited the “Hail Mary” prayer for many years. It includes the words, “Holy Mary, Mother of God..”

These words represent one of the most treasured doctrines of Catholicism.

Although the Bible documents that Mary became the mother of Jesus and clearly teaches that Jesus is God, does imply that Mary was (or is) the “Mother of God?”

Your opinions please.

Happy Sunday.

If you believe that Mary is the mother of Jesus who is God. Then She is the mother of God. What do you have against it, if you honestly want to discuss this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by adexsimply(m): 2:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
WOW!!! God impregnated Mary and she gave birth to God
Nice one

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Rilwon: 2:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
Apostleyurme:
Mary is not the mother of God,but of jesus.

Tell that to bingbagbo here https://www.nairaland.com/2363124/did-jesus-say-he-god#34521102
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Apostleyurme(m): 3:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 3:11pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:

If you believe that Mary is the mother of Jesus who is God. Then She is the mother of God. What do you have against it, if you honestly want to discuss this.

Jesus Christ the "man" is the son of Mary. No one disputes the fact that Mary is the mother of the human Jesus.

What is in dispute is the extension of the title “mother” to a DIVINE NATURE that ETERNALLY EXISTED and WAS NOT CREATED in the womb of the virgin.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 3:38pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Jesus Christ the "man" is the son of Mary. No one disputes the fact that Mary is the mother of the human Jesus.

What is in dispute is the extension of the title “mother” to a DIVINE NATURE that ETERNALLY EXISTED and WAS NOT CREATED in the womb of the virgin.

In mary's womb, was Jesus God?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 3:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:

In mary's womb, was Jesus God?

The Son’s existence did not begin with His conception in Mary’s womb.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

The Son’s existence did not begin with His conception in Mary’s womb.

Do you think your existence started with your conception in your mother's womb?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 4:03pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:

Do you think your existence started with your conception in your mother's womb?

You and I were born of the seeds of a man and a woman. That was not the case with Jesus Christ.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 4:20pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

You and I were born of the seeds of a man and a woman. That was not the case with Jesus Christ.

You were born when your mother gave birth to you. Your mother is the mother of you (a man) because you are solely man, If you were para-human for example; she would have still been your mother. Jesus was born when His mother gave birth to Him at Bethlehem. Mary is the mother of God because Jesus is both Man and God.

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
Mary is the mother of God because Jesus is both Man and God.

This also means that Mary being the "mother of God" is also the "mother of Trinity" (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)

Certainly not, sir.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 4:52pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:
[/b]

[b]This also means that Mary being the "mother of God" is also the "mother of Trinity" (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)

Certainly not, sir.

No. It is you who misunderstands it that way.

With respect to the three Persons, She gave birth to the Son alone. As long as you believe that the Son alone is God, then the mother of the son alone is the mother of God.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 5:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
No. It is you who misunderstands it that way.

With respect to the three Persons, She gave birth to the Son alone. As long as you believe that the Son alone is God, then the mother of the son alone is the mother of God.

The Bible records that "in HIM (Christ) dwelleth all the FULNESS of the Godhead bodily" Colossian 2:9 (KJV)

Since Mary is the mother of the Son (who Is the FULNESS), she gave birth to all (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 5:58pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

The Bible records that "in HIM (Christ) dwelleth all the FULNESS of the Godhead bodily" Colossian 2:9 (KJV)

Since Mary is the mother of the Son (who Is the FULNESS), she gave birth to all (Father, Son and Holy Ghost)

That passage simply tells you that 'as the son alone; he is fully God'. The passage did not say that the father and the Holy Spirit is the person of Jesus. Jesus clearly showed us that as persons; while He was here on earth fully God, His Father was in heaven and He was to go back to His father.

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;" Jn 16:8-10.

"Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven". Matt. 18:19

So Mary is the mother of the Son, who is fully God, even though the father is in heaven.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 6:15pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
That passage simply tells you that 'as the son alone; he is fully God'. The passage did not say that the father and the Holy Spirit is the person of Jesus. Jesus clearly showed us that as persons; while He was here on earth fully God, His Father was in heaven and He was to go back to His father.

"And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;" Jn 16:8-10.

Since Mary gave birth to the "Son alone God" excluding "Father God" and the "Holy Spirit God", it becomes a misnomer to refer to her as the mother of God!

It will be more understandable if the prayer can be like: "Hail Mary, mother of Jesus, Son of God..."
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 7:06pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Since Mary gave birth to the "Son alone God" excluding "Father God" and the "Holy Spirit God", it becomes a misnomer to refer to her as the mother of God!

It will be more understandable if the prayer can be like: "Hail Mary, mother of Jesus, Son of God..."

Our duty is to say the truth of what God has revealed, no matter how it looks, e.g, the Virgin birth.

If Jesus (alone) is "the son of God", then Mary is "mother of the son of God"

and as well,

If Jesus (alone) is "God", then Mary is "mother of "God".

It's not how it sounds to you, but what is true. Both are truths of scripture.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 8:05pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
Our duty is to say the truth of what God has revealed, no matter how it looks, e.g, the Virgin birth.

If Jesus (alone) is "the son of God", then Mary is "mother of the son of God"

and as well,

If Jesus (alone) is "God", then Mary is "mother of "God".

It's not how it sounds to you, but what is true. Both are truths of scripture.

Granted "it's not how it sounds to you, but what is true"

One can only know Scriptural truth by revelation; certainly not by theology.

Mary is the mother of Jesus and that is truth of Scripture.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Granted "it's not how it sounds to you, but what is true"

One can only know Scriptural truth by revelation; certainly not by theology.

Mary is the mother of Jesus and that is truth of Scripture.

"Christian theology is the study of Christian belief and practice. This is based primarily upon the texts of the Old Testament and the New Testament as well as the historic traditions of Christians".

Even Peter did not dismiss learning, for he said: "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction". 2Pet.3:16

Mary is the mother of Jesus, Jesus is God, Mary is the Mother of God. This is scriptural truth.

2 Likes

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Barnabaseloka(m): 10:10pm On Jun 07, 2015
Mary WAS (not IS) the mother of Jesus (God). This was b/c she was chosen by God to bring forth Jesus into the world, and bring Him up as other parents do. Jesus obeyed His parents till He was about to start His mission on earth. During His ministry on earth, He never acknowledge Mary as the mother but always called her WOMAN, instead of MOTHER.
The question is: Did Jesus create Mary?

1 Like

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 10:30pm On Jun 07, 2015
Barnabaseloka:
Mary WAS (not IS) the mother of Jesus (God). This was b/c she was chosen by God to bring forth Jesus into the world, and bring Him up as other parents do. Jesus obeyed His parents till He was about to start His mission on earth. During His ministry on earth, He never acknowledge Mary as the mother but always called her WOMAN, instead of MOTHER.

Good analysis of the topic being discussed.

As to your question, the bible records that "All things were made by him (Jesus Christ); and without him was not any thing made that was made." John 1:3
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 10:39pm On Jun 07, 2015
Barnabaseloka:

hahahahaha, So she was the mother of God until she ceased to be the mother of God. What will I not hear? Just so you know Jesus kept calling her Woman, just to make sure you didn't miss the fact that she is the"woman" of Gen 3:15. "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel".

Answer = Yes.

Question: Can the one who gave birth to someone cease to be the one who gave birth to him?
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 10:44pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Good analysis of the topic being discussed.

As to your question, the bible records that "All things were made by him (Jesus Christ); and without him was not any thing made that was made." John 1:3

So you will agree with any opinion, as long as it says Mary is not the mother of God. Imagine Someone said that Mary was the mother of God, but she no longer is the mother of God, and it becomes good analysis. Ok, de check am o.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 10:45pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
"Christian theology is the study of Christian belief and practice. This is based primarily upon the texts of the Old Testament and the New Testament as well as the historic traditions of Christians".

Even Peter did not dismiss learning, for he said: "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction". 2Pet.3:16

Mary is the mother of Jesus, Jesus is God, Mary is the Mother of God. This is scriptural truth.

Paul was also learned (theologically speaking) but was persecuting the church until he got the REVELATION!

One may study all he can but until God gives him a revelation, he is still in the dark.

If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is God, and God is Three Persons in One, then Mary is the mother of Trinity.
Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by HopeAlive14(m): 11:26pm On Jun 07, 2015
Syncan:
Just so you know Jesus kept calling her Woman, just to make sure you didn't miss the fact that she is the"woman" of Gen 3:15. "And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel"

Your interpretation of this verse of Scripture is incorrect.

Indeed it is scripturally incorrect to deify Mary above the Messiah.

Matthew 12:47-50 (KJV)

v47 "Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

v48 "But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

v49 "And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

v50 "For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Jesus made it clear that Mary had no preeminence among His followers or before God.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Mary The Mother Of God? by Syncan(m): 11:27pm On Jun 07, 2015
HopeAlive14:

Paul was also learned (theologically speaking) but was persecuting the church until he got the REVELATION!

One may study all he can but until God gives him a revelation, he is still in the dark.

[b]If Mary is the mother of Jesus, and Jesus is God, and God is Three Persons in One, then Mary is the mother of Trinity
.[/b]

Yes, Paul was learned in the Judaism, and needed a revelation for his conversion to Christianity. What revelation did Timothy get, what revelation did Lydia get, what revelation did Onesimus get? They were all learned in Christian theology, they need no revelation but faith in what they learned. Truth is truth, however it is acquired, it doesn't need a revelation to be true. Faith comes by hearing the word of God, not by getting a revelation.

With regards to the bold, you are simply trying to avoid the truth. If you believe in the trinity, then what you believe is this:

In God is the father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Matt. 28:19

The father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit is not the father. Jn 15:26

In the father is found the son and the Holy spirit, in the son is found the Father and the Holy spirit, in the Holy Spirit is found the father and the son. Isaiah 9:16

The father is God, the Son is God, the Holy spirit is God. Yet God is One.

This is the Trinity, If you believe in it, then you won't have a problem believing that Mary is the mother of God, for she is the mother of God the son.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Why Do "Born Again" Christians Still Commit Sin? / Help! I Can't Pray For A Long Period / Pope Francis Has Changed My View Of Homosexuals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.