Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,025 members, 7,803,445 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place (35906 Views)

How Do I Handle Work Place Sexual Harassment. HELP! / Corporate Barber In Tie At His Work Place. Pictures / Photo: This Is The Bitter Truth About Work Place (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by CrazyMan(m): 1:55pm On Jun 08, 2015
When it comes to communication, as humans, most of the time, we express our thoughts and feelings non-verbally. Actions they say speak louder than words. And no, it is not another cliché. Think about this: we express anger and disapproval by frowning, we hold hands for solidarity and support, we twitch our lips and hiss to show contempt, and we fidget when we are afraid, to mention a few.

Body language or non-verbal communication can be very effective if handled carefully and could be very damaging if taken with kids’ glove. Here are some body languages that could be doing you more harm than good in the work place:

1. Breaking eye contact too soon: This can make you seem untrustworthy or overly nervous. Hold eye contact a hair longer, especially during a handshake.

2. Nodding too much:  Even if you agree with what’s being said, nod once and then try to remain still.

3. Crossing your arms:  This makes you look defensive, especially when you’re answering questions. Try to keep your arms at your sides.

4. Holding your hands behind your back (or firmly in your pockets)  makes you look stiff. Aim for a more relaxed hands-at-sides posture.

5. Looking up or looking around: This is a natural cue that you're lying or not being yourselves. Try to hold steady eye contact at all times when being spoken to.

6. Failing to smile: This can make people uncomfortable, and wonder if you really want to be there. Go for a genuine smile especially when meeting someone for the first time.

7. Stepping back when you’re asking for a decision:  This conveys fear or uncertainty. Stand your ground, or even take a slight step forward with conviction.

8. Checking your phone or watch:  In an important meeting or when being by your superiors portrays you as a staff with bad manners. Someone who prefers to be somewhere else than listen to them.

9. Having a delicate handshake:  Cultivate a professional handshake. Look the person you are about to shake in the eye, smile, greet the person warmly and shake hands firmly.

http://insidify.com/discovery/these-body-languages-are-doing-you-more-harm-than-good?utm_source=Language+To+B1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Language+To+B1

70 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by AnneMomoh: 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nice Write up,

This can foster good working relationship in an organization

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Ojestas(m): 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
Just be good at what you r doing. .if u like, be nodding like agama lizard or cross your arms like booker T, your boss go just dey look. Nice tips though!!

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by ggrin(f): 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
Ok
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Chukwutobi: 2:35pm On Jun 08, 2015
Ok.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Lanre4uonly(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
You're on point. Nice one.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by ggrin(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
AnneMomoh:
hmmmm
why cry
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by loomer: 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Una too take life serious self for that country.

Experience nai matter pass all these things jare

3 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Prettydiamond(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Impressive..noted!
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by holicalpha(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
10. Placing your hand at the back of your Neck- makes you look nervous.

Interesting Post,I'm no Psychologist but I'm able to read people's mind with the way they act.

Expo: If you're talking to a girl and she does that(10) that means she's hella Nervous.....use it well wink wink

- Valar Morghulis

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Sammyprinceson(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
And you expect me to comment on this abi?

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by sleazy5(m): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nice one. Op. Thanks
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2015
Guy codes.
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by meshacha1: 2:37pm On Jun 08, 2015
It depends on the situation, beside a sign can mean so many things depending on who you are communicating with.
Nice write up anyway....wink

2 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by zicoraads: 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
Chai! I am very guilty of using my phone during meetings embarassed
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Luckygurl(f): 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
This doesn't have to be only in your workplace.
It's also applicable in your day to day activities and also when meeting new people.

I've taken note of these and definitely will put it in practice.

1 Like

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by gbaskiboy: 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
issorait
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by swimcash(m): 2:38pm On Jun 08, 2015
n u xpect me 2 comments on dis tongue
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by mrzee(m): 2:39pm On Jun 08, 2015
Nice one OP... Profound!!!
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 2:40pm On Jun 08, 2015
Very true @OP......

I'm guilty of that nodding too much during a conversation. sad

Me and agama lizard, I no know who nod pass. cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
Wow! This is nice...... wink

#TEAM SCENT
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by HRich(m): 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
10 > If she's a newly wedded wife. Dont look too deep into her eyes when the husband is around.

3 Likes

Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by millionboi(m): 2:42pm On Jun 08, 2015
Kai
Re: Body Languages That Could Be Doing You More Harm Than Good In The Work Place by realGURU(m): 2:43pm On Jun 08, 2015
Gej did not deserve any award for conceading defeat out of no option

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Frank Mba Promoted To The Rank Of A Commissioner Of Police (photos) / Lady Sacked For Not Sleeping With Her Indian Boss, Nigerians React / 14 Army Infantry Generals Pulled Out Of Active Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.