Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. (21490 Views)

Readiness Of Nigerians For Genetically Modified Organisms/crops / Spectacular Photos Captures Bioluminescent Plankton And Aurora At The Same Time / Apocalypse NOW! Shocking Photos Of Mankind's Destruction Of The Planet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 5:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
[img]http://1.bp..com/-r7qqqLfYZQ4/VXW8D30Q6oI/AAAAAAAAAg8/6-Dk9_4PsXk/s320/plankton-poses-4.JPG[/img]
Anyone knows spongebob squarepants? yeah, the kid that lives in a pineapple under the sea? Well BBC Earth has partnered with his boss's arch rival Plankton, to create a short film to celebrate the importance of its kind on our earth to celebrate Ocean day.

And believe me when i say they are a very important part of our ecosystem.

Here are some quick info about Plankton.
What is Plankton?
Plankton are marine organisms (they live in water). They are so small that they are usually drifted away by waves and currents of the sea.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-YjZUrnbDR7c/VXW89hnKWyI/AAAAAAAAAhM/YDHJoqQc5Zo/s200/phytoplankton1b-300px.jpg[/img]

Do we have different types of them?
Plankton are grouped into two categories which are; the Plants known as PHYTOPLANKTON and Animals called ZOOPLANKTON.
Phytoplankton are very tiny microscopic plants that don't have roots, stems or leaves like the kind of plants we see on land.
The Zooplankton size varies from tiny organisms like protozoan to larger organisms like Jellyfish.

So, how are they important?
Think about these little organisms (phytoplankton) as the producers of 50% of the oxygen in the atmosphere. Yeah, they are! and they achieve this feat through Photosynthesis. During the process also, they regulate the temperature of the earth as they enable the sea water to be able to absorb the carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere.
For the Zooplankton, they don't depend on light for food like their plant counterparts but they are also an important part of the food chain as they are source of food to much bigger animals.

So aren't they important? Go get a burger from the Krusty Krab and lets sit back as we celebrate Plankton, one of the most important creatures in the world.
source: http://edscienceblog..com/2015/06/meet-plankton-one-of-most-important.html
video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNe3TutnNM

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by gabinogem(m): 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
Insightful... But the cartoon makes it looks childish.

1 Like

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 5:32pm On Jun 08, 2015
gabinogem:
Insightful... But the cartoon makes it looks childish.
the second pic is a microscopic view....the cartoon is the popular plankton (just for fun) wink

1 Like

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by gabinogem(m): 5:34pm On Jun 08, 2015
RobinHez:

the second pic is a microscopic view....the cartoon is the popular plankton (just for fun) wink
yeah... Nice one bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Texasquare(m): 9:40pm On Jun 08, 2015
Owk oo
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 10:49am On Jun 11, 2015
don't forget where this article came from....smiley
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 11, 2015
All I can think of is Plant -ain... fried plantain

4 Likes

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by DjHypno(m): 10:57am On Jun 11, 2015
K
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by LAfricana(m): 10:57am On Jun 11, 2015
Wow, God is awesome cool

Check out www.africanwatch.net for lastest international Scholarships for Nigerians, and keep tabs with latest happenings in Africa
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by 360ng: 10:57am On Jun 11, 2015
ok o
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 11, 2015
Na it get 1 eye like cyclop?? angry

Ok! Happy Planktons Day!! grin grin
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Bonapart(m): 10:58am On Jun 11, 2015
Hoe-kay good to know
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by hardbody: 10:59am On Jun 11, 2015
Kiddies are people too....
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by softnipples(f): 11:00am On Jun 11, 2015
Is it edible?? Is it something we can eat If not, its not important!!

1 Like

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Marvyx(m): 11:00am On Jun 11, 2015
Splendid
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Nobody: 11:01am On Jun 11, 2015
grin
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by 20bc(m): 11:01am On Jun 11, 2015
coolcool stuff, googood to know.
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Ayoswit(f): 11:01am On Jun 11, 2015
Is this for real?
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by GentleYoung(m): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2015
Interesting
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by kelechiMarie(f): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2015
Plankton!krusty krab's arch enemy grin

1 Like

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Symphony007: 11:02am On Jun 11, 2015
Should I be concerned that as an undergraduate spongbob squarepants is one of my favourite things on TV?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by eliwa47(m): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2015
how much is a burger now in the eatery?! lol

1 Like

Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by obinna2nv(m): 11:02am On Jun 11, 2015
Do you know that our harmattan is very essential to the growth of the phytoplankton community and carbon sequestration?
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Graccccccccy(f): 11:03am On Jun 11, 2015
Grace ws here..... FP again, i reserve my danc til i am FTC
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by losprince(m): 11:04am On Jun 11, 2015
angry
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by back2sender: 11:04am On Jun 11, 2015
RobinHez:
[img]http://1.bp..com/-r7qqqLfYZQ4/VXW8D30Q6oI/AAAAAAAAAg8/6-Dk9_4PsXk/s320/plankton-poses-4.JPG[/img]
Anyone knows spongebob squarepants? yeah, the kid that lives in a pineapple under the sea? Well BBC Earth has partnered with his boss's arch rival Plankton, to create a short film to celebrate the importance of its kind on our earth to celebrate Ocean day.

And believe me when i say they are a very important part of our ecosystem.

Here are some quick info about Plankton.
What is Plankton?
Plankton are marine organisms (they live in water). They are so small that they are usually drifted away by waves and currents of the sea.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-YjZUrnbDR7c/VXW89hnKWyI/AAAAAAAAAhM/YDHJoqQc5Zo/s200/phytoplankton1b-300px.jpg[/img]

Do we have different types of them?
Plankton are grouped into two categories which are; the Plants known as PHYTOPLANKTON and Animals called ZOOPLANKTON.
Phytoplankton are very tiny microscopic plants that don't have roots, stems or leaves like the kind of plants we see on land.
The Zooplankton size varies from tiny organisms like protozoan to larger organisms like Jellyfish.

So, how are they important?
Think about these little organisms (phytoplankton) as the producers of 50% of the oxygen in the atmosphere. Yeah, they are! and they achieve this feat through Photosynthesis. During the process also, they regulate the temperature of the earth as they enable the sea water to be able to absorb the carbon-dioxide in the atmosphere.
For the Zooplankton, they don't depend on light for food like their plant counterparts but they are also an important part of the food chain as they are source of food to much bigger animals.

So aren't they important? Go get a burger from the Krusty Krab and lets sit back as we celebrate Plankton, one of the most important creatures in the world.
source: http://edscienceblog..com/2015/06/meet-plankton-one-of-most-important.html
video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLNe3TutnNM

This topic makes me remember my days in school in Benin. Nice topic!!!!
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by losprince(m): 11:04am On Jun 11, 2015
If only he realized that and stoped wasting his life trying to steal krabs secret formular cheesy I love this guy, I swear. No homo
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by Pukka36(f): 11:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Sure! They keep the world goingcheesy
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 11:08am On Jun 11, 2015
Pukka36:
Sure! They keep the world goingcheesy
ur first comment outside our thread!! shocked
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 11:09am On Jun 11, 2015
losprince:
If only he realized that and stoped wasting his life trying to steal krabs secret formular cheesy I love this guy, I swear. No homo
if u watch the video, he emphasized on he's importance to spongebob
Re: Meet Plankton, One Of The Most Important Organisms On Our Planet. by RobinHez(m): 11:11am On Jun 11, 2015
eliwa47:
how much is a burger now in the eatery?! lol
$10
but u knw how krabs love money...grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nasa’s Webb Delivers Deepest Infrared Image Of Universe Yet / Professor Andrew Nok Wins Alexander Humboldt Prize For 2013 / Why Do Mosquitoes Buzz In Our Ears?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.