Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:11 AM

They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? (58875 Views)

9 Jobs In Nigeria That Dont Require A University Degree / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. / YES! There Is Hope For 2.2 And Third Class Grads: Job Hunting Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by haul: 8:16am On Jun 11, 2015
I find this thread amusing, they never even want you to make it.

Believe me, I will comeback to fish out this thread when the moment comes,not far at all.

If you a thirdy in the house stay focus,keep calm,there is something I call intelligence over brilliance.

Stretch your potentials you will find it,we all can't be an academic genius. And to all the 1st class and 2nd class the lord will make you bigger.

But I will still comeback to fish this thread and return it to frontpage in years to come, I pray nairaland still functions .
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by eleko1: 8:18am On Jun 11, 2015
Lif the nut.Nah so their mouth go dey run like tipper/lorry without BRAIN sorry I mean BRAKE.He conclude dat u are a 3RD class holder.Just ignore peep like dat next time,nothing dey their upstairs than reheated yam
Mbkite:

I am convinced that you dnt knw d essence of this thread. U dnt knw my grade, u dnt knw if attended uni, u dnt knw if I want to work 4 sumbody, u just took d whole thing personal and even concluded am unemployed. My dear, learn hw to talk becos, it is very important.

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mbeki: 8:22am On Jun 11, 2015
"African Education system has surprising outcomes. The smartest students pass with 1st Class and get admissions to medical and engineering schools. They work as researchers for Oil companies, Financial Institutions or politicians. The 2nd Class students get MBAs and LLB’s to manage the First Class students. The 3rd Class students enter politics, and rule both 1st and 2nd Class students and decide for them. The Failures join the army and control politicians who, if they are not happy with, they kick or kill them. Best of all.....
those who did not attend any school, become prophets, and everybody follows them."

4 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mbeki: 8:23am On Jun 11, 2015
My friend a third class graduate earns 450K working in an NGO, travels all round the world and live wella. There is nothing like a third class graduates, we only have third class teachers, lecturers and parents. Everybody is very good at something. In this part of the world, we emphasize too much on paper qualification thereby killing God given talents and gifts. What did Tuface graduate with? Mark Zukerberg, Bill Gates, Dangote, Tinubu. But study hard all the same.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mbkite(m): 8:26am On Jun 11, 2015
eleko1:
Lif the nut.Nah so their mouth go dey run like tipper/lorry without BRAIN sorry I mean BRAKE.He conclude dat u are a 3RD class holder.Just ignore peep like dat next time,nothing dey their upstairs than reheated yam
LOL
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by MicroBox: 8:29am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbkite:
d diff btw 2.2 and 3rd class is just 0.1GP
d diff btw 2.1 and 2.2. class is just 0.1GP
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Kisses4rmDxtanx: 8:34am On Jun 11, 2015
As a frnd as u've said he shd tel u d reason.
Bt i blv dey jst wnt 2 start living by example, 3rd Class students r d 'smartest'
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by MicroBox: 8:35am On Jun 11, 2015
eleko1:
sad who told U 3rd class cert is a disaster?nah circumstances bend crayfish.Some 2/1,2/2 graduate can't write application letter undecided lipsrsealed undecided
You see the reason why some employer don't want to take 3rd class *can't you write well, is 2.1=2/1 or 2.2=2/2*
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by aliboy7: 8:42am On Jun 11, 2015
The management of such an organisation are simply trying to be stingy and wouldnt want to pay the commensurate amount of salary if it were to engage a candidate with a 2-2 or 2-1 and so they resorted to advertise for a third class candidate.
Another reason may be that the job schedule in question may not be demanding in terms of professional skills requirement.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by sheriffden(m): 8:43am On Jun 11, 2015
I am damn sure the work will be on contract. You might give it a trial sha...
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Vyolet(f): 8:44am On Jun 11, 2015
Yimun.com
Many first class and second class upper Graduates are roaming about town with no job,some with jobs get paid peanuts even as low as 20,000 naira. If the situation is like this,why then should we discriminate.
A pass graduate will even get job before a 2.1 graduate. Aimoye first class graduates that register Sims for mobile networks.
The job in Nigeria is not enough to go round,if you decide to go outside the country to seek job,you face worse challenges,so the question is,why discriminate?

2 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by eleko1: 8:47am On Jun 11, 2015
MicroBox:

You see the reason why some employer don't want to take 3rd class *can't you write well, is 2.1=2/1 or 2.2=2/2*
undecided.I dnt engaged kid in argument ok.

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by aliboy7: 8:47am On Jun 11, 2015
And may be there may be a particular candidate with third class who is close or related to some 'ogas' occupying the top echelon of the bank for which that position is reserved for. There are many ways of skinning a cat, man. This is naija for God' sake. Damn it!
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Dollarboom: 8:49am On Jun 11, 2015
Most often,people that graduate with 3rd class are the highly social ones while in school and l think such people would do well in the area of marketing that banks die for this days. They will bring the wealth of their social network to good use here.

Meanwhile,

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Ndeewonu: 8:52am On Jun 11, 2015
Cutehector:
I think its a good development.

Good development for blockheads eh?
You are kidding me!

Anyway, Third Class is not a crime. What is, is remaining down there rather than hooking up with PGD, MBA, MSc, Professional courses...etc
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by NobleG1(m): 8:59am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbkite:
A friend that works with one of these new generation banks told me about a job that was advertized internally in the bank, with Third Class as the only requirement. I have been wondering why they should make the job opening for only Third class graduates. I decided to bring it to Nairaland for proper deliberation.
What do you think?

Becàuse they want to pay less salary.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Cutehector(m): 9:06am On Jun 11, 2015
Ndeewonu:

Good development for blockheads eh?
You are kidding me!

Anyway, Third Class is not a crime. What is, is remaining down there rather than hooking up with PGD, MBA, MSc, Professional courses...etc
pls dnt call dem block heads.. I'm a second class upper graduate, and there are some things which I dunt knw, which most third class graduates do knw. I am not better dan anybody and no one is better dan I am. Its just d nigerian mentality dats killing the society. I pray u dnt become a boss!

3 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by aboabai(m): 9:25am On Jun 11, 2015
The reason should be this, I had lower credit both in OND and HND, if I had money then I could have ended in upper or distinction. There were people who had pass genuinely who were meant to be in lower or upper class division but because they could not settle their lecturers or buy handouts. 12 years later I went abroad for my post graduate and masters (MBA). The difference was so clear and glaring. A had Merit in all.

May be employers had tried people with different grades in the past and could see that people with pass are performing better than those with higher grade in school.

Don't get me wrong am not saying all the people with pass are better, some are really and truly in that category while some are just due to circumstances, and I do not say all the people with higher grade don't deserve to be there just that more people are buying their way through. School grades at times might not be a good measure of performance.

I think the approach by the employer is a welcome one provided it's not geared towards cheap labour.

Thank u.

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Chuksgeo: 9:26am On Jun 11, 2015
I think the bank is Standard Chartered, it's a good moved because its actually done in Canada,Australia and Uk,most times they are more productive than their fellow coworkers, nothing like short payment
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by aliboy7: 9:28am On Jun 11, 2015
Access Bank must be living in a fool's paradise or else why the obsession with a UK degree like if the bank is situated in UK. Applicants for jobs resident in Ghana and Nigeria should be sourced from only these two countries. And if done otherwise,cultural affinities and specific peculiarities that are only evidenced in Africa might eventually rob them of meeting specific targets financially. Be warned! Your silliness may be your gateway to doom faster than you might imagine .
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by MicroBox: 9:39am On Jun 11, 2015
eleko1:
undecided.I dnt engaged kid in argument ok.
if you are less than 23yrs, I am sure I can give birth to you but if not, I am probably your older uncle.

1 Like

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by mytym(m): 9:50am On Jun 11, 2015
Mbkite:

d diff btw 2.2 and 3rd class is just 0.1GP
Seems you don't know how big 0.10 is in the scheme of things.
I had a friend back in skool, his 200level rain semester cgpa dropped from 3.53 to 3.45...i.e 0.08 and for another 6 semesters he couldn't cross the bridge again. This brilliant dude eventually graduated with 3.48 in Electrical Engineering...
He presently works in Texas with an Energy firm but prior he was denied a lot of chances here in nigeria to prove his brilliance coz he made 2.2 which was caused by a 0.02 lag.

In essence, 0.1gpa is alot and can alter a man's destiny forever.
By the way 0.1 is the difference btw 1st class&2:1, 2:1&2:2, 2:2&3rd class..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by solidifi: 10:10am On Jun 11, 2015
Let me tell us something here. I passed through the four-walls of the polytechnic and the University in this Nigeria.
Note: Am not a third class holder.

But let's get it clear. Nigeria/Nigerians like 'paper qualification' and not 'brain qualification or ability'. That's why you see a lot of
so-called 2.1 and 2.2.
What am I saying, am saying from experience that 99.5% of the so-called 2.1 and 2.2 holders that you see, especially 2.1 do not merit it.

Some lecturers on their own part are not helping matters.

One thing or the other may make a 2.1 or 2.2 material to drop down to third-class, that does not mean he/she is a dullard.

I repeat most 2.1 and 2.2 graduates can't defend it. They got it through hook or crook means because that's what Nigerian employers want.

So, I appreciate the company(ies) that are genuinely recognizing third-class graduates. Even if they didn't make it well academically, they good ones might have realized their mistakes, and can do better in other areas of life.

2 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by solidifi: 10:31am On Jun 11, 2015
I came out with 3.10 CGPA. 0.4 dropped me from 2.1 to 2.2.
A computer course caused this for me. I did not study computer science or engineering in the University.

Imagine one young lecturer was teaching us computer back then, without even a single desktop computer.
And his style wasn't encouraging. I failed the course, carried it over, and managed to pass it when I passed it. You know what that means.

This is one of the issues. And one employer somewhere will asking me to provide 2.1, when actually I was even teaching and academically helping my fellow course-mates, assisting some of my lecturers to mark scripts, invigilate other students during exams, assisting some lecturers in writing text books and NGO research works etc. And somebody is telling me I don't have a 2.1 or 1st class.

Anyway, like I said, that' what Nigeria want. Some students did not graduate. They found their ways to NYSC, passed out, and are working and earning big money in some ministries and parastatals.

Ask them to go and get their certificates from their schools, they can't.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by tessylove2(f): 11:11am On Jun 11, 2015
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by CrazyMan(m): 11:12am On Jun 11, 2015
samuelson06:

Na lie o. Once you don get like 4 years experience, third class no matter again o
When you're a contract staff in a bank for 4 years do you think your four years experience would matter much considering the fact that you have 2.1 and 2.2 degree holders in the same bank who have spent four years with you as well.

Even if the bank decides to convert a few of you guys into full staff, it would still come down to qualifications and you still won't stand a chance.

Your only solution would be to go for PGD, then masters and some professional courses. That's when employers would begin to take you seriously.
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Mbkite(m): 11:13am On Jun 11, 2015
solidifi:
I came out with 3.10 CGPA. 0.4 dropped me from 2.1 to 2.2.
A computer course caused this for me. I did not study computer science or engineering in the University.

Imagine one young lecturer was teaching us computer back then, without even a single desktop computer.
And his style wasn't encouraging. I failed the course, carried it over, and managed to pass it when I passed it. You know what that means.

This is one of the issues. And one employer somewhere will asking me to provide 2.1, when actually I was even teaching and academically helping my fellow course-mates, assisting some of my lecturers to mark scripts, invigilate other students during exams, assisting some lecturers in writing text books and NGO research works etc. And somebody is telling me I don't have a 2.1 or 1st class.

Anyway, like I said, that' what Nigeria want. Some students did not graduate. They found their ways to NYSC, passed out, and are working and earning big money in some ministries and parastatals.

Ask them to go and get their certificates from their schools, they can't.
was there anybody who made 2.1 in your class and you are sure the person got it on merit?
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Rosemary216(f): 11:17am On Jun 11, 2015
tiwasiaife:

Are you from Nsukka Asadu
. yes
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by TBD(m): 11:25am On Jun 11, 2015
missKiffy:
There was one I saw of recent too, they wanted third class or HND pass
Please Where is the place?
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 11, 2015
Cheap Labour
Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 11, 2015
I and my friend both started the same type of business same period but two different parts of Lagos.
He employed five 2.1 graduates and started them all on 50K each(more work); I employed 8 Credit HND graduates and started them on N40k each (less work).
Today (7 months later) all his graduates have left, but I have added 2 more HND guys (making it 10)... and they are doing very well with ease and happy.
It think it's basically for retention.

3 Likes

Re: They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? by TBD(m): 11:51am On Jun 11, 2015
[quote author=drnairalov post=34641721]

how can someone be collecting 30k as salary..graduate..'re u sure?[/quote My friend is collecting 10K, He graduate with 2.1 is like u people don't observed the level of umployment in the country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Edo State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment (37 Positions) / If You Have These Skills Employers Would Beg You To Work For Them / NDDC Skills Acquisition Training Programmes 2017 - Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.