Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,798 members, 7,806,209 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books (6513 Views)

Learn The Secret To Self-publishing Success On Okadabooks / Guide To Self Publishing Your Own Books For Free In Nigeria. / My Books (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 2:45pm On Jun 09, 2015
Hello Nairalanders. I need a little help from you guys. I have two novels and a short story published online, on the Kindle Amazon platform, but I really want to have my book in print. Is there aynone that can walk me through the procedure, and give me hints on how much I should budget?

I am not really concerned about sale of the book right now, I just wan to get it published/printed, and share to people. It is a strategy I am working on. So...Anyone? Any help. And please, I want to do it myself. I don't want someone to come here and tell me he would do one thousand copies for 200,000 Naira for me. I do not have that kind of money. But I know if I can do the various steps myself...Editing, formatting, book cover, printing, it will greatly reduce the price.

Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2015
Still waiting for some info.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by zayzee(f): 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
N200, 000 for 1000 copies is cheap sir, if you want a professional job done. Unless you are thinking of printing the kind of novella qualities you find at motor parks. Bear in mind even if you don't want to make money from sales, packaging attracts readers.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 9:22am On Jun 10, 2015
zayzee:
N200, 000 for 1000 copies is cheap sir, if you want a professional job done. Unless you are thinking of printing the kind of novella qualities you find at motor parks. Bear in mind even if you don't want to make money from sales, packaging attracts readers.

Okay. Thank you ma.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 9:25am On Jun 10, 2015
I still believe I can get this done cheaper, without compromising quality...That is if I break down the various steps, and outsource them separately.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Ajagunhope: 10:32am On Jun 14, 2015
Mr Kayode, I'm a publisher. Chat with me and I will haave your work in print. 08032125201

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 12:31pm On Jun 15, 2015
Ajagunhope:
Mr Kayode, I'm a publisher. Chat with me and I will haave your work in print. 08032125201

I have hit you up on whatsapp...But it appears you have not been on there for a while now.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Godmother(f): 5:35pm On Jun 15, 2015
zayzee:

200, 000 for 1000 copies, isn't that rather expensive? Which means the cost price for each book is 200 naira. How much will the book be sold for?

@ kay29000
U said you published some fiction stories on amazon, how was the sales? Did people respond well to them? For now I'm on non-fiction and thinking of adding one or two fiction but don't know how the outcome will be and don't want to waste my time. I'm new to kindle publishing and learning daily
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 7:08pm On Jun 15, 2015
Godmother:

200, 000 for 1000 copies, isn't that rather expensive? Which means the cost price for each book is 200 naira. How much will the book be sold for?

@ kay29000
U said you published some fiction stories on amazon, how was the sales? Did people respond well to them? For now I'm on non-fiction and thinking of adding one or two fiction but don't know how the outcome will be and don't want to waste my time. I'm new to kindle publishing and learning daily

Firs of all, thanks for responding to Zayzee's post. I don't know whether she is a senator's daughter or something, lol! N200 per book is quiet expensive. The first and only book I have had published was done by a printer/publisher in Lagos for me at N80,000 for 1,000 copies...That is N80 per book and I still had a little problem selling it at a price that would pay me. Well, it was a small book though...About 50 pages, and small in size....Like the Keypoint secondary school students use back in the day. I wouldn't mind if I can self publish my novel at N60,000 for a thousand copies. I know it is possible.

So, to the second question. To be honest with you, the bitter truth is that I have not sold ONE copy of my novels. cryI have two novels, and one short story. I have sold just one copy of my short story though. I guess people don't like buying books from African authors, or maybe the market is just that saturated.

Well, this is what I did- I started using a pen name (Amy Cole), and writing short erotic romance books, and I have 5 up now. They don't sell much (about 3 copies each every month), but I have a feeling that when I get up to 20 short stories on Amazon, things will pick up. A female pen name is a plus, so you should be cool. Just know that you have to put out a couple of books before you start seeing good sales.

So, what genre do you write in?

1 Like

Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Godmother(f): 7:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
kay29000:

Firs of all, thanks for responding to Zayzee's post. I don't know whether she is a senator's daughter or something, lol! N200 per book is quiet expensive. The first and only book I have had published was done by a printer/publisher in Lagos for me at N80,000 for 1,000 copies...That is N80 per book and I still had a little problem selling it at a price that would pay me. Well, it was a small book though...About 50 pages, and small in size....Like the Keypoint secondary school students use back in the day. I wouldn't mind if I can self publish my novel at N60,000 for a thousand copies. I know it is possible.

So, to the second question. To be honest with you, the bitter truth is that I have not sold ONE copy of my novels. cryI have two novels, and one short story. I have sold just one copy of my short story though. I guess people don't like buying books from African authors, or maybe the market is just that saturated.

Well, this is what I did- I started using a pen name (Amy Cole), and writing short erotic romance books, and I have 5 up now. They don't sell much (about 3 copies each every month), but I have a feeling that when I get up to 20 short stories on Amazon, things will pick up. A female pen name is a plus, so you should be cool. Just know that you have to put out a couple of books before you start seeing good sales.

So, what genre do you write in?

I write on health and food/diet. I have sold 4 books and have about 6 borrows. I stumbled on a thread by mk82 last month and decided to give self publishing a try. I have so much more to learn. I have over 21 stories on romance written but I'm reluctant to upload them cos I heard fictions don't sell well, just wanted to confirm from you if its true.

3 book sale a month is not bad, especially if you have a lot of books.

I'm following the tips given by mk82 and hoping to learn more from seasoned self publishers
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 10:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
Godmother:

I write on health and food/diet. I have sold 4 books and have about 6 borrows. I stumbled on a thread by mk82 last month and decided to give self publishing a try. I have so much more to learn. I have over 21 stories on romance written but I'm reluctant to upload them cos I heard fictions don't sell well, just wanted to confirm from you if its true.

3 book sale a month is not bad, especially if you have a lot of books.

I'm following the tips given by mk82 and hoping to learn more from seasoned self publishers

That's great...mk82 is actually my mentor; I know him personally. He is a great teacher.

You have 21 stories? What!!? What are you waiting for? Start uploading them...one every week. Just get someone to do catchy covers for you. I can recommend a great cover guy for you.
.he charges very moderately (N500 Glo card for a cover.)
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Godmother(f): 10:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
kay29000:

That's great...mk82 is actually my mentor; I know him personally. He is a great teacher.

You have 21 stories? What!!? What are you waiting for? Start uploading them...one every week. Just get someone to do catchy covers for you. I can recommend a great cover guy for you.

I wrote them in my teenage years so a lot of them are mushy mushy and need some editing to become professional. I just went through one of them and it was a good read( if I should say so myself hehehehe). Wrote it will I was in school and titled it SHUTTERS. I'll start working on them so I can upload. Tanx.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Godmother(f): 10:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
Also I'm good with graphics design and do my covers myself, though sometimes I download videos when I have problems with some graphic concepts
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 11:12pm On Jun 15, 2015
Godmother:

I wrote them in my teenage years so a lot of them are mushy mushy and need some editing to become professional. I just went through one of them and it was a good read( if I should say so myself hehehehe). Wrote it will I was in school and titled it SHUTTERS. I'll start working on them so I can upload. Tanx.

Cool.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by moutew: 7:48pm On Apr 17, 2016
CUT YOUR PRINTING COST By 50% WITH GENUINE & CHEAPEST TONER CARTRIDGES!

HUES TONERS are High Quality and Guaranteed Ink Toner Cartridges Compatible with the most Popular LaserJets and

Inkjets Printers in the world like HP Printers; Lexmark Printers; Samsung Printers; Epson Printers; Sharp Printers etc

HUES TONERS are a Premium Quality Inks which aim at providing the best experience in Printing for Organizations,

Companies and Individuals.

-We always try to understand the needs of our customers and offer the best solution based on their needs and

requirements.

- We have Proudly been able to Provide solutions to many Organizations, Banks and Companies which resulted in reducing

their Printing Costs by around 50% without compromising the Quality and Finishing of their Prints and Publications.

Product Guaranteed
- Manufactured to strict standards and tested for print quality and performance standard.
- 100% guarantee to perform very sharp with clear, sharp, highest printing

Price Guaranteed
- We offer the best prices of compatible laser-jet cartridges guaranteed!
- Our price is the lowest you will ever find in the market.
- You save up to 50% of your printing coast without compromising the print quality.

Lifetime Guaranteed
- We are confident in our products' performances and yields.
- If you are not fully satisfied with your purchase for any reason, you can return the purchase for as full refund of

your purchase price.

DEALERS ARE URGENTLY NEEDED!
ORDER NOW AND ENJOY 50% REDUCTION FROM YOUR PRINTING COSTS!

https://www.nairaland.com/2265831/cut-printing-cost-50-genuine#32897320

THANKS!
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by OkoyeA1(m): 8:51pm On Jun 17, 2016
Godmother:

@ kay29000
Hi, I have two books I wrote. How do I publish on amazon Kindle and how's the payment? Can I contact via email
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 12:47pm On Jun 18, 2016
OkoyeA1:
Hi, I have two books I wrote. How do I publish on amazon Kindle and how's the payment? Can I contact via email

Everything you need to know is in this link. https://www.nairaland.com/1499182/making-regular-income-publishing-amazon
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by TONYE001(m): 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2016
kay29000:

Hello, greetings.

I'll need the contact of this person that does cover at the rate you stated. I am currently working on a piece, it's here on Nairaland sef..I decided to upload it here (against my wife's advice)..I needed the public review and *pressure to finish up*..

I'm actually looking forward to publishing this work online..but I'm considering Okadabooks instead of Amazon..since the former is more of an African market..

What do you think?
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by projectandpages: 5:35pm On Aug 19, 2016
Are u an aspiring or accomplished writer? Hit http://www.projectandpages.com for free book publishing and marketing
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by Peaceman4: 8:13am On Oct 09, 2016
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by LarrySun(m): 5:55pm On Oct 09, 2016
This is a very good thread. I am in the same situation here. sad

I want to publish my Kanu: The Journal of a Rogue in hard copy too. I have done a good editing job on it, and designed a perfect cover too. My problem now is the financial constraints. I am too financially hard up to afford even a hundred thousand naira.

I am very, very certain people would love the story. It's not too long and no dull moment. It's filled with a lot of actions and lessons. I am even ready to do the marketing myself. I'll appreciate it if anyone can help a brother.

Here is an excerpt from the book:

I sat at the edge of the bed and watched the limp rascal. He was totally withered, much like a deceased fish. I watched him closely. His breathing was shallow. The sweat oozing from his forehead showed that he would be coming about soon. I bent down before him and removed the boots he wore. I also relieved his loops of the belt.

Less than five minutes later, he came slowly awake. He was groaning but his eyes were still shut. I had no patience for such nonsense. I reached out and gave him a hard slap. His eyes came wide open. He looked up at me with surprise etched on his face. I knew he couldn't see me in the darkness. I had covered my face with a cap.

"Who are you?" He asked nervously, his voice registering panic, "What do you want with me?"

I thickened my voice and said, "We're going to have a long night, my friend."

"What am I doing here?"

"You're here to get entertained." I replied, still retaining my thick voice. My captive was about five years older than I was.

"Entertained?" He looked dumb.

"Yes, entertained, my friend. Two weeks ago, you had fun. You raped a girl and urinated on her. In short, you had the best entertainment when she was shot dead. You're a true Scarecrow. I'm just here to make sure the fun doesn't end. Unfortunately this time around, you're the victim. I'm assuring, however, that you're not going to be raped or urinated on. A new kind of fun would be introduced."

"Who are you? How did you know about all these? Are you a Southpaw? I see that you're holding the knife in your left hand. What is your business with our activities? You guys should do your things and allow us to do ours."

I smiled. No, I actually laughed. "If I were a Southpaw, you would already be dead. And I wouldn't be the one killing you. I just don't want that to happen. I want to give you the chance of atoning for your sins."

The nonentity laughed. "If you're not a Southpaw," he said, "Then you must have a lot of balls taking me hostage. How dare you take a Crow hostage? You want to die?"

I stared at him in speculation for about seven seconds before I suddenly picked up the screwdriver and stabbed him on the left thigh. He screamed like a bat.

"Listen to me, you piece of garbage. I'm not here to sing you a lullaby. The only person who would be dying here is you. Let's see who has the real balls here."

The cover art is attached below.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala, kindly help us out with front page. Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by kay29000(m): 10:48am On Oct 13, 2016
Peaceman4:

Hello sir, can I get your contact? Need to to talk with you.

Okay.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by fulgene(f): 5:17pm On Oct 28, 2016
so I was on nairaland last year looking for where I could learn the skill of Book Publishing but I didn't see ooo, then I can across one heaven-sent institute around Ikotun, Lagos where I not only gained the Book publishing skill but also got to perfect my Desktop publishing skills and got some basics on CD publishing... I got more than I was looking for mehn, and not as expensive as I feared.. OK fast forward to many months after... I have published 3 books with one of them already selling on okada books , you go check it out... search CAREER PATHFINDING

Highly enlightening.., if you're a parent, you should read this. Highly recommended for High school leavers, graduates too, Dissolves all the confusion around choice of study and career.. You should check it out. http://okadabooks.com/book/about/career_pathfinding/12390 The true End of Education is a Better Character - M.I. Okolo

in this age and time... getting skilled in one trade or the other is the way forward ooo. call the Director (Dominion Heights Publishers) Mrs Okolo 08034764966. ...go and arm yourself with a skill o

Asides the training, she also provides Book Publishing & Printing services (Religious, Educational or Inspirational), you can call her up, am sure you'll get a great deal.
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by classbooks: 12:45am On Oct 29, 2016
LarrySun:
This is a very good thread. I am in the same situation here. sad

I want to publish my Kanu: The Journal of a Rogue in hard copy too. I have done a good editing job on it, and designed a perfect cover too. My problem now is the financial constraints. I am too financially hard up to afford even a hundred thousand naira.

I am very, very certain people would love the story. It's not too long and no dull moment. It's filled with a lot of actions and lessons. I am even ready to do the marketing myself. I'll appreciate it if anyone can help a brother.

Here is an excerpt from the book:

I sat at the edge of the bed and watched the limp rascal. He was totally withered, much like a deceased fish. I watched him closely. His breathing was shallow. The sweat oozing from his forehead showed that he would be coming about soon. I bent down before him and removed the boots he wore. I also relieved his loops of the belt.

Less than five minutes later, he came slowly awake. He was groaning but his eyes were still shut. I had no patience for such nonsense. I reached out and gave him a hard slap. His eyes came wide open. He looked up at me with surprise etched on his face. I knew he couldn't see me in the darkness. I had covered my face with a cap.

"Who are you?" He asked nervously, his voice registering panic, "What do you want with me?"

I thickened my voice and said, "We're going to have a long night, my friend."

"What am I doing here?"

"You're here to get entertained." I replied, still retaining my thick voice. My captive was about five years older than I was.

"Entertained?" He looked dumb.

"Yes, entertained, my friend. Two weeks ago, you had fun. You raped a girl and urinated on her. In short, you had the best entertainment when she was shot dead. You're a true Scarecrow. I'm just here to make sure the fun doesn't end. Unfortunately this time around, you're the victim. I'm assuring, however, that you're not going to be raped or urinated on. A new kind of fun would be introduced."

"Who are you? How did you know about all these? Are you a Southpaw? I see that you're holding the knife in your left hand. What is your business with our activities? You guys should do your things and allow us to do ours."

I smiled. No, I actually laughed. "If I were a Southpaw, you would already be dead. And I wouldn't be the one killing you. I just don't want that to happen. I want to give you the chance of atoning for your sins."

The nonentity laughed. "If you're not a Southpaw," he said, "Then you must have a lot of balls taking me hostage. How dare you take a Crow hostage? You want to die?"

I stared at him in speculation for about seven seconds before I suddenly picked up the screwdriver and stabbed him on the left thigh. He screamed like a bat.

"Listen to me, you piece of garbage. I'm not here to sing you a lullaby. The only person who would be dying here is you. Let's see who has the real balls here."

The cover art is attached below.

Cc: Seun, lalasticlala, kindly help us out with front page. Thank you.
larrysun, i am Adeniyi Quadri nd a publisher. Give me a call in the afternoon tomorow nd lets see if we can work things out
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by classbooks: 12:48am On Oct 29, 2016
classbooks:
larrysun, i am Adeniyi Quadri nd a publisher. Give me a call in the afternoon tomorow nd lets see if we can work things out
Re: I Need Help With Self Publishing One Of My Books by SegilolaSalami: 10:16pm On May 17, 2017
here's a UK naija publisher in case anyone is looking for one https://www.segilolapublishing.com/submit-your-manuscript/

(1) (Reply)

In Love With Her Pastor-episode 2 By Angelsss / Laila A Short Story / Fopefolu Memorial High School

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.