Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,550 members, 7,801,544 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ (1031 Views)

Woman Abandons Newborn Twins In Lagos Hospital Over N150k Hospital Bill / Woman’s Body Covered In Almost 6,000 Tumours (Graphic Pics) / 7 Things You Need To Know About Uterine Fibroid Tumours (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by juman(m): 9:21am On Jun 10, 2015
Los Angeles surgeons working to remove a tumor from an Indiana woman’s brain said the growth turned out to be the patient’s embryonic twin. UPI reports:

Yamini Karanam, 26, a Ph.D. student at Indiana University, said she underwent surgery at the Skull Base Institute after problems she started having with reading and listening comprehension last September were determined to be the result of a tumor in her brain.
Karanam said she was shocked when she woke up after the surgery and Dr. Hrayr Shahinian’s team revealed the tumor to be an embryonic twin with bone, hair and teeth. Shahinian said such a tumor, or “teratoma,” is rare to find in modern medicine. “This is my second one, and I’ve probably taken out 7,000 or 8,000 brain tumors,” Shahiniantold NBC Los Angeles.

http://www.informationng.com/2015/04/embryonic-twins-discovered-by-los-angeles-surgeons-in-patients-brain.html

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/27/teratoma-tumour-evil-twin-cancer

Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by lomaxx: 9:29am On Jun 10, 2015
The topic is misleading. It rather paints the picture of a twin ectopic pregnancy in the brain.

The patient had a teratoma removed from her skull. Teratoma can either be one of embryonic or germinal tissue. This patient had an embryonic teratoma which divided into "twin" embryonic tissues.

Topics should be made to reflect the content abeg.

1 Like

Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by juman(m): 9:36am On Jun 10, 2015
lomaxx:
The topic is misleading. It rather paints the picture of a twin ectopic pregnancy in the brain.

The patient had a teratoma removed from her skull. Teratoma can either be one of embryonic or germinal tissue. This patient had an embryonic teratoma which divided into "twin" embryonic tissues.

Topics should be made to reflect the content abeg.

I reread the news again I think the topic given by the website where I picked the news is appropriate.

Anyway what do you think the topic suppose to be?
Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by lomaxx: 9:52am On Jun 10, 2015
juman:

I reread the news again I think the topic given by the website where I picked the news is appropriate.

Anyway what do you think the topic suppose to be?

Embryonic Tumour Discovered.....
Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by juman(m): 10:10am On Jun 10, 2015
lomaxx:

Embryonic Tumour Discovered.....

But what of the part of the news that stated that the the tumor to be an embryonic twin with bone, hair and teeth?

Karanam said she was shocked when she woke up after the surgery and Dr. Hrayr Shahinian’s team revealed the tumor to be an embryonic twin with bone, hair and teeth.
Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by lomaxx: 10:22am On Jun 10, 2015
juman:

But what of the part of the news that stated that the the tumor to be an embryonic twin with bone, hair and teeth?

Teratomas are tumors derived from the 3 germ cell layers which would give you the bone,, hair teeth. Whether the teratoma is in the ovary, lungs, liver, or in the midline, you will have the same features. It doesn't mean there was a fertlization and subsequent implantation like a normal embryo.
Re: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’ by juman(m): 10:56am On Jun 10, 2015
lomaxx:

Teratomas are tumors derived from the 3 germ cell layers which would give you the bone,, hair teeth. Whether the teratoma is in the ovary, lungs, liver, or in the midline, you will have the same features. It doesn't mean there was a fertlization and subsequent implantation like a normal embryo.

Okay, I understand better. I also gave a small glance on the internet.

I will change the topic to "Embryonic Tumour Discovered In A Woman's Brain".
Is that okay?

One website got the same news with the headline: Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’

The topic has changed to that of the other website.
"Teratomas: the tumours that can transform into ‘evil twins’"

(1) (Reply)

Having Inferiority Complex? You Should Check This Out / Ultrasoun Training For Health Workers At Devine Diagnostics Solutions / Don't Let Cancer, Stop It With Nigella Sativa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.