Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,988 members, 7,799,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB (3339 Views)

What The Constitution Says About The Civilian Wearing The Military Uniform / The Injustice Buhari Did To The Genius Of UNILAG - Punch / Tanzanian President Mugufuli Joining Leaders Like PMB. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by YoursGEJ(m): 12:03am On Jun 11, 2015
What do Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, President Barack Obama and Albert Einstein all have in common?

They've all worn the same outfit, pretty much every day.

Why? It isn’t a coincidence. Jobs and President Barack Obama, for example, are both part of the same-outfit club, but for different reasons. And both are logical, from both a scientific and business perspective.

The Science

If you notice, Obama wears a blue or gray suit all the time (when he wore a tan suit earlier this year, it nearly blew up the Internet). Why? Here’s the explanation he gave to famed writer Michael Lewis, via Vanity Fair:

“You’ll see I wear only gray or blue suits,” Obama told Lewis. “I’m trying to pare down decisions. I don’t want to make decisions about what I’m eating or wearing. Because I have too many other decisions to make.”

That logic is backed up with some pretty convincing science. Two college professors who have studied decision-making, Kathleen Vohs and Barry Schwartz, both found that a person has a limited amount of brain power in a day, so the more decisions they have to make, the weaker their decision-making process becomes.

"The mere act of thinking about whether you prefer A or B tires you out," Schwartz told The LA Times. "So if I give you something else that takes discipline, you can't do it -- you'll quit faster. If I have lifted weights in a gym, later trying to lift a 30-pound weight is impossible."

Vohs conducted a study where she asked a group of random people how many decisions they made that day, and then asked them a series of simple math questions. The more decisions they made in the day, the worse they did on the math questions.

Steve Jobs’ Reason

Jobs, meanwhile, garnered the additional benefit of more brain power by choosing to wear primarily a black turtleneck, blue jeans and white shoes, but that wasn’t his main motivation. Instead, Forbes reports Jobs – one of the great marketers ever – did it to establish himself as a brand.

“It is also great to have a trademark look,” William Arruda, a branding expert, told Forbes. “It makes you memorable and distinctive.”

It makes sense, when you think about it. After all, who can’t picture Jobs without that iconic black turtleneck? Or Zuckerberg, with his gray shirt, portraying the ultimate irreverent, precocious 21st-century Internet entrepreneur? Or heck, even Bono, and his ever-present yellow shades?

For these people, that look has become part of their overall mystique. And that makes them more iconic, like a Homer Simpson, which people can recognize instantly.

Albert Einstein

Similarly, Albert Einstein reportedly bought several variations of the same gray suit so that he wouldn’t have to waste time deciding what to wear each morning. This is all related to the concept of decision fatigue. This is a real psychological condition in which a person’s productivity suffers as a result of becoming mentally exhausted from making so many irrelevant decisions.

Simply put, by stressing over things like what to eat or wear every day, people become less efficient at work.

This is precisely why individuals like President Obama, Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg and Albert Einstein decided to make life easier by adopting a monotonous wardrobe.

Obviously, as these are some of the most successful and productive individuals in history, they are on to something.

Indeed, having a diverse collection of clothing is overrated. We waste so much time worrying about things that have no substantial consequences, and don’t even realize how easily we could change this.

We might all consider simplifying our lives a bit more by reducing the amount of time we spend thinking about pointless aspects of our day. In the process, one might find that they are significantly less stressed, more productive and more fulfilled.

Life is complicated enough, don’t allow the little things to dictate your happiness. Simplify, simplify.

https://www./20141105164315-283620963-the-genius-of-wearing-the-same-outfit-every-day

http://elitedaily.com/money/science-simplicity-successful-people-wear-thing-every-day/849141/

Please share and maybe somebody will thank you one day for setting them on the path to success

11 Likes 9 Shares

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by INTROVERT(f): 12:07am On Jun 11, 2015
We have successful peepz in Africa too but they dont wear 100 shades of a piece of clothing.

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by ayowonder(m): 12:14am On Jun 11, 2015
nice one

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Obijulius: 12:21am On Jun 11, 2015
OP on the surface your prefix and the supporting arguments sound convincing.

But a deeper analysis will prove you false on all grounds, I think you are being subjective here.

Good grooming is a sign of respect, but not necessarily a determiner of success .

2 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by OKNkanu(m): 12:35am On Jun 11, 2015
Long Boring Story

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by ladyteska(f): 12:36am On Jun 11, 2015
super interesting

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by YoursGEJ(m): 12:47am On Jun 11, 2015
Obijulius:

But a deeper analysis will prove you false on all grounds, I think you are being subjective here.

Good grooming is a sign of respect, but not necessarily a determiner of success .

Mr man, please come up with your "deeper analysis". The article states that not worrying about what you wear allows you to focus on being a successful person not that you must dress a certain way in order to be successful. Apparently there are successful people who do not wear the same clothes everyday and the article does not argue against this fact. If this was a comprehension test, you would have failed woefully.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by QuotaSystem: 12:51am On Jun 11, 2015
Nice and enlightening piece.

2 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by dont8(m): 1:05am On Jun 11, 2015
I don't think the article and PMB's mode of dressing should be in the same sentence because he doesn't have a particular mode of dressing known to me, GEJ would have been a better example of a trade mark dressing IMO.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by lomaxx: 2:21am On Jun 11, 2015
dont8:
I don't think the article and PMB's mode of dressing should be in the same sentence because he doesn't have a particular mode of dressing known to me, GEJ would have been a better example of a trade mark dressing IMO.

Are you really serious??

In you people's defence of this one man, you worship him like he can't be flawed even in any respect.

Topic said PMB has a trademark dressing. You, in guaranteeing defense, brought in GEJ.

As if PMB doesn't dress one way almost all the time.

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Imokay: 4:06am On Jun 11, 2015
INTROVERT:
We have successful peepz in Africa too but they dont wear 100 shades of a piece of clothing.

Otedola is almost always in white Kaftan

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by robinicule(m): 4:29am On Jun 11, 2015
am almost always on black boxers

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Bifwoli: 4:40am On Jun 11, 2015
Its not genius at all....1st you'll look like you never change clothes and 2nd there's an African proverb that says if you stayin with one thing too long you'll attract flees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by bunmititi(f): 4:45am On Jun 11, 2015
Sai baba
sai baba
sai baba
sai babalawo!
he still dey sleep ni?
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Nobody: 4:48am On Jun 11, 2015
robinicule:
am almost always on black boxers
chai !!; nigerian youthsssssss shaaaaa.....

And yeah, i agree that PMB and GEJ fall in that category.. It shows that certain concepts come natural when you wear greater responsibilities

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:03am On Jun 11, 2015
Nice piece.

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:14am On Jun 11, 2015
INTROVERT:

Does that invalidate the theory/science of ADDITIONAL decision making capacity from reduced redundancies

I guess this is one of the reasons the systematically cerebral scientist, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was more productive as president for five years despite extra-ordinary challenges compared to the Agbaya of Owu.who ruined us for eight years TALKING nonsense wink

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:21am On Jun 11, 2015
Bifwoli:
Its not genius at all....1st you'll look like you never change clothes and 2nd there's an African proverb that says if you stayin with one thing too long you'll attract flees.

You have Mis-applied the proverb.

Secondly and perhaps most importantly how PRODUCTIVE and how much real VALUE do we create as Africans

How many of us think beyond 3-5 years range for past or future activities/projects with continuous improvement/maintenance/refinement/RECORDS?

Any wonder why we are the SCUMBAGS of the earth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Nobody: 5:28am On Jun 11, 2015
How come no one complained about the same fedora one Mr clueless wore all his life?
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:32am On Jun 11, 2015
Yungwizzzy:
How come no one complained about the same fedora one Mr clueless wore all his life?

What did you just do and have you been on Mars all the while?

Or perhaps you are nobody!

3 Likes

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by omenka(m): 5:34am On Jun 11, 2015
Obijulius:

The op didn't say it is a "determiner of success". What his argument supports is that it makes the task of being successful a bit less tedious. Having not to worry so much about what to wear gives your brain room to accommodate more productive thoughts.

Get the drift now??

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by omenka(m): 5:35am On Jun 11, 2015
OKNkanu:
Long Boring Story
On the contrary, I think the writeup is quite interesting and gives an insight into why some world leaders have trademark appearance.

You should read it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by omenka(m): 5:39am On Jun 11, 2015
anonimi:

You have Mis-applied the proverb.

Secondly and perhaps most importantly how PRODUCTIVE and how much real VALUE do we create as Africans

How many of us think beyond 3-5 years range for past or future activities/projects with continuous improvement/maintenance/refinement/RECORDS?

Any wonder why we are the SCUMBAGS of the earth
Make ROSSIKE catch you. cheesycheesy
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:43am On Jun 11, 2015
lomaxx:

Are you really serious??

In you people's defence of this one man, you worship him like he can't be flawed even in any respect.

Topic said PMB has a trademark dressing. You, in guaranteeing defense, brought in GEJ.

As if PMB doesn't dress one way almost all the time.

Without meaning to turn this enriching thread to GEJ vs GMB, it is useful to point out that Buhari does NOT dress one way almost all the time.

More like 40% - 50% of the time when you take in his dress mode in Defence House and since 2003 when he has been trying UNSUCCESSFULLY till 2015 to be employed by us to our nation's top job.

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:44am On Jun 11, 2015
omenka:
Make ROSSIKE catch you. cheesycheesy

I nor send person oh. cheesy
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by omenka(m): 5:47am On Jun 11, 2015
anonimi:

I nor send person oh. cheesy
If I were you I'd retract the statement now that I have the chance oo.... Don't say I didn't warn you oo. smiley
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Nobody: 5:47am On Jun 11, 2015
The outfit he wore to Germany is a different outfit from others.
Outfit 1 is different from outfit 2,3 and 4

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by BLOTRS: 5:50am On Jun 11, 2015
what is this OP saying? and who told you buhari said he'll stick to one kind of dress...please worry about other things?
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by anonimi: 5:52am On Jun 11, 2015
omenka:
If I were you I'd retract the statement now that I have the chance oo.... Don't say I didn't warn you oo. smiley

Thanks for the warning. I hope he shows up, WHOEVER he is. tongue
Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by ZKOSOSO(m): 5:54am On Jun 11, 2015
That does not apply to our always on white wearing politicians. They are simply wearing the signet of their fraternal leanings.

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by egopersonified(f): 5:56am On Jun 11, 2015
Hope my boss knows nothing about this.

1 Like

Re: The Genius Of Wearing The Same Outfit Every Day....Like PMB by Nobody: 6:05am On Jun 11, 2015
Obijulius:

Why don't you go ahead and write yours? Those who are always busy adding sand to others' salt will eventually eat sand. Yeye!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is The State Of The East-west Road After N726 Billion? / Top Ten Most Evil Dictators Of All Time (in Order Of Kill Count) / Real Life Fallen Angel Has Fallen From The Sky In London(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.