Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) (37668 Views)

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? / FG Ends Bsc And HND Dichotomy, Approves Equal Salaries For HND & Degree Holders / Running My ND And Bsc Programme Together; Is It Advisable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 8:12pm On Jun 11, 2015
Hello Nairalanders, am a polytechnic student of Accoutancy, hoping to switch to a University after my ND and would like to clarify certain issues:

1. Whats the difference between general Bsc and BSc (Hons); does one carry more weight than another?

2. What is the difference between BSc and BTech?
My school is about to be converted to a University of Technology, which means I can proceed to graduate with B.Tech. But am an accounting student - does having a B.Tech Accounting make any sense (since its not a technology course).

Helping to clarify these problems is highly appreciated.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by missKiffy(f): 8:17pm On Jun 11, 2015
Bsc honours simply means the person finished in exactly 4 years if it is a 4 years course, for the B.Tech, degree is degree. If you are given Bsc in Accounting, is accounting a science course

11 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 8:26pm On Jun 11, 2015
Thats an amazing discovery. Thanks,

missKiffy:
Bsc honours simply means the person finished in exactly 4 years if it is a 4 years course, for the B.Tech, degree is degree. If you are given Bsc in Accounting, is accounting a science course

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Beesluv: 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2015
missKiffy:
I just don't get the explanation
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by missKiffy(f): 8:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
Beesluv:

The op got it, you don't have to

16 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 8:44pm On Jun 11, 2015
Beesluv:

I think she means a Bsc (Hons) is awarded if the programme is completed in exactly 4 years.

Cc: lalasticlala & fynestboi, abeg make una help me

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by JustCurious: 8:53pm On Jun 11, 2015
Beesluv:

By implication, she means that anyone who had an extra semester year would only be awarded the B.Sc...without the (Hons.) :/

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ekochris(m): 9:14pm On Jun 11, 2015
JustCurious:

By implication, she means that anyone who had an extra semester, year would only be awarded the B.Sc...without the (Hons.) :/

Yeah....but what if the cause of the delay is out of the student's control i.e. Strikes.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ucheends(m): 10:05pm On Jun 11, 2015
what i understand here is bsc,hons; is for someone that graduated without a carryover course all through his period in d uni.
If during your stay in school,you got a carryover in a course. U have missed d honoary.[hons] attached to it
ekochris:

Yeah....but what if the cause of the delay is out of the student's control i.e. Strikes.
what i understand here is bsc,hons; is for someone that graduated without a carryover course all through his period in d uni.
If during your stay in school,you got a carryover in a course. U have missed d honoary.[hons] attached to it

5 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by JustCurious: 10:05pm On Jun 11, 2015
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
ekochris:

As long as you do not spend more than the number of semesters stated in your degree curriculum, you get the (Hons).
As for B.Tech, it is the degree awarded to graduates of a university of technology except Medicine graduates.
However, there is NO 4-year course for B.Tech. All courses cover a 10-semester curriculum.
Your case may only be effective on students admitted after the conversion and there after. Else, brace up for additional semesters.

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Tanyogo(m): 10:21pm On Jun 11, 2015
I had not less than 10 carry overs with an extra semester during my 5 years degree programme, but was still issued Honours. So what are we saying here.

13 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by AmazingSolutnz(m): 10:30pm On Jun 11, 2015
B.Sc without the hons are sometimes offered in courses where the students are not expected to turn in a dissertation (Project/thesis). However, if this is the case, its usually outlined right from the beginning of the program that you shall not be required to write or submit a dissertation before graduation. However, if the hons route is available on the program, then you'll be required to go the whole length- finish the programme and do a dissertation before being eligible to graduate.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 11, 2015
AmazingSolutnz:
B.Sc without the hons are sometimes offered in courses where the students are not expected to turn in a dissertation (Project/thesis). However, if this is the case, its usually outlined right from the beginning of the program that you shall not be required to write or submit a dissertation before graduation. However, if the hons route is available on the program, then you'll be required to go the whole length- finish the programme and do a dissertation before being eligible to graduate.
I being dey understand other people's explanation small small, until I see your own. Oh boy you just use grammar scatter my head completely, na confusion - mode I dey right now.

Friedplantain

29 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by okolola25: 11:20pm On Jun 11, 2015
missKiffy:

Good evening Prof. Please I need yor candid advice. I am a science education graduate. Wanna go for my Masters Degree, having 2 faculties to proceed into (Science and Edu) please what post graduate course (within my jurisdiction) would you recommend for me.......for the purpose of get good job upon graduation? Thanks.
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by royal231(m): 11:23pm On Jun 11, 2015
I was a one week one trouble student in the uni... got an extra year too..... but still got Bsc hons. ..

So werin that guy dey yarn

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by aytom(m): 11:28pm On Jun 11, 2015
When you graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper or lower, or 3rd class, you will be awarded Honours. Otherwise, you will be awarded a B. sc(pass)

7 Likes

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by kellyJames5(m): 11:30pm On Jun 11, 2015
FriedPlantain:
I being dey understand other people's explanation small small, until I see your own. Oh boy you just use grammar scatter my head completely, na confusion - mode I dey right now.

Same here mehn! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Mcowubaba: 11:45pm On Jun 11, 2015
kellyJames5:

Same here mehn! cheesy
Thirded mehn!!! grin dissertation ni .... Go sch, I no gree sad

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by okolola25: 11:50pm On Jun 11, 2015
Good evening Prof. Please I need yor candid advice. I am a science education graduate. Wanna go for my Masters Degree, having 2 faculties to proceed into (Science and Edu) please what post graduate course (within my jurisdiction) would you recommend for me.......for the purpose of getting good job upon graduation? Thanks
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Ozavize88(f): 12:03am On Jun 12, 2015
Am learning

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by guardian09(m): 12:41am On Jun 12, 2015
ekochris:
Hello Nairalanders, am a polytechnic student of Accoutancy, hoping to switch to a University after my ND and would like to clarify certain issues:

1. Whats the difference between general Bsc and BSc (Hons); does one carry more weight than another?

2. What is the difference between BSc and BTech?
My school is about to be converted to a University of Technology, which means I can proceed to graduate with B.Tech. But am an accounting student - does having a B.Tech Accounting make any sense (since its not a technology course).

Helping to clarify these problems is highly appreciated.

Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Bsc
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/#ixzz3cnejUnpC

Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Btech

Bachelor of science is an undergraduate course in which you select a field in which you are going to pursue the degree ie in maths , chemistry, physics, biotechnology and many other. Where as on the other hand bachelor of technology is fully a technical course in which one learns everything practically.

http://www.quora.com/Whats-the-difference-between-Bsc-And-B-Tech

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Obinoscopy(m): 12:41am On Jun 12, 2015
aytom:
When you graduate with 1st class, 2nd class upper or lower, or 3rd class, you will be awarded Honours. Otherwise, you will be awarded a B. sc(pass)
You are right. As for the other guys' responses, I don't think they are right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by abdulaz: 12:47am On Jun 12, 2015
AmazingSolutnz:
this is the best answer to the op's question, you just nailed it straight up.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Funpeter: 12:55am On Jun 12, 2015
let me quickly check if my Bsc get hons

okay got it.........

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by CertifiedFreak(m): 1:25am On Jun 12, 2015
Dude with all the dissertation theory just threw this place into confusion.
Eeerm, just what is dissertation sef?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by greatestman(m): 2:59am On Jun 12, 2015
aytom:
You have nailed everything i wonder over some answers been given here. PASS DEGREE is a degree without honour.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by poundlander: 5:36am On Jun 12, 2015
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.

2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.

3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.

4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.

5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by ignis: 5:55am On Jun 12, 2015
aytom:
That's it .

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by Nobody: 6:01am On Jun 12, 2015
guardian09:

Difference between Bsc (Hons) and Bsc

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/#ixzz3cnejUnpC

Both sides are right actually. In Scotland for example, one can choose to leave school in the 3rd year of a 4-year course. Such students are awarded an ordinary, less respected degree --B.Sc or BA without honors. Thus, the final year is called the "Honors year" and students who enroll themselves for it are called "Honors students" and get to do a dissertation (project).

The same applies for the masters degree. Students who choose to leave after the first or second semester are awarded a Postgraduate diploma certificate, rather than an M.Sc.

I doubt if any emphasis is placed on this in Nigeria.

Graduates with a "Pass" also get the ordinary degree.

aooyelami:

As long as you do not spend more than the number of semesters stated in your degree curriculum, you get the (Hons).

This practice is especially true in Nigeria, where the ordinary B.Sc is reserved for students who don't graduate with their colleagues because of academic issues, example, carryover.

Many universities and colleges offer both honours and non-honours Bachelor's degree variation. In most countries, using the undergraduate Honours grading system, the term "Honours" (or "Honors" in the United States) is an academic distinction, which indicates that students must achieve their bachelor's degree with a sufficiently high overall grade point average. In addition, some programs may require more education than non-honours programs. Students who complete all the requirements for an Honours Bachelor's degree but do not receive sufficient merit to be awarded Honours will be awarded the non-honours Bachelor's degree variation in the same field of studies (also known as Minors, Majors, Pass or Ordinary Bachelor's degree), abbreviated "B.A." or "B.Sc." In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, almost all bachelor's degrees are awarded as Honours degrees; a student achieving a passing grade below honours standard also earns the Bachelor's degree, but without the honours distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honours_degree

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by hrykanu231(m): 6:37am On Jun 12, 2015
royal231:
I was a one week one trouble student in the uni... got an extra year too..... but still got Bsc hons. ..

So werin that guy dey yarn
Lol@one week one trouble. Dis ur number sha, are u copying me or my GrandPa gave u the number too?
Re: Difference Between Bsc And Bsc (hons) by jejemanito: 7:10am On Jun 12, 2015
The more i read this thread the more i get confused

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 / No Resumption Date Yet For Schools / House Of Representatives To Arrest Father Edeh, Madonna University VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.