Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,617 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda (1115 Views)

Aregbesola Yet To Appoint Cabinet Two Years Into Second Tenure / Joda Commitee To PMB: Sack Jonathan’s Last-minutes Appointees, Review Contracts / Joda Committee Asks Buhari To Appoint Only 19 Senior Ministers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by makzeze: 6:06am On Jun 13, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari deserves a little more time to appoint his cabinet members, the chairman of his transition committee, Alhaji Ahmed Joda, has said.
Joda said this in an interview with State House journalists yesterday after submitting to Buhari, an 800-page report of the memoranda and presentations its committee received from across the country.
He explained that transfer of power from one political party to another as recently witnessed Nigeria requires a long process.
According to him, this is part of the evolution of democracy, and that Nigerians have to be a bit more patient as such evolution cannot be with immediate effect
He noted that political appointment was entirely the president’s prerogative, saying Buhari would go through the committee’s report and understand its recommendation.
On the insinuation that the submission of the report delayed political appointments, Joda said one of the terms of reference of his committee was to get the handover notes from former president Goodluck Jonathan, but that the committee did not receive it until weeks after its inauguration.
“For about five weeks, we went through memorandum, listening to presentations from all over this country. Today (yesterday), we submitted about 800 pages of the report to Mr President. It’s now his property and I believe in due course, he’ll begin to act on it,” Joda said.
“We received the handover note on the 25th of May and that report was about 18,000 pages and it took time to even sort them out and to make sense from them, read them, analyse them and come up with recommendations,” he added.
“I think he (Buhari) deserves a little bit more time. This is not an ordinary transfer of government from one president to the other. In this country, we’ve never witnessed this kind of transition from one political party to another; the political party in opposition won the election,” the super federal permanent secretary stated.
“Previous transitions from one president to the other did not require long process like this. I think this is part of the evolution of democracy. The country has to be a little bit more patient, it cannot be with immediate effect,” he said.

source: http://dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/top-stories/20794-buhari-needs-more-time-to-appoint-cabinet-ahmed-joda
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by makzeze: 6:07am On Jun 13, 2015
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by modath(f): 6:10am On Jun 13, 2015
Previous transitions from one president to the other did not require long process like this. I think this is part of the evolution of democracy. The country has to be a little bit more patient, it cannot be with immediate effect,” he said.

source: http://dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/top-stories/20794-buhari-needs-more-time-to-appoint-cabinet-ahmed-joda

Tell them ooo, like we weren't all in this country when the handover reports kept changing dates just so "magic" could happen.

The "impatient" aren't so because they are interested in the pedigree of the people that will make the cabinet, they are because they need it quickly oil their propaganda machinery & also cackle on like packs of bitter crows.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by INTROVERT(f): 6:11am On Jun 13, 2015
What can we say or do but give him time he needs.
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by kibo: 6:16am On Jun 13, 2015
Yes he needs time to select the right people, we totally understand that.

But lest he forget, extra delays will amount to inefficient running of the ministries, as they dont have heads and agenda.

The ministries are the driving force of the economy, and PMB should know this.

This election has been won since March, surely i expected PMB to have planned out his cabinet right from the day he won.

All the same, i wish him the best.

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by Maczeelly(m): 6:17am On Jun 13, 2015
Okiez
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by fitzmayowa: 6:18am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:
But lest he forget, extra delays will amount to inefficient running of the ministries, as they dont have heads and agenda.
This election has been won since March, surely i expected PMB to have planned out his cabinet right from the day he won.

You just said it all
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by MissBiba(f): 6:21am On Jun 13, 2015
SaTanoids una don hear Grand Pa ba? Weldon sir....in Baba we trust!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by MissBiba(f): 6:24am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:
ur m8 dey buy beta land 4 village u com dey nairaland dey buy land ba....i pity u
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by ionsman: 6:31am On Jun 13, 2015
And the protection seeker who knows everything didn't know this. ...How come? grin

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by kibo: 6:33am On Jun 13, 2015
MissBiba:
ur m8 dey buy beta land 4 village u com dey nairaland dey buy land ba....i pity u

My guess is that you didnt have the mental prowess and alacrity to drop something useful.

Instead of addressing the topic and contributing meaningfully to the forum.

You chose to respond with an inconsequential comment, thereby denying another person who would had a chance to comment significantly in this slot.

This is not fair !!
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by kodded(m): 6:39am On Jun 13, 2015
undecided undecided

You had 2 months...
...Smh
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by PassingShot(m): 6:42am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:

kodded:
undecided undecided

You had 2 months...

...Smh
Having won the election since March 28th should not mean he should have appointed cabinet members by now especially when hand-over notes were not submitted in time.

A government that is determined to succeed will want to understand the enormity of the tasks in each and every ministry so as to be able to put the right person in those ministries. It has to be a painstaking process for PMB and his team to get it right. Meanwhile, permanent secretaries will continue to take charge of the routine activities in their ministry till right persons are appointed.

The hand-over notes were officially handed over to PMB on May 28th as against May 14th earlier promised by GEJ. It was clearly a deliberate attempt to frustrate smooth take-off for PMB.

Hopefully now that the TC has completed it's task, PMB will announce his team within the next one week or thereabout.

Getting it right at first has higher values than rushing it but not getting it right.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by kibo: 6:46am On Jun 13, 2015
PassingShot:

Having won the election since March 28th should not mean he should have appointed cabinet members by now especially when hand-over notes were not submitted in time.

A government that is determined to succeed will want to understand the enormity of the tasks in each and every ministry so as to be able to put the right person in those ministries. It has to be a painstaking process for PMB and his team to get it right. Meanwhile, permanent secretaries will continue to take charge of the routine activities in their ministry till right persons are appointed.

The hand-over notes were officially handed over to PMB on May 28th as against May 14th earlier promised by GEJ. It was clearly a deliberate attempt to frustrate smooth take-off for PMB.

Hopefully now that the TC has completed it's task, PMB will announce his team within the next one week or thereabout.

Getting it right at first has higher values than rushing it but not getting it right.

Mr Passing Shot, i did not say PMB should rush and select ministers.

i am simply saying that delay is tantamount to inefficiency in the running of the ministries which has a ripple effect on the economy.

All this talk about handover notes and past administrations is not the main concern. We cant be blaming his inability to select ministers on the past government. That will be absurd and irresponsible.

BTW, we all know that the likely issue delaying the appointments would be QUOTA SYSTEM.

You have tryed to exonerate Buhari and blame the past administration for his inability to select ministers on time. That is a very biased judgement.

Let us be objective here.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by warrior01: 6:51am On Jun 13, 2015
I jus love all these excuses being peddled by all these people that doesn't want to face reality. Let continue with the excuses till 4 years is over. So Gej equally stopped him fro appointing ordinary Chief Of Staff or the SGF? Let the deception continue
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by PassingShot(m): 7:06am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:

Mr Passing Shot, i did not say PMB should rush and select ministers.

i am simply saying that delay is tantamount to inefficiency in the running of the ministries which has a ripple effect on the economy.

All this talk about handover notes and past administrations is not the main concern. We cant be blaming his inability to select ministers on the past government. That will be absurd and irresponsible.

BTW, we all know that the likely issue delaying the appointments would be QUOTA SYSTEM.

You have tryed to exonerate Buhari and blame the past administration for his inability to select ministers on time. That is a very biased judgement.

Let us be objective here.
I have not blamed past administration for his delay in appointing ministers BUT only stated what caused the delay which unfortunately is failure to get the reports from the ministries (hand over notes).

How can it be the quota system when the president must have had a long list of people likely to be his ministers from different parts of the country already with him? To me, the quota system is a smaller issue than knowing who fits where.

By the way, GEJ announced his cabinet on July 29th 2011. OBJ' and Yar'Adua's were also in July. So, how has PMB delayed when we're still in June.

Have you ever considered that an APC govt taking over from a PDP govt CANNOT be as smooth/easy as a PDP govt taking over from another PDP's?

In the case of PDP to PDP, many things can be glossed over or not even visited whereas in the case we find ourselves, it is illogical to expect that APC will not want to take proper record of what they're inheriting. It makes no sense to do that. As such, the first one or two months cannot be smoother than what we witness now. Please be objective!

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by PRYCE(m): 7:19am On Jun 13, 2015
What was he doing since he was issued his certificate of return? Oh I forgot, Flying around to be and on one occasion, was left standing under the british weather for 45 mins....
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by omenka(m): 7:22am On Jun 13, 2015
“For about [b]five weeks, we went through
memorandum, listening to presentations from all over this country. Today (yesterday), we submitted about 800 pages of the report to Mr President. It’s now his property and I believe in due course, he’ll begin to act on it,” Joda said.

“We received the handover note on the 25th of May and that report was about 18,000 pages and it took time to even sort them out and to make sense from them, read them, analyse them and come up with recommendations,” he added.

“I think he (Buhari) deserves a little bit more
time. This is not an ordinary transfer of
government from one president to the other. In
this country, we’ve never witnessed this kind of
transition from one political party to another;
the political party in opposition won the
election,” the super federal permanent secretary
stated.

"Previous transitions from one president to the other did not require long process like this. I think this is part of the evolution of democracy. The country has to be a little bit more patient, it cannot be with immediate effect,"
he said
If this doesn't put this issue to rest, nothing will.

All that media report of Buhari making announcements on monday is just meant to blackmail him into taking rash decisions which may backfire in the end.

Mr President, please take your time. You've got just one shot to get this right. We are patient and we pray fervently you succeed in leading this great country in the path of righteousness, tranquillity and progress.

God bless you sir.
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by kibo: 7:26am On Jun 13, 2015
PassingShot:

I have not blamed past administration for his delay in appointing ministers BUT only stated what caused the delay which unfortunately is failure to get the reports from the ministries (hand over notes).

How can it be the quota system when the president must have had a long list of people likely to be his ministers from different parts of the country already with him? To me, the quota system is a smaller issue than knowing who fits where.

By the way, GEJ announced his cabinet on July 29th 2011. OBJ' and Yar'Adua's were also in July. So, how has PMB delayed when we're still in June.

Have you ever considered that an APC govt taking over from a PDP govt CANNOT be as smooth/easy as a PDP govt taking over from another PDP's?

In the case of PDP to PDP, many things can be glossed over or not even visited whereas in the case we find ourselves, it is illogical to expect the first one or two months to be smoother than what we witness now. Please be objective!

[b]Firstly, you cannot be using Jonathan's administration as a yardstick to measure GMB's performance. We expect a faster and more efficient process of running government, or is that not the CHANGE ??

Secondly, I dont agree with you on the cause of the delay, except you have first hand information personally on the hand over process, every other thing you heard was from the news and media houses which we all know can be very biased. I am not trying to exonerate the past administration. I am simply saying if you cannot substantiate your claims personally, then we cannot assume what we read from the media house is totally true and cannot thereafter infer that the delay was caused by "handover notes".

The arguement that "handover notes" caused delay is not rational. Let us assume Jonathan even refused to release his handover notes before he left, are you implying that GMB is not capable of circumventing the process to a steady plane or we wouldn't move on as a country.

The task of governance is not an easy one, it comes with its own peculiarities. No excuse is tenable from the number one citizen, especially for sensitive issues like this. GMB has all the resources he needs. It cant be business as usual.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by Nobody: 7:33am On Jun 13, 2015
Which more time, is it when my grandson start shaving beards
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by KUNZEH(m): 7:36am On Jun 13, 2015
PRYCE:
What was he doing since he was issued his certificate of return? Oh I forgot, Flying around to be and on one occasion, was left standing under the british weather for 45 mins....
walahi, ODE ni e!
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by PassingShot(m): 7:49am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:

[b]Firstly, you cannot be using Jonathan's administration as a yardstick to measure GMB's performance. We expect a faster and more efficient process of running government, or is that not the CHANGE ??
Past performances are always yardstick to measure current performances. Yes, we expect a faster and more efficient process than GEJ's and I ask you, have we gotten a slower or less efficient one? Today is his 14th day in office, so what exactly is he supposed to have achieved that he has not?

Secondly, I dont agree with you on the cause of the delay, except you have first hand information personally on the hand over process, every other thing you heard was from the news and media houses which we all know can be very biased. I am not trying to exonerate the past administration. I am simply saying if you cannot substantiate your claims personally, then we cannot assume what we read from the media house is totally true and cannot thereafter infer that the delay was caused by "handover notes".
Why won't you agree that the delay in handing over of documents is the main cause of his delay to announce some key appointments when the hand-over ceremony was televised live on NTA and Channels on May 28th? Please check Google or Channels/NTA archive. PMB later passed the hand-over notes to his TC on May 29th/30th and gave them two weeks to submit their report which was submitted yesterday after 13 days.

The arguement that "handover notes" caused delay is not rational. Let us assume Jonathan even refused to release his handover notes before he left, are you implying that GMB is not capable of circumventing the process to a steady plane or we wouldn't move on as a country.[quote]
funny of you to say delay of handover notes is not rational! A new employee in an organization will normally struggle to find his/her feet if there is no handover from the previous occupant of the position; how much more a whole new government of a country. Sure, without handover notes, the country will run eventually BUT after a protracted take-off. The take-off will be like a headless chicken struggling to stand.

[quote]The task of governance is not an easy one, it comes with its own peculiarities. No excuse is tenable from the number one citizen, especially for sensitive issues like this. GMB has all the resources he needs. It cant be business as usual.[/b]
And I ask again, what sensitive issues exactly are you talking about? Cabinet ministers? Are you seriously of the opinion that PMB has erred already? To sound it loud and clear to you, should PMB announce his cabinet by June 29th, it will be a clear one month earlier than all his predecessors (and they were all of same PDP). If he does it within next week, it will be about 6 weeks earlier.

Lastly, he does not really have to announce his ministers now (though he can if he chooses to) since the NASS that will screen them are on recess. So, why the unnecessary pressure?

Listen to Prof. Wole Soyinka:
I believe that any incoming political leader, anybody at the head of government should be given at least a little time to develop his own rhythm. I do not think it is right to impose one’s own sense of governance rhythm on anyone. This county was not coming from ground zero. This new administration is not just getting in at ground zero, but somewhere below zero. So I think, we should just give some little time for any incoming government to find its pace, decide its own priorities. I have mine, you have yours. Everybody here has his or her priorities. In fact, mine changes all the time, depending on whether electricity is flowing or it is not flowing. So let us just give the government a little time.
http://www.punchng.com/feature/interview/buhari-can-go-anywhere-he-likes-but-he-must-defeat-bharam-soyinka/
Also pay special attention to the emboldened. At least the prof should know far better than me and you.
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by AgentOfAllah: 8:24am On Jun 13, 2015
kibo:

What are you on about? The administrative head of a ministry is its PermSec, not the minister. The minister is the political envoy of the president to the ministry whose job it is to compile/communicate the political agenda of the government in power into digestible and workable technical nuggets for the civil servants to implement. Ministries will continue to run as they always have without a minister. There would be no sudden change. In fact, the sudden change will only happen after the minister has been appointed. He should take his time to do it right once and for all, rather than rush and then persist in the highly distracting annual ritual of cabinet reshuffle.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by funlord(m): 8:42am On Jun 13, 2015
makzeze:
President Muhammadu Buhari deserves a little more time to appoint his cabinet members, the chairman of his transition committee, Alhaji Ahmed Joda, has said.
Joda said this in an interview with State House journalists yesterday after submitting to Buhari, an 800-page report of the memoranda and presentations its committee received from across the country.
He explained that transfer of power from one political party to another as recently witnessed Nigeria requires a long process.
According to him, this is part of the evolution of democracy, and that Nigerians have to be a bit more patient as such evolution cannot be with immediate effect
He noted that political appointment was entirely the president’s prerogative, saying Buhari would go through the committee’s report and understand its recommendation.
On the insinuation that the submission of the report delayed political appointments, Joda said one of the terms of reference of his committee was to get the handover notes from former president Goodluck Jonathan, but that the committee did not receive it until weeks after its inauguration.
“For about five weeks, we went through memorandum, listening to presentations from all over this country. Today (yesterday), we submitted about 800 pages of the report to Mr President. It’s now his property and I believe in due course, he’ll begin to act on it,” Joda said.
“I think he (Buhari) deserves a little bit more time. This is not an ordinary transfer of government from one president to the other. In this country, we’ve never witnessed this kind of transition from one political party to another; the political party in opposition won the election,” the super federal permanent secretary stated.
“Previous transitions from one president to the other did not require long process like this. I think this is part of the evolution of democracy. The country has to be a little bit more patient, it cannot be with immediate effect,” he said.

grin
makzeze:

Old and geriatric excuses! Men time no dey naija dey run! Work smarter not harder! Do that by empowering the youth mr joda!
Re: Buhari Needs More Time To Appoint Cabinet - Ahmed Joda by Nobody: 9:00am On Jun 13, 2015
Finding a permanent fix to issue in the country is what we asked for.

PMB should take his time to appoint credible men.

(1) (Reply)

NAFDAC: Methanol, Not Yoruba Man, Responsible For 71 ‘ogogoro’ Deaths In Rivers / Benue : Ortom's One Month As Governor / When Will 1naira Hit 1 Dollar?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.