Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,472 members, 7,781,372 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:23 PM

How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! (31656 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Why Doesn't God Audibly Tell People Not To Do Certain Things? / I Am Now Thinking Like An ATHEIST. Help!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by macof(m): 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2015
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by macof(m): 4:00pm On Jun 14, 2015
ronald4lif:

I don't know who he/she is neither do I know what you're talking about.

A nairalander making research and collating proof for the efficiency of juju
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by sniper77(m): 4:04pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:
I am surrounded by christiañs and Muslims, although i don't care about their religion, but what disconforts me is that i feel scared to tell anyone I am an atheist and they see it as awkward when i tell them I dont go to church and i am a christian undecided The fact I dint go to church , I know how some of them act, how will they act if I tell them i don't believe in God, in nigeria do people stigmatize atheists the way they stigmatize sickle cell oatients and HIV patients?

Pls help me. I don't know what to do. And I can't go to church, I sleep off very easily in any church , cos what they say doesn't make a grain of sense to me.

Its quite simple.What people feel about you should not bother you.Nigeria is a secular country and we all have the right to hold on to our beliefs.
Your belief makes you a brand and you need not be afraid.
The easiest way to explain to people about your status as an atheist is to approach media com,optimum exposures or S.O & U Saatchi & Saatchi.
They are advertising agencies that have vacant billboards all over Nigeria.These agencies will pass the message across on your behalf with your picture on their billboards with a mind blowing advert.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by streetzdreamz(m): 4:07pm On Jun 14, 2015
Religion really isn't a disease,humans really are,Islam,traditionalist's,Christians,atheists and the likes!!!!!!u choose what you wanna believe in and stick to it,u owe no one an explanation neither should u shove ur believes down pples throats,am a christian but with the mindset of an atheist,d main reason I ain't one is cuz I beleive a creator is out there,ma views about life is way different,seems the op is just a kid with no vast view about life,u sleeping off in church,lack of a sound motivation to serve God doesnt make u an atheist,but if u think u are then whats the essence of this thread?shove ur believe down ur ass and give pple a breather,be it christians,muslims,atheists or whatever religion u believe in,its ur damn choice and y"al need to learn ao to bottle up ur opinion n beleives,this silly attitude of ma believe is superior to yours is the cause of d religious wars and backwardness out there!And yes there is a GOD out there!
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by ronald4lif(m): 4:08pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

A nairalander making research and collating proof for the efficiency of juju

Ok. It'll be interesting to keep tab with his findings after he's done with the research.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by OversightTM(m): 4:10pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

Mr man. There's nothing like "I woke up this morning na god win"
You woke up by ur own power. ..no god involved

It's very simple really, I don't know why people disturb others wit their God
God still loves you...
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 14, 2015
mencade5:
mosques and churches are full of hypocrites.

U claim u have ur god yet many of you still go up and down using our traditional powers of charms and juju.

Yes....i am referring to u muslims and christians
yes! I admit and testify that some unfaithful futilized christians seek empowerment from other obnoxious and paradoxical sources!
But, you forgot that there must be presciented reprobates present amongst any congregation.
Even king Saul consulted with the spirits of the dead via the aid of a seer in the Bible.
The perception is: there are always geniue and contrary christains in any dispensation.

Elucidate and decipher God's Word properly and you will be delighted and astonished by God's progidious, awesome, omni and miscellanous deeds.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Jasperwhizz(m): 4:24pm On Jun 14, 2015
A madman say there is no GOD.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 14, 2015
freecocoa:
Lol, i've been open about it on here na, I guess you all are surprised because people see atheists/free thinkers as bad people, I probably have proven such thought to be wrong.grin

That's because I remember when u created a thread asking for a meaningful conversations with atheist, I remember telling you that if you continue with what you are doing that you would lose your faith just like I did, now you see that I was right. I don't know if you remember , but your reply was like I shouldn't worry that you can never stop believing, I was just laughing, that was what I was thinking before that I can never lose my belief, now you have joined the train. Now this is just funny. cheesy cheesy
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Harvard13(m): 4:32pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:
I am surrounded by christiañs and Muslims, although i don't care about their religion, but what disconforts me is that i feel scared to tell anyone I am an atheist and they see it as awkward when i tell them I dont go to church and i am a christian undecided The fact I dint go to church , I know how some of them act, how will they act if I tell them i don't believe in God, in nigeria do people stigmatize atheists the way they stigmatize sickle cell oatients and HIV patients?

Pls help me. I don't know what to do. And I can't go to church, I sleep off very easily in any church , cos what they say doesn't make a grain of sense to me.
on a normal normal level, pple would mainly laff it off especially if ure a plain guy not a street nigga. but are u sure its not a spirit that us making u not grab what is being said in church. its hard to be an atheist tho
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
oba009:

if I may ask, how did you wake up and see your self as atheist and you are born to a Christian family ? Explain this and we can more on from here

Someone just gave me a hot slap from my dream of me fvcking god's butt , I jumped up to release I was fvcking nothing , that's how I knew god's butt doesn't exist.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by SkinnyDude(m): 4:47pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

So that they won't be chipping in God in our every conversation, its just annoying when I ask someone a simple question(how is school?) and he/she says "we thank God". Is that how to answer a question?

Or I ask them how do they make themselves study without relenting they will say " its all about God, that nits not their power". What rubbish, of what use are those nonsense replies to me, they now use God to cover up lots of information, just say its God and u don't have to say anything else, that's their style now. angry
it Is None Of Your Business. You Cant Force People To Say What You Like Or Whatever. Live Your Life And Stop Criticizing Them. Respect Their Belief, And They Wil Respect Yours.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 14, 2015
traware:
Young lady,you use terms with complexities you don't understand.'Superiority complex' is a fallout of an 'inferiority complex' which seems to be a feature many Nairaland atheists lack.From my personal observation,the majority of Nairaland atheists are confident in their superior intellect which comes across as 'arrogance' and 'superiority complex' to the undiscerning eye.I say more power to them

I see your point but I don't understand why someone would claim to be an atheist and then create 10+ topics and 500+ posts on religion. It screams attention-seeking to me undecided
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 14, 2015
SPAGGYYY:
u nailed urself here bro...if ur parents are sponsoring ur education and d money dey use is from God, and u don't belive in dis God, why don't u just tell ur parents and walk away...and let ur atheism sponsor ur education

And who told you god gave them their money? Why is god not magnanimous enough to billions of his followers that live in abject poverty? Under the law of this country, the boy has a right to an education from them.

3 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by tushburg(m): 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2015
Guy go and sit down, your topic is suspicious. You are just an attention seeker.

Go to west Germany angry
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

To me I would tell you to be careful with those you tell in this country. Some people are demons with fine face. We just hear people die in the news, and our ever clueless policemen would say they are looking into the matter. You should only discuss with theists with open mind. That way, you are somewhat secured. Always protect your rear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by aydgov: 5:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
Open ur hears widely open if u care 2 know THERE IS GOD
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Idrismusty97(m): 5:38pm On Jun 14, 2015
kevoh:
The fact that you still depend 100% on your parents for food,accomodation and education is going to make your coming out as Atheist a very difficult one in a country like Nigeria.Trust me, you don't want to be the ostracized one.

But is it really necessary to announce you are atheist? Stick to raising logical arguments only with religious folks, don't go telling every one you are atheist, trust me, these religious folks are the worst sets. They will seek to harm you just to prove there is a dog god.

Till you get a job and become fully independent, just play along. It takes nothing to sit in a boring church service for 2 to 3hrs tongue Infact use that opportunity, to socialize and build your network contacts for the future. You need others (Christian/Muslim/ATR/Budhists) the way they need you too. That person responsible for your job or next 100 million naira contract might just be an old friend you made in that religious institution, you definitely don't want to jeopardize that opportunity by distancing yourself from others because of your personal convictions. Common sense is necessary my brother. Play safe where necessary!

The bolded is just one of the few benefits of religion... Probably because we are in a religious society where 99.99% believe in a sky daddy. You don't have to rubbed you atheism views on others, Just play along and discuss it with only logical people. You never know who can be useful to you in future, you don't wanna pissed them off with your atheism ideology. Nigerians takes religion very seriously....

4 Likes

Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Solo8(m): 6:12pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

You should ask and discuss this topic in this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1412636/non-christian-chatbox-sticky/64

Trying to get an answer from people that don't understand your question is just a waste of your time. That's if you sincerely want an answer.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by stigman(m): 6:26pm On Jun 14, 2015
macof:

grin grin only in fictional movies of low quality

That you are alive today you think its the rice and beans you ate, where did human being originate from? Where do your soul go to when you are asleep? Do u believe that there is devil and demons?, the magicians you believe in where did their power come from? Why do people get healed at the mention of the name jesus, how come the things written in bible are happening everyday,
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:
same here with me
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Okuda(m): 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2015
KashyBaby:
I believe in respect....
He doesnt believe in ur God, therefore u cant force him to change his view...
He already clarify tat he does not like going to church unlike u...so why try convincing him to wat u believe in instead juz RESPECT wat he like to do, abi??

No. There is nothing in disrespecting other people's view when you try to convince them about their beliefs. If your logics are stronger and outweigh his and he accepts it, then you have one more individual in your fold. Disrespect is when you castigate him for being who or what he is...
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by freecocoa(f): 7:17pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

That's because I remember when u created a thread asking for a meaningful conversations with atheist, I remember telling you that if you continue with what you are doing that you would lose your faith just like I did, now you see that I was right. I don't know if you remember , but your reply was like I shouldn't worry that you can never stop believing, I was just laughing, that was what I was thinking before that I can never lose my belief, now you have joined the train. Now this is just funny. cheesy cheesy
Are you sure that was me? grin
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jun 14, 2015
InvertedHammer:

A·the·ist : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Reading the highlighted portion above, I can see that you are confused. How can you be a christian and an atheist?

Exactly, how can I? Because you are daft not to understand simple English. I tell them means I mean it right?
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by ibkgab001: 7:36pm On Jun 14, 2015
Be doing eye Service and be saying follow follow .. I dine and wine with God every moment of my life because I praise him all the time somebody shout hallelujah
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by finamaris(f): 7:52pm On Jun 14, 2015
Well just going through your post , you really caught my attention by it, but if I may ask what do you believe in cos dere is a sayinng dat what you believe works for you. I can tall u dat am a full christian a strong one at dat and believe me it has always worked for me and as a matter of fact it has become my weapon of success so wat do u belive in ? What works for you ?dere must be something or do u believe in yourself I know u r among those that believe in there selves.

From your post it is very clear that you come from a christian foundation and you r still a student yet u accept money from a christian (parent) if u really believe in yourself then u should'nt take any assistance from a christian b it your father or mother cos dat person caring for you is doing dat base one the commandment and teachings from the Holy bible which you call story book so mr I believe IN MYSELF I believe you are above 18 so you should start working out for yourself , then you can confidently open your mouth in public and tell someone that is by your making and power so for now I will advice you shut up
Dekatron:
Dapo777,see,your situation kinda like mine:I AM A STUDENT & MY PARENTS ARE SOOO RELIGIOUS.

Now,listen every body : menesheh,alfaseltzer et al:

Last week Wednesday,between 9-12 am,i was in the lecture theater(actually,lecture was slated for 10,but since i slept in the school-- doing some things on my just purchased laptop, i got there before 7.

Now, a nigga sat beside me.... We started from something(cant remember) and then to room mate issh. I told him: I LOVE BEING THE RULE MAKER OF MYSELF. I HATE GETTING TO MY ROOM & START GETTING QUERIED BY ONE BOY THAT IS MY ROOM MATE. I naturally dont like sharing room,not to talk of a stranger. So, i told him : i live alone OFF CAMPUS.

[b]Later, he asked : 'so how is your relationship with God?'. I knew who he was and where he was going. I was happy because finally,i can test all the online arguments on A STRANGER. I told him verbatim : 'Me and GOD,We are cool. He does his & i do mine. We are not fighting & i laughed heartily. He started saying lubbish. Lol... I just sat and listened. My turn :
'YOU SEE, AS YOU SEE ME, I PREFER TO MEDITATE THAN TO PRAY(Meditate : think of positive thingz and relate them to my goals in life. Not Meditating as in _________). I continued : since u asked where we go after death, am telling u, WE GO NOWHERE. you die, you die, you decompose. If there were somewhere we go when we die, how did u know? How many senses do u have? I told him : Listen, in this lecture theater, do u believe ghosts are here that we can't see them, he said No. 'Therefore,we go nowhere'. He asked: why do we die then? I told him : 'IN MY OPINION, WE DIE BECAUSE OF IRREPARABLE ACCIDENT TO THE BODY and DUE TO WEAKENESS OF CELLS(consequently,tissues thus organs). I read years ago(true)about the research of a professor of microbiology that says : JUST LIKE A FIREPLACE,THE MORE YOU BURN WOOD, THE DARKER THE PLACE. THE MORE U USE WET WOODS, THE MORE THE SMOKE. Implies that : The more you CONSUME CARBOHYDRATES,THE WEAKER YOUR MITOCHONDRIA WEAKENS. THE MORE BAD FOOD(WET WOOD)YOU BURN, THE HIGHER THE RATE OF MAXIMUM DAMAGE.Therefore, we die because we probably had an accident that couldn't be treated/reversed by doctors or our cell weakens'[/b]

guys, believe me, THIS GUY FREED ME O. He couldnt bear the logical and provable proof that he had to just let me be. Dapo, let them attack you, just let them know your stand POLITELY. You dont have to flaunt : AM AN ATHEIST infront of every Tom, Dick and Harry. Just be tolerant. Since you don't believe in it & u dont want to be attacked, just shake it off, unless they confront you.

If i switch on my CHRISTIAN MODE : YOUT WONT BELIEVE AM AN ATHEIST. Just dnt sweat it and be careful. When i have sometin to do & they push religion to my face : I BEHAVE LIKE A PASTOR. I NOD MY HEAD AND HELP THEM QUOTE THEIR STORY BOOK CALLED BIBLE.

Peace
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by dolapo74: 7:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
Good evening,I know how you feel.You see, in this world we live in I have discovered faith and logic are like two parallel line they will never meet or concur but I am very sure that in your lifetime you want to be recognized and respected where ever you go.Logic alone will make you a ''professor'', people will stigmatise you, some people will even call you a devil worshipper, it may even cause you depression and I am very sure you don't want this for yourself and also having faith alone will make you a dogmatic person, a person who has a good surface brain but can't use it to think, I person who can't contribute to the real word, a man who can't use his brain to bless man kind. Having the both boom, you have everything in the world Dapo.
And on the matter that church activities don't make any element of sense to you. Why don't you decide in your heart that I want to learn new thing,I want to know how other mankind feel about this world we all live in ,i will like you to prepare you mind to learn the new topic in algebra or the new metabolic pathway for the next lecture. I have encountered so many atheist in my life, what I discovered about them is that they say they don't believe in God but they are. not ready to here what you have to say,it is so bad that saying other thing apart from having faith once you picking you word from the Bible they lose interest. I am Christian but I know the value of knowledge. I know that value of new things, I go to Muslim public lectures, I am in love with adventure book,when I am true with the semester I attend distance learning philosophy classes. Dapo you don't need to believe in God to go to church as I am not a Muslim and I do attend Muslim public lectures. You just find a good church and attend. I tell you there is much more enlightenment and exposure you get in church apart from the worship, you just go with a recipient mind.
As too if there is God or not, if there is the World Maker or not. let me give you this analogy.You are a tourist from Europe or let exagerate from another planet and you see this big building called central bank of Nigeria your logic will tell you there is a builder,this analogous to this world we are in,to the effect of of this there is builder who must be very great mighty power self sufficient supreme builder that built this magnificent structure called World.
About stigma,I will never stigmatize any Atheist I know,I will never stigmatize or contend with them I will rather love them and continue to pray for them. So Dapo I will never stigmatize you for know reason because I love really. Thanks
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by InvertedHammer: 8:04pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

Dapo777:

Exactly, how can I? Because you are daft not to understand simple English. I tell them means I mean it right?
/

By the way, this your piece of crap was not written in simple English.

I think you need God more. If not for anything, to give you wisdom. If after years in school this is how best you can communicate your problem(s), then you sure do need miracles in your brain.

\
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by UyiIredia(m): 8:09pm On Jun 14, 2015
Dapo777:

My parents are still sponsoring my education, that's why. I dont want them to find out cos they are like fanatics to me.

You better not tell people about your atheism, your parents might hear about it and that can cause problems for you at home. You lucky say you no dey Middle East, person for track you using your IP address and you'd be in serious trouble.
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 14, 2015
GoodMuyis:

The quoted is where your problem lies. why do you cares about what they believed, the way you feel irritated by them mentioning God is the same way people will feel if you tell them you a product of algae.

If you feel someone help you out in one way wont you be grateful?

To answer your Question Just keep your belief to yourself because people wll sorry for you and will try to preach to you, to prevent that keep quiet till you DIE of CHANGE one of this days. Hope you are checking your BP regularly because you will have to argue all day to prove your point of God nonexistence.

And hope you are going for regular mental check up, to ensue Ur madness doesn't run out of hand. grin cheesy
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2015
ONUTOPSY:
I think, the most important thing you need in your LIFE right now is JESUS. NOTE!!!!! NO MATTER HOW RICH YOU ARE, HOW SMART YOU ARE, HOW POPULAR YOU ARE WITHOUT JESUS IN YOUR LIFE, YOU ARE THE MOST MISERABLE THING ON EARTH. HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF ETERNITY? YOUR DESTINATION WHEN YOU DIE. WHY ARE U ALLOWING DEVIL TO DECEIVE YOU. YOU ARE WONDERFULLY MADE BY GOD, THE CREATOR OF THE WHOLE UNIVERSE. DONT SELL YOUR SOUL TO DEVIL, BE WARNED!!!!!!!

OK Jesus that white guy with long roman nose, blue eyes, blonde long hair, pink lips and wearing white apparels. That's the guy I need? So what is he gonna do? Will he make me get first class? Will he make my name appear on Forbes? Will he make me win noble price in medicine? shocked grin
Re: How Do I Tell People I Am An Atheist? Help! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2015
chiefolododo:
dapo, i pity your condition and i know what caused it ; probably you lost someone so dear to you or you asked something from the lord and you didnt receive answer . BUT GOD EXIST AND YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT JESUS AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR ,He is faithful to them that are faithful to him besides you will stand b4 him one day and give account of what you have done in the flesh . shalom!

Omg you got me!!! cry I lost someone so dear to me, so I believe a sky daddy killed her, that means sky daddy doesn't exist undecided cry because only a non existence sky daddy can kill someone so dear to me !!! Eureka!!! Perfect logic!!!! Yes I also asked sky daddy to make me not to gain admission into the university so as to prove to me that he exist, fortunately sky daddy couldn't stop me from gaining admission, now I am begging sky daddy to prove to me he exist by making sure I don't get first class, let's see how well sky daddy would prove his existence as he did during Elisha's god vs Baal . kiss

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

DSS Invites Apostle Suleman Over Unguided Rant / The Gift I Received That Changed My Life Forever / Pastor Adeboye Arrives Uyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.