Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,764 members, 7,806,092 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:19 AM

Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles (21676 Views)

Ugandan Pastor Burns Thousands Of Bibles For Misleading His Members (Photos) / Burning Shrines, Eating Bibles, Killing Christians And Other Issues - Opinion / NOAH: This Information Will Make Smart People Throw Their Bibles Away! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by nedu2000(m): 6:35pm On Jun 14, 2015
lilwill:
The OP's idea is good natured but silly. The first Christians did not even have Bibles but they still cast out demons. Even the King James Bibles is just less than 500 yrs old. so what did those christians use then, scrolls?

Ridiculous people wif their ridiculous post... SMH

just like one mumu was saying that KJV is the only acceptable transmission of the Bible.

Shoro niyen?
na me and my post u dey call ridiculous?make I catch u 1st grin.Try and lay emphasis of passing ur point across without blasting anyone opposed to you.
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by 2kurupt(m): 8:19pm On Jun 14, 2015
brize:
maybe because am not God i should not think also abi

Don't be a hypocrite. So if people don't behave the way you think then automatically they should be condemned to hell. I ask again, are you God?
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by atoleybaba(m): 8:56pm On Jun 14, 2015
mifavour:

My friend keep quiet! No dey talk nonsense
Lol if u call what I typed nonsense what will u call what u av written? Over sabi people that is why all thiis fake pastor will keep extorting you cause you guys av been blinded
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2015
esiri4jesu:

Next time put off your data connection

No!
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by brize(m): 10:43pm On Jun 14, 2015
2kurupt:

Don't be a hypocrite. So if people don't behave the way you think then automatically they should be condemned to hell. I ask again, are you God?
what did you take(ogogoro or weed??) because i never said anything like that or is your conscience judging you already?? I only pointed out what i felt is wrong happening in our church of today and i never wished or condemned anybody to hell, you are only trying to make it look like i said so, but thank God the post is still there... Revisit it......... I said (ONLY GOD CAN SAVE AND JUDGE US ALL) my dear its only God and not me
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by ArcToyin(m): 11:22pm On Jun 14, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

Rubbish
yes, to minors
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by ArcToyin(m): 11:24pm On Jun 14, 2015
kevoh:
Stop encouraging Deforestation angry . Trees are cut down and used to make paper that make up the pages of Bibles/Qurans/Religious tracts.

is that a talk? So textbook too should not be produced abi?
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by ibadanchap: 3:42am On Jun 15, 2015
nedu2000:
Reasons why sincere Christians should take the book known as the bible to church not a smartphone

1) Holding a bible shows one to be a Christian in public,it acts as an 'identity card' for every Christian. Ipads,smartphones does no such thing

2)Civilisation/technology has given us world where homosexuality is gradually being accepted,female reverends and gender changes all in contrast to biblical pronouncements. The church shouldn't follow the ways of this present world so closely

3)Christians lose the essence of the bible like the order of biblical books(after genesis is exodus.....3rd John then revelations) as a simple google search provides answer in comparison to scrolling round the bible and get fully acquitted with it

4) Ipads,smartphone substitutes acts as sources of distraction in churches with calls,pings,alerts and 'nairalanding' available at one's beck/call.

5) Ipads,smartphones serve one primary aim to most holders,showoff

6) 'battery low'

1) No sir. The Bible is not an ID card for a christian. Jesus said "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35. Also again in John 15: 7-8, He says "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. And of course Gal. 5:22 expands on the fruits (the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.) Note my bold that says "my words remain in you", not in characters and alphabets on the physical pages of the bible or an e-device

2) As many posters pointed out, civilization/technology gave us the bible in printed form. So this point is not a valid reason not to use an electronic bible

3) The devil did quote the scriptures to Jesus. Know the order of the books has no bearing to you being a disciple of Jesus. Joshua 1:8 says "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it." The most important thing for a christian is to be able to meditate on the words of the bible, and thus keep them in our heart so it can guide us at all times. The medium the words are on is really of no importance.

4) Interestingly I see so many carry the book bible who are nevertheless distracted by their phones, friends etc in the church. I always have my ipad in airplane mode in the church

5) I am sure that there are some people who are not showing off their devices just as there are some people who carry the Bible just to show off being a "christian"

6) I always make sure my ipad is charged for Church, and if not I carry a physical bible.

As for those who mention that when the devil come in the night, can you point your phone at the devil, I dont think the bible itself is a gun or weapon, but knowing the words in the scriptures in your heart gives you a powerful weapon. "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony" Rev. 12:11

1 Like

Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by ugoezeik(m): 5:18am On Jun 15, 2015
kevoh:
Stop encouraging Deforestation angry . Trees are cut down and used to make paper that make up the pages of Bibles/Qurans/Religious tracts.

who let dis one out of quarantine center
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by Justiceotuya(m): 7:06am On Jun 15, 2015
Although i dont support carrying phone as bible to church lets just say its as a result of modernization. Because following the OP's point we would have been carrying scrolls and stone commandment to church as this was the original scriptures
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by Brainzcoded(m): 8:28am On Jun 15, 2015
Lol funny both are gud but on different aspect
U can't buy all version of bible but u can av all version on ur SMART PHONE but bible should be d one to always be taken to church phone are to be use for studing of bible by reading so many vers for understanding
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by nedu2000(m): 8:41am On Jun 15, 2015
ibadanchap:

1) No sir. The Bible is not an ID card for a christian. Jesus said "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35. Also again in John 15: 7-8, He says "If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. And of course Gal. 5:22 expands on the fruits (the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.) Note my bold that says "my words remain in you", not in characters and alphabets on the physical pages of the bible or an e-device

2) As many posters pointed out, civilization/technology gave us the bible in printed form. So this point is not a valid reason not to use an electronic bible

3) The devil did quote the scriptures to Jesus. Know the order of the books has no bearing to you being a disciple of Jesus. Joshua 1:8 says "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it." The most important thing for a christian is to be able to meditate on the words of the bible, and thus keep them in our heart so it can guide us at all times. The medium the words are on is really of no importance.

4) Interestingly I see so many carry the book bible who are nevertheless distracted by their phones, friends etc in the church. I always have my ipad in airplane mode in the church

5) I am sure that there are some people who are not showing off their devices just as there are some people who carry the Bible just to show off being a "christian"

6) I always make sure my ipad is charged for Church, and if not I carry a physical bible.

As for those who mention that when the devil come in the night, can you point your phone at the devil, I dont think the bible itself is a gun or weapon, but knowing the words in the scriptures in your heart gives you a powerful weapon. "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony" Rev. 12:11
bros,its because you are spiritually strong but like reference given to eating food offered to idols the weak mayn't be able to cope {1st cor 8:9 "Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols?" } so I believe for that reason at least we keep it simple
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by Timmyspy(m): 11:20am On Jun 15, 2015
Maybe you didn't know there was a time when scrolls were used. That's several scrolls for the entire Bible. Then the codex came... now we've got books. So time would Come when hard copy books would be rare.
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by simdam500(m): 11:59am On Jun 17, 2015
Regardless of innovation and technology, I prefer my holy book
Re: Why Smartphones Are No Substitute For Bibles by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 17, 2015
nedu2000:
Reasons why sincere Christians should take the book known as the bible to church not a smartphone

1) Holding a bible shows one to be a Christian in public,it acts as an 'identity card' for every Christian. Ipads,smartphones does no such thing

2)Civilisation/technology has given us world where homosexuality is gradually being accepted,female reverends and gender changes all in contrast to biblical pronouncements. The church shouldn't follow the ways of this present world so closely

3)Christians lose the essence of the bible like the order of biblical books(after genesis is exodus.....3rd John then revelations) as a simple google search provides answer in comparison to scrolling round the bible and get fully acquitted with it

4) Ipads,smartphone substitutes acts as sources of distraction in churches with calls,pings,alerts and 'nairalanding' available at one's beck/call.

5) Ipads,smartphones serve one primary aim to most holders,showoff

6) 'battery low'

Your concerns are in other. We should be careful so that we don't get distracted on spiritual ocassions. Smart devices can bring such distractions.

True, having a bible might serve as an identity of the kind of belief u have. However, our works should speak for us than a book. And neither is the use of electronic device as a substitute for hard copy bible a sin.

While some of ur points are in order, we shouldn't be incensed at other people's preference. Rom 14:2-4

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Share The Experience Of Your Salvation Here. / CAN Criticises Churches For Inviting Nollywood Celebrities, Musicians & Comedian / The New Testament Prophets Defined.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.