Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,593 members, 7,801,697 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria (6033 Views)

POE For Child Delivery / Urban Renewal In Nigeria: Development Of States And Capitals / Renewal Of International Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by Golovic: 1:15am On Jun 15, 2015
Please house, can anyone advice, based on experience / information on how to RENEW American passport for child (minor <16yrs old) in Nigeria?
Is it easy (wrt the process) to do it here in 9ja.
I have 'googled it' and know the requirements, but just want to know if it can be done easily in 9ja.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by 19naia(m): 2:08am On Jun 15, 2015
Yes. If you have the old passport in hand, then schedule for a renewal with the consulate loacation of your choice.. Its easiest to renew an old one that is in hand... Getting a new one without an old one in hand, is harder but still easy if you have the birth certificate and any other citizenship supporting documents...
You will pay fees though, similar to those for visa applicants..

1 Like

Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by Golovic: 4:40am On Jun 15, 2015
Thanks @ 19naia. Will I (parent) be interviewed? Asked to bring family photos, proof to show I'm taking good care of the child etc (Some 'tales' I have heard).
The old passport and birth cert are very handy.

1 Like

Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 5:11am On Jun 15, 2015
The info should be on the US embassy website.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 5:14am On Jun 15, 2015
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 5:14am On Jun 15, 2015
Golovic:
Please house, can anyone advice, based on experience / information on how to RENEW American passport for child (minor <16yrs old) in Nigeria?
I have 'googled it' and know the requirements, but just want to know if it can be done easily in 9ja.

US embassy website, not google.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by Golovic: 7:22am On Jun 15, 2015
Thanks tpia. I have visited the site and saw the section on the progress photographs. I think I'm ok with the info I have right now.
Just 4 me 2 make up my mind.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by 19naia(m): 1:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
Golovic:
Thanks @ 19naia. Will I (parent) be interviewed? Asked to bring family photos, proof to show I'm taking good care of the child etc (Some 'tales' I have heard).
The old passport and birth cert are very handy.

If your child does not look abused or malnourished or does not tell them horror stories, then i doubt anything will be of concern to them, and any questioning will go smoothly..
Of course bring ID for yourself to show you are the parent or legal guardian.. If your name is on the child's birth certificate, then your regular national ID or passport will be enough to match your name to a picture ID... My parents names are on my birthcertificate..

I still remember way back long ago when i was 16 ,my father took me to the embassy in Lagos and used my expired passport to gain entry..That was enough ,and of course all questioning was directed to him other than to ask me if he was my father..His own ID and passport was enough to prove that to them... I didint even have to go in for the processing and i even looked sickly at the time from too much malaria and low food from extensive unpaid father's salary.. 16 is still considered a child in US while 16 is a mark of adulthood in Nigeria . unless they changed it for Nigerian youth?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 2:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
do you have a picture of when you were 16 that you wouldn't mind posting here?
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by 19naia(m): 4:22pm On Jun 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:
do you have a picture of when you were 16 that you wouldn't mind posting here?

No, but my sister has one of me with the look of the devil in my eyes when i was 14 or maybe 15.. I had just started recovering from the worst bout of malaria i ever had, i thought i would die and heard and saw spirits whispering around my bed when i was at my worst..
Any way ,my sister shows up with a camera and calloused remarks about how bad i looked and she took a photo..
We were so broke back then that photos were a luxury...

All my picture stashes from before the days of smart phones and tablets, they are mostly ruined or lost...
Here are a few picture of me when i was around 3 years old with my older sister and grandfather, another when i was 4 or 5, and one when i was 19 serving in the US Army.. I got these from other friends and family who cared well for the photos and converted them to digital files..

Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 4:26pm On Jun 15, 2015
19naia:

We were so broke back then that photos were a luxury...

All my picture stashes from before the days of smart phones and tablets, they are mostly ruined or lost...

the reason i made the request is because you already have a lot of pictures here, so a few more shouldn't be considered unusual.

All the photos you posted are not from your time in Nigeria, you don't have any at all from when you were there?

However, i agree things can be very difficult back home.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by 19naia(m): 5:48pm On Jun 15, 2015
tpiadotcom:

the reason i made the request is because you already have a lot of pictures here, so a few more shouldn't be considered unusual.

All the photos you posted are not from your time in Nigeria, you don't have any at all from when you were there?

However, i agree things can be very difficult back home.

Thats how it was for us in Nigeria way back, nothing for us above and beyond basic survival until we fled there.. It amazed me we even found the means to buy tickets to commot there while eating garri and beans as the main course daily..
I dont mind returning to nigeria, but only because my livelyhood is tied to the US economy now and not Nigeria's... I would try to stay Nigeria for extended stays of even months, but not to plant roots and live there for years on end..
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by tpiadotcom: 7:20am On Jun 19, 2015
yes, that would be hard.

its easy to leave nigeria but very difficult to return to nigeria.
Re: Renewal Of US Passport For Child In Nigeria by PleasureShop: 10:27am On Jun 23, 2015
Golovic:

Don't know about a child but my wife was able to renew her own at Walter Carrington... You need to book an appointment online, send them a mail... Its easy... You will drop and make payment, around 30knaira and the come back later for collection... I think you will have to go with the passport owner

(1) (Reply)

Are There Any Nigerians In Portugal? / Please Help me With This Travel Route!!! / Am Moving To Senegal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.