Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,601 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:07 PM

Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines (12001 Views)

Nigeria To Reduce Sulphur Content In Petrol, Diesel And Kerosene Effective July / LASG Unveils Buses That Will Replace Danfo Buses - AjayiWrites.com / Innoson Motors Vehicles Used As Shuttle Buses In Enugu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 9:19am On Jun 15, 2015
I have a VW LT 28 Diesel engine with turbo, have been searching for a thread /forum of people using the same range of bus,pls lets this issues on these buses here. Thanks

Currently am battling with low acceleration problem, have changed d filters, still same, i later learnt its d injectors.I wil fix dat today
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 15, 2015
Does your Volkswagen LT have a year? What's the engine size??
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by eherbal(m): 12:12am On Jun 16, 2015
i drive the lt 28 diesel. had the turbo removed .to maintain your turbo engine,let it idle for 1 min before switching off the engine. let it run for 3mins in the mornings before driving off.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 6:43am On Jun 16, 2015
Siena:
Does your Volkswagen LT have a year? What's the engine size??
Pls what do u mean by a year?
About the engine size, are u refering to the physical size or what?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 6:46am On Jun 16, 2015
eherbal:
i drive the lt 28 diesel. had the turbo removed .to maintain your turbo engine,let it idle for 1 min before switching off the engine. let it run for 3mins in the mornings before driving off.
Pls do you mean its the turbo thats affecting it?
I changed d injector yesterday, this morning it showed d same fault! what else can i do?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 16, 2015
emperoracro:

What year was your VW LT manufactured?

As for engine size, I'm not asking you to grab a tape measure to get dimensions. I'm referring to the engine capacity. Surely, you must know what that is.

3 Likes

Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by edward1984(m): 7:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
emperoracro:

Year the vehicle was manufactured.. e.g 1991 model ,, 1996 ,, 1997,, 0r 2000 model

for the engine size ... 1.8 ,, 1.9 ,, 2.2,, 2.4 ..
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by oktawian(m): 12:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
It can be a lt from 1995 year model with 2.5 turbo diesel engine.

to make sure past the picture of the car.

It's a 2nd generation of vw lt

Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 1:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
This is d bus

Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 19, 2015
emperoracro:
This is d bus

Engine size, please. That tells tons more than a picture of a bus' exterior.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by oktawian(m): 2:28pm On Jul 19, 2015
If it's TD engine. it wil be one of these :

R6 2.4 TD 92 KM
R6 2.4 TD 102 KM
R6 2.4 TDIC 95 KM
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 11:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
It should be
2.4 L D24T turbo I6 (1983-1992) (Diesel engine)

Currently its burning engine oil excessively, my mechanical advised me to ring the engine,i want to b sure before doin that. pls wat is your advice?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by oktawian(m): 10:07pm On Jul 20, 2015
First check the engine compression ...
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 7:50am On Jul 21, 2015
oktawian:
First check the engine compression ...
Pls how do i do that, am new in all dis vehicle issues
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by eherbal(m): 7:57am On Jul 21, 2015
emperoracro:
It should be
2.4 L D24T turbo I6 (1983-1992) (Diesel engine)

Currently its burning engine oil excessively, my mechanical advised me to ring the engine,i want to b sure before doin that. pls wat is your advice?
if it's burning excess oil. What color of smoke is coming out from the exhaust?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 8:51am On Jul 21, 2015
eherbal:
if it's burning excess oil. What color of smoke is coming out from the exhaust?
Wen u first start d engine, it brings out a thick black smoke, wen u throttle hard, it turns whitish
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by eherbal(m): 10:10am On Jul 21, 2015
emperoracro:

Wen u first start d engine, it brings out a thick black smoke, wen u throttle hard, it turns whitish
Sorry bro. Im very sorry to say this, but you need to replace the engine. sad
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 10:36am On Jul 21, 2015
eherbal:
Sorry bro. Im very sorry to say this, but you need to replace the engine. sad
I know, but wat cud b d cause of this?
Am thinking of ringing it first, den use it for awhile bfor changing it, wat do u think
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by eherbal(m): 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2015
emperoracro:

I know, but wat cud b d cause of this?
Am thinking of ringing it first, den use it for awhile bfor changing it, wat do u think
not a Bad idea if The gasket and rings used are original. anything short of that will see you going back to the mechanic village. I learnt a very bitter lesson from my mechanic. I advice you buy the gasket and rings yourself. MAKE SURE YOU'RE THERE WHEN THE PARTS ARE BEING FIXED PLSSSS.
Another thing? are you the one driving the truck yourself? I see it's a commercial one. it looks very neat.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by oktawian(m): 9:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
kazeem alert cheesy

Even if you will change the engine , what if this new engine will be in the same condition ?

Think, You want to change it even when you dont know how to check compression ?

Find some one who knows how to deal with the engines not kazeem.

Regards Oktawian
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 7:49am On Jul 23, 2015
oktawian:
kazeem alert cheesy

Even if you will change the engine , what if this new engine will be in the same condition ?

Think, You want to change it even when you dont know how to check compression ?

Find some one who knows how to deal with the engines not kazeem.

Regards Oktawian

Sir, am new into Engines n vehicle related issues, kindly explain to me, how i will check d compression, Rome was nt built in a day, am willing to learn.
Pls wat ar ur recommendations.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 7:57am On Jul 23, 2015
eherbal:
not a Bad idea if The gasket and rings used are original. anything short of that will see you going back to the mechanic village. I learnt a very bitter lesson from my mechanic. I advice you buy the gasket and rings yourself. MAKE SURE YOU'RE THERE WHEN THE PARTS ARE BEING FIXED PLSSSS.
Another thing? are you the one driving the truck yourself? I see it's a commercial one. it looks very neat.

I just started using d bus mysef now,
Pls how do i know original gaskets and rings, any spec i sud look out for when buying?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by oktawian(m): 8:05am On Jul 23, 2015
How do you know if the turbo is not causing this smoke ?

First you wrote that you have problem with the power... then i saw that the engine is using lots of oil ...

Check the turbo first ! , take off inlet pipes that goes to the turbo and see how much oil is there ...
you could even take a picture and put it here.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by eherbal(m): 8:06am On Jul 23, 2015
emperoracro:

I just started using d bus mysef now,
Pls how do i know original gaskets and rings, any spec i sud look out for when buying?
you can take The pain ,go to aspamda market. Trade fair complex, abule pain. the spare parts section there should be able to render some help. everything shouldn't be more than 12 to 15k .I'll try and get you the name later
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 11:14am On Jul 23, 2015
oktawian:
How do you know if the turbo is not causing this smoke ?

First you wrote that you have problem with the power... then i saw that the engine is using lots of oil ...

Check the turbo first ! , take off inlet pipes that goes to the turbo and see how much oil is there ...
you could even take a picture and put it here.
Ok sir, i will do dat wen i get home today.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 11:19am On Jul 23, 2015
eherbal:
you can take The pain ,go to aspamda market. Trade fair complex, abule pain. the spare parts section there should be able to render some help. everything shouldn't be more than 12 to 15k .I'll try and get you the name later
Thanks alot, pls can u give me a comprehensive list of tins i nid to buy for d ringing?
i will visit dose markets dis comin week
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 23, 2015
For starters, the questions you're asking here can't really get answers with any degree of accuracy.

I see someone asked you to take a picture of the engine, and post it here. You haven't done that. You are asking how to check cylinder compression. Well, I've got news for you. Checking the cylinder compression in a diesel engine is very different from doing the same in a gasoline engine. Different tools, different approach, not a DIY job either.

You don't even know the engine code, or spec. So what would you compare your compression test results with, assuming you were able to do it?

You're talking about buying rings "first", then trying things out. That is the best way to chuck money away. You might as well put a bunch of Naira notes into a blast furnace, and watch them burn. If you're having new rings fitted, you can't just "buy a set". The engine will first need to be stripped, the bores checked, and bored out to the next oversize if they are damaged. This will mean either new oversize pistons and rings, or if a very slight increase in bore size, matched rings with your existing pistons. You can't simply guess what is needed.

Putting new rings in will also require a full gasket set, and new cylinder head bolts. You can NOT reuse the old ones, as they are stretch bolts. The cylinder head gasket also comes in 3 different thicknesses, depending on how much the head has been skimmed by, assuming it's been apart and worked on in the past.

Take your LT to a shop that know what they're dong. Otherwise you might as well scrap it / sell it for spare parts.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by 9icetoo(m): 8:43pm On Jul 23, 2015
emperoracro:

Thick black smoke on startup is normal if it clears within 15 seconds or so. That's diesel that wasn't burnt completely during startup. White smoke when you accelerate hard means a). coolant being burnt (not likely as your bus will most likely have water in the radiator now), b). unburnt diesel.
Scenario b will most likely be as a result of a million and one things. It will take a competent diesel mechanic to narrow it down (good luck finding one). If the fuel economy isn't too bad, you can drive it till it stops moving while saving up for a new engine. If you have the resources and the time, get it fixed. Since this is a commercial bus, I do not think you want it sleeping around in a mech workshop workshop when it it can be out there making some cool cash for ya. Like Siena said, it won't be an easy undertaking getting it fixed which is why many peeps go down the 'change engine route'. It's entirely my opinion though.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 9:12pm On Jul 23, 2015
9icetoo:

Thick black smoke on startup is normal if it clears within 15 seconds or so. That's diesel that wasn't burnt completely during startup. White smoke when you accelerate hard means a). coolant being burnt (not likely as your bus will most likely have water in the radiator now), b). unburnt diesel.
Scenario b will most likely be as a result of a million and one things. It will take a competent diesel mechanic to narrow it down (good luck finding one). If the fuel economy isn't too bad, you can drive it till it stops moving while saving up for a new engine. If you have the resources and the time, get it fixed. Since this is a commercial bus, I do not think you want it sleeping around in a mech workshop workshop when it it can be out there making some cool cash for ya. Like Siena said, it won't be an easy undertaking getting it fixed which is why many peeps go down the 'change engine route'. It's entirely my opinion though.
Yh d black smoke clears almost immediately, what do u think about the turbo and ringing?
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by 9icetoo(m): 12:19am On Jul 24, 2015
emperoracro:

Yh d black smoke clears almost immediately, what do u think about the turbo and ringing?
I don't know how to test turbos of that model. I know turbos don't kick in until a certain RPM. I used a scan tool to check mine and boost pressure reported from the MAP sensor was within spec. ringing is a whole different ball game. The cylinder bores would have to be measured assuming it is suffering from low compression. Then what size of rings and pistons to be fitted would be determined from the measurements.
A mech can remove the turbo and inspect it to see if the turbines still behave as they should. Check for leaks in the turbo pipings as well if you are checking the turbo. Remember my earlier post though; if the fuel economy is still okay, you might as well continue driving the bus like that. Please note that diesel engines from your bus era were not particularly fast. In fact, they were slow pokes and took forever to get up to speed. So what you might think is sluggish acceleration might actually be normal.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by lonelydora: 3:51am On Jul 24, 2015
Siena:

What year was your VW LT manufactured?

As for engine size, I'm not asking you to grab a tape measure to get dimensions. I'm referring to the engine capacity. Surely, you must know what that is.

Boss, it's too early to laugh, abeg.
Re: Volkswagen LT (28, 35, 40, 55) Buses Issues Both Diesel And Petrol Engines by emperoracro(m): 5:50am On Jul 24, 2015
9icetoo:

I don't know how to test turbos of that model. I know turbos don't kick in until a certain RPM. I used a scan tool to check mine and boost pressure reported from the MAP sensor was within spec. ringing is a whole different ball game. The cylinder bores would have to be measured assuming it is suffering from low compression. Then what size of rings and pistons to be fitted would be determined from the measurements.
A mech can remove the turbo and inspect it to see if the turbines still behave as they should. Check for leaks in the turbo pipings as well if you are checking the turbo. Remember my earlier post though; if the fuel economy is still okay, you might as well continue driving the bus like that. Please note that diesel engines from your bus era were not particularly fast. In fact, they were slow pokes and took forever to get up to speed. So what you might think is sluggish acceleration might actually be normal.
Aside the engine oil consumption, every other thing seems normal. But the cost of buying engine oil is rather hi

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Most Commonly Replaced Car Parts / How To Survive 10 Driving Emergencies / 5 Auto Parts Potholes Can Destroy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.