Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,905 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:04 AM

What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? (23742 Views)

Just A Novice, Can Someone Help Me With This Dog Breed Name / 2 Local Dogs Charged My GSD Puppy Tonight! Can Someone Explain What Happened? / How Good Is Bullymax Or Gorillamax For Our Local Dogs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 05, 2018
The name of our local breed dog is Basenji mix. This is because a long time ago people brought basenji dogs in to Nigeria and kept on mixing and mixing them with different breed of other dogs.
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 05, 2018
All you people who said that our local Nigerian dogs are all cowards you are wrong. We used to have one back in 2007 and that dog was very visious, it even bit people on few occasions.
My mother's aunty too had one back at the village in adamawa and her own too was extremely vicious, she chains the dog and I swear you should see the way that dog growls and barks when he sees visitors, is as if he is going to cut the chain.

1 Like

Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Hound123: 7:17pm On Aug 05, 2018
TRUE TALK BROTHER NO BE LIE I DON EXPERIENCE AM FIRST HAND O.
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by jbblues24(m): 3:20pm On Jun 01, 2019
Leading the way mate. kiss
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Aiwarin: 7:37pm On Jun 01, 2019
they are called home breeds
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Aiwarin: 7:44pm On Jun 01, 2019
umbwa wa ki-shenzi.meaning common,mongrel or traditional dog

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Itunes17: 8:20am On Jul 31, 2019
Hello house, am a lady and a lover of dogs. I have a local dog and I woukd like to mate it with a non local dog. Kindly advice cos I love that puppy up there. What kind of breed will give me that cute puppy? Thanks in advance[color=#990000][/color]
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by mafiano1986: 1:22pm On Jul 31, 2019
Just call them mongrels. End of discussion!
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by dmangodwin(m): 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2019
Africanis
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by HitlerGaddafi: 11:05pm On Aug 04, 2019
generalj1:
its just painful that all the folks forming veterinary this or that or whateva...none of them ever thought of improving our breeds of dogs.

in case you havent noticed..
1. our local dogs are never vacinated yet they survive all diseases that kill these so called better breeds.
2. their health is fantastic
3. they eat anything...rotten dead animals and others
4. they even hunt animals...see the hunters dogs
5. they serve as rescue dogs in the villages..
6. they are loyal to death.
7. they are cool with family..kids et all....nice guard dogs
8. just like huskies..they survive the harsh conditions of naija...poor diet..no care and yet they are balling
9. they are very prolific ...can whelp up to 11 puppies.

r u kidding...most of these local dogs even survive snake bites....floods...serious physical injuries

if i have my way....most of our local dogs should be crossed with mastiffs of close traits and features.

imagine a cross btw our local breed and dogs like south african boerboels...carne corso...bull mastiffs..

i will love to have good dogs with size...temperaments and character like boerboels coupled with fantastic and diseases resilient health of our local breeds.
I agree with you on them surviving nasty injuries. There's a local dog in my street that has stood the test of time. grin that dog don see life abeg. It walks with 3 legs and lost 1 eye yet e still gallant
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Jh0wsef(m): 12:29pm On Aug 05, 2019
Meet Amon, though local. he's smart, aggressive, he just mated. so book your pups down wink

Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by mafiano1986: 1:48pm On Aug 05, 2019
art1f3:

since you want a crossbreed of local and boerboel, you have come to the right place. now lets see if you will buy. thats him in the picture. hope it fits your description of a perfect dog
How is the temperament of your cross breed? Is he territorial? As in does he bark at strangers? And what age did he start?
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by mafiano1986: 1:56pm On Aug 05, 2019
Jh0wsef:
Meet Amon, though local. he's smart, aggressive, he just mated. so book your pups down wink
Pls at what age did Amon start barking? I want to know because I recently acquired 2 mongrels, one is 4 months and the other is 3 months, the one of 3 months occasionally barks but the one of 4 months have not started barking yet, and Im a bit worried, I even have an Alsatian Rott bitch that is agressive, i was hoping he would learn from her but he does not seem to be learning.
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by Jh0wsef(m): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2019
mafiano1986:

Pls at what age did Amon start barking? I want to know because I recently acquired 2 mongrels, one is 4 months and the other is 3 months, the one of 3 months occasionally barks but the one of 4 months have not started barking yet, and Im a bit worried, I even have an Alsatian Rott bitch that is agressive, i was hoping he would learn from her but he does not seem to be learning.

Amon started barking at 3months or even 4. b
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by AlphaK: 7:30am On Aug 13, 2019
Nigerian Shepherd Dog ( NSD) instead of calling ekuke and all those demeaning names. They can still do what other foreign dogs do if you train well. I'm sure this Nsd would be appreciated by a foreigner but here, it is looked down upon.
Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by mercy348(m): 11:42am On Aug 14, 2019
here is my Nsd bitch but I crossed her with a terrier dog.

1 Like

Re: What's The Breed Name For Our Local Dogs? by ShaqFu: 11:04am On Oct 17, 2022
Well I must say I've learnt alot from reading this thread. It is very illuminating.

(1) (2) (Reply)

8months And 5weeks Old Ostrich Birds Available For Sale. / Can I Cook Weed (igbo) For My Dog To Be Aggressive / Help, My Dogs Are Dying!!! 4 Dogs In 2 Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.