Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,817 members, 7,806,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

20 Examples Of Slang Language - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 20 Examples Of Slang Language (1317 Views)

The Dangerous Texting Slang All Parents Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

20 Examples Of Slang Language by holyteeboy(m): 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
Slang is a perpetual whirlwind of creativity among the young and avante garde. These groups are constantly breaking new ground with artistic expressions of their lives and the life around them. It’s impossible to be in a hip nightclub, or at a cutting edge art gallery, without the latest slang flying around like confetti. Why do people use slang? There are many answers as there are people who are continually reinventing English as we speak

Teenagers Are Experts

Teenagers develop their own idioms and expressions that make adults scratch their heads, trying to figure out what the slang means (and if it’s something they should be upset about.)
For example:

My bad - If a teen has made a mistake, the phrase “my bad” is frequently employed as a cover. It means what it appears to mean: “I was bad!”
This is one of the phrases parents, especially mothers, might pick up on and use themselves, to the everlasting embarrassment of their children.

“Busted” Ain’t Broke
Some words have morphed from one meaning to another. Take the word “busted.” To the grandparents of today’s teens, the word was simply slang for “broken.”
The last decade or so reinvented “busted” to mean someone was caught, probably doing something they shouldn’t. If a store detective saw you stealing a candy bar and nabbed you, you were simply “busted” (and probably in a lot of trouble).

*. Busted - “Busted” has changed yet again. This time, to say someone is busted is to mean they are ugly. It’s definitely not a flattering figure of speech!
Developing Slang Language Words and Phrases
Not all slang words are uniquely developed. Some are created based on other words, or other slang words.

A Change in Meanings

Some words in slang develop from meaning one thing, to meaning another:For example

*. Ride - The word “ride” is of relatively recent origin. It was initially meant to mean a car, as in, “here’s my ride” (even if it’s not the teen’s car, any automobile that could carry him where he wanted to go deserved the title of “ride.”)
Apparently autos are in short supply, or teenagers have discovered the shoe leather express. The word “ride” has become more literal to this group: “How do you like my ride?” no longer means, “do you like my car?” Now it refers to sneakers (particularly of the brand name and expensive variety.)

*. Tope - If something is “tope,” it’s cool to the teenage contingent. So what’s a tope? It’s a combination of “tight” and “dope,” both words meaning something that’s beyond cool.
So if you’re tope, you’re somewhere in the stratosphere of utter coolness.

*. Frenemy - This term is a combination of the words "friend" and "enemy." It is a person who appears on one hand to be your friend but, at the same time is antagonistic towards you.

*. Supersize - Starting with a way to order a bigger order of fries, "supersize" now is used to point anything, anyone or any idea that is excessively large

My fellow nairalanders which one are you used to......pls don't leave without a comment plssssssssss
Re: 20 Examples Of Slang Language by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
Am used to number one.

(1) (Reply)

High Rate Of Unemployment: Where Nigerian Parents Fail / Help 11mths Old Trying To Walk On Tiptoes / Some Things We Do As Women That Destroys Our Marriages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.