Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:45 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY (11803 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate 3RD EDITION -Winner- Obafemi Awolowo University / Comparing LASPOTECH With IBADANPOLY / Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three: WINNER OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2015
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2408643_nisd_jpeg3be8160565afcecc57c88704521e0a03

Whao! Whao!! Whao!!! Ladies and gentlemen, the educational aficionados, the cerebral analysts and pundits, respected Nairaland intelligentsia and commentariat, observers and watchers all well respected Nigerian students both in Nigeria and Abroad, On behalf of the Moderators, Chief coordinators, coordinators, organisers, and initiators, It is my utmost delight to welcome you to THE LAST GROUP STAGE OF NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE SECOND EDITION one of its kind.
You are welcome Once again to the MATCH THREE which serves as the closing match for the group stage, of NAIRALAND INTERSCHOOL DEBATE SECOND EDITION. Currently FUNAAB is topping the table with total point of 216 POINT https://www.nairaland.com/2349905/nairaland-interschool-debate-match-two/4...
The subject matter for this debate is " The social media- a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction?
", the contestants are to drag the topic from both ends, something like a tug of war, as ALHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY ZARIA supports (The social media- a tool of social engineering ) while IBADAN POLYTHECNIC opposes (The social media- a weapon of social destruction?) the motion.

Let it be known that the school with the highest total score in this group stage runner-up will advance to the final, hence, the fight for a spot in the finals will be determine on this thread.

Ceteris paribus, all is set and all is well, feel free to rush down to your refrigerator and grab a bottle of champagne, or probably get a calabash of rain water lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed while you sit back and read along.

Conclusively, provided you have not been following the debate from the outset, you may go through THIS THREAD.

The competition on this thread will be between two intellectuals; OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY VS FEDERAL UNIVERSITY AGRICULTURE ABEOKUTA

TOPIC:
[size=15pt] "The social media- a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction?" [/size]

DATE: 21ST JUNE 2015
TIME: 7PM

CHIEF HOST
Seun GCFR-NL
Mark Zuckergerg of Nigeria
CEO of Nairaland

CHAIRMAN
lalasticlala

Olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

COORDINATOR
Fattybabakay
Miscallenous

JUDGES
HIDENTITY
MATHEWBRIGGS

PARTICIPANTS

ABU ZARIA
barackodam
teamsimple
neemcie
danjuma827

IBADANPOLY

samyscholar
Darrytoz
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
PROCEDURES
6:55 – Debaters and judges take seats, register presence, while schools post their school Anthem

7:00 – Coordinators declare the debate open

7:00pm – 7:20 - Debaters post their arguments. Within 15 minutes. Better if less than 750 words to make it easier for judges to read all, but no harm making it longer, but it must not exceed 1000.

7:20 – 8:20pm - A debater takes on his opponent, attempts to puncture his opponent’s points. This a debater does by quoting, highlighting the area to puncture and countering it i.e regular way to reply on Nairaland. While this is going on the judges can take their time to go through the write ups by the debaters. And also Debaters respond to punctured areas in his earlier arguments. He may buttress further. At this time frame.

8:20 – 8:40pm – Judges post questions to debaters either based on what the debater has posted or just reasonable question within the theme. Judges should be specific as to who they are posting the questions to. E.g “Mr ...., could you expatiate what you meant by so so so? or ...., pls give examples of your claim that xxxx”. This is not compulsory. A judge that doesn’t have question to post to the debaters need not do so.

8:40 – 9:00pm – Debaters respond to questions raised by judges

9:00 – 9:20pm – 2 Questions will be entertained from the audience i.e viewers. This will be based on ‘fastest hand’. The coordinators will announce ‘audience, you may now ask your questions’. After the 2 questions have been posted, any other viewer-post will be hidden.
NOTE: -The judges and audience can throw their questions without quotations but the contestants should answer
with quotations and separated for each questions.

9:20 – 9:30 – Debaters respond to audience questions and concludes their arguments. Debaters who were not asked any questions can still conclude his/her arguments.

9:30 – 9:40 – Judges compile the scores and mail to coordinators:

9:40 – 10:00pmThread thrown open for regular Nairaland discussion.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 7:45pm On Jun 21, 2015
ABU ZARIA barackodam IBADANPOLY samyscholar are we ready for the show?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 8:08pm On Jun 21, 2015
Abu Zaria reps are ready
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:10pm On Jun 21, 2015
I guess have been lenient..... Let begin....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:11pm On Jun 21, 2015
I hereby declare this debate open!

lalasticlala
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
ABU ZARIA first speaker get ready to unveil your argument.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 8:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
ibpoly is ready
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fynestboi:
ABU ZARIA first speaker get ready to unveil your argument.....

ABU ZARIA first speaker post your argument....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by barackodam: 8:26pm On Jun 21, 2015

Name: Barackodam
School: ABU Zaria
Stance: Social media- a tool of social engineering

Before i start proper, i would like to give us a preamble of what the topic says by defining a few keyword.

Social Media: Websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
Social Engineering: Social engineering is the art of manipulating people so they give up confidential information.

The types of information these criminals are seeking can vary, but when individuals are targeted the criminals are usually trying to trick you into giving them your passwords or bank information, or access your computer to secretly install malicious software–that will give them access to your passwords and bank information as well as giving them control over your computer.
Criminals use social engineering tactics because it is usually easier to exploit your natural inclination to trust than it is to discover ways to hack your software. For example, it is much easier to fool someone into giving you their password than it is for you to try hacking their password (unless the password is really weak).

Your employees are on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Quora, and they are adding personal information to the Web every single day. Most people don’t realize how much personal information is available online. Needless to say, we’ve all become comfortable sharing personal tidbits that used to be reserved for private, face-to-face conversations. This is the kind of fodder that social engineers rely on to launch an attack. A simple search of spokeo.com or any other of a number of sites will pull the wool off of anyone’s eyes really quick.

If I were a hacker and wanted to do some recon on a company, I need not look any further than the social sites of their employees. I can use that information to launch a social engineering attack on their company. Here’s how a common scenario might play out:

Let’s assume I am a malicious person and I want to obtain all the user account data and records for a particular organization. Their physical security is relatively good, and I have failed at high level attempts to get any kind of employee information. I have nothing. That’s fine. Let’s hop on LinkedIn and do a company search for this organization. Easy enough – I now have a list of potential targets, their job titles, employment histories, education history, affiliated organizations, business contacts and in some cases their pictures. Big deal you say? This type of information is invaluable when profiling your targets. With the information here, I can narrow down a few targets based on what I am trying to find, pull up more intimate information regarding their family, friends and hobbies on Facebook and have a very specific profile on the potential targets. Armed with this information, it would be easy to spoof a text message from a business contact or spouse asking them to visit a website containing malware and exploits. I could use their hobby information to entice them to click a link or open an attachment from a carefully crafted email that allows me to plan a virus. On a more advanced level and far more nefarious level, I could build a geolocation profile from embedded location information in posts and photos. Then all I have to do it wait for someone to work at a coffee shop and step away from their briefcase for a moment to slip in a USB drive loaded with auto-executable binaries that they’ll eventually plug in to a computer. This all sounds very “Mission Impossible” but I assure you, it’s highly possible and happens enough to pay attention.

Common social engineering attacks
Phishing attempts. Typically, a phisher sends an e-mail, IM, comment, or text message that appears to come from a legitimate, popular company, bank, school, or institution.

These messages usually have a scenario or story:
The message may explain there is a problem that requires you to "verify" of information by clicking on the displayed link and providing information in their form. The link location may look very legitimate with all the right logos, and content (in fact, the criminals may have copied the exact format and content of the legitimate site). Because everything looks legitimate, you trust the email and the phony site and provide whatever information the crook is asking for. These types of phishing scams often include a warning of what will happen if you fail to act soon, because criminals know that if they can get you to act before you think, you’re more likely to fall for their phish.

The message may notify you that you’re a ’winner’. Maybe the email claims to be from a lottery, or a dead relative, or the millionth person to click on their site, etc. In order to give you your ’winnings’ you have to provide information about your bank routing so they know how to send it to you, or give your address and phone number so they can send the prize, and you may also be asked to prove who you are often including your Social Security Number. These are the ’greed phishes’ where even if the story pretext is thin, people want what is offered and fall for it by giving away their information, then having their bank account emptied, and identity stolen.

The message may ask for help. Preying on kindness and generosity, these phishes ask for aid or support for whatever disaster, political campaign, or charity is hot at the moment.

REFRENCES
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/resources/tips/online-shopping-banking/secure-what-is-social-engineering
http://www.webroot.com/us/en/home/resources/tips/online-shopping-banking/secure-what-is-social-engineering
http://www.securityweek.com/social-media-makes-way-social-engineeringified soon

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:26pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fynestboi:

ABU ZARIA first speaker post your argument....

Second speaker follow suit.... We are behind schedule...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 8:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
good

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
FOLLOWING!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
IBADANPOLY first speaker and second speaker let have your argument....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jun 21, 2015
I rep UNILAG. Pls Holla me when it's up for UNILAG. Greatest Akokites!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 8:40pm On Jun 21, 2015
The social media- a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction.

Good day to the esteemed judges, erudite coordinators, fellow debaters, and the informed spectators. I am Darrytoz, the second speaker of The Polytechnic, Ibadan. I stand for: The social media- a weapon of social destruction?

SOCIAL MEDIA: is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration.
WEAPON: an instrument or other means of harming or exerting control over another.
DESTRUCTION: the act or process of destroying or being destroyed.

Social media is the 'new media' that speed up conversations in a more interactive way that makes communication more effective and worthwhile. It is an online media that takes communication beyond the limitations of the traditional media. Which most often delivers content but doesn't permit readers, or as the case may be, viewers or listeners, to participate in the formation or development of the content.
But a web content analyst, Ron Jones' definition of social media seems quite apt. He said it is, "a category of online media where people are talking, participating, sharing, networking, and bookmarking online". Currently, there is an array of social media networks in the world, ranging from social sharing sites such as YouTube, Twitter to Linkedin and facebook among others.

However, Facebook is said to be the most popular social network in the world. It is also one of the two most frequently visited websites in the entire internet. It routinely trades places with Google as the most visited web service, and by the company's estimates, it now has over 800million active users. That is more regular visitors than the entire internet had in 2004. As of June 2012, facebook has over 955 million active users, more than half of them visiting it on mobile devices.
The social media commonly used in Nigeria include Facebook, 2go, yahoo messenger, BBM, whatapps, twitter, linkedin amongst others. They all offer their users unrestricted access to chat with friends, relations and other acquaintances. Started from Facebook followed by Twitter, social networking websites have become the vogue across the world, especially among the youth. Just a few clicks and you can chat with your friends and family, sitting at a different corner of the globe.

Before the deregulation of the Nigeria telecommunication sector in 1999, fewer Nigerians had access to computers while the lack of sufficient technological infrastructure such as the internet and mobile phones constrained communication within the society. However, with the deregulation of the telecommunication sector, social network spread like wide fire in Nigeria. Today, all classes of Nigerians now have unlimited access to the social media.

The youth, however, remains the most prominent users of the social media. This of course is not surprising as the digital age is widely believed to belong to the youth. No doubt, the phenomenon of the social media has, in no small measure, impacted positively on the development of the Nigerian youths and, indeed Nigerians at large. However, despite these benefits, social media have been subjected to abuse and some negative stories. Is it the crimes that are perpetuated through it that we want to talk about, or the nude pictures that flood social media?

Nevertheless, like it is in every sphere of life, the social media equally has negative influence on the youth, especially the unsuspecting ones. The obvious lack of security of the social media makes it dangerous to innocent youths. People have to sign up with some sites putting in their personal and sometimes professional information.
As long as these details are safe, there is no threat in social networking with friends as well as strangers, you want to be friend with. But once your personal details like address, contact number, etc. get hacked by the unwanted strangers, you will be a soft target of these immoral act.
There is a great danger in getting close with strange people on social media sites. Many people unconsciously get started with strangers with the intention of having a casual relationship but gradually they find out that they become so close to these people.
As time goes on they become so intimate forgetting that the heart of men is desperately wicked (apology to the Holy scriptures). With time they so much trust them that they reveal their deepest secrets to them while the so called 'friends' turn back to pay them with evil. Through this way, many have been defrauded while others have lost their lives.

These negative effects of social media, seems to take more toll on the Nigerian youth. Study have revealed that there seems to be a positive correlation between the usage of social media with cyber bullying. Social media have led to a sharp increase in crime rate among Nigerian youth. People are constantly duped, kidnapped or even killed by social media-accentuated means. Of courses, a case in point was a student Cynthia Osokogu, who was killed by friends she met through a social media-facebook. Again, students are sometimes raped on their way to seeing their "social networking" friends.

In conclusion, the social media offers unlimited possibilities for the Nigerian youth. However, in view of its obvious shortcomings, some of which have been discussed above. It is important for governments, NGOs, youth based organisations and other relevant stakeholders to regularly enlighten the youth on the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of the social media.
This is essential if the youth are to properly harness the positive aspects of the social media for personal development. Perhaps, more importantly, the youth should take responsibility on how to use the social media in a positive light. They should shun every negative tendency that the platform could provide in order not to become tools for societal disintegration. Thank you.

REFERENCES
www.peoplesdailyng.com
www.slideshare.net
www.ru.org/society/
www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/
www.whatis.comThe social media- a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction.

Good day to the esteemed judges, erudite coordinators, fellow debaters, and the informed spectators. I am Darrytoz, the second speaker of The Polytechnic, Ibadan. I stand for: The social media- a weapon of social destruction?

SOCIAL MEDIA: is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration.
WEAPON: an instrument or other means of harming or exerting control over another.

Social media is the 'new media' that speed up conversations in a more interactive way that makes communication more effective and worthwhile. It is an online media that takes communication beyond the limitations of the traditional media. Which most often delivers content but doesn't permit readers, or as the case may be, viewers or listeners, to participate in the formation or development of the content.
But a web content analyst, Ron Jones' definition of social media seems quite apt. He said it is, "a category of online media where people are talking, participating, sharing, networking, and bookmarking online". Currently, there is an array of social media networks in the world, ranging from social sharing sites such as YouTube, Twitter to Linkedin and facebook among others.

However, Facebook is said to be the most popular social network in the world. It is also one of the two most frequently visited websites in the entire internet. It routinely trades places with Google as the most visited web service, and by the company's estimates, it now has over 800million active users. That is more regular visitors than the entire internet had in 2004. As of June 2012, facebook has over 955 million active users, more than half of them visiting it on mobile devices.
The social media commonly used in Nigeria include Facebook, 2go, yahoo messenger, BBM, whatapps, twitter, linkedin amongst others. They all offer their users unrestricted access to chat with friends, relations and other acquaintances. Started from Facebook followed by Twitter, social networking websites have become the vogue across the world, especially among the youth. Just a few clicks and you can chat with your friends and family, sitting at a different corner of the globe.

Before the deregulation of the Nigeria telecommunication sector in 1999, fewer Nigerians had access to computers while the lack of sufficient technological infrastructure such as the internet and mobile phones constrained communication within the society. However, with the deregulation of the telecommunication sector, social network spread like wide fire in Nigeria. Today, all classes of Nigerians now have unlimited access to the social media.

The youth, however, remains the most prominent users of the social media. This of course is not surprising as the digital age is widely believed to belong to the youth. No doubt, the phenomenon of the social media has, in no small measure, impacted positively on the development of the Nigerian youths and, indeed Nigerians at large. However, despite these benefits, social media have been subjected to abuse and some negative stories. Is it the crimes that are perpetuated through it that we want to talk about, or the nude pictures that flood social media?

Nevertheless, like it is in every sphere of life, the social media equally has negative influence on the youth, especially the unsuspecting ones. The obvious lack of security of the social media makes it dangerous to innocent youths. People have to sign up with some sites putting in their personal and sometimes professional information.
As long as these details are safe, there is no threat in social networking with friends as well as strangers, you want to be friend with. But once your personal details like address, contact number, etc. get hacked by the unwanted strangers, you will be a soft target of these immoral act.
There is a great danger in getting close with strange people on social media sites. Many people unconsciously get started with strangers with the intention of having a casual relationship but gradually they find out that they become so close to these people.
As time goes on they become so intimate forgetting that the heart of men is desperately wicked (apology to the Holy scriptures). With time they so much trust them that they reveal their deepest secrets to them while the so called 'friends' turn back to pay them with evil. Through this way, many have been defrauded while others have lost their lives.

These negative effects of social media, seems to take more toll on the Nigerian youth. Study have revealed that there seems to be a positive correlation between the usage of social media with cyber bullying. Social media have led to a sharp increase in crime rate among Nigerian youth. People are constantly duped, kidnapped or even killed by social media-accentuated means. Of courses, a case in point was a student Cynthia Osokogu, who was killed by friends she met through a social media-facebook. Again, students are sometimes raped on their way to seeing their "social networking" friends.

In conclusion, the social media offers unlimited possibilities for the Nigerian youth. However, in view of its obvious shortcomings, some of which have been discussed above. It is important for governments, NGOs, youth based organisations and other relevant stakeholders to regularly enlighten the youth on the good, the bad and the ugly aspects of the social media.
This is essential if the youth are to properly harness the positive aspects of the social media for personal development. Perhaps, more importantly, the youth should take responsibility on how to use the social media in a positive light. They should shun every negative tendency that the platform could provide in order not to become tools for societal disintegration. Thank you.

REFERENCES
www.peoplesdailyng.com
www.slideshare.net
www.ru.org/society/
www.whatis.com
The social media- a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction.

REFERENCES
www.peoplesdailyng.com
www.slideshare.net
www.ru.org/society/
www.whatis.com

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 8:42pm On Jun 21, 2015
SCHOOL: The Polytechnic, Ibadan

NAME: Sammyscholar

TOPIC: The Social Media: a tool of social engineering or a weapon of social destruction?

STANCE: The latter

"The more social media we have, the more we think we're connecting, yet we are really disconnecting from each other" - JR.

It is not uncommon in the world of today to hear of how people are falling prey of online fraud. We see people loosing their private lives to online virality. Many have married their browsing gadgets at the expense of their physical interaction with their supposed partners. Some have had their careers ended abruptly consequent upon their actions (and even inactions) on the virtual world. Students also are not left out in this ugly picture as most of them have lost touch with their academics as a result of their incessant browsing. The root of all these devastating phenomenons has been traced and found to be connected with our newly found communication mediator - social media. Is social media truly helping us to engineer our social life or destroying it?

Good day to the learned coordinators, meticulous jurist, fellow debaters, and the following audience. My name is sammyscholar, the first representative of the Polytechnic Ibadan, and we stand for; The Social Media: a weapon of social destruction.

Social media is propagated to be platform where we can easily communicate with our friends; but it has, overtime, proven to be nothing more than narcissism tool. Social networking sites are growing daily in number and popularity, but they are really destroying our natural and healthy interpersonal relationships and fostering ignorance of the 'real' human condition. Although the social media enables us to have a swift and cheap connection with our friends; but the damage it has done to our social life is far more than the benefit it poses. Social media has made us lost touch with our real interpersonal relationship and subjected us to a lot of social problems. It has utterly destroyed our social fabrics and altered our behaviour and perspectives on what is culturally relevant and perhaps most importantly, how we view each other as social system.

We no longer care about real, tangible things. All we now care about is the virtual world— how our images look on social media or how many "likes” our Instagram photo has garnered. We no longer give priority to what happens in the real and visible present, but to what occurs in the virtual world. It is has now become a norm today that whenever terrible thing occurs, say accident, what people do is to take a snap-shot of the victims and post on social media instead of taking them to the hospital; and as a result of this, many lives that could have been saved have been lost.

The psychological effects of social media has risen over the years at the heels of researchers empirical evidences that world are currently eschewing face to face communication while clinging to browsing and chatting, noting that perpetrators may likely face clinical disorderliness, lack of thinking among others.

A lot of marriage counsellors have observed that social media (Facebook especially) is the top cause of relationship problems. As rightly asserted by Dr. Steven Kimmons, a clinical psychologist and marriage counsellor at the Loyola University Medical Center; "We're coming across it more and more. One spouse connects online with someone they knew from school. The person is emotionally available and they start communicating through Facebook." That is just the reality of our today's life. how do we intend to build a healthy relationship with this?

Followers of education bodies and schools would also recall the records of mass failure of students, expulsion and dead mission of students whose failure to meet-up with their target were always attributed to incessant surfing of social networking services and downloading of applications 48 hours as well as viewing the pornographic movies and pictures posted therein.

The emergence of social media have upsurged crime rate in our society as many have been defrauded, abducted, killed and maimed through it. A case in point is the pathetic story of a 24-year Miss Cynthia Udoka Osokogu (daughter of Retired Gen. Frank Osokogu) allegedly slain be her Facebook friends in a Lagos based hotel (where they defrauded, sexually harassed and strangled her to death). The media also noted that two persons among the six accused persons of the crime admitted to have done it while stressing that Late Cynthia was their sixth victim of “social evil baptized social networking. similarly, Vanguard news reported on January 1, 2013 that Lagos state Police command arrested a facebook lover who claimed to be a doctor for defrauding one of his facebook friends the sum of N200,000 with intent to secure job for her in Custom Service “where he allegedly had a slot”. Also, Daily Post (a Nigerian online newspaper) posted early March last year that Edo state Police Command rescued a Spaniard who was lured to Nigeria by his lover who connived to defraud and held him hostage in a hotel in Benin-City, the state capital, adding that two people were also nabbed by same police for luring and rapping their Facebook lover, 16 year old girl in a hotel.

Social media have also created, for some unscrupulous element, an avenue to perpetuate mischievous acts. They can masquerade themselves by using the names and pictures of people to extort money from their relatives or, worst still, batter their public image . It has repeatedly been seen and heard of how some people (especially the stellas) are quoted to have said or do something engraving, but later discovered to have been the handiwork of impostors. Some prominent people have had their names damaged beyond repairable sequel to this.

Some may argue that social media only becomes a destruction tool to only those who misuse it; but we need to know that its sharp edge sword knows no bound. Even when you are careful about its usage or you do not use it at all, you are still vulnerable to its destruction. You can be an internet nobody, but your content could still be taken from the real world to the virtual world where it usage can alter your life forever.

Conclusively, social media is only giving us false impression of what human interaction actually is. It is only creating for us a medium to live an unreal and wasteful life. Naturally, we have all it takes to live a well interconnected life. we have survived many years without any communication mediator; we have passed through a lot of centuries without the electronic global community; yet, we connect, live and grow impressively. our natural interpersonal relationship does not only allow us to have vibrant and formidable connection, it also gives us the opportunity to express our true self and feelings. We do not get to fake things like we now do on social media. Thank you.

REFERENCES

1) builttobrag.com/5-pitfalls-of-social-media/
2) www.skeptical-science.com/science/technology/perils/
3) www.entrepreneur.com/article/203472
4) m.thenigerianvoice.com/news/140454/1/social-media-or-social-evil.html
5) mobile.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/social_media.htm

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:49pm On Jun 21, 2015
Rebuttal stage will be activated in the next 5mins....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by freedom96: 8:51pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
Abu Zaria reps are ready
Mr danjuma da Allah I want to ask u some questions abt inter-university transfer system of ABU.Is it ok?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 8:53pm On Jun 21, 2015
Fynestboi:
Rebuttal stage will be activated in the next 5mins....

We are good to go guys....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by barackodam: 8:54pm On Jun 21, 2015
judges and moderators, due to an unforseen circumstance, i may not be able to continue again, there is an emergency i have to attend to.

i hope you understand.

hidentity
mathewbriggs
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:01pm On Jun 21, 2015
@darrytoz. do you know that most students all over the world are being educated through online social media platforms and there population is increasing day in day out?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by darrytoz(m): 9:06pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
@darrytoz. do you know that most students all over the world are being educated through online social media platforms and there population is increasing day in day out?
come to think the total number of students being educated through the social media is not much to the total number of students that uses it to fraud their fellows.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 9:12pm On Jun 21, 2015
barackodam:
judges and moderators, due to an unforseen circumstance, i may not be able to continue again, there is an emergency i have to attend to.

i hope you understand.

hidentity
mathewbriggs

How about your team Mate?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Fynestboi: 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
Continue with the rebuttal....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:13pm On Jun 21, 2015
sammyscholar:

Social media is propagated to be platform where we can easily communicate with our friends; but it has overtime, proven to be nothing more than narcissism tool. Social networking sites are growing daily in number and popularity, but they are really destroying our natural and healthy interpersonal relationships and fostering ignorance of the 'real' human condition. Although the social media enables us to have a swift and cheap connection with our friends; but the damage it is has done to our social life is far more than the benefit it poses. Social media has made us lost touch with our real interpersonal relationship and subjected us to a lot of social problems. It has utterly destroyed our social fabrics and altered our behaviour and perspectives on what is culturally relevant and perhaps most importantly, how we view each other as social system.
don't you love it when you are in touch with your old friend through the social network? do you have the time to call all your old friends? or fonyou want to call them with the phone one by one? Social media has helped us get in touch with many of our old friends and these has help us a lot I hope you will believe with me that the advantages of using this social media on you friends is too many. And I know also you use it to contact as many friends as possible
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by Danjuma827(m): 9:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
darrytoz:

come to think the total number of students being educated through the social media is not much to the total number of students that uses it to fraud their fellows.
Do your research very well. More people are being educated day in day out and they are surpassing the issues of fraud. Do you believe with me that knowlegde is power? If you do with the rate at which people are being educated through social media there will be tremendous decrease in crime rate.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate Match Three:Abu ZariaVSIbadanpoly!WINNER:IBADANPOLY by sammyscholar(m): 9:21pm On Jun 21, 2015
Danjuma827:
don't you love it when you are in touch with your old friend through the social network? do you have the time to call all your old friends? or fonyou want to call them with the phone one by one? Social media has helped us get in touch with many of our old friends and these has help us a lot I hope you will believe with me that the advantages of using this social media on you friends is too many. And I know also you use it to contact as many friends as possible
yes, i have the time to call my old friends. a friend that can not make time out to call or visit his/her friend is not a true friend. knowledge has revealed that a long lasting relationship is the one that the people involved are ready to make sacrifice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 / Why Nigerian Universities Rank Poorly Globally, By Okebukola / Nigerian Defence Academy 64th Regular Course

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.