Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,171 members, 7,807,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? (4010 Views)

You Can Only Bark In Your Land, But Won’t Dare It In Kano – Kwankwaso to Yorubas / Igbos A Threat To Yorubas ? / President Jonathan And Yoruba Oba's, Blessing Or Curse? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by StFunmi(f): 7:19am On Feb 24, 2009
Awo's legacy graced Yorubaland with free education for years and many of us reaped from the fruits of his vision. Was Awo's  vision truly a blessing or curse in disguise?.

The recent drop of Yorubas in school may be a result of the demise of Awo's free education policy. If most rural Yorubas are not used to paying school fees, do you think they'll wake up suddenly to do it?.

Secondly, the population density of south west may also be a factor because we spend more percentage of our federal state allocation to furnish these schools that cater for children  from every part of the nation while they spend less and achieve more in their own states that have a higher percentage of indigenes.

Do you think we should bring back Awo's  free education to boost the interest of Yoruba youths in schools. We should understand clearly that the more they drop out of school the more the population of area boys and almajiris increase in our land.

Also, I studied the statistics and foresaw a trend that may be shocking to any yoruba person that cares. There is still  a big difference between male and female enrollment in schools. If females are more in population but when it comes to education, they drop, what does that tell you about our culture and how it subdues women?. The more we educate our women, the more we curtail careless pregnancy and poverty. If igbo women are twice as educated as Yoruba women, it's a shame indeed.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/129679_chart9_jpg94caaa4be826166e9f4f759f7198bb2c
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 7:04am On Feb 27, 2011
Na today?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:28am On Feb 27, 2011
Which states are being counted as SE and which states are being counted as SW in that chart?

Just wondering.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by EzeUche2(m): 7:32am On Feb 27, 2011
Interesting information.

But why just compare the SE and SW. Why not include the North as well?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Beaf: 7:50am On Feb 27, 2011
^
I've seen these charts as they include the SS as well. It would be useful to publish all comparisons.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 9:46am On Feb 27, 2011
What is the data on the chart? JAMB, college admissions, college graduation, hs enrollment. . . ?

I guess over some 6 year period; which one?

And where is the raw data used to make that chart?

Which states?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:54am On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

What is the data on the chart? JAMB, college admissions, college graduation, hs enrollment. . . ?

I guess over some 6 year period; which one?

And where is the raw data used to make that chart?

Which states?

I'm pretty sure that the data on enrollment actually was on or from the former JAMB website (it changed) or another official website when the original post was made (2009), but I don't think they answered the question of which states they were using when the charts came out around the same time in this thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html

There are other statistics in that thread that would agree with this chart, but I'm not sure about the states used. In that thread I linked to above, for example, that Afaukwu poster was counting Rivers as an SE state in this post (https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.32.html#msg3500225), but not similarly counting a majority Yoruba state, Kwara, for the SW.

Obviously Rivers is not considered politically southeast nor is Kwara considered politically southwest, but if the graphs from that thread, used in St. Funmi's opening post in this thread, operated under the assumption that Rivers could be counted towards the southeast while Kwara could not be counted for the SW, then there is an error there, though it might not necessarily affect the overall picture of the charts. I think the original source of the article with the charts (Ikechukwu Agbor) should have stated what states he was counting for each region or just posted the state data outright, if he wanted there to be no doubt about his findings. It's entirely a possibility that he could have made the same mistake Afaukwu made and counted Rivers to the SE because it's majority Igbo.

The thing I remain skeptical of, however, are the numbers for Lagos. While it's true that a large percentage of the population of Lagos do not consider or list Lagos as their state of origin it's also true that a lot of people, including young people, do claim to be from Lagos even when they're not originally from there, so I wonder why Lagos state doesn't have ridiculously large numbers.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 11:21am On Feb 27, 2011
Where is the raw data, though? I'm very puzzled.

Take a look at this article, for example:

Although 71 visually impaired candidates applied for the UME, 65 actually wrote the examination. 16-year-old Irene Edem from Cross River State scored the highest mark of 310. Three others tied with a score of 308. They are Igugu O. Igugu, 23 years from Delta State, Konye Odinde, 18 years old also from Delta State and 47-year-old Raymond Moses-Gombo, from Delta State.
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/feb/101.html

So it doesn't quite look like the equivalent of SAT, which is taken by primarily juniors and seniors, not 23+ year olds?

I really wish I could see the raw data.

I'm puzzled. Consider this post for example here by (Ibime https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html#msg3497787):

Forget all these excuses. We all know the South-West is more populated than the South-East, which is empty. No be today when Igbo people start to leave South-East Nigeria in their droves. Can you argue that Lagos State is less populated than Bayelsa State? If not, why does Bayelsa State have more University entrants than Lagos State? The simple fact is that the South-West and North need to get their act together.

So I'm really wondering how the data is collected, if it somehow suggests Bayelsa State (least populous southern state) has more college admits than Lagos State (most populous.) Seems like someone is collecting or interpreting the data incorrectly. Or Bayelsa State folk are by far the most intelligent people in Africa (and I guess the world  tongue)

Going to continue reading through this thread though. I went to the JAMB website. . . no raw data there. Anyone else have a link to this type of data?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 12:05pm On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

Where is the raw data, though? I'm very puzzled.

Take a look at this article, for example:
http://nigeriaworld.com/articles/2009/feb/101.html

So it doesn't quite look like the equivalent of SAT, which is taken by primarily juniors and seniors, not 23+ year olds?

I really wish I could see the raw data.

I'm puzzled. Consider this post for example here by (Ibime https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html#msg3497787):
So I'm really wondering how the data is collected, if it somehow suggests Bayelsa State (least populous southern state) has more college admits than Lagos State (most populous.) Seems like someone is collecting or interpreting the data incorrectly. Or Bayelsa State folk are by far the most intelligent people in Africa (and I guess the world  tongue)

Going to continue reading through this thread though. I went to the JAMB website. . . no raw data there. Anyone else have a link to this type of data?

How does the bolded make any sense?

You are required to fill in your state of origin, not your state of residence in JAMB applications. How many of those living in Lagos are really from Lagos?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 12:11pm On Feb 27, 2011
^-- I didn't finish reading through the thread before I made that comment. It only later became clear to me that state of origin is what one writes down (I didn't grow up in Nigeria, so wouldn't be aware of some of these details.)

Still though, I'd like to see the raw state-by-state data, rather than that aggregated over zones. Doesn't seem to be available on the JAMB site any more.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 12:45pm On Feb 27, 2011
^^
I've not seen a state by state figures from JAMB.

But they usually publish the top 6 states with highest number of applicants and the bottom 3 states yearly.

You might check these ones that I found.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-537888.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-17612.0.html
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 1:01pm On Feb 27, 2011
^-- Interesting comment in that thread from one of the more astute posters on this forum:

[quote="Abaworo"]
For more than 20 years,Imo state has continued to produce the most number of applicants,graduates and youth corpers in Nigeria.The educational gap between Imo and other states has widened but there is something bothering me.Imo state has the most number of job seekers and unemployed graduates in Nigeria.We(Imo citizens) need to industrialise our state in order to create opportunities for our teeming unemployed graduates since they are discriminated against by other states and Fg firms.
[/quote]
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-537888.0.html#msg7003487

I'd really like to see more data. Is there graduate state-of-origin data available? Youth corps data?

Hmm, very interesting.

BTW it seemed very odd to me that Osun had more than Ogun or Oyo. . .? Why is that? Osun is certainly much less populated than those other two states, I think. Do they spend more on education there? Do Osun people care more about education than other Yoruba (possible, but seems odd.) Are lots of adults taking JAMB in Osun, but only youths elsewhere. . . ?

This data raises a lot of questions.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 1:12pm On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Interesting comment in that thread from one of the more astute posters on this forum:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-537888.0.html#msg7003487

I'd really like to see more data. Is there graduate state-of-origin data available? Youth corps data?

Hmm, very interesting.

BTW it seemed very odd to me that Osun had more than Ogun or Oyo. . .? Why is that? Osun is certainly much less populated than those other two states, I think. Do they spend more on education there? Do Osun people care more about education than other Yoruba (possible, but seems odd.) Are lots of adults taking JAMB in Osun, but only youths elsewhere. . . ?

This data raises a lot of questions.

I've personally been on the look out for a data on graduate state-of-origin. Still cant find anything tangible. The NYSC should be in position to do that job though.

I kind of agree with with Abagworo to some extent. I've seen a number of these SE graduates turn 'traders'. But I wonder where he got his assertions from? I wished he provided some stats.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 1:16pm On Feb 27, 2011
I kind of think that the presence of a famous institution like OAU in Ile-Ife could be one factor that encouraging youths in Osun to take more interest in education.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 1:23pm On Feb 27, 2011
excanny:

I kind of think that the presence of a famous institution like OAU in Ile-Ife  could be one factor that encouraging youths in Osun to take more interest in education.

Ibadan has its own famous university, though. And Oyo State is far more populated than Osun. Anyway, I dunno what the deal is there.

Regarding the rest. . . from this data, assuming it is fine for us to accept it on face value (something I'm not sure about yet)  then I think it is fair to say that Igbo are #1 in pop, no? Isn't 100% certain, but certainly seems to suggest it, I think? Similarly, seems likely that the North is pretty empty, no?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 1:53pm On Feb 27, 2011
eku_bear:

Ibadan has its own famous university, though. And Oyo State is far more populated than Osun. Anyway, I dunno what the deal is there.

Regarding the rest. . . from this data, assuming it is fine for us to accept it on face value (something I'm not sure about yet)  then[b] I think it is fair to say that Igbo are #1 in pop, no? Isn't 100% certain, but certainly seems to suggest it, I think? Similarly, seems likely that the North is pretty empty, no?[/b]

No. Thats not a factor to determine actually population. This is one of the flawed arguments used by the 'Igbos are the largest' school of thought.

One must also give consideration to the level of interest in education. If a large percentage of my folks do not go to school, does that mean that they're non-existent?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 2:00pm On Feb 27, 2011
^-- Why would interest levels in school of Yoruba and Igbo be vastly different?

Let's say we look at the data and find out that far more Igbo are going to school than Yoruba. Say the gap is quite big.

I think then that either
1) Yoruba are less interested in school than Igbo
2) Igbo are more numerous than Yoruba
3) Yoruba are dumber than Igbo

I've not really seen much evidence for #1, personally. If it is there, someone let me know. Regarding #3, I certainly haven't seen evidence of that here in the US, at least as far as students at top schools go. Not to mention that there probably isn't much difference IQ-wise between different West African population (at least, this is my guess.)

So if it is safe to rule out #1 and #3, then why is #2 not a likely answer? Assuming that we have lots of data and find a big gap. Are there some factors I've missed?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 2:15pm On Feb 27, 2011
^^^
I'll rather stick to No. 1

One other factor I think that is coming into play is that it's most likely the average Igbo family have a higher per capita income  than than a Yoruba family. So they(Igbos) can afford to send their wards to higher institution of learning. 

This could be the difference despite both groups having a considerable interest in education.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by ekubear1: 2:29pm On Feb 27, 2011
^-- Hrm, maybe so. Not sure of the answer. Hopefully some others can chime in.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 4:33pm On Feb 27, 2011
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-36515.0.html

Igbos have consistently led in JAMB intake in Nigeria for decades now. IMO state alone beast a combo of mnay SW states.
The jamb site used to be up and running with all th state by state data until Oyerinde, the incompetent Yoruba current head of JAMB pulled it down because the data there does not favour the SW. All the data above were obtained and synthesized from JAMB because I have seen them before
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Kobojunkie: 4:48pm On Feb 27, 2011
St.Funmi:

The recent drop of Yorubas in school may be a result of the demise of Awo's free education policy. If most rural Yorubas are not used to paying school fees, do you think they'll wake up suddenly to do it?.
I don’t believe the drop has much to do with education being free, unless we can SHOW this to be the case.
St.Funmi:

Secondly, the population density of south west may also be a factor because we spend more percentage of our federal state allocation to furnish these schools that cater for children from every part of the nation while they spend less and achieve more in their own states that have a higher percentage of indigenes.
Considering the vast majority of the public schools in the SW are essentially death traps now, I don’t believe it is the case that the states allocations are really being spent on furnishing these schools that cater for the children, as you claim. I really would love to see data to show this to be the case considering my own research tends to the idea that much of that money rarely gets to the schools themselves.

St.Funmi:

Do you think we should bring back Awo's free education to boost the interest of Yoruba youths in schools.
Bring it back?
St.Funmi:

We should understand clearly that the more they drop out of school the more the population of area boys and almajiris increase in our land.
And the more we continue to ignore other factors that may contribute more to the problem than the FREE EDUCATION policy, the more we as well continue to increase the population of area boys and almajiris.

St.Funmi:

Also, I studied the statistics and foresaw a trend that may be shocking to any yoruba person that cares. There is still a big difference between male and female enrollment in schools. If females are more in population but when it comes to education, they drop, what does that tell you about our culture and how it subdues women?. The more we educate our women, the more we curtail careless pregnancy and poverty
Definitely, I believe culture plays a bigger part in all this, than does the free education policy, etc. That is my opinion, but I think there are other factors that ought to be dealt with in order to make education more appealing, and we may not have touched on them yet.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 4:53pm On Feb 27, 2011
Saturday, April 24, 2010

JAMB releases UTME results, 41% score above 200
John Alechenu

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board on Friday released the results of 1, 228, 607 out of a total of 1, 276, 795 candidates who sat for the maiden Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination held on April 17 across the country.

advertisement

Of this number, only 501,463 representing 41 per cent of the candidates scored above 200 out of the maximum 400 points.

Another set of 832,434 representing 68 per cent of this number scored above 180 marks while 330, 971 representing 27 per cent scored between 180 and 199 marks.

The Registrar/Chief Executive of JAMB, Prof. 'Dibu Ojerinde, who disclosed these at a press briefing in Abuja, explained that a total of 1, 375,652 candidates applied for the 2010 UTME, out of which 271 candidates sat for the examination in six foreign countries.

He said, "Out of the 1,276,795 candidates that sat for the 2010 UTME, the results of 1,228,607 representing 96.26 per cent are today released, while results of 48, 188 (3.77 per cent) are still being screened before release or otherwise.

"Detailed analysis of application by gender shows that 769,416 candidates are male while 606,236 candidates are female. These figures show that 44.07 per cent are female while 55.93 per cent are male."

Imo State led the six states with the highest number of candidates with a total of 111,613 representing 8.11 per cent, closely followed by Delta State with 86,955 representing 6.32 per cent.

The Federal Capital Territory led the bottom six with a total of 2,393 applications, representing 0.17 per cent of the total number. It was closely followed by Zamfara State with 3,568, representing 0.26 per cent.

As has been the tradition over the years, candidates who are seeking university admission led the pack, followed closely by those seeking admission into colleges of education.

Bayelsa State came tops on the list of states where examination malpractices were recorded. It had a total of 5,442 cases, followed by Rivers State with 3, 302 cases. Lagos State came third with 2,847 cases.

The JAMB registrar revealed that 46 examination centres across 10 states had been de-recognised as a result of their "unacceptable behaviours during the examination.

Rivers State led the pack with 12 centres, followed by Imo and Lagos states with seven centres each.

Ojerinde said 20,780 results, representing 1.63 per cent of the total number of those who sat for the examination, were being withheld for further verification and thorough screening before release.

He explained that it was too early to make public the name of the highest scorer in the examination because some of the results were still being screened.

He also frowned at the practice of some universities who charged candidates up to N10, 000 for making such universities their second choice. Ojerinde said this practice must stop or else sanctions would be applied.

He enjoined candidates to go online, using their application slips to log on to the JAMB website to check their results.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 5:01pm On Feb 27, 2011
* Home
* Newsday Weekly
* Editorial: JAMB 2008: The great gap

Editorial: JAMB 2008: The great gap

* By Site Admin
* Published 07/17/2008
* Newsday Weekly
* Rating: Unrated

On May 29, 2008, The Guardian newspaper carried a story on the number candidates who sat for this year’s Joint Administration and Matriculation Board Examination (JAMB). The number of candidates, as it concerns some states in the north, makes a very shocking reading. In fact it is disheartening, a graphic illustration of how steep the standard of education has fallen in the northern part of the country. The Guardian story disclosed that a total of 998,114 candidates wrote the JAMB exam, held across the country in April this year. The first six states with the highest number of candidates, expectedly are all from the south. They are Imo, first with 101,201 candidates, representing (9.6%) of the total. Anambra followed with 72,722 or (6.89%), Delta – 71,722 (6.73%), Edo – 60,714 (5.76%), Akwa Ibom – 52,635 (4.99%) and Abia – 49,810 (4.72%).

The last five states? As can be expected, they are all from the north. The states are Taraba from the hapless northeast with 5,582 candidates or (0.53%), Sokoto – 4,926 (0.47%), Jigawa – 3,987 (0.38%), Zamfara – 3,826 (0.36%) from the lamentable northwest, FCT – 1,726 (0.16%) and taking the rear, the very last state is another northeast state, Yobe with just 703 candidate or 0.07% of the nearly one million candidates who took the exam. Of the six states, three, namely Sokoto, Jigawa, and Zamfara are from the northwest, while the northeast has two – Taraba and Yobe. The relatively better off north central was not left out, as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) came fifth, if the area is regarded as a state.

This is the sad reality of the educational imbalance between the north and the south, particularly at the tertiary level. The real shock and dismay however, is not that the bottom six states are all from the north. No, what is really disturbing and heart-rendering is the scale of the imbalance between the two sections of the country. Just compare Imo, with over one hundred thousand candidates and Yobe with less than one thousand. Statistically speaking, for every 100 candidates from Imo state who sat for this year’s JAMB exam, there is approximately just one candidate from Yobe.

And yet the two states inhabit the same country. One sits at the top of the education ladder, the Europe or North America of Nigeria, while the other, whether it is Yobe or Zamfara gasps for air at the bottom, as if it were part of Niger Republic, our poor northern neighbour. In fact it is possible that just two states from the south- say Imo and Abia have more students who sat for the exam than the combined total from the 19 northern states. It is this bad. The north for all its size and potentialities is not pulling its weight, lest of all in the area of education.

What is happening here? It is partly a sad story of gross neglect, misplaced priorities and perhaps a disdain for or lack of appreciation of education. Another reason may be that because the north is economically poorer, parent in the region find it difficult to find the money to pay for the JAMB forms, leading to a situation in which many candidates from such poor homes are unable to write the exam.

Great societies and civilizations are built on the foundation of sound education, especially one that places special emphasis on cutting edge science and technology.

Think United State of America and Europe. See the critical role good education has played in their rapid and awesome advancement. This is why progressive and forward looking countries, aspiring to join the club of the truly developed nations of the world invest heavily in quality education, especially in the areas of science and applied sciences and information and computer technology (ICT). A good example of such country is tiny Singapore, which recently moved from the unenviable status of a developing nation to the enviable and prestigious rank of a first world, all thanks largely to a first class educational system.

Sadly, we are unable or unwilling to replicate such great facts, particularly the north. If education is central to human progress and development, it appears we are yet to fully grasp and digest this reality. In most of the states, education receives the lion share of the yearly budget and yet at the end of the day there is little to show for such huge budgetary allocations. Clearly there is a mismatch between official pronouncements and budgetary votes and the reality or the result on the ground. This calls into question the manner the education votes are spent.

Nor do we seem to get our priorities right. What is more important: Good primary and secondary school sectors that turn out a large number of qualified candidates for tertiary admissions or an under-funded and under-staffed university, perpetually searching for qualified indigenes to fill the quota reserved for them? A university’s ability to excel and stay competitive is largely dependent on the quality of the students it admits. It will be unable to fulfill this goal if the students are academically poor because they had deficient education at both the primary and secondary levels. This is why it makes more sense to place greater emphasis on the two lower levels of the system so that in the long run a university will not find it difficult to get qualified students for admission, particularly in the sciences and applied sciences.

The north has a long way to go to catch up with the south in education. In fact, the gap seems to be rapidly widening each passing day because, whereas the south sees education as a serious and important business and thus invests heavily in it, both through public and private participation, the north is not giving it adequate attention, hence the poor result, year in year out. Yet if the north desires to earnestly tackle the abject poverty in the region, provide economic opportunities for its teeming jobless youths, create a more equitable and peaceful society and become an effective player in a globalize 21st century world, then it must start paying special attention to education through infrastructural development, training and retraining of teachers, employment of more trained hands, staff incentives, judicious use of funds and serious inspection and monitoring of academic activities in schools. If this is realised, the north may be able not just to reduce the present yawning gap between it and the south, but more importantly create a better place for its people.

http://www.nasarawastate.org/articles/418/1/Editorial-JAMB-2008-The-great-gap/Page1.html
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2011
Anybody who finds any JAMB or JAMB-related article that ranks any Yoruba state above Imo and Anambra should post it. I am sure no such article is out there. Even Abia and possibly, Enugu have more JAMB intake than some Yoruba states.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2011
Visit any university/polytechnic in Nigeria and try to find out how many Igbo versus Yoruba are there
You will see that even in Unilag, UI, Ife, ABU, Unijos, etc Igbos are well represented, but the reverse is not true about Yorubas in universities outside Yorubaland
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 5:09pm On Feb 27, 2011
http://www.nigerdeltacongress.com/narticles/ndigbo_and_school_enrollment.htm

Nd'igbo and school enrollment

By

Chinedu Anekwe
Enugu, Nigeria

In the 10th of July, the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) released the results of the 2002 Universities Matriculation Examination (U.M.E.). According to JAMB Registrar, Prof. Bello Salim, 1,007,326 had completed and returned their admission forms to the Board out of which 975,060 candidates sat for the examination.

Giving a breakdown of the entries, Prof. Salim said Imo State presented the highest number of 95,984 or 9.84 per cent of the total entry. Delta State is the runner-up with 80,448 or 8.25 per cent while Anambra State came third with 64,296 or 6.59 per cent. Edo, Ogun and Ondo had 61,897 (6.37 per cent), 54,272(5.6 per cent) and 46,592 (4.7 per cent) applicants respectively, to occupy the third to sixth positions. States with the lowest number of applicants for UME included Borno with 4,358 , Taraba with 2,934 , Katsina 2,530 , Kebbi 2,438 (0.24 per cent), Zamfara 2,169 (0.22 per cent) and Yobe having 1,178 (0.12 per cent). The entries of Imo and Anambra States alone
amounted to a total of 160,280 or 16.43 per cent of the total entry, with the remaining 34 states and the F.C.T. making do with the remaining 83.27 per cent.

It should be noted, for the sake of emphasis, that Imo and Anambra States are in South-East Nigeria while Igbos make up about a quarter of the population of Delta State. Igbos in Delta State can be found in Agbor, Anioma, Asaba, Ibuzo, Ndokwa, Ogwashi Uku,
Okpanam, Oshimili, etc.

For long, there has been this erroneous notion created in the Nigerian media that the quest for intellectual improvement by sons and daughters of Igboland has been poor in recent times. However, statistics from JAMB and the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) as regards the registration of candidates from different states of the federation points to the contrary. The trend as regards the registration of JAMB students in the last five years has shown that the Igbo rank tops. In 2001 U.M.E. entries, according to states of origin, Imo State equally took the first position. It is equally noteworthy that the first position for the 2002 U.M.E. JAMB examination went to John Uchenna Efidi of Ebonyi State who scored 326. Chike Collins-Gregory Ndive from Anambra State came second
with a score of 325 while Henry Tolulope Jibodu and Ashimuyi Babatunde Durojaiye (both of Lagos State) jointly took the third position by scoring 319.

The truth of the matter is that there have been drop in male enrolment in schools in Anambra and Abia States due to the commercial nature of the states. Young boys in these states who see their mates doing business and who seem to be "making it" (in the short run though) tend to abandon school for business. That notwithstanding, these states still have many of their indigenes spread across different parts of the country, likewise other Igbo states.

Writing in an article on the Back page of Thisday Newspaper of 25th March 2002, Olusegun Adeniyi stated inter alia : ", a region (South East) where most young people are driven by the urge to make money with little or no value attached to mental self
improvement". This can no longer be accepted by Ndi Igbo. It is an intimidation of the Igbo race. Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu complained of this intimidation of in an interview with Newswatch Magazine of April 8, 2002. On page 29 he said: "I
found that there is an orchestrated attempt at intimidating the Igbo with their own shortcomings. And these are shortcomings that are rampant across the entire country".

A halt must be put to this mixture of tribal sentiments to obfuscate crystal clear facts. Just to digress a little, we all saw the kind of encomiums that was poured on the Nigerian coaching crew to the Japan/Korea World Cup even though it is visible that that coaching crew were inept. Just because the head of that crew comes from a particular section of the country. I thank Mr. Emeka Odikpo of Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) for putting facts in their proper perspective in the July 13 edition of "Sports Spectacular" on Radio Nigeria. Did Onigbinde perform at the World Cup? Odikpo's Verdict: CAPITAL NO.

In conclusion therefore, I think the onus now lies on the objective press and Igbo sons and daughters in the media to correct this erroneous claim, now given life and which seems to have worn the garb of validity. As the Igbo would say, "aru gbaa afo, o ghoo omenala" (when an abomination lasts for a year, it becomes a
norm).

Sept 2002
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by kildran: 5:18pm On Feb 27, 2011
@st funmi
If u present any graded wok lik dis u go failllll o, no supportin data!!!! I dnt kno abt female education{I do howeva kno dt there r more yoruba boys in skool} Yorubas hardly send their kids 2 b apprentices.
@Ramon2
Yu mayb rite, because yorubas hardly patronis public univs these days. Just go 2 d UK and see hw yorubas don fill dem skool up. Look at d uni crisis in d SE and ask y d same isn't in d SW.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by excanny: 5:28pm On Feb 27, 2011
Ramnon.2:

What is happening here? It is partly a sad story of gross neglect, misplaced priorities and perhaps a disdain for or lack of appreciation of education. Another reason may be that because the north is economically poorer, parent in the region find it difficult to find the money to pay for the JAMB forms, leading to a situation in which many candidates from such poor homes are unable to write the exam.

I totally agree with the writer on this one.

Exactly the same reasons I gave earlier for the discrepancies.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by kildran: 5:42pm On Feb 27, 2011
@ excan
You r quotin a 10 yrold data 2 butress 2day's fact! People who study statistics wil tel u dis data is irrelevant, because it dosnt tak in2 acount hw d population is weighed. Bt den dis is probly their best showin at d exam.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by kildran: 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2011
imagine 18 private unis in d SW to 2 in d SE.
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 6:05pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kildran

Please list the 18 private unis in the SW and the 2 in the SE. Define what you mean by private uni and state how many students are in those unis. Get the state of origin of those students
That way you are making a complete story
In Aba alone, there are more than 3 private unis
Take for e.g. lead university in Ibadan which was unapproved and yet went to market recruiting students
Did you know of the Catholic University in Abia state?
Did you know of Rhema University in Aba?

Many of those private unis, SE or SW, are mostly fake, just duping students of their money. Most lecturers there are not qualified to teach in community colleges
Every dick Tom and Harry wakes up and opens a university and you brag with that?
Re: Awo's Legacy: A Blessing Or Curse To Yorubas? by Ramnon2: 6:09pm On Feb 27, 2011
Kildran
Yoruba hardly patronize public unis? This one is a big fat lie.

Come to the US and see Igbo students compared to Yoruba
Go to Germany and Singapore, South Africa just to mention a few, the story is the same
Go to Ghana, our neighbour, the story is similar. Igbos beat Yoruba everywhere

UK has lost attraction as a destination for Niaja student because of cost consideration
Nigerians now even go as far as Australia, Philippines, Canada etc to study
Moreover, an average Yoruba family is poorer than an average Igbo family
So you cannot claim to be able to go study abroad more than the Igbo
If you claim so, please provide the proof.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Corruption Works In Countries Like The USA! / “obasanjo Caused All The Problems We Are Facing In Nigeria Today” – Orji Kalu / Photo: Lamido Sanusi’s 53 Years Old Rolls Royce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.