Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,927 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. (60949 Views)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier - 1 - 0 (Full Time) / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) / Korea DPR Vs Nigeria 3 - 0 :FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:27am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Women Champions League Wrap : Asisat Oshoala Makes Debut; Ogonna Chukwudi And Sarah Michael Win With KIF Orebro
[/size]

A llnigeriasoccer.comreviews the performances of Nigerian players that were in action in the UEFA Women’s Champions League on Wednesday night.
Swedish side KIF örebro are favourites to qualify for the next round of the competition after thrashing PAOK 3 - 0 at the Stadio Toumbas (Thessaloníki) in the last 32, first leg tie.
Super Falcons starsOgonna ChukwudiandSarah Michaelplayed the full game but were not amongst the scorers.
Asisat Oshoalamade her maiden appearance in the Champions League, coming on immediately after the intermission as Liverpool lost 1 - 0 to Brescia at Stadio Mario Rigamonti.
On two occasions, the current African Women’s Footballer of the Year tried to conjure an equalizer but Three Lionesses striker Natasha Dowie fluffed her lines or the pass was intercepted .
Since Asisat Oshoala’s return from injury, she has played three games in all competitions.
On Thursday,Ngozi Ebere’s Paris St Germain are guests to Olimpia Universitatea in Romania whileEniola Alukoand her Chelsea teammates host Glasgow City.
[/b]

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=16510
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:28am On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Oshoala Excited After Making Champions League Debut
[/size]

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:
Super Falcons and Liverpool FC striker Asisat Oshoala has expressed satisfaction with her debut performance in the UEFA Women's Champions League game against Brescia.
Oshoala, who had been sidelined by injury for over two months, returned to the Liverpool Ladies squad and featured for 44 minutes as a second half substitute in their 1-0 away loss to the Italian side on Wednesday.
"I am happy and satisfied with my performance considering the fact that I have been out of the game for almost three months due to injury. It is a pity we lost the game but I am sure we will bounce back," Oshoala told Comple tesportsnigeria.com on the telephone from England.
"We gave the game our best but luck was not on our side. We hope to bounce back by winning our remaining games and progress. Brescia were lucky to beat us, it could have gone either way."
Oshoala who missed Super Falcons Olympic Games qualifier against Equatorial Guinea due to injury regretted Nigeria's exit but expressed confidence that the Falcons will remain the best team in the continent.
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/oshoala-excited-after-making-champions-league-debut/
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by denniece1(m): 1:15pm On Oct 10, 2015
Other Nigerians that were in action includes: onome ebi, otuwe, Esther Sunday, uchechi sunday (Minsk), chi chi Igbo (fortuna) and Evelyn nwabuoku, adule charity (KIIK)

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 7:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
W’Cup qualifier: Falconets’ll beat DR Congo, says Omidiji
[/size]

By Idris Adesina
As Nigeria’s U-20 women’s national team takes on their counterparts from the Democratic Republic of Congo on Saturday in a 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup qualifier, Falconets’ forward, Sophia Omidiji, has said the team will ensure that they emerge victorious in the match.
Nigeria will go into the second leg of their fixture with DR Congo, which will hold in Abuja, with a 2-1 lead from the first leg, which was played in Kinshasa a fortnight ago. Goals from Chinwendu Ihezuo and Chinasa Uchendu gave the Peter Dedevbo-led team the advantage.
But Omidiji toldSaturday PUNCHthat the team would not underrate their opponents as they hope to qualify for the World Cup, which will hold in Papua New Guinea.
“We are working hard for the Congo match,” the forward said.
“The spirit in the camp is awesome as the coaches and players are doing all we need to do for the match. We will do Nigeria proud this weekend.
“Not only that, we will ensure that we do our best to win other matches and qualify for the World Cup.”
Meanwhile, coach of the team, Dedevbo, said his girls would not take the Congolese for granted.
“I have a philosophy, which is to respect every team and not to fear any, and also that it is never over until it is over. We have won the first leg 2-1; there is still a second leg to play to determine the winner on aggregate,” Dedevbo told thenff.com.
[/b]

www.punchng.com/sports/wcup-qualifier-falconetsll-beat-dr-congo-says-omidiji/
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 7:45pm On Oct 10, 2015
denniece1:
Other Nigerians that were in action includes: onome ebi, otuwe, Esther Sunday, uchechi sunday (Minsk), chi chi Igbo (fortuna) and Evelyn nwabuoku, adule charity (KIIK)
We can also refer to our Super Falcons as a Golden Generation that failed to fulfil her potentials, though still better than The Ivorians because in the Case of the Super Falcons, her generation has shone brilliantly at the continental level. At the World level we are yet to get to the pinnacle, looking at the calibre of stars we have.
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 10, 2015
The Falconets defeated DR Congo 2-0; winning the tie 4-1 on aggregate. Chinwendu Ihezuo scored both goals in the 7th and 55th minutes of the game. The Falconets have now won 23 consecutive U-20 WC qualifying matches since 2006. shocked

They'll now face South Africa in the next round, with the winner of the 2-legged tie qualifying for the U-20 World Cup.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:32am On Oct 11, 2015
CFCfan:
The Falconets defeated DR Congo 2-0; winning the tie 4-1 on aggregate. Chinwendu Ihezuo scored both goals in the 7th and 55th minutes of the game. The Falconets have now won 23 consecutive U-20 WC qualifying matches since 2006. shocked

They'll now face South Africa in the next round, with the winner of the 2-legged tie qualifying for the U-20 World Cup.
Am sorry to say but I just have to say it out loud, our football is gradually fading away, the Glory days if not properly manage will disappear into very thin air. The score line doesn't speak so well about us, looking at our pedigree as regards women football on the continent. 2:0 against Congo is not encouraging, knowing fully well that they are a weak opposition, and our strikers had to rely on diffensive mix up to score, kaiiiiii!!!
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:34am On Oct 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
AF Nigeria South Africa - Women
Falconets beat DRC, battle SA or Zambia for World Cup place
[/size]

Nigeria U20 women’s team, the Falconets, have qualified for the final round of the African qualifying series for the 2016 FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup, courtesy of a 4-1 aggregate defeat of their counterparts from the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Falconets, runner-up of the last edition of the competition, will now take on the winners of the fixture between South Africa and Zambia, for a place at the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup finals in Papua New Guinea.
The 2012 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup top goalscorer Chinwendu Ihezuo was the heroine of the two legs, scoring both goals in Abuja on Saturday, to add to her goal in Kinshasa two weeks ago, when Nigeria beat the hosts 2-1.
Ihezuo scored her first after only seven minutes at the National Stadium, Abuja, when she capitalised on a defensive mistake by the Congolese and raced unchallenged to slot the ball past goalkeeper Kashala Khonde.
The Congolese refused to be deterred, and played impressively with the petite Salu Lengi, Monique Kipoy and Joelle Muadi showing good skills.However, the game was all but over after only five minutes into the second half, when Ihezuo again capitalised on a defensive error by the Congolese off a long ball, and held on to secure her brace.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/574961/Falconets-beat-DRC-battle-SA-or-Zambia-for-World-Cup-place

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2015
terzurum5:

We can also refer to our Super Falcons as a Golden Generation that failed to fulfil her potentials, though still better than The Ivorians because in the Case of the Super Falcons, her generation has shone brilliantly at the continental level. At the World level we are yet to get to the pinnacle, looking at the calibre of stars we have.

The current Super Falcons to me have nt failed yet. They are a Young team most of them ranging from 20 - 24 yrs. The expectation on dem at d last Women World Cup was too high especially from those that are nt really followers of d women game. I for one never expected the Falcons to qualify from dat group. They escaped with d only 1pt which I predicted they were capable of getting.

For their failure to qualify for d Olympic games: (1) The women game has greatly improved in Africa as other countries are now doing well. (2) 4Key players were absent from d 2 legged fixture.

And for d All African games they messed up big time.Though most of the foreign players were absent, I expected them to still win d Gold medal bt as I said before the Women game in África has improved.

This is the youngest crop of Super Falcons ever produced and I believe they are on d ascendency. The other problem bedevilling d team now is the coaches. They should bring back madam Eucharia Uche.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:00pm On Oct 11, 2015
Icon4s:

The current Super Falcons to me have nt failed yet. They are a Young team most of them ranging from 20 - 24 yrs. The expectation on dem at d last Women World Cup was too high especially from those that are nt really followers of d women game. I for one never expected the Falcons to qualify from dat group. They escaped with d only 1pt which I predicted they were capable of getting.

For their failure to qualify for d Olympic games: (1) The women game has greatly improved in Africa as other countries are now doing well. (2) 4Key players were absent from d 2 legged fixture.

And for d All African games they messed up big time.Though most of the foreign players were absent, I expected them to still win d Gold medal bt as I said before the Women game in África has improved.

This is the youngest crop of Super Falcons ever produced and I believe they are on d ascendency. The other problem bedevilling d team now is the coaches. They should bring back madam Eucharia Uche.
I prefer Coach Edwin Okon to Eucharia Uche. I had expected the NFF to retain him after the World Cup and if possible, send him on refresher courses but to no avail.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:49pm On Oct 11, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Basetsana Progress In U20WC Qualifiers
U20 Women’s World Cup Qualifier: South Africa 3-2 Zambia
[/size]

U20 Women's World Cup Qualifier
Result:South Africa 3-2 Zambia
Date:10 October 2015
Venue:Makhulong Stadium
The South African U20 Women’s National Team moved to the next round of World Cup qualifiers, after they defeated Zambia 3-2 in their second leg tie on Saturday.
The home side opened the scoring after just 17 seconds when Linda Motlahlo controlled well in the box, before firing a low effort into the bottom corner.
Zambia nearly hit back in the fourth minute when Babara Banda weaved her way into the box, but he effort sailed just over the crossbar.
The visitors saw more of the ball as the half went and created another opening in the 30th minute but Hele Chanda's header sailed wide of the upright.
Basetsana goalkeeper, Mapaseka Mpuru, came to her side's rescue in the 41st minute when she rushed off her line to deny Lweendo Chisamu in a one-on-one situation.
The hosts nearly doubled their advantage just before the halftime break, but Motlahlo's effort from the edge of the area sailed agonisingly wide of the post.
Zambia leveled matters shortly after the halftime break when Banda sprung the offside trap, before calmly slotting past the on-rushing Mpuru.
However, Basetsana restored their lead in the 56th minute when Lorraine Makhoali flicked the ball past her marker, before calmly poking past Hazel Nali from 12-yards out.
The visitors found themselves level just two minutes later when Agnes Musesa lacthed onto a pass from Chisamu to slot into an empty net.
However, the home did not give up there and took the lead once again in the 73rd minute when Motlhalo controlled on her chest, before volleying the ball into the top corner. Similar to Mandla Masango's goal at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
Mpuru came to the home side's rescue in the 87th minute, as she pulled off a fine save to deny Martha Tembo from 12-yards out.
Basetsana held on for the win and have now progressed to the third and final round of qualifiers.
[/b]

www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/articles/categories/banyana/u20-women-s-world-cup-qualifier-south-africa-3-2-zambia-10-october-2015/219293
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:51pm On Oct 11, 2015
[size=14pt]
Basetsana To Face Nigeria In U20 WC Qualifiers
[/size]

The South African U20 Women’s National Team will face Nigeria in the final round of U20 World Cup qualifiers.
Basetsana secured a thrilling 3-2 win over Zambia on Saturday to book their spot in the third and final round of qualifiers.
The South Africans will face Nigeria's Falcons, who finished in second spot at the previous U20 World Cup in 2014.
Nigeria booked their spot in the final of round of qualifiers, after they secured a 4-1 aggregate win over Democratic Republic of Congo.
The Falcons will hosts Basetsana in the first leg on Saturday, 24 October, before returning to South Africa for second leg two weeks later.
The winner of this two-legged affair will secure a spot at next year's World Cup, which is set to be held in Papua New Guinea.

www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/articles/categories/banyana/basetsana-to-face-nigeria-in-u20-world-cup-qualifiers/219319
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 6:04am On Oct 13, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2016 Women World: Glo salutes Falconets
[/size]

Major sponsor of the Nigeria national football teams, Globacom, has congratulated the Nigerian women U-20 team, the Falconets after they defeated their Congo Democratic Republic counterparts 2-0 in the second round, second leg match for the FIFA Women U-20 World Cup billed for Papua, New Guinea in 2016.
The Falconets, who chalked up a 4-1 aggregate win after beating the Congolese 2-0 in the reverse fixture at Abuja National Stadium on Saturday, will now meet Basetsana of South Africa in the final round of the African qualifiers.
“We are delighted with the convincing win by the Falconets, especially after we earlier expressed our belief in the team to fly over their opponents,” Globacom said in a statement in Lagos yesterday.
“The victory, coming at a time that our national women football needed fresh boost after recent run of bad results, made it more glorious,” the statement added. It stressed: “These Falconets have demonstrated their desire and capability to be the future Super Falcons.”
The next generation network also commended on the team’s technical crew for what it called a job well executed.
“We enjoin the coaching crew not to rest on their oars until the ticket to Papua, New Guinea is firmly secured,” the statement further said.
“We also urge the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to do everything to motivate the players ahead of the final round of the qualifiers.”
The Falconets will host the first leg of the final qualifier against the South Africans on Saturday October 24th at the National Stadium, Abuja while the return leg will come up in Johannesburg on the 7th of November.
[/b]

sunnewsonline.com/new/2016-women-world-glo-salutes-falconets/
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 4:56pm On Oct 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: My only desire is to play for Nigeria – US-born Falconets striker Sophia Omidiji
[/size]

The FC Eindhoven striker has been called up for Nigeria's Fifa U20 Women’s WC qualifiers and shares her aspirations and what it meant to make her debut in the country's colours
FC Eindhoven of Holland striker Omidiji Sophia, who was recently called up for Nigeria's Fifa U20 Women's World Cup qualifiers by coach Peter Dedevbo, spoke exclusively withGoalafter the Falconets’ victory against DR Congo in Abuja on Saturday. She relishes bringing her speed, strength and killer instincts in front of goal to bear.
In this interview, the 18-year-old, who was snapped up by the Eredivisie women outfit in August 2015 from the USA, hopes to impress even better than Courtney Dike did at the 2014 Fifa U20 Women's World Cup in Canada. Omidiji netted a record 38 goals in her final season with Las Vegas Premier Sports Academy before she sealed her move to Holland. Now she's got the chance to play for her fatherland, the elated US-born Nigerian had this attention-grabbing chat with Goal’s correspondent Samuel Ahmadu.
Goal: Can you tell us about yourself and your family background?
Sophia Omidiji: I'm 18. I was born on June 18, 1997 and raised in the United States and currently play for FC Eindhoven in the Netherlands. Nothing I have accomplished in life so far comes close to wearing those colours and I intend to make the nation proud. My father Lateef Omidiji was born and raised in Lagos, but is an indigene of Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria while my grandfather- Bili is also an indigene of Abeokuta, Ogun State but was born and raised in Iju Ota in Ado/Ota Local Government Area. My middle name is Omotola and I've got three younger brothers - Lateef Jr, Rasheed and Amir. I've been playing since I was 6. I played for Las Vegas Premier Sports Academy from 2013-2015. In August this year, I got signed up by FC Eindhoven women team in the Netherlands after going on trial with Ado Den Haag Vroumen team. I'm yet to play for FC Eindhoven due to my call-up to the national team after I signed for the club. I'm expected back in Holland after the U20 Women's World Cup qualifiers.
Goal: You will be playing alongside top-rated Nigerian players like Chinwedu Ihezuo and others, are you ready to prove yourself as a quality striker among them?
SO: I joined the team in September and it's been the greatest honour of my life. I see myself getting better and improving with every practice and training. What I'll bring are the skills I learned in the States, mixed with the technical skills my Dutch coach emphasizes and the teaching of coach Peter Dedevbo and the other great coaches we have on the team. I've shown in training that I'm strong, not afraid of the physical part of the game. I'm just as fast and I'm very technical, because I'm a short player, my coaches in the tates focused on the technical part of my game, tactical as well so I'm confident that I will be an asset to the team. Chinwendu is a great player as evidenced with her goal tally - I've often told her that she can play anywhere in the world because she's that good.
Goal: How did you secure an invitation and why did you accept to play for the Nigeria?
SO: I received a call-up from the Nigeria Football Federation as someone within the organization had seen me play. Loved the way I play - small player yes but technical, fast and great finisher and I believe I can contribute to the success of this great team because this great nation deserves a World Cup trophy.
Goal: What influenced your choice of playing for Nigeria?
SO: What influenced my joining the Falconets is my love for Nigeria. It is my love for my fatherland and my desire to serve Nigeria. There are many Nigerians abroad that choose to play with the country they were born in. But for me, I've had only one desire and that's to play for the greatest nation on earth and that's Nigeria. I am here now, hopefully my practice and play gets me the opportunity to play and when I start to play, hope I impress, but I am very confident in my abilities and the coaches I've had over the years.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2015/10/12/16235962/exclusive-my-only-desire-is-to-play-for-nigeria-us-born
.....Read more in the next post
CC: Icon4s, Icon4ss, orkpekyandega, CFCfan, enomakos, jieta, denniece1, humberjade, Danycrusoe, etc.
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:04pm On Oct 15, 2015
........continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
EXCLUSIVE: My only desire is to play for Nigeria – US-born Falconets striker Sophia Omidiji
[/size]

Goal: Tell us about your club career and move to FC Eindhoven?
SO: I played high school football for Sierra Vista High School from 2011-2014 becoming the all-time leading goal scorer for the school and leading the school to the playoffs in every year I played at the school including the school's first ever regional/State/NIAA Southern Nevada final. And I also played for Las Vegas Premier Sports Academy from 2013-2015.I had a chance to play college in the United States, even received a few offers in Canada but recieved a few offers in Europe from Ado den Haag in Holland to KAA Gent in Belgium. I accepted to go for FC Eindhoven to develop myself, compete and feature in UEFA women club competitions.
Goal: How do you find your teammates and U20 women national team's head coach in the Falconets?
SO: Wow, those are my sisters, the coaches are my uncles. I'm an only girl in my family. I have gained new sisters. Coach Peter I think is one of the best I've ever worked with. My coaches in Holland are former Dutch internationals with all sorts of licenses, my coach in the United States is also highly respected but coach Peter hands down is the best I've ever worked with. I'm a Lagos girl. My dad is a Lagos man, my grandparents although originally from Abeokuta are Lagos people too, so they taught me the mentality early and visiting Lagos as we have homes there has made me tough. I love the look on their faces on day one when they saw this American-born Nigerian throw down pounded yam andefo[vegetable soup]. I grew up on 'okele' [swallow meals], love jollof,eba,iyan,amala. My grandmother and mom put that as a must on the menu.
Goal: Who are your Nigerian women role models since you've been following in the country's football?
SO: Mercy Akide, she's an idol and she's amazing. She is a legend. I have never met her nor do I know her, I just admire her. I'm old school, yes we have great players like [Asisat] Oshoala on the national team but I love our pioneers.
Goal: How much do you know about Nigeria - its culture and people?
SO: If you ask a kid of my age who their favourite musician is, they'll say Wizkid and Eldee and I love those guys too but I'm greatly influenced by my dad and grandpa who love Barrister and Kollington. So I love the old school and love to give credit to those that paved the way, just as you can't mention Nigerian football without talking about Rasheed Yekini. Every year when I come to Lagos with my family, I see opposite of what they paint us abroad. I see hardworking people. I see God-fearing people. I see people who are very passionate about the sport that I love. I see people that are very passionate about our great country.

Goal: How are you looking forward to your first cap if given a chance to play in the final round of the qualifier against South Africa?
SO: I believe I can compete with any girl I've ever played with if given an opportunity. First immediate task is to qualify for the World Cup because nothing would be greater than qualifying and bringing smiles to my people and we're being prepared for that. Then win the U20 Women's World Cup. The goal isn't to participate, but the goal is to win. And I know we have the coaching staff, experienced and amazing players and the support of the nation.
Goal: What was your assessment of your team's performance in the second leg, second round qualifier against DR Congo last weekend at the National Stadium, Abuja?
SO:Absolutely, I was satisfied with the way we played. Our defence was amazing; our goalkeeper impeccable, our midfield controlled the game and our strikers and attackers did amazing. You know back in the days, we would run over most teams in Africa but African teams are starting to catch up, there are no easy games even for our men so we did great and all credit is due to the coaching staff.
[/b]

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4078/exclusives/2015/10/12/16235962/exclusive-my-only-desire-is-to-play-for-nigeria-us-born
CC: Icon4s, Icon4ss, Orkpekyandega, CFCfan, enomakos, jieta, denniece1, humberjade, Danycrusoe, etc.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:06pm On Oct 15, 2015
.......continue from the last post
[b][size=14pt]
[/size]

Goal: What will you tell your teammates going into the final round of the qualifying series and World Cup?
SO: In the final round, I think as long as we play to our coach's instructions and don't forget our head coach is a FIFA coach of the year nominee, so the pedigree is there, if we play to our coach's instructions, no team can stop us. Same at the World Cup, where we have Europe, Asia and the Americas waiting on us as long as we play to the instructions of the very capable coach Peter - we will achieve our aims. We have the players with experience from U17 and U20 World Cup and we have the coaches. And we have the support of 170 million Nigerians- by the grace of God, we will do you proud. Coach Peter and his staff are the best coaches I've ever worked with. We dominate every country in Africa, we just need to start dominating the world.
Goal: What are your long term plans as a female football player with great potentials and prospect?
SO: When I'm done with playing football, I want to give back to my country. My long term goal is to own a professional women team in Nigeria. I'm going to take coaching classes in England and get licensed as a UEFA coach, get USSF licenses and coach at some point in the future.

[/b]

CC: Icon4s, Icon4ss, orkpekyandega, CFCfan, enomakos, jieta, denniece1, humberjade, Danycrusoe, etc.
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:10pm On Oct 15, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Belgian-Born Striker Awelewa Eyes Falconets Call-Up
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
SK Herkenrode Nigerian striker, Valerie ​​Awelewa, is eager to follow in the footsteps of Courtney Dike to represent Nigeria at U-20 level with the Falconets.
The Belgian-born 18-year-old forward who is currently the top scorer in the lower-tier Belgian Women’s League with 14 goals in five matches told Compl etesportnigeria.com she prefers playing for Nigeria rather than Belgium.
Awelewa emerged top scorer in the Belgian women’s league last season with 32 goals and is eager to get a chance to prove her mettle in Peter Devdebo’s Falconets squad who recently qualified for the final round of the African qualifying series for the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.
“I’ve always dreamed about playing for Nigeria,” Awelewa said. “I never really thought about playing for Belgium. I consider Nigeria as my country and I would like to do something for my count​r​y and that is playing there.”
She also admitted that Liverpool Ladies forward Asisat Oshoala remains one of her best stars in the Super Falcons.
“I admire Asisat Oshoala because I like her playing style. She scores nice goals and is hungry for the ball,” she told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
Awelewa, who missed out on a chance to sign to Jupiler side Anderlecht this summer, was also in the Super Eagles camp in Brussels to meet the team.
She added: “It was really nice. I loved how some players were really friendly as well as the officials. To be honest I didn’t expect that. This really motivated me more to play for Nigeria.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/belgian-born-striker-awelewa-eyes-falconets-call-up/
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 5:52pm On Oct 15, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Belgian-Born Striker Awelewa Eyes Falconets Call-Up
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
SK Herkenrode Nigerian striker, Valerie ​​Awelewa, is eager to follow in the footsteps of Courtney Dike to represent Nigeria at U-20 level with the Falconets.
The Belgian-born 18-year-old forward who is currently the top scorer in the lower-tier Belgian Women’s League with 14 goals in five matches told Compl etesportnigeria.com she prefers playing for Nigeria rather than Belgium.
Awelewa emerged top scorer in the Belgian women’s league last season with 32 goals and is eager to get a chance to prove her mettle in Peter Devdebo’s Falconets squad who recently qualified for the final round of the African qualifying series for the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.
“I’ve always dreamed about playing for Nigeria,” Awelewa said. “I never really thought about playing for Belgium. I consider Nigeria as my country and I would like to do something for my count​r​y and that is playing there.”
She also admitted that Liverpool Ladies forward Asisat Oshoala remains one of her best stars in the Super Falcons.
“I admire Asisat Oshoala because I like her playing style. She scores nice goals and is hungry for the ball,” she told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.
Awelewa, who missed out on a chance to sign to Jupiler side Anderlecht this summer, was also in the Super Eagles camp in Brussels to meet the team.
She added: “It was really nice. I loved how some players were really friendly as well as the officials. To be honest I didn’t expect that. This really motivated me more to play for Nigeria.”
[/b]

www.completesportsnigeria.com/belgian-born-striker-awelewa-eyes-falconets-call-up/

Could this b another Courtney Dikeh. Belgian female football is nt among d best in Europe bt lets give this girl a trial. Who knows....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 3:20am On Oct 16, 2015
They look like good additions to the team

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Tomtoxic: 9:54am On Oct 16, 2015
the Sophia girl is already in the team the Belgian girl should be given a chance in the team as the team lacks a clinical striker

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Danycrusoe(m): 5:28pm On Oct 16, 2015
Looking Forward To See A New CourtNey DiKe. G Still Wish EnIOla AlUKo Chose Nigeria Over England

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Kennedyiheme: 6:00pm On Oct 16, 2015
How many times will chiwendu ihezuo play for under 20? If I'm not wrong this is her 3rd time

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 17, 2015
Kennedyiheme:
How many times will chiwendu ihezuo play for under 20? If I'm not wrong this is her 3rd time
This is her 2nd stint with the team. She only played for the U-17s in 2012.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Kennedyiheme: 10:08am On Oct 17, 2015
CFCfan:

This is her 2nd stint with the team. She only played for the U-17s in 2012.
what about igbinovia? Is she participating? Dt girl is really talented
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by lakesidepapa(m): 11:21am On Oct 17, 2015
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Basetsana Progress In U20WC Qualifiers
U20 Women’s World Cup Qualifier: South Africa 3-2 Zambia
[/size]

U20 Women's World Cup Qualifier
Result:South Africa 3-2 Zambia
Date:10 October 2015
Venue:Makhulong Stadium
The South African U20 Women’s National Team moved to the next round of World Cup qualifiers, after they defeated Zambia 3-2 in their second leg tie on Saturday.
The home side opened the scoring after just 17 seconds when Linda Motlahlo controlled well in the box, before firing a low effort into the bottom corner.
Zambia nearly hit back in the fourth minute when Babara Banda weaved her way into the box, but he effort sailed just over the crossbar.
The visitors saw more of the ball as the half went and created another opening in the 30th minute but Hele Chanda's header sailed wide of the upright.
Basetsana goalkeeper, Mapaseka Mpuru, came to her side's rescue in the 41st minute when she rushed off her line to deny Lweendo Chisamu in a one-on-one situation.
The hosts nearly doubled their advantage just before the halftime break, but Motlahlo's effort from the edge of the area sailed agonisingly wide of the post.
Zambia leveled matters shortly after the halftime break when Banda sprung the offside trap, before calmly slotting past the on-rushing Mpuru.
However, Basetsana restored their lead in the 56th minute when Lorraine Makhoali flicked the ball past her marker, before calmly poking past Hazel Nali from 12-yards out.
The visitors found themselves level just two minutes later when Agnes Musesa lacthed onto a pass from Chisamu to slot into an empty net.
However, the home did not give up there and took the lead once again in the 73rd minute when Motlhalo controlled on her chest, before volleying the ball into the top corner. Similar to Mandla Masango's goal at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
Mpuru came to the home side's rescue in the 87th minute, as she pulled off a fine save to deny Martha Tembo from 12-yards out.
Basetsana held on for the win and have now progressed to the third and final round of qualifiers.
[/b]

www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/articles/categories/banyana/u20-women-s-world-cup-qualifier-south-africa-3-2-zambia-10-october-2015/219293

South africa go chop am, they are thinking they have moved steps ahead of us in women football with the olympic qualification they used us to qualify but this time my falconets will wipe the hell out of their under 20s
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by BlackAlbino6(m): 7:24pm On Oct 17, 2015
lakesidepapa:

South africa go chop am, they are thinking they have moved steps ahead of us in women football with the olympic qualification they used us to qualify but this time my falconets will wipe the hell out of their under 20s
Who told you so?
Falconets lack prolific strikers, that team can't score. Its a pity, how they always struggle even against weaker oppositions.
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:27pm On Oct 17, 2015
lakesidepapa:

Which of the Olympic Qualifiers please? In the just concluded 2016 Olympicsqualifiers, it was Guinea that made us not to qualify. Check your facks please.
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:31am On Oct 23, 2015
[size=14pt]
Unuanel hails Falconets
[/size]
Abuja - Coach Samson Unuanel has praised the Peter Dedevbo tutored Nigeria U20 side after they boosted their 2016 World Cup qualification hopes with a 4-1 aggregate victory over DR Congo girls in Abuja.

A goal in each half from in-form Delta Queens striker completed a double swoop for the Falconets who also won 2-1 in Kinshasa in the first leg encounter.

The Falconets sealed qualification to the final round of next year's finals to be hosted by Papua New Guinea after winning 2-0 in front of less than 500 fans on Saturday.

Nigeria made it through on a 4-1 aggregate score line after beating DR Congo 2-1 in the first leg encounter a fortnight ago in Kinshasa.

m.news24.com/nigeria/Sport/Football/Unuanel-hails-Falconets-20151013
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 12:32am On Oct 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Falode hails Falconets
[/size]
By Anyaegbu Mary-Jane

Foremost Women’s Sportscaster and Chairperson Of Inneh Queens FC Of Benin City, Aisha Falode, has hailed the qualification of the Women’s U20 National team side, the Falconets for the final round of the World Cup.
[img]http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/fifa-suspension-falode-pleads-common-sense/aishafalode/[/img]
*Aisha Falode

The Falconets it would be recalled defeated Congo DR 2-1 away from home and won the return leg in Abuja last weekend 2-0, for a 4-1 aggregate win. That has gladdened the heart of Falode, who noted that the lasses have the capacity to go all the way and even win the World Cup.

The Falconets were runners-up at the last U-20 championship.
Falode said she was delighted that despite the poor organization and running of the Nigeria Women’s league, the Falconets through share determination and zeal were able to come this far in its bid to qualify for the World Cup.

She added that she was doubly sure that the team will overhaul South Africa over two legs to qualify for the World Cup proper and urged the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation to continue to extend its support to the Falconets.
[/b]

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/falode-hails-falconets/

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:36am On Oct 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Lawson tells Falconets to go past South Africa hurdle
[/size]
Abuja - Players of the U20 women's national team have been encouraged to get a good first leg result against South Africa in Saturday's 2016 FIFA U20 Women's World Cup final qualifying round clash in Abuja.

Coach Tunde Lawson on Sunday tasked the Falconets to ensure victory but reminded them of the need not to get complacent in their quest for glory.

Nigeria, chasing a 7th appearance at the finals will host the Basetsana in a first leg battle at the Abuja Stadium in a tie between two giants of African football on Saturday.

“South Africa is our last hurdle. We need victory and if there is any hurdle, we have to beat them,” the 2012 National Sports Festival winning coach told News24.

“We accounted for their elimination in the 2014 qualifiers, so we should expect resilient performance from them this time around. I'm sure the coaches are aware of that.”

“The Falconets have the arsenal to qualify at the tournament in Papua New Guinea. They have to earn the rights on the field of play. I wish them the best,” the coach added.

The return leg is expected to come up in at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa on 7th November as the aggregate winner qualifies for next year's finals in Papua New Guinea.
[/b]

m.news24.com/nigeria/Sport/Football/Lawson-tells-Falconets-to-go-past-South-Africa-hurdle-20151019
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by terzurum5(m): 5:42am On Oct 23, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Women’s U-20 World Cup Qualifier: Falconets plan to beat South Africa, says Head Coach
[/size]

Falcons

Head Coach of the Falconets, Peter Dedevbo, says the team is prepared to beat the Basetsana of South Africa in the final qualifying round of the 2016 Women’s U-20 World Cup in Papua New Guinea.

Dedevbo made this known in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday during the team’s training session at the FIFA goal project pitch, Abuja.

The Falconets are expected to host their familiar foes, South Africa, on Oct. 24 at the Abuja National Stadium for the first leg of the fixture with the return leg billed for Johannesburg two weeks later.

“We are almost rounding up our preparations; as you can see, we are about to start our training for the day.

“Our team is ready awaiting South Africa.

“Our plan is to qualify for the World Cup. We are going to win here; (we are going to) beat South Africa here.

“South Africa has always been our opponents in recent years; they are not pushovers; they are not even a moderate team; they are always a good team.

“So, if you want to play a team like South Africa, you have to prepare well because you know the kind of opposition you will be expecting.’’

NAN reports that the winner of the fixture will qualify for the World Cup as one of Africa’s representatives.

The continent’s second representative is expected to emerge from the other encounter involving Ghana and Ethiopia.
[/b]

www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/10/womens-u-20-world-cup-qualifier-falconets-plan-to-beat-south-africa-says-head-coach/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Messi Bids Neymar Farewell (PHOTOS) / I Prefer Your Sister': Materazzi Reveals What He Told Zidane Before The Headbutt / Chichi Igbo, Nigerian Female Footballer's Daring Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.