Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,508 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. (61004 Views)

Nigeria Vs Zambia: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier - 1 - 0 (Full Time) / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) / Korea DPR Vs Nigeria 3 - 0 :FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 5:44pm On Mar 12, 2016
^^
Ajibade would have scored her 5th goal, but blasts wide after rounding the SA keeper..

FYI, Ajibade scored 4 goals within the space of 16 minutes.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Mar 12, 2016
FT: Nigeria 6-0 South Africa. Captain Rasheedat Ajibade has now scored 7 goals in 3 U-17 WC qualifiers.

Lets recall the previous games:

Nigeria 4-0 Namibia

Namibia 0-5 Nigeria

Nigeria 6-0 South Africa

See a pattern..? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Mar 12, 2016
Flamingoes have scored 54 goals in 17 WC qualifiers.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 8:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
CFCman:
FT: Nigeria 6-0 South Africa. Captain Rasheedat Ajibade has now scored 7 goals in 3 U-17 WC qualifiers.

Lets recall the previous games:

Nigeria 4-0 Namibia

Namibia 0-5 Nigeria

Nigeria 6-0 South Africa

See a pattern..? cheesy

Immediately i saw dat fixrure i knew it was over for South Africa. Nigeria Will go through with nothing less than a 10-0 aggregate

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:07pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Ruthless Flamingos wallop Bantwana 6 - 0 Babajide Orevba
[/size]
– The Flamingos humiliated their South African opponents in World Cup qualifier – The Nigerian women’s team scored six goals against the Bantwana Bantwana in Abuja Nigeria’s Flamingos were ruthless in the first leg of their Fifa Women’s World Cup qualifier as they humiliated the Bantwana Bantwana of South Africa 6 – 0 at the main bowl of the Abuja national stadium on Saturday March 12.
Striker Rasheedat Ajibade scored four times in the space of twenty minutes as Nigeria got all six goals in the first half of the encounter.
[img]https://i.onthe.io/vllkyt7epuf8fde71.1b44ae15.jpg[/img]
Rasheedat Ajibade The goal-rain started just two minutes into the game when Yetunde Fajobi got the first goal to put Nigeria in control of the game.

The visitors were lucky in the 12th minute when Peace Efih’s strike from a free kick crashed into the woodwork. Goalkeeper Maluleke was on hand for Bantwana in the 19th minute as she prevented the Flamingos’ captain Rasheedat Ajibade from getting the second goal in the very entertaining encounter.

Ajibade of Nigeria scored four goals

It was the turn of the visitors three minutes later as Makhurubetshi struck a fine move just over the bar, with the Bantwanas looking promising. Ajibade took advantage of a defensive error by the South Africans who failed to clear their lines and slotted home the second goal.

Out of nowhere, Fajobi pounced on a loose pass to bag a brace for herself twelve minutes to the end of the first half as the home side continued their dominance. Two minutes later Ajibade got her hat-trick, and also scored her fourth in the 43rd minute. It ended Nigeria 6 – 0 South Africa.
https://www.naij.com/762034-ruthless-flamingos-walloped-south-africa.html
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
'Bantwana showed Flamingoes too much respect'
by Sammy Wejinya
[/size]

Maude Nombuso Khumalo

Acting head coach of South Africa’s under-17 women’s football team, Maude Nombuso Khumalo, believes lack of competitive matches plus too much respect shown by her side for Nigeria was responsible for Saturday’s heavy defeat to the Flamingoes in Abuja.

The Flamingoes romped to an easy 6-0 win over the Bantwana in a first leg, final round 2016 Fifa World Cup qualifier at the National Stadium in Abuja.

Atinuke Fajobi scored twice while captain Rasheedat Ajibade plundered four as the Nigerians raced to a 6-0 half time lead.

Khumalo has now taken the time to analyse Saturday’s defeat, explaining that the odds were heavily stacked against her charges.

“This was always going to be a tough ask of the girls considering they haven’t played an international match up to this stage, but such is football.

“I believe we gave the Nigerians too much respect in the first half. We also had a lapse in concentration and lack to communication in the first half but in the second half we played to our strengths.

“We showed that we can hold them and with more practice, we believe we have what it takes to do better in the second leg,” Khumalo told www.safa.net.

The second leg of the tie comes up on in a fortnight at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa.
http://www.supersport.com/football/south-africa/news/160313/Bantwana_showed_Flamingoes_too_much_respect
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:08pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Bantwana Coach laments after 6-0 throbbing by Flamingos
[/size]

South Africa's Bantwana Coach, Maude Khumalo.

Posted By: Adeniyion: March 13, 2016In: AFRICA, WORLD CUPNo Comments

South Africa U-17 women coach Maude Khumalo blamed poor form for her side’s unimpressive show in 6-0 defeat against Nigeria in the final round, first leg of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup.Rasheedat Ajibade pounded the South African defence drawing an impressive 4 goals in the process and Khumalo insists the players will need motivation ahead of the reverse fixture, which comes up in 2 weeks at the Makhulong Stadium in Tembisa.

The Bantwana are seeking their first World Cup appearance but Saturday’s massive first leg loss to Bala Nikyu’s ladies at the National Stadium, Abuja has put a huge clog too that wheel.

The Second Leg comes up
http://footballlive.ng/footballnews/world-cup/bantwana-coach-laments-after-6-0-throbbing-by-flamingos/
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:10pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria/South Africa: SA's Half-a-Dozen Disaster Against Nigeria
[/size]
By Tintswalo Baloyi

SOUTH Africa's Under-17 women's national football side coach, Maud Khumalo, said the 6-0 thrashing by Nigeria was a rude awakening for her team.

On Saturday, Bantwana, as the South Africans are otherwise known, lost to the Flamingos of Nigeria in the first leg of the final round of the U-17 FIFA World Cup qualifiers played at the Abuja National Stadium.

Atinuke Fajobi scored a brace while captain Busayo Ajibade scored four goals, all six coming in the in the first half, to condemn the visitors and leave them with a mountain to climb in the return leg set for Johannesburg in a fortnight.

Khumalo blamed a number of factors.

"This was always going to be a tough ask of the girls considering they haven't played an international match up to this stage, but such is football," she said upon returning to South Africa.

Bantwana had not played an official match due to the withdrawal of Zambia earlier this year and lack of match fitness was evident earlier on.

"I believe we gave the Nigerians too much respect in the first half. We also had a lapse in concentration and lack to communication in the first half but in the second half we played to our strengths.

With his side staring elimination, Khumalo can only hope for an improved performance.

"We showed that we can hold them and with more practice, we believe we have what it takes to do better in the second leg," she said.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201603141222.html
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:13pm On Mar 14, 2016

Sorry I didn't watch the match live, but from what I could read, it seems all the goals where scored in the first half of the encounter. What then where our girls doing in the second half?
cc: Icon4s, CFCman, lakesidepapa, TheSuperNerd, BlackAlbino6, Orkpekyandega, Terzurum5....

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 1:19pm On Mar 14, 2016
justiz5:

Sorry I didn't watch the match live, but from what I could read, it seems all the goals where scored in the first half of the encounter. [b]What then where our girls doing in the second half?

cc: Icon4s, CFCman, lakesidepapa, TheSuperNerd, BlackAlbino6, Orkpekyandega, Terzurum5....
[/b]

They were using the SA girls to practice ahead of the main World Cup grin

5 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Flamingoes met goals target against South Africa, admits coach Bala Nikyu
[/size]

Flamingoes Coach Coach Bala Nikyu

The Flamingoes trainer has acknowledged they got the goals they wanted against their South African opponents after a massive home victory on Saturday

Nigeria U17 women coach Bala Nikyu has admitted his side realised their targets in the 6-0 massive home victory against South Africa in the final round, first leg of the Fifa U17 Women's World Cup.

Rasheedat Ajibade netted a hat trick and Yetunde Fajobi grabbed brace to hand Bala Nikyu's ladies a huge first leg advantage against Maude Khumalo's ladies at the National Stadium, Abuja.

"We thank God so far because what we wanted is what we (Flamingoes) got," Nikyu told media.

"From the first half, I needed quite a number of goals to keep the second half going well and we got it.

"Definitely, if the first half had ended in one or two goals, the second half will have been very bad because they (South Africa) will not allow the game to flow.

Ahead of the return leg, Nikyu is confident of his side's chances of scoring more goals in Johannesburg when they face the Bantwana in the return leg after the first leg demolition.

"Like I use to say, goals are not bargain outside the field of play but after 90 minutes. So if we go to South Africa, whatever number of goals we can score that is been destined by God, we will definitely take it.

"I want to appreciate Nigerians and assure them that we are going to play a good match in South Africa. We will definitely be in Jordan," he concluded.

After a healthy first leg win, the Flamingoes will be seeking to consolidate on their six goals advantage against South Africa in Johannesburg to seal a place in Jordan 2016.
https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/flamingoes-met-goals-target-against-095800831.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:30pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria’s Flamingos will beat South Africa again, says Coach Nikyu
[/size]

Coach Bala Nikyu

Bala Nikyu, Head Coach of the Flamingos has given an assurance that his players would replicate their first leg performance in the second leg game in a fortnight’s time.

Nigeria’s under-17 women football team whipped their South African counterparts, the Bantwana, 6-0 in their encounter at the Abuja National Stadium on Saturday.

The match was the final round first leg fixture in the qualifiers for the 2016 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup.

Speaking after the match, Nikyu told newsmen that his players were as good as qualifying for the competition billed for Jordan later in the year.

“I am happy with my players because they played to instructions, and I commend them for their good performance.Our target was to score all the goals we could in the first half, so that in the second half we would not have much to do.

“My girls listened to my instructions and did exactly what I asked them to do. We will start preparations immediately for the second leg and I can assure you that we will beat them in South Africa.

“Flamingos will make Nigerians proud at the end of the second leg game in South Africa,” he said.

On her part South Africa’s coach Maud Khumalo said her team would be going back home to work on their mistakes.

“Nigeria was able to score all these goals because of the silly and unavoidable mistakes from my players.I can understand and pardon the young lads because this is the first time they were playing in an international match.

“We are going back home to work and correct all our mistakes and I promise that the return leg will be a more serious game,’’ she said.

The Nigerian side had earlier in the qualifiers silenced hosts Namibia 5-0 in the second round second leg game of the qualifiers.

This was after a 4-0 win in the first leg, and they thus advanced 9-0 on aggregate.
http://thenewsnigeria.com.ng/2016/03/nigerias-flamingos-will-beat-south-africa-again-says-coach-nikyu/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 1:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
Icon4s:

They were using the SA girls to practice ahead of the main World Cup grin

I mean they should have scored more goals now. The Coach should have brought in may be his second eleven to prosecute the match maybe to try out some who do not always get the chance to play seen that the Bantwana did not come to the party. gringrin

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by justiz5(m): 6:28pm On Mar 14, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Jordan in sight for Maidens and Flamingos
[/size]
Ghana and Nigeria are on course to maintain their enviable record of qualifying for every edition of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup since its inception in 2008.

The West African duo look set to continue with their run in the global cadet ladies tournament, with their places almost secured among the continent’s trio for the fifth edition of the biennial championship due for Jordan later in the year.

Ghana’s Black Maidens, who boast of the best record by an African side at the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup, third place in Azerbaijan in 2012, beat their Moroccan counterparts 4-0 in Rabat, all but securing their place for Jordan ahead of the return leg in a fortnight in Accra.

Mukarama Abdulai scored a first half brace whilst Rafia Kulchirie scored in between to give the Ghanaians a 3-0 lead at the interval. Sandra Owusu-Ansah wrapped up victory with the fourth goal on 71 minutes.

The Flamingos of Nigeria were ruthless against South Africa’s Bantwana beating them 6-0 in Abuja, and almost putting the latter’s dream of another appearance at the global championship since 2010 go up in flames. Captain Rasheedat Ajibade bagged four goals whilst a brace from Yetunde Fajobi sealed victory.

“I believe we gave the Nigerians too much respect in the first half. We also had a lapse in concentration and lack to communication in the first half but in the second half we played to our strengths.

“We showed that we can hold them and with more practice, we believe we have what it takes to do better in the second leg,” Bantwana coach Maud Khumalo was quoted by the South African Football Association website.

The continent will have a new representation in either Cameroon or Egypt, who are fighting for the other slot. Cameroon beat Egypt 2-1 in Douala in a game that recorded all three goals in the first half. Alexandra Takounda and Dominique Djoubi scored for Cameroon whilst Noha Tarek pulled one back for Egypt before the break.

The second leg will take place in a fortnight with the winners qualifying to represent Africa at the final tournament fixed for 30 September to 21 October 2016 in Jordan.

Results

Saturday, 12 March 2016

Morocco 0-4 Ghana

Nigeria 6-0 South Africa

Cameroon 2-1 Egypt
http://www.cafonline.com/en-US/NewsCenter/News/NewsDetails?id=E6qb9dAIm94n7RPGJ8iCwg%3d%3d
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by mikron(m): 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2016
justiz5:

Sorry I didn't watch the match live, but from what I could read, it seems all the goals where scored in the first half of the encounter. What then where our girls doing in the second half?

i was there live and direct at the stadium when our girls spearheaded by rasheedat were teaching the southy ladies how to play football

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:06pm On Mar 16, 2016
justiz5:

Didn't watch the match oooo. Only read about it. Good contributions from great and likeminded personalities on this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:10pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA U-17 WWC: SA coach gives up on Nigerian girls
[/size]
South African coach Maude Khumalo believes that the chances of her country qualifying for the FIFA Under-17 Women World are slim following the 6-0 whitewash by their Nigerian counterparts.

The Nigeria girls’ assault spear-headed by Rasheedat Ajbade punished the South Africans severely, for their poor defensive display and errors at the first leg decided at the National Stadium Abuja.

“It was our first international game, and it was unfortunate that we conceded many goals. So we have to work very hard for the return leg because it is going to be very difficult because of the goals we conceded,” Khumalo said.

Nigerian coach Bala Nikyu buttressed her point, and sees no way out for the South Africa girls.

“The South Africans will now be playing on their home ground under pressure. At home they will want to reply quickly with goals.

By so doing we will have more advantage because by the time you are desperate to attack your opponent’s goal area in a bid to score, you won’t know when you are leaving your rear open to counter attacks. So I think we have a better advantage”, Nikyu disclosed.
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/fifa-u-17-wwc-sa-coach-gives-up-on-nigerian-girls/
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Seven countries get Jordan 2016 ticket
By Joshua Odeyemi
[/size]
Seven countries have qualified for the fifth edition of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup final competition to be staged in Jordan.

The competition which will hold between 30th September and 21st October 2016 has host Jordan, Japan, North Korea, Canada, USA, Mexico and New Zealand already on the card.

Nikyu eyes Jordan
Meanwhile, Head Coach of the U-17 Women National Team (Flamingos) Bala Nikyu has said that he is targeting a good result in the return leg in South Africa, despite the 6-0 drubbing of Bantwana last Saturday at the Abuja National Stadium.

Four goals from Captain Rasheedat Ajibade and two from Yetunde Fajobi gave the Flamingos a comfortable advantage heading into the final leg next weekend in South Africa.

"My girls will not rely on the massive win here in Nigeria. When we confront the South Africans in the return leg, we will try and replicate what we did against Namibia, whom we defeated 4-0 here in Abuja and 5-0 in Windhoek.

“We are also not underrating the Bantwana of South Africa as they will try to reduce the number of goals, but we will be ready for them".

Nigeria has participated at all previous editions of the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup final competitions from New Zealand 2008 to Trinidad and Tobago 2010, Azerbaijan 2012 and Costa Rica 2014.

The Flamingos reached the quarter -finals in the last three editions but have promised to surpass this record in Jordan.
www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/sports/seven-countries-get-jordan-2016-ticket/138163.html
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 8:39pm On Mar 16, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets know U-20 Women’s W/Cup Group Opponents Thursday
[/size]

Nigeria U-20 Women's team, the Falconets, will know their group opponents when the draws for this year's FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup in Papua New Guinea holds on Thursday 17 March.

According to FIFA.com, the draws will take place at FIFA headquarters in Zurich.
Nigeria's Falconets and 15 other countries will get to know their group opponents at this year's World Cup which is scheduled to take place from 13th November to 3rd December, 2016.

This will be the eight edition of the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup since its maiden 2002 maiden edition in Canada.

At the 2014 edition in Canada, the Falconets lost 1-0 to Germany in the final.

Also earlier in 2010, the Falconets lost 2-0 to host nation, Germany.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/falconets-know-u-20-womens-wcup-group-opponents-thursday/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:08pm On Mar 17, 2016
Hey Sir Orkpekyandega, The Super Falconets now know their opponents.
Draw's been done. We'll be up against Spain, Japan and Canada.
#smiles. Kinda interesting I'll say.

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 6:11am On Mar 18, 2016
Orkpekyandega:
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets know U-20 Women’s W/Cup Group Opponents Thursday
[/size]

Nigeria U-20 Women's team, the Falconets, will know their group opponents when the draws for this year's FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup in Papua New Guinea holds on Thursday 17 March.

According to FIFA.com, the draws will take place at FIFA headquarters in Zurich.
Nigeria's Falconets and 15 other countries will get to know their group opponents at this year's World Cup which is scheduled to take place from 13th November to 3rd December, 2016.

This will be the eight edition of the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup since its maiden 2002 maiden edition in Canada.

At the 2014 edition in Canada, the Falconets lost 1-0 to Germany in the final.

Also earlier in 2010, the Falconets lost 2-0 to host nation, Germany.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/falconets-know-u-20-womens-wcup-group-opponents-thursday/
[/b]

Nigeria in Grp B alongside: Japan; Spain and Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Nobody: 6:26am On Mar 18, 2016
Icon4s:

Nigeria in Grp B alongside: Japan; Spain and Canada.
It looks like a tricky group, but I still fancy the Falconets to progress beyond the group stage. Spain has been a rising force in women's youth football in Europe. The Japanese girls can't be underrated either.

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 8:21am On Mar 18, 2016
CFCman:

It looks like a tricky group, but I still fancy the Falconets to progress beyond the group stage. Spain has been a rising force in women's youth football in Europe. The Japanese girls can't be underrated either.

I see Nigeria as being in a difficult group.

Do you recall that Japan and Spain finished First and Second respectively at the last U17 world Cup?

Nigeria lost 3-0 to Spain in the Q/final of that tourney.

We expect to see most of those players that featured for Spain and Japan in this next U20 WC.

Canada may nt usually be as technically gifted as the other 3 teams in the group but they can punish any of the other Teams if they get their tactics right.

However, I still feel Nigeria are slight favorites majorly bc of our pedigree at the U20 level. A couple of the 2014 U20 girls will be part of this Team and that will give them that boost in the area of experience. The following players from the last U20 are still eligible: Sandra Chiichii (goalie), Jiroro Idike, Yetunde Adeboyejo, Uchenna Kanu, Osas Igbinovia, and Chiwendu Ihezuo. It is left for the technical crew to invite them if they are still in form. I know Adeboyejo, Ihezuo and Kanu were part of the qualifiers. And I think goalkeeper Chiichii also.

I expect a tough competition. We are in a difficult group.

3 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Petrobros: 8:46am On Mar 18, 2016
Icon4s:

I see Nigeria as being in a difficult group.

Do you recall that Japan and Spain finished First and Second respectively at the last U17 world Cup?

Nigeria lost 3-0 to Spain in the Q/final of that tourney.

We expect to see most of those players that featured for Spain and Japan in this next U20 WC.

Canada may nt usually be as technically gifted as the other 3 teams in the group but they can punish any of the other Teams if they get their tactics right.

However, I still feel Nigeria are slight favorites majorly bc of our pedigree at the U20 level. A couple of the 2014 U20 girls will be part of this Team and that will give them that boost in the area of experience. The following players from the last U20 are still eligible: Sandra Chiichii (goalie), Jiroro Idike, Yetunde Adeboyejo, Uchenna Kanu, Osas Igbinovia, and Chiwendu Ihezuo. It is left for the technical crew to invite them if they are still in form. I know Adeboyejo, Ihezuo and Kanu were part of the qualifiers. And I think goalkeeper Chiichii also.

I expect a tough competition. We are in a difficult group.

Icon4s has spoken. There is usually a way this bros makes his predictions. He usually brings in the words "pedigree", "experience" and the likes. Most of his predictions and expectations have usually followed that pattern.

I am not trying to blow his trumpet for him o, but I just want to say it as it is. Most of his predictions for our national teams at tourneys have usually come to pass. There are several other great guys on this Sports section bt there is something abt this Icon4s and his way of analyzing football and making predictions.

Go back and recall how he said our U20 were nt likely to win the WC. I was one of those hu almost insulted him for that. grin He predicted our Super Falcons should celebrate if they win 1pt from their WC grp of which they only celebrated that 3-3 draw against Sweden. He predicted the Amuneke Eaglets were favorites to win d U17 even though dey finished 4th in Africa. I remember how he stood for the Team after they lost 1-2 to Croatia. I also remember how he wroteoff South Africa in that tourney for lack of "pedigree" even though they finished 2nd in Africa; and predicted teams likely to do Africa proud as any of Nigeria, Mali and Guinea. He also predicted Nigeria to scale through the grp stage of the CAF U23, though he didn't predict we would win the tourney.

So let me ask you sir how far do you think these Falconets team will go?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Icon4s(m): 9:21am On Mar 18, 2016
Petrobros:

Icon4s has spoken. There is usually a way this bros makes his predictions. He usually brings in the words "pedigree", "experience" and the likes. Most of his predictions and expectations have usually followed that pattern.

I am not trying to blow his trumpet for him o, but I just want to say it as it is. Most of his predictions for our national teams at tourneys have usually come to pass. There are several other great guys on this Sports section bt there is something abt this Icon4s and his way of analyzing football and making predictions.

Go back and recall how he said our U20 were nt likely to win the WC. I was one of those hu almost insulted him for that. grin He predicted our Super Falcons should celebrate if they win 1pt from their WC grp of which they only celebrated that 3-3 draw against Sweden. He predicted the Amuneke Eaglets were favorites to win d U17 even though dey finished 4th in Africa. I remember how he stood for the Team after they lost 1-2 to Croatia. I also remember how he wroteoff South Africa in that tourney for lack of "pedigree" even though they finished 2nd in Africa; and predicted teams likely to do Africa proud as any of Nigeria, Mali and Guinea. He also predicted Nigeria to scale through the grp stage of the CAF U23, though he didn't predict we would win the tourney.

So let me ask you sir how far do you think these Falconets team will go?

Haba! shocked

This man just day follow me bumper to bumper sha!. OMG.

"Pedigree", "Experience" grin
But these are vital pointers as to one's predictions on how far a Team can go in a tourney naa.

The thing is being an active follower of World football for over 3 decades I have seen and leant quite a lot. I have also learnt from some smart analyst here too. I dnt want to mention monikers. They know themselves. Thumbs up to u guys.

On my predictions for the Falconets team, I will say too early. Let me see the squad list and their preparations first.

Finally, thanks for the complements bro.

2 Likes

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:32pm On Mar 18, 2016
Thanks for the reminder @every here. Was offline for some time.

Now back. What a tough group for my girls. We can still pull a good one out of this
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 2:56pm On Mar 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets Draw Canada, Japan, Spain
[/size]

FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup

Nigeria’s Under-20 women’s national team will face Canada, Japan and Spain at the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup, which starts in Papua New Guinea in November.

The Canadians and Nigerians are clearly the experienced sides in Group B of the tournament with Japan and Spain bringing up the rear.

Though tied on seven appearances apiece at the Under-20 Women’s World Cup, Nigeria’s Falconets are favourites to finish top of their group having played in the last three editions, including finish second on two occasions.

Nigeria will start her outing at the Under-20 Women’s World Cup against Japan at the Sir John Guise Stadium in Port Moresby before facing Canada in Falconets’ second match three days later.

The Falconets will round off their quest to finish among the top-two in their group at the Sir Hubert Murray Stadium, Port Moresby, against Spain on November 20.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2016/03/18/falconets-draw-canada-japan-spain/
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:04pm On Mar 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
FIFA U-20 Women World Cup: Nigeria’s Falconets draw Canada, Japan, Spain

Tunde Eludini
[/size]

The Nigeria U-20 Women’s team, the Falconets, have been drawn in Group B of the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women World Cup, billed for Papua New Guinea.

The Falconets are drawn against women football powerhouse, Japan, Canada and Spain but they remain firm favourites to progress going by their pedigree in the competition. They have reached the finals of the last two editions of the championship.

Nigeria’s Assisat Oshoala was top scorer and Most Valuable Player of the 2014 edition of the tournament held in Canada, where the Falconets lost 0-2 to Germany in the final.

Africa’s other campaigner, Ghana, are in a seemingly tougher first round group where they have been pitched alongside USA, France and New Zealand.

Meanwhile, defending champions, Germany, are in Group D along with Mexico, Venezuela and Korea Republic.

Also hosts, Papua New Guinea, face a series of intriguing challenges against Brazil, Sweden and Korea DPR in Group A. They will contest the tournament’s opening match against Brazil on November 13.

The Official Draw for the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup took place at the Home of FIFA, and the President of the world’s football governing body, Gianni Infantino, said he expects another good show from the women.

“The U-20 Women’s World Cup is a great event,” the FIFA President said. “I’ve been to Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea, and it was a great experience. I can tell you the weather will be beautiful. What will be even more beautiful is that Papua New Guinea will greet the world and the world will discover Papua New Guinea. I’m sure Papua New Guinea will excel and I’m sure the 16 teams will as well on the pitch.”

Full draw

Group A

Papua New Guinea

Brazil

Sweden

Korea DPR

Group B

Spain

Canada

Japan

Nigeria

Group C

France

USA

Ghana

New Zealand

Group D

Germany

Venezuela

Mexico

Korea Republic
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/football/200351-fifa-u-20-women-world-cup-nigerias-falconets-draw-canada-japan-spain.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:08pm On Mar 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
World Cup: Falconets’ coach, Dedevbo, dismisses opponents threat

Posted by Bowale Odutola
[/size]
Dedevbo was also in charge when the Falconets cruised elegantly into the final of the last competition in Canada, losing to Germany only after extra time

Coach Peter Dedevbo insists that his U-20 girls will not be starting as underdogs for whatever reason when the 8th FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup starts in Papua New Guinea in November this year.

“Dedevbo said: “I don’t see why we need to fear any team.
“Rather, those teams should be the ones to be scared.

“Our pedigree at this level is intimidating.
“However, we would not be underrating any of Spain, Canada or Japan.
“Our principle, as always, would be to take it one match at a time and focus on our objective of doing Nigeria proud.”

Dedevbo was also in charge when the Falconets cruised elegantly into the final of the last competition in Canada, losing to Germany only after extra time.

Thursday’s draw at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich threw the Nigeria U-20 girls into Group B, against known foes, Canada and Japan, and relatively unfamiliar Spain.

At the inaugural edition in Canada 14 years ago, when the tournament was known as U-19 World Cup, Nigeria and and Japan battled to a 1-1 draw in the group stage, and eight years later, in Germany, the Falconets edged the Asians 2-1 in another group stage match.
However, as hosts in 2012, Japan edged the Falconets 2-1 in a third place match in Tokyo.

Hosts Canada defeated Nigeria 2-0 in a group stage match in 2002, but the Falconets earned a 3-2 win in another group stage match against the North Americans in Russia four years later.

The Falconets reached the quarter -finals in Thailand 2004, Russia 2006 and Chile 2008, finished as runners-up in Germany 2010 and Canada 2014 and reached the semi finals in Japan 2012.

ALL THE GROUPS
GROUP A: Papua New Guinea, Brazil, Sweden Korea DPR
GROUP B: Spain, Canada, Japan, Nigeria
GROUP C: France, USA, Ghana, New Zealand
GROUP D: Germany, Venezuela, Mexico, Korea Republic
http://theeagleonline.com.ng/world-cup-falconets-coach-dedevbo-dismisses-opponents-threat/
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:24pm On Mar 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
EMTV is Official Broadcaster of 2016 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup
[/size]
[img]http://www.emtv.com.pg/UPLOAD_FOLDER/EMTV-is-Official-Broadcaster-of-2016-FIFA-U-20-Women-s-World-Cup-media.jpg[/img]
This November, Papua New Guinea will be the focus of the football world, when we play host to the FIFA Under 20 Women’s World Cup.

EMTV has been granted the role of Official Broadcaster of the 2016 FIFA Under 20 Women’s World Cup.

The resurgence of Football in PNG

With the sport of football resurging its way across Papua New Guinea, and picking up a whole new legion of fans along the way, EMTV has partnered with FIFA, to broadcast the three-week world tournament which kicks off on November 13, and runs until December 3.

EMTV has already launched a local program called ‘Football First’, featuring news and live telecasts on the Telikom National Soccer League (NSL), the OFC Nations Cup and the OFC Champion’s League, and features developments in the lead up to the FIFA Under 20 Women’s World Cup.

Why was EMTV chosen?

EMTV’s experience in broadcasting the highly successful 2015 Pacific Games, convinced FIFA, to partner with EMTV to ensure maximum coverage of this world event.

What will EMTV viewers have access too?

EMTV Viewers will be able to catch all the action live and free, as well as gain access to exclusive content and features on the EMTV Mobile App and via EMTV online streaming. EMTV also holds the rights for Radio and Pay TV.

Media Niugini Limited Chief Executive Officer, Bhanu Sud, said EMTV is excited about the exclusive live telecast of this monumental event of national importance.

“We are also looking forward to working with the Host Broadcaster, to develop a world-class broadcast of the event.

“It is the first time for us to showcase our PNG Women Footballers competing against some of the world’s best women footballers, on such a prestigious world stage. It’s the opportunity to lift the image of PNG women in sport.

“We also hold the exclusive rights to sublicense some of these rights to other broadcasters in the country to ensure maximum coverage. FIFA has recognised that coverage of the 2014 Brazil World Cup did not get viewership they were expecting, and are now convinced that EMTV can give them that. And we can.”

Who are we hosting?

The Papua New Guinea women’s team will be mixing it up with a total of 16 countries from around the world with the likes of Sweden, Venezuela, USA and Brazil, and just like them, we are incredibly excited to be a part of it all.

Football’s roots in PNG?

Football has long roots in PNG, having been first introduced in the country, in Finschafen, Morobe province, by German Missionaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Germany.

It has since lived through the colonial administration, until 1962, when the Port Moresby Football Association was established.

Today, PNG has been chosen to host a world football event. This will see a further strengthening of the code in PNG society.

EMTV Viewers are the winners…

EMTV has proven itself to be a leader in the broadcasting of live sporting events throughout the region, and the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup will provide free-to-air, mass market viewing to watch a world-class sporting event free, on your ‘Nambawan To Watch’.

[s]Competition draws will be released by FIFA in mid-April 2016.[/s]
[/b]
Re: Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup. by Orkpekyandega(m): 3:24pm On Mar 19, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Falconets won't underrate U20 Women's World Cup opponents - Ihezuo
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/68/ea/chinwendu-ihezuo_8zojar5o0cg01vyjyh9hlzeus.jpg?t=-1698721166&w=620&h=430[/img]

By Samuel Ahmadu

The young striker has admitted her side were handed easy opponents but insists they will not look down on them in Papua New Guinea

Nigeria's U20 women team striker Chiwendu Ihezuo says her side will not underrate any team in the opening stage of the Fifa U20 Women's World Cup in Papua New Guinea.

The Falconets were drawn against Japan, Canada and Spain in Group B of the preliminary round of the 2016 Fifa U20 Women’s World Cup following a draw conducted in Zurich on Thursday.

Despite prospect of facing Japan, Canada and Spain appears not to scare Ihezuo as she believe her football-loving country have nothing to worry about recalling their rough road to success in Canada.

The 18-year-old scored six times in the qualifying including her lone strike that gave the Falconets a 1-0 win against South Africa in Tembisa, which handed them a 3-1 aggregate win and she believes with hard work they will pull through.

"I've seen the draw. To me it meant be very easy group for us," Ihezuo told Goal.

"Except for just the names and we cannot be afraid of any among them. We just need to work very hard and prayers like we did 2014.

"There is nothing God cannot do. In 2014, we had tough opponents in our group but God made it easy for us.

"We will not underrate any team in the group because they are all good sides but we need to work hard too.

"I'm not bragging but I believe with our hard work none of these teams in our group will be able to beat us.

The new Biik Kazygurt of Kazakstan striker has set her sight on winning Africa's first Women's World Cup trophy in Papua New Guinea after being part of the 2014 silver-winning Falconets who narrowly missed to trophy bowing 1-0 to Germany in the final in Canada.

"Our main target is the U20 World Cup trophy and having a good tournament, not just to make the number," she concluded.

Nigeria will begin their campaign in the competition against Japan on November 13 at the Sir John Guise Stadium, Port Moresby.

The eighth edition of the women youth championship will hold from November 13 to December 3, 2016.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/12072/nigeria-women/2016/03/18/21428952/falconets-wont-underrate-u20-womens-world-cup-opponents
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (23) (Reply)

7 Atletico Madrid Players Ran Back To Defend Counter Attack In UCL(Photos / 5 Footballers You Never Knew Have Killed Before / Ronaldo Reacts To Hat-trick Against Tottenham Hotspur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.