Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce (6133 Views)

Hameed Ali, Senate Face-off: Buhari Intervenes / Agitation For Biafra Is Nonsense - (TIC) The Igbo Conscience Leaders / The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by fkaz(m): 4:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
The Igbo Conscience, an emerging Think Tank for the Igbo nation, has noted with grave concern, the increasing negative fallout of the last general election, which, if not checked, may lead to much more unsavory developments for the country. Of particular concern to us, as a fledgling Igbo think tank, is the increasing spate of hate messages and hate actions that have now taken over the once cordial and fruitful relationship between Ndigbo and the Yoruba.

The Igbo Conscience, an emerging Think Tank for the Igbo nation, has noted with grave concern, the increasing negative fallout of the last general election, which, if not checked, may lead to much more unsavory developments for the country. Of particular concern to us, as a fledgling Igbo think tank, is the increasing spate of hate messages and hate actions that have now taken over the once cordial and fruitful relationship between Ndigbo and the Yoruba. We note that the cordial relationship between the two great races has been greatly soured by the process leading to and the outcome of the last general election.

The Igbo Conscience notes that the negative politics that attended the last political campaigns have accounted for the degenerating relationship between Ndigbo and the Yoruba.

We note that the events that are tragically spiraling into a dangerous exchange of hate messages have now gone to the extent of some Yoruba groups mobilizing some Yoruba to mount anti-Igbo protests in Lagos. Equally, we note the concern of these Yoruba groups to the continued picketing of a Yoruba, Dr. Ayo Ariyo in Dallas, United States, by some Igbo over some comments he allegedly made for which he had been reported to have made sufficient clarification and show of remorse. We condemn both actions and we see these as very dangerous and warn that no one, either Igbo or Yoruba will gain from a degeneration of this situation.

“The Igbo Conscience will not want to join issues with any group in this needless altercation but we want to warn both the Igbo and Yoruba groups furthering the ends of hate, division, anarchy, hatred and acrimony that we will gain more from sustaining, and indeed building, the age long cordial relationship that has sustained and nurtured our collective goals and interests as well as those of the larger Nigerian nation for several decades.

We want to appeal to both Igbo and Yoruba to give heed to reason and end this disturbing needless warfare that will not benefit any one at the end of the day.

“The Igbo Conscience wants to state that we are not and will not agree to the destruction of the cordial relationship that had seen Igbo and Yoruba recording the highest level of inter-tribal marriages in Nigerian history. If this is not a solid instance of common bonding that automatically broke down the barriers of hate and rancor, we wonder what else will.

We believe that soon, both ethnic nationalities will be overwhelmed by a hybrid of culture that does not tolerate the petty quarrels and unfounded tantrums that are gradually taking over the relationship between both nationalities.

“We want to state that we will not pander to any issue that will hurt the mutual understanding and good relationship Ndigbo have enjoyed with their Yoruba hosts either in Lagos or any other South West State by either making hollow demands that have no real practical value or igniting a hate tendency as a reaction to such demand.

We want to state emphatically that we share common bond of unity and understanding with the Yoruba, either in Lagos or any other South Western state or even any other tribe in Nigeria.

“The Igbo Conscience wants to put it on record that in the process leading to the election, one of our affiliate groups, the Association for the Defence of Igbo interests in Lagos (ADIL) came out strongly to disavow the hate politics in Lagos that brought about this worsening situation and affirm the willingness of progressive Igbo to work with Yoruba in Lagos for a common political goal of advancing progressive politics in Lagos.

We remain committed to that goal, which does not support the rancor marking the relationship between Igbo and Yoruba today.

“The Igbo Conscience therefore calls for a cessation of hostilities in the degenerating war of attrition between Igbo and Yoruba, either in Lagos, Dallas or any other state in and outside Nigeria.

“The Igbo Conscience will, in conjunction with equally concerned Yoruba professionals and leaders, work to mend the frosty relationship between Igbo and Yoruba as well as other Nigerians.

We call on all Igbo and Yoruba, either in Lagos or elsewhere, to cease forthwith from issuing or causing to be issued, damaging hate speeches, inciting write ups and insinuations in any forum or platform that will further endanger the peace and unity between Ndigbo and the Yoruba.

We demand equally that the leaders of Ndigbo and Yoruba commence immediate actions to foster peace, unity, understanding, tolerance among Igbo and Yoruba, as well as among other ethnic groups in Nigeria.”

Barr. Onyekachi Ubani. Peter Claver Oparah
Interim Chairman. Interim Secretary

http://saharareporters.com/2015/06/18/igbo-conscience-intervenes-igboyoruba-misunderstanding-calls-truce

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2015
The truth remains that no matter what this group says, that deep seated hatred that prompted a 'royal father' to threaten a whole tribe because of selfish and personal gains might not fade soon, even though his opinion did not reflect that of all yorubas.
In a mixed society, only a primitive person would under-estimate the power of utterances.

What I will advise my Igbo brothers is to keep up the undying spirit of conquerors and also be careful at all times both in words and action. If we must co-habit, we must tolerate and show love

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by tinuolababy(f): 4:40pm On Jun 18, 2015
Dem never sabi anything grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Ikology(m): 4:43pm On Jun 18, 2015
kk
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2015
This is excellent! This is what I have always expected reasonable leaders to rise up and do. I am so happy with this development, at least I am sure that all my little efforts at peace making is not in vain.

I have a lot of friends who are married to Yorubas and I have Yoruba friends that are married to Igbos. Just move around Lagos on Saturdays and see the number of Igbo/Yoruba weddings taking place. As I write, many more are being planned and I just attended some.

My sweetheart and love Dollyak, a beautiful and awesome angel walking this earth is from an Yoruba-Igbo union.

God bless this think-tank group.

God bless Igbo,

God bless Yoruba

God bless Nigeria.

God bless Dollyak! cool

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 18, 2015
AwesomelyMade:
The truth remains that no matter what this group says, that deep seated hatred that prompted a 'royal father' to threaten a whole tribe because of selfish and personal gains might not fade soon, even though his opinion did not reflect that of all yorubas.
In a mixed society, only a primitive person would under-estimate the power of utterances.

What I will advise my Igbo brothers is to be careful at all times both in words and action. If we must co-habit, we must tolerate and show love

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 18, 2015
Lalasticlala, Ishilove, OAM4J, Afam4eva, Ikenna351, please if this thread does not deserve to hit front page I don't know what other thread deserves that place.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by abu12: 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
[size=13pt]sound funny, it is good to have peace among each other, but yoruba shld define their relationship or their rules to ibo people living in their land once and for all and ibo shld respect their political or governance decision. The major cause of hate btw ibo/yorub is politics, but if this olive branch they are stretching 2 each other is 2 fight northerner, they will fail [/size]
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
abu12:
[s][size=13pt]sound funny, it is good to have peace among each other, but yoruba shld define their relationship or their rules to ibo people living in their land once and for all and ibo shld respect their political or governance decision. The major cause of ibo/yorub is politics, but if this olive branch is 2 fight northern, they will fail [/size][/s]

Shift one side mallam and allow us discuss in peace. lipsrsealed

16 Likes

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Setaje(f): 4:58pm On Jun 18, 2015
Hmmm lipsrsealed. I have been avoiding tribal threads for a while now. I cannot deny the fact that I am pro yoruba. But I realise that we need ourselves so so much in this country. More than what we say, more than what we know and much more than what we see. For some weeks now, na rich man dey chop meat, tomatoes and yam. I don't want to think of a Nigeria wivout the input of this hausas. I don't want to think of the impact of not seeing a chemist around my house or a spare part dealer who has everything minute thing I need for my car to be in shape. I cannot imagine the yorubas that I no and have lived wiv all my life become hostile towards me,,,,,,,,,,,, we need each other much more than what we know or think.
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by donpope1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
Good move
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
. . . . . . . . . .I predict that this thread of peace will turn to a thread of war the minute the lower niger minions appear grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by SOUNDKING: 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2015
abu12:
[size=13pt]sound funny, it is good to have peace among each other, but yoruba shld define their relationship or their rules to ibo people living in their land once and for all and ibo shld respect their political or governance decision. The major cause of hate btw ibo/yorub is politics, but if this olive branch they are stretching 2 each other is 2 fight northerner, they will fail [/size]
igbos can never trust yoruba for anything again.

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Raddie(m): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2015
tinuolababy:
I really don't know what to say to you.
Just cause you're chatting on a "non-verifiable" account platform doesn't mean you should support hate.
We all know it's there, but shouldn't we work round it.
By the way i'm african.
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by alberto2k(m): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2015
make i just dey here dey Puff my weed grin
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Duru1(m): 5:10pm On Jun 18, 2015
It serves every Igbo person best if this goofy Igbo Conscience cum think tank remains emerging forever if the members think that the spate of hatred between Igbo and Yoruba started during the general election of yesterday. If the jokers in the so-called emerging Igbo Conscience have respect for past events, they should have realized that Igbo and Yoruba hatred is rooted in the Nigeria/Biafra civil war. What the hell is silly general election when there was a genocide committed against Ndiigbo during the civil war in which Yoruba were distinguished participants?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by temitemi1(m): 5:12pm On Jun 18, 2015
Peace,Peace, peace is all I preach!
God Bless Nigeria!!

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by angieberry(f): 5:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
As touching as this message is, let's just face reality and accept the fact that there will always be dissention between the two tribes.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by temitemi1(m): 5:15pm On Jun 18, 2015
Bros, u don carry ur madness reach here cheesy grin
torkaka:
. . . . . . . . . .I predict that this thread of peace will turn to a thread of war the minute the lower niger minions appear grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by sammyj: 5:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
They need to because this gets out of hand. I just wonder how people with the same blood will keep on fighting and witch hunt each other as if a price is at stack at the end !!! cheesy
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by PointB: 5:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
What need to happen is for both ethnic groups to be in different countries. Every and any other solution is cosmetics!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by francizy(m): 5:17pm On Jun 18, 2015
Oya oh.. Make una come hug, kiss and make up. The childish brawl is over now...

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by francizy(m): 5:18pm On Jun 18, 2015
temitemi1:

Madness no be small oh my brother.. That guy mad pass man way naked for street oh! grin cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Eshinwaju: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
I like yeboes sha....make I no lie....... cheesy
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by cheruv: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by temitemi1(m): 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
What is she feeling like undecided undecided undecided
tinuolababy:

2 Likes

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
temitemi1:

. . . . . . . . . . .minion, u don chop Fayose rice today?

1 Like

Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by chiefinalowo: 5:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
This thread is not for me because I am not in support of any truce.
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by temitemi1(m): 5:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
Nah Osun HUNGER dey wori u!
torkaka:

. . . . . . . . . . .minion, u don chop Fayose rice today?
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
chiefinalowo:
This thread is not for me because I am not in support of any truce.

Don't really care either, just doing this for the thousands of Igbo-Yoruba couples everywhere.. embarassed
Re: The Igbo Conscience Intervenes On Igbo/yoruba Misunderstanding: Calls For Truce by chiefinalowo: 5:23pm On Jun 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

Don't really care either, just doing this for the thousands of Igbo-Yoruba couples everywhere.. embarassed

Don't tell me that...
One of my wives is Igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Criticizes Anambra Government Over Alleged Deduction Of Workers’ Salary / Ekiti 2023: My Campaign Will Be Issue-Based, Oyebanji Assures / Ekiti Now An Important Factor In Nigeria's Political Enterprise, Says Oyebanji

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.