Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:17 AM

CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) (22382 Views)

Poll: Allowing Nigerians to carry arms in self-defence will:

Reduce the fighting: 40% (34 votes)
Intensify the fighting: 59% (49 votes)
This poll has ended

Men Arrested In Taraba For Causing Religious Crisis - Photos / Religious Crisis In Wukari, Taraba State!!! / What Utter Madness - Civil Defence Corps Now To Carry Arms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by sley4life(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2009
that would b a nice decision because we want be subjected 2 jihad. Durin d jos crisis if we were armed it would save our life to the extent. I support such moves
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by hackney(m): 2:39pm On Feb 25, 2009
That will initiate one step towards the actualisation of BIAFRA (just one of the many big problems that will come up)
Then talk of the Niger\Delta cowboys - God will help us!!!
Do we want that? its gonna be chaos and i hope that the stupid govt will see that when the time comes .
The Govt is so dumb they want to stop Okada but do not stop to think:what will all those millions of able bodied men do afterwards?
So now we have: lay abouts plus impending right to arms? HIAEHHH!!!!!
Anything can happen in that dump ;before you know it the same familiar-faced recycled fat cats will start clamouring to be in charge of the contract supplies.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mogentle(m): 2:49pm On Feb 25, 2009
bawomolo:

The question is why should a religious organization support the use of guns. Shouldn't they be promoting peace and harmony. It just comes off as a bit odd.

You're far from been sane. I dont mean to abuse u like this but i just discovered a Zero link  btw your faculty of Reasoning and thinking and this your odd statement.

You may not know that:
While all these killers hiding under their religion are making North inhabitable for people of other tribe or Religion, They are walking, trading, working and living freely in the south.
Why the imbalance? Why the cheating? Can someone tell me pls.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kc0022000(m): 2:51pm On Feb 25, 2009
Carry Arms to do what na ? Protect poverty abi
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 3:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
Promoting peace and harmony is one thing but do we forget that even christians feel pain and bleed when cut; yes, we do die when beheaded like other humans. Not saying CAN is pushing violence but the main is, I sought of think this is the organizations way of getting the government to know that people are not going to continue sitting on their hands if nothing is done about the situation in the country. People may not already have guns but most all households have machetes or some form of weapon with which they intend to defend self with should these riots get to their area. There are already thousands of Nigerians who own guns; Not sure how many of them are legal but they definitely exist. Many have never fired a shot in their life but they anticipate that they may have to some day. It is hard to sit back and do nothing when you know that the chances that it may happen in your area soon gets higher by the day.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by larez(m): 3:06pm On Feb 25, 2009
Nigerians tend to react emotionally to things without giving careful thoughts to them. Here, people are shouting that there will be chaos etc etc, I'd like to ask everyone a question: Why do they think America and other Western Nations have Nuclear weapons? Now, think again?

Sure there will be a lot of area boys that will kill each other off. But do you remember the last time you were driving and your car stalled? Do you remember how other drivers started shouting and insulting you? Nigeria is a very rude society, and there is a lot of disrespect for the unknown person. People talk down at each other without regards for dignity. Well, if a few people got out of their cars and shot the rude fools, then Nigerians will start to learn to be respectful of each other. With respect comes dignity. Once we default to respecting each other, then we will also respect ourselves.

In Georgia, USA there is a city Northwest of Atlanta called Kennesaw. In Kennesaw, it is illegal not to have a firearm in each household. This means that you are required by law to arm your Family. Guess what? Kennesaw has virtually no crime. People don't break into people's houses, and people mind there own business. With neighbourhood policing as well, dubious characters are reported easily by phone to the police to investigate them.

The United States will probably never use a Nuclear bomb anywhere. But the United States is very comfortable that no rogue government will be declaring war on them easily. They have the deterrence. If Omo-onile knew that you were armed, he won't be coming to your home to make noise and threaten you. See if any Omo-onile will dare go anywhere near a project that a Soldier is constructing.

In Nigeria, the rogues, criminals and the politicians are the ones armed. The average man relies on divine mercies. Nigerians should fight for their rights to protect themselves, especially since the government fails to. We have heard of how robbers robbed homes and raped wives in front of their husbands. The only reason being that the criminals were the only ones armed. I can easily tell you that before anyone rapes my woman, I will take on 10 armed men with a pistol and rather die with the dignity of knowing that I am taking 6 off them along with me. Most of these criminals are cowards anyway, and it sometimes only takes standing up to them. This is the same with our criminal politicians. Can you imagine the fear it will instill in them knowing that if they keep stealing our future, one person might break one day and come shooting at them in the National Assembly.

Nigerians need to really look outside the box and understand that arming the average man might be what we need to change the paradigm in Nigeria. Politicians won't be as brazen in their exploitation of the people, and area boys will get out and find jobs. There will be much more respect shown to the unknown person, and verbal abuses shall cease in public. Armed thugs will have to realize that they may not return alive when they take on missions against the innocent. This may just be the change that we need.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by darqly(m): 3:42pm On Feb 25, 2009
Well CAN is between the devil and the deep blue literally. Whilst I cannot and will not allow any heathen murderer slit my throat when he gets the sudden urge, I think legalizing guns will ruin Nigeria. We let corruption taint everything, imagine more wrong hands having access to guns; juveniles; jealous lovers; fed-up investors, Hell, I'll even buy one myself!!

I shudder at the thought. But, enough is enough. I guess moslems will mellow if they realize their 'sacrificial lambs' grew sabre-teeth overnight.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Nobody: 3:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
darqly:

Well CAN is between the devil and the deep blue literally. Whilst I cannot and will not allow any heathen murderer slit my throat when he gets the sudden urge, I think legalizing guns will ruin Nigeria. We are corruption taint everything, imagine more wrong hands having access to guns; juveniles; jealous lovers; fed-up investors, Hell, I'll even buy one myself!!

I shudder at the thought. But, enough is enough. I guess moslems will mellow if they realize their 'sacrificial lambs' grew sabre-teeth overnight.

So, what do you advise CAN to do since the FG is acting deaf, dumb and blind; continue praying?
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by mustafar1: 3:51pm On Feb 25, 2009
una wan make YARADULL critique him son-in-law. after donating his daughter to the governor una think say i go easy to scold him in-law or to carry hand put for him in-law state affairs.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kenezi: 4:28pm On Feb 25, 2009
Nigeria should not try and follow any of America's examples, please.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by darqly(m): 4:40pm On Feb 25, 2009
So, what do you advise CAN to do since the FG is plating deaf, dumb and blind; continue praying?
@nuzo- Not at all!! That time has passed. I practise my christianity with WISDOM. We cannot keep on thinking a dull, self-seeking government will protect our right to worship our God.

I'm with CAN on this issue; Govt to wake up to their responsibilities or empower us to protect ourselves and our rights.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by 1luvkipsus: 4:53pm On Feb 25, 2009
That is the only solution to this persistent religious crises in the North. It might sound odd, but if you have ever stayed or staying in the North, you will understand that self protection is most needed now. Those miscreants ain't tired of causing chaos,atleast for the 'fun' of it. If everybody knows that everybody is armed, attacks on innocent persons will be greatly reduced. CAN is no fool!!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 5:30pm On Feb 25, 2009
1luvkipsus:

That is the only solution to this persistent religious crises in the North. It might sound odd, but if you have ever stayed or staying in the North, you will understand that self protection is most needed now. Those miscreants ain't tired of causing chaos,atleast for the 'fun' of it. If everybody knows that everybody is armed, attacks on innocent persons will be greatly reduced. CAN is no fool!!

At least if the Muslims in the north could stay in touch with the talibans, then, let the CAN arm their members
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Becomrrich: 5:57pm On Feb 25, 2009
To allow nigerian to carry guns would reduced the crisis. It would reduce arm robbers and police abuse and other. Nigeria society would get better, if we are normal people.  why go thru this.

But why do that, I think there are alternative to this. And it is to remove the Yorubas and bendle from Nigeria. And most or all our problem would be solved.

If Yar adua govt and the north do not do this quickly. Yar adua and the north would be in problem. They would not be able to control nigerian.

YAr adua and the north have to do this as an emergency now,  This is now a state of emergency now, Yar adua and the north have to quickly remove the yorubas and bendle area to the republic of Benin. This is a state of Emergency before everything get out of hand.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
someone has h-acked becomrich's internet connection . . . grin
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by dnex(m): 6:23pm On Feb 25, 2009
We have the right to protect and defend ourselves and our properties. But that is not the only thing that better gun laws will bring. We will also have the ability to protect our liberty. As I have said in other threads previosly, if 20% of the Nigerian populace owned licensed arms, do you think any group of soldiers will try to capitulate a legitimately elected governement?

For those of you that are shouting about violence that will follow, realise that the right to carry arms does not mean people will just wake up and rent a gun to go rob or kill like it happens today (when we don even have any gun rights yet). It means gun will be licensed to qualified members of the public. Licensed guns are not used to commit crimes, unlicensed guns are. Can anyone tell me that the robbers and asassins roaming the night today is as a result of lax gun laws?

Please, we need guns. I personally to defend my human rights. In the name of the Gods, we all have private power stations, private water works, use private healthcare and have private education. We already have private security so all we're asking is the right to enhance it. Just like once upon a time we relied on candles when NEPA struck, but now we have generators so also we're beginning to learn that these "mai guards" are not enough. We want guns.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Becomrrich: 6:43pm On Feb 25, 2009
no one did. have a nice day. Yar adua and the north have to quickly remove the yorubas and bendle area to the republic of Benin. This is a state of Emergency before everything get out of hand.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by hilli666(m): 7:30pm On Feb 25, 2009
Good means of population control. Which we urgently need right now. Driver vs police check point, armed robbers vs pastors, christian vs muslim, ethnicity vr ethnicity,
igbo vs albinos. Oya everybody begin shoot out.

Instant Civil war = Population controll=readily available real estate in VI.

Wow sounds like a plan
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Fhemmmy: 7:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
lol
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by onyxera(m): 9:46pm On Feb 25, 2009
naija aint ready 4 all man 2 cari gun, instead d police should b more equiped/trained 2 cari out their duties
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Nobody: 9:48pm On Feb 25, 2009
Christian Asso. Of Nigeria (C.A.N) who are them real pioneers of this association?? Am stil having some ill feelings that there could be somthing behind their idea of using Guns, House, what do ya'll think
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by blackspade(m): 10:00pm On Feb 25, 2009
I wonder how fast it would take for "self-defense" to turn into pre-meditated murder if this bill was to pass?

We're in the middle of a global financial crisis with millions of people losing their jobs around the world (including Nigeria)- IMO, the last thing this nation needs is more people carrying around weapons.

The people proposing this have to be insane.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by larez(m): 10:22pm On Feb 25, 2009
blackspade:

I wonder how fast it would take for "self-defense" to turn into pre-meditated murder if this bill was to pass?

We're in the middle of a global financial crisis with millions of people losing their jobs around the world (including Nigeria)- IMO, the last thing this nation needs is more people carrying around weapons.

The people proposing this have to be insane.

So your concept of sanity includes perpetuating an armed group(s) to attack, kill and maim another while the other group stays unarmed?
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by blackspade(m): 10:54pm On Feb 25, 2009
larez:

So your concept of sanity includes perpetuating an armed group(s) to attack, kill and maim another while the other group stays unarmed?
No, not at all.

What I'm doing is looking at the full scope of things.

Why is CAN sending out a bill that will enable many more people to be armed, when they could instead send out a bill that can help disarm those you're complaining about?

If more people are allowed to carry arms, and tension persists, you are asking for nothing short of civil unrest on a massive scale.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by asha80(m): 11:15pm On Feb 25, 2009
No, not at all.

Why is CAN sending out a bill that will enable many more people to be armed, [b]when they could instead send out a bill that can help disarm those you're complaining about?[/b]If more people are allowed to carry arms, and tension persists, you are asking for nothing short of civil unrest on a massive scale.

My guy this is what is supposed to happen in civilized world however nigeria is a different kettle of fish.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Kobojunkie: 12:36am On Feb 26, 2009
blackspade:

No, not at all.

Why is CAN sending out a bill that will enable many more people to be armed, [b]when they could instead send out a bill that can help disarm those you're complaining about?[/b]If more people are allowed to carry arms, and tension persists, you are asking for nothing short of civil unrest on a massive scale.

Let the line in bold be recorded as the joke of the day . . . . roflmao!!! I mean, come on!!! Who go go disarm them? Na police wey we get for naija? abi na you? roflmao!!
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by makib: 6:04am On Feb 26, 2009
If you've ever lived in the north and survived an attack by the cowards who attack unarmed men, women and children all in the name of religion, , you wont hesitate to arm yourself.
I survived such an attack in 2006 in maiduguri.
Since then, i believe we have the right for self defence.
The bastards burnt women and children alive!!!
A catholic priest was killed and burnt in front of his church near pompomari area of maiduguri.
Many other churches were burnt. pastors were killed. entire business areas were burnt down including No. 6 Ahmadu bello way, a popular area which housed over 20 shops belonging to christians.
St. Augustine catholic church (built by the british in 1949) was burnt to the ground with its schools and parish house.
NUJ building opposit it was also burnt.
the funny thing is that none of these appeared in any newspaper then. why?
the papers didnt report the burning of NUJ building!! why?
most of the gory details were not given to nigerians because it might cause another civil war!!
I support the right to be arms in self defence.
I've learnt from experience that the religious rioters dont attack people who can fight back
once, you counter attack, they flee and the stupid police come out to stop you with tear gas!! thats what they did to us on that day.
saturday 25th february 2006
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by Jakumo(m): 6:49am On Feb 26, 2009
The right to bear some categories of fire-arms already exists in Nigeria.  Basically, current Nigerian firearm regulations permit licenced civilian ownership of single and double barreled shotguns, as well as bolt-action rifles that are NOT chambered for military rounds such as the .308 or .223.

In typical Nigerian fashion, gun ownership laws have been "bent",  such that large numbers of pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns have quietly been licensed for civilians through the usual "back door" means, particularly in Eastern Nigeria.  Despite the existence this vast underground arsenal of "legal" multi-shot weapons, the criminal element still maintains a significant edge over civilians because the robbers tend to favor illegal military assault rifles and police-issue submachineguns, due to the sheer volume of withering fire those combat weapons can lay down in seconds.

Concealable pistols and machineguns are the ONLY weapons which CANNOT be licenced in Nigeria, and rightly so, since a hidden weapon is potentially more dangerous than an openly displayed gun, while a fully automatic weapon in the hands of an untrained shooter would become a very indiscriminate killer of any innocent bystanders located within the effective range of those guns, which can be up to 200 yards for the rifles.

To those opposed to the widespread circulation of guns in Nigeria, the genie is ALREADY out of the bottle, BUT, the real danger comes not from the thousands of law-abiding citizens who have armed themselves for "hunting" or more honestly, for home-defence, but from the armed robbery gangs who are never limited by legal technicalities, in terms of their weapons of choice.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by FBS: 8:26am On Feb 26, 2009
carrying weapon and in homes? hmmmm. dont even know what to say.
this country sef.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by makib: 8:39am On Feb 26, 2009
Jakumo:

The right to bear some categories of fire-arms already exists in Nigeria. Basically, current Nigerian firearm regulations permit licenced civilian ownership of single and double barreled shotguns, as well as bolt-action rifles that are NOT chambered for military rounds such as the .308 or .223.

In typical Nigerian fashion, gun ownership laws have been "bent", such that large numbers of pump-action and semi-automatic shotguns have quietly been licensed for civilians through the usual "back door" means, particularly in Eastern Nigeria. Despite the existence this vast underground arsenal of "legal" multi-shot weapons, the criminal element still maintains a significant edge over civilians because the robbers tend to favor illegal military assault rifles and police-issue submachineguns, due to the sheer volume of withering fire those combat weapons can lay down in seconds.

Concealable pistols and machineguns are the ONLY weapons which CANNOT be licenced in Nigeria, and rightly so, since a hidden weapon is potentially more dangerous than an openly displayed gun, while a fully automatic weapon in the hands of an untrained shooter would become a very indiscriminate killer of any innocent bystanders located within the effective range of those guns, which can be up to 200 yards for the rifles.

To those opposed to the widespread circulation of guns in Nigeria, the genie is ALREADY out of the bottle, BUT, the real danger comes not from the thousands of law-abiding citizens who have armed themselves for "hunting" or more honestly, for home-defence, but from the armed robbery gangs who are never limited by legal technicalities, in terms of their weapons of choice.

if that is so my brother, i'll get myself a pump action shot gun if i'm still going to live in the north.
This butchering of unarmed christians must stop.
i dont mind being killed as long as i take along many of those mother fuckers to the grave with me
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by samparian(m): 8:53am On Feb 26, 2009
I'm against issuing of licences for concealed weapons such as handguns, uzis, revolvers, etc although some nigerians own such already, especially students.
I support owning shotguns for protection.
If you've ever seen these "almajiris" in action, they weild sticks, matchetes, knives, axes, and petrol bombs. these are their primary weapons. their secondry weapon is their NUMBERS!
they move in droves like cattle, no, locusts and devour anything in their path.
Now, christains in the north prefare living in the same vicinity. Imagine this scenerio:
4 or 5 christians own guns in one street and are willing to defend their families and properties in the event of a riot. all they have to do is prepare contingency plans for such attacks and then use their plans, by taking strategic positions in their street with the willingness to "shoot to kill", and not waste bullets.
believe me, if the muslims see a big casualty of their own soil, they wont try something stupid like that again.
Re: CAN Wants Nigerians To Carry Arms (Religious Crisis) by samparian(m): 8:57am On Feb 26, 2009
hey makib, buy something like this grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Governor Obiano Constructs Nengo Bridge, Nteje Oyi LGA (Photos) / Omoyele Sowore: ‘Saraki Will Be Jailed When I Become President’ / El-Rufai Lauds Fulani, Ham For De-Escalating Tension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.