Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,925 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:35 AM

Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help (38658 Views)

"2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / See How A Student Can Earn Money Without Affecting His Studies!!! / Brief Summary Of All My Business Encounter In 2016. - I Take A Bow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Allee90: 4:35am On Jun 20, 2015
idupaul:

You are a criminal

You are anti Muslims/Islam
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by bigx(m): 4:35am On Jun 20, 2015
Just sack her aand get a dedicated person

2 Likes

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by ceejay80s(m): 4:40am On Jun 20, 2015
hilaomo:
such boldness to tell you say she dey fast on top d appointment letter when no include religious break,mean say you dey either...nack her or dey play with her too much!
I support this comment above , Jesus fasted for 40days and he still do his work of healing and preaching the gospel. Op I believe u dey fuucck the girl or u dey eye am, until u lose customers and she leavesthe job for anoda better job na him ur eye go open, is she the only person fasting?
Did u read ur thread headline? "HER FASTING IS AFFECTING MY BUSINESS"

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by spiralwedge(m): 4:45am On Jun 20, 2015
Fire her

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by loomer: 4:50am On Jun 20, 2015
Just one abi 2days fasting. Hasn't she been doing it from a younger age?

Maybe she no feel fine, cos u can't tell me she no work through out the whole day cos she was fasting.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by omodaiye(m): 4:58am On Jun 20, 2015
nedu2000:
Open a laundry mart 3months ago with just 2 staff members. Despite our owning a big washing machine the laundry man's function is ironing,removing tough stains and operating the machine. The 2nd employee's task is to go deliver those clothes to clients,compliment the laundry man's job of manual removal of tough stains and reception work.

On tuesday evening,on my return for work took a detour to my shop only to see lots of clothes piled up unwashed!!the laundry man was trying frantically to remove the tough stains manually meanwhile the lady just sat down by the reception desk doing nothing!!

When I asked her why she was working or even gone to deliver clothes to clients her reply was...."i'm fasting"
In fury, I simply got my hands dirty and started doing the cleaning and delivery before I headed back home.

Pls NLders how do i deal with this? I feel i'm being "religiously backmailed" How should employers handle muslim employees who are fasting?

human can make u sin against ur creator! So b considerate in ur own part and handle dis wit wisdom
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Vyolet(f): 5:00am On Jun 20, 2015
nedu2000:
Open a laundry mart 3months ago with just 2 staff members. Despite our owning a big washing machine the laundry man's function is ironing,removing tough stains and operating the machine. The 2nd employee's task is to go deliver those clothes to clients,compliment the laundry man's job of manual removal of tough stains and reception work.
On tuesday evening,on my return for work took a detour to my shop only to see lots of clothes piled up unwashed!!the laundry man was trying frantically to remove the tough stains manually meanwhile the lady just sat down by the reception desk doing nothing!!

When I asked her why she was working or even gone to deliver clothes to clients her reply was...."i'm fasting"
In fury, I simply got my hands dirty and started doing the cleaning and delivery before I headed back home.

Pls NLders how do i deal with this? I feel i'm being "religiously backmailed" How should employers handle muslim employees who are fasting?

Well,now we know this is your dream business,at least get out of your slumber and set your feet at work so you could own a laundry shop in reality.
Ramadan Fast commenced on thursday and not Tuesday so how come you got to the shop on Tuesday and met her fasting?
You only made up this LIE up to seek sentimental comments and cause religious argument.
Go and see how much Muslims work during fast, how many Islamic states have shut down due to Ramadan?

3 Likes

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Nobody: 5:02am On Jun 20, 2015
Business is not a Charity outfit or choir practice my friend. If she has a month of fasting which doesnt allow her to work, then send her on one month compulsory leave without pay and replace her with a temporal staff that month.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Yasirarafat: 5:02am On Jun 20, 2015

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by rman: 5:02am On Jun 20, 2015
How did such an individual get the job in the first place?

She is just lazy. For her to be bold enough to sit down and watch you, the business owner get your hands dirty tells me part of the fault is yours.

She has to go and you should more professional in dealings with your employees.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by lafex: 5:04am On Jun 20, 2015
nedu2000:

this is a cooked up story just for you to blackmail someone else religion which will never be accepted from you because no muslim fast on tuesday.
you are a bloody liar

3 Likes

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Nobody: 5:04am On Jun 20, 2015
hilaomo:
such boldness to tell you say she dey fast on top d appointment letter when no include religious break,mean say you dey either...nack her or dey play with her too much!
cool cool cool
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by maryhaam(f): 5:05am On Jun 20, 2015
agarawu23:
since you said even without fasting the girl is kinda lazy so therefore, ask her if she will spare you this month and resume after fasting because her fasting shouldn't affect your business.

But if she insist she will work, maybe you can reduce her working time and see if there is different.

in my place of work, there is reduction in the time we work and our salary still remain the same.
same here too,we close 6,buh muslim has been reduced to 5,just try balance the equation,ramadan doesn't mean laziness,and inconveniencing your bizness is not part of it,its ur decision but be lenient sir.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by modupe2: 5:09am On Jun 20, 2015
On Tuesday? Are you actually talking of this year fasting or that of last year? Because this year fasting started only on Thursday. However, since and if she hasn't been that lazy before your purported fasting, I think she could be handled with lighter hand since the fasting is just for a month.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by generalsani: 5:10am On Jun 20, 2015
But fasting did not start on tuesday??
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by lafex: 5:13am On Jun 20, 2015
Caseless:
treat them with care and love. Support them in times they need your support. Dont make it seem it is all about you and your business; put yourself in their shoe.
Since you have found the reason for her being slow in the discharge of her duty to be that she's fasting, just find a way to assist her or get someone to do that just for the month of fasting.
May God bless your business.
don't you see that the guy cooked up the story for saying that the girl fasedt on tuesday?
Maybe you should read the story again. This is just a blackmail from an anti-islam

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by lafex: 5:14am On Jun 20, 2015
generalsani:
But fasting did not start on tuesday??
the guy is a bloody liar just to blackmail muslims

2 Likes

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by jaybee3(m): 5:16am On Jun 20, 2015
What's wrong with you people (majority of the posters) for heaven sake?
As an employer, you have a responsibility to ensure duty of care is entrenched in your business processes. It's not unreasonable to expect you to be flexible by recognising and acknowledging her physical strength would be affected due to ramadan period.

Would you have complained or sacked her if she was pregnant?

Besides, I don't think you clearly defined her role from the onsent. In your own words, she is meant to complement when necessary. This to me doesn't explicitly state that's her job description as it's a role to be assumed as at when there is the need.

Anyhoo, have a 1-2-1 session with her to find the best way forward that will meet both of your needs.

PS: Maybe you need to revist your business model if as evident you are having to deal with increase demand for your services. Perhaps, what you need is another man (positive discrimination is allowed for manual jobs) instead of hiring a female with less physical attributes

Good luck
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by jaybee3(m): 5:20am On Jun 20, 2015
ceejay80s:

I support this comment above , Jesus fasted for 40days and he still do his work of healing and preaching the gospel.
"

Einstein had an high IQ, how come yours isn't up to par?

We all have different strengths and weaknesses
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by xabi148(m): 5:21am On Jun 20, 2015
I think you should pity her bt fasting is not an excuse....even my junior broder no dey complain so d excuse is not good enuff
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by PhunsukhWangdu(m): 5:23am On Jun 20, 2015
From your post it seems this is a Christian-Muslim relationship. Please don't get too furious at her so that people won't conclude you're being religiously intolerant. If her fasting has really undermined her output, please bear with her. She'll have that excuse for at most thirty days and we're in day 3 already.

But if she's not working at all complaining of fasting, please endeavour to fast with her salary too.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by busar(m): 5:25am On Jun 20, 2015
nedu2000:

On tuesday evening,on my return for work took a detour to my shop only to see lots of clothes piled up unwashed!!the laundry man was trying frantically to remove the tough stains manually meanwhile the lady just sat down by the reception desk doing nothing!

Fasting started on Thursday not Tuesday. Your comments are contradictory. earlier you said she was working actively(assisting the laundry man), later you said "it's not as if she was hardworking".

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by medeay(m): 5:25am On Jun 20, 2015
Deliver clothes, compliment the washerman and also a receptionist? Chai Nigerian!!! The unwashed clothes shouldn't be her fault because you didn't mention her in your write up to be a washerlady and complimenting the washerman doesn't mean she must always do it plus you should employ more hands if you are not a stingy business man.

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by busar(m): 5:28am On Jun 20, 2015
jaybee3:
What's wrong with you people (majority of the posters) for heaven sake?
As an employer, you have a responsibility to ensure duty of care is entrenched in your business processes. It's not unreasonable to expect you to be flexible by recognising and acknowledging her physical strength would be affected due to ramadan period.

Would you have complained or sacked her if she was pregnant?

Besides, I don't think you clearly defined her role from the onsent. In your own words, she is meant to complement when necessary. This to me doesn't explicitly state that's her job description as it's a role to be assumed as at when there is the need.

Anyhoo, have a 1-2-1 session with her to find the best way forward that will meet both of your needs.

PS: Maybe you need to revist your business model if as evident you are having to deal with increase demand for your services. Perhaps, what you need is another man (positive discrimination is allowed for manual jobs) instead of hiring a female with less physical attributes

Good luck
You really made some valid points. Best comments ever.
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by obodundo(m): 5:29am On Jun 20, 2015
radiokilla:
Was the fasting issue discussed prior to her getting the job? Business is business.
For this fasting period, she should state her possible number of days, then you pay accordingly and get another pair of hand.
You may want to encourage her anyway, that is, if she was the industrious type prior to the fasting.

I'm aware that they eat to their neckful by 5:30am, and break fast by 6:00pm so where is the fasting . Sometimes, like yesterday, i forget to eat when i'm busy with work. I work for myself,anyway.
that second paragraph is needless. We don't eat to our neckful and we don't break by 6:00 pm. You have been grossly misinformed!

4 Likes

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by muhammad3708(m): 5:29am On Jun 20, 2015
say d right tin man
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by bolaj123: 5:30am On Jun 20, 2015
nedu2000:
the half-day/half month salary option seems cool but she'll likely not cooperate,how much work would she be able to sincerely put together in about 4hrs,not as if she's always been a hard worker prior....i really don't know what to do with this lady,and this is when God don bless us with a good number of clients this month
my question is did she inform u b/4 d fasting dat she wil be involve in d fasting,if not sumtin is wrong sum where,maybe she is not happen wit d conditions of work anymore.find out from d washer man wat dey might have discuss.my bro just investigate it very well b/4 taken any decision bc as a boss u my make a decision bt. Use wisdom
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by justmenoni: 5:30am On Jun 20, 2015
I don't see that as a good excuse, my wife is a moslem and she still work, ur staff is giving you that excuse cos: u hv been to friendly with her or cos it's not a company such as banks,food production etc would she hv told the manager there that she can't come to work or perform her official duties?

Mind u I am a Christian and I do fast sometimes as well as go to work and perform my official duties,the only thing I might do is break at 3pm.

If she can't perform her duties then let her stay at home till Ramadan is over and employ someone to work on part time basis....

What if ur other worker did the same at the same time?? So ur.business will be closed down? Are u running an No?

U need to speak with ur staff's and let them understand business ethics is important than personal ethics and at such been religious should be ignored in a business premises..

Op if you go get Christian, moslem, unbelievers as ur staff..how u wan take manage them??

quote author=nedu2000 post=34918168]Open a laundry mart 3months ago with just 2 staff members. Despite our owning a big washing machine the laundry man's function is ironing,removing tough stains and operating the machine. The 2nd employee's task is to go deliver those clothes to clients,compliment the laundry man's job of manual removal of tough stains and reception work.

[/quote]
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 20, 2015
Wat rubbish! Na so dem take dey blow up everywhere wit their religion wahala! Fire her assss

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by Sheriff19: 5:34am On Jun 20, 2015
radiokilla:
Was the fasting issue discussed prior to her getting the job? Business is business.
For this fasting period, she should state her possible number of days, then you pay accordingly and get another pair of hand.
You may want to encourage her anyway, that is, if she was the industrious type prior to the fasting.

I'm aware that they eat to their neckful by 5:30am, and break fast by 6:00pm so where is the fasting . Sometimes, like yesterday, i forget to eat when i'm busy with work. I work for myself,anyway.
bro just wake up around that time to eat to your neckfull and kwn how smooth it will be. And pls 4get to eat ur food, drink water or chew anyting as u did yesterday for just 7 days continiously and next day u can check ur weight ( and besides we are not fasting because we are buzy, we are fasting because we are commaned to). Well to OP. I kind understand how u fill biZ is biZ, but am short of words. At the same time thou fasting may surely reduce one workout, let her kwn u re not comfortable with her action and since u re the owner of ur biz. But for the past 3 month has she bn d same. If this has bn her atitude u may do has ur mind directed u. But if this is not, u may be a bit considerate ( if she is not fasting but sick for one month wld you have sacked her.)
Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by jaybee3(m): 5:35am On Jun 20, 2015
Jenams:
Wat rubbish! Na so dem take dey blow up everywhere wit their religion wahala! Fire her assss

You aren't any better you bigoted PUNK!

1 Like

Re: Her Fasting Is Affecting My Business. Pls Help by EazyMoh(m): 5:38am On Jun 20, 2015
Caseless:
treat them with care and love. Support them in times they need your support. Dont make it seem it is all about you and your business; put yourself in their shoe.
Since you have found the reason for her being slow in the discharge of her duty to be that she's fasting, just find a way to assist her or get someone to do that just for the month of fasting.
May God bless your business.

see don't encourage 'religious blackmail' as he puts it. fasting is no excuse for not working or not working efficiently! most Muslims are not affected by fasting in their works even those that do heavy work like firewood cutting, load pushers or stone breakers. many do it even under hot weather without even drinking water.
her case to me is unacceptable. As I notice you just want to be lenient, I suggest you pay her half her salary (as payment for her reception and desk job) and employ a temporary staff to be doing the rest.
FYI I am a Muslim also.
Ramadan Kareem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

HAMPER! HAMPERS!! HAMPERS!!! (contents And Prices) / With No Doubt. Fiverr Is The Very Easier Way To Earn Money Online / Prince Olisa, Arthur Eze’s Son Dedicates First Son (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.