Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior (23295 Views)

World Sickle Cell Day / June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 10:57am On Jun 19, 2015

Following a mysterious bone pains at age 8, I found out I had sickle cell anaemia,
It wasn't easy to mange it then.
To start with,

Sickle cell is a blood disorder that is hereditary n starts from when one is born,
So what happened? Why did mine wait till I was 8 before it started?

Funny enough, my mum said I was never sick as a baby n the only problem I had was measles,
I grew curious n asked my doctor,
After a number of 'no idea' replies he came up with an hypoyhesis where he claimed that my healthy look n lack of crisis or sickle cell symptoms till age 8 was as a result of extensive breast feeding.
Still don't know if his hypothesis is wrong or right.

Life as a warrior wasn't easy but what helped me was the refusal to accept self pity in my life,
Crazy enough, I happen to belong to a class of people who are intelligent,
After coming first in exams, I kept telling myself on n on that I was better than those with normal RBCs
I believed it too n that worked for me!
I had a dream n I wanted to accomplish it irrespective of my health difference n the set backs I suffered as a sickler
I refused to receive pitied love, in fact I got disgusted when people became nicer to me just cos they found out I have sickle cell anaemia.
I refused to compromise, I dreamed like every normal person.

How did I do it all??
1. I just believed in myself
2. I took care of my health, you know, eat at the right time, avoided stuff that contained iron, avoided extremely bitter things, made sure the weather was conducive for me, drank lots of water n took fruits.
3. I never depended on the drugs
4. I set goals for myself
5. I discovered who I am n who I wanted to be
6. I gave no room to self pity or pity from others
7. I saw sickle cell anaemia as a challenge not a disease
8. I never allowed myself to get intimidated by those with normal RBCs
9. I just kept FIGHTING n NEVER GAVE UP.

Tell you what, I don't take folic acid everyday, I don't take any drugs at all currently but my lifestyle has kept me away from hospital for 1year n 8months now,

If I can do it....you can do better cos we all are warriors.

To those who have loved ones who are warriors, keep encouraging,
Its not easy but its POSSIBLE!

Let's spread the awareness n keep FIGHTING!

152 Likes 37 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by WaleGent(m): 11:01am On Jun 19, 2015
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by angieberry(f): 11:02am On Jun 19, 2015
Inspiring story, although funny.
Congrats, op, continue making exploits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 19, 2015
angieberry the reason why its funny to you is cos you have no idea what's like to have sickle cell anaemia

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by angieberry(f): 11:10am On Jun 19, 2015
Don't get me wrong. The part I found funny was when the doctor told you that you were healthy because You fed long on breast milk. Didn't mean to sound insensitive embarassed
treasuremabel:
angieberry the reason why its funny to you is cos you have no idea what's like to have sickle cell anaemia

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:12am On Jun 19, 2015
Aiit but am a 'she' not a 'he'
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by angieberry(f): 11:14am On Jun 19, 2015
Modifed
treasuremabel:
Aiit but am a 'she' not a 'he'

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 11:17am On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel:

Following a mysterious bone pains at age 8, I found out I had sickle cell anaemia,
It wasn't easy to mange it then.
To start with,

Sickle cell is a blood disorder that is hereditary n starts from when one is born,
So what happened? Why did mine wait till I was 8 before it started?

Funny enough, my mum said I was never sick as a baby n the only problem I had was measles,
I grew curious n asked my doctor,
After a number of 'no idea' replies he came up with an hypoyhesis where he claimed that my healthy look n lack of crisis or sickle cell symptoms till age 8 was as a result of extensive breast feeding.
Still don't know if his hypothesis is wrong or right.

Life as a warrior wasn't easy but what helped me was the refusal to accept self pity in my life,
Crazy enough, I happen to belong to a class of people who are intelligent,
After coming first in exams, I kept telling myself on n on that I was better than those with normal RBCs
I believed it too n that worked for me!
I had a dream n I wanted to accomplish it irrespective of my health difference n the set backs I suffered as a sickler
I refused to receive pitied love, in fact I got disgusted when people became nicer to me just cos they found out I have sickle cell anaemia.
I refused to compromise, I dreamed like every normal person.

How did I do it all??
1. I just believed in myself
2. I took care of my health, you know, eat at the right time, avoided stuff that contained iron, avoided extremely bitter things, made sure the weather was conducive for me, drank lots of water n took fruits.
3. I never depended on the drugs
4. I set goals for myself
5. I discovered who I am n who I wanted to be
6. I gave no room to self pity or pity from others
7. I saw sickle cell anaemia as a challenge not a disease
8. I never allowed myself to get intimidated by those with normal RBCs
9. I just kept FIGHTING n NEVER GAVE UP.

Tell you what, I don't take folic acid everyday, I don't take any drugs at all currently but my lifestyle has kept me away from hospital for 1year n 8months now,

If I can do it....you can do better cos we all are warriors.

To those who have loved ones who are warriors, keep encouraging,
Its not easy but its POSSIBLE!

Let's spread the awareness n keep FIGHTING!
Before I read.. I'm joining the campaign..

Nlanders: Let's roll it..

It's the Sickle Cell Awareness Day!
Simply put, sickle cell anaemia is a hereditary genetic disease, which got its
name from the crescent-shaped red blood cells. These cells, instead of moving
freely through the blood vessels, tend to stick to the sides or walls of the blood
vessels thereby resulting in blockages. In the short term, it can cause severe
pains or infections while its long term consequences could be organ damage,
strokes and early deaths.
¤We advocate for investments in finding effective treatments that will cripple
this genetic disease as well as affordable care acts for the “Sickle Cell Warriors''.
With the right information about its management, people living with the
disorder can stay healthy and live long.

Why not join the Campaign and prevent the death of a100,000 infant every year
from the disease... and 40million Nigerians with the genetic disorder?

Take a selfie with these inscription;I am (Your name) I support a #SickleCell free
generation!

[size=18pt] #LeaveTheSympathy #SupportTheAwaereness #ASickleCellFreeNation #TheSurvivingSpirit .. #TeamWarriors[/size]
2pic: My copy

Ymodulus
Patrickdarlins
Abali1
Mizmycoli
Priscaoge
Aridsexy
Tallesty1
Naijaboiy
Emusmith
Flawles
Davep
Agarawu23
TomFrench SNAZZY5050 FLOW1759 ADEMOLADEJI AYIMA WENSON SWAGGAVILLAGE SCENTMARLC AKPOSY JARIZOD FREEMANAN AGARAWU23 LEKINZ IAMSYNORD MEDORADO SOSIQDUDE LAMISPACo KIZMARTY JAYHANS WARRIBOY21 AFUYE RAPLAWD TOLZEAL Iamkingzlee Topahz Twaci Raplawd blebleswag and all

Cc: Lalasticlala
Ishilove

18 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by agarawu23(m): 11:19am On Jun 19, 2015
Nice one dahjhi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 19, 2015
To everyone living with the disease,your a warrior keep fighting.
Lalasticlala this na front page material abeg.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 19, 2015
Proudly a WARRIOR!

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by DankemzI(m): 11:29am On Jun 19, 2015
@Op fight on, you're a warrior.
***Modified ***
Just Goggled it!
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by barry40: 11:29am On Jun 19, 2015
May God help the people in this category. It's never their own making. Therefore, we need to support and encourage them. With God nothing shall be impossible. My prayer is that, it shall turn to them a testimony. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by ifynwaba(m): 11:29am On Jun 19, 2015
G
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Saeed348(m): 11:30am On Jun 19, 2015
F
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by thefakestan: 11:30am On Jun 19, 2015
Wishing you more fruitful years.

ThefakeStan

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by ibkgab001: 11:30am On Jun 19, 2015
God will make you guys whole you are blessed with abundant health in Jesus name

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 11:31am On Jun 19, 2015
agarawu23:
Nice one dahjhi
Oya leggo bro smiley Be the first contestant to post yours smiley
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by daamazing(m): 11:31am On Jun 19, 2015
.Wow lot of things to learn from dis
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 19, 2015
Congrats to all HB-SS people. You inspire us every day by your constant courage in the face of such adversity.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by EagleScribes: 11:33am On Jun 19, 2015
Wow. drops of tears down my face sad

I hereby suggest a forum or a pinned thread be made for our galant warriors in the health section. It will help so many others who need help, information and ideas.

How many will agree with me? Please let's push for this so that our MODS can help us out on this.

God bless the warriors. They are conquerors

Bless you treasuremabel

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by maxiuc(m): 11:33am On Jun 19, 2015
wink Team AA Genotype

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by DrTee1(m): 11:33am On Jun 19, 2015
Permit me to ask: As someone with sickle cell who avoids iron containing substances and drugs to avoid iron overload, how do you cope and avoid anaemia when or if pregnant?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:34am On Jun 19, 2015
ifynwaba:
G
Saeed348:
F

Stop eating the indomie
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Pavore9: 11:34am On Jun 19, 2015
l can relate to it. My brother is a warrior, now a husband and a father but the stress we went through no get part 2 but we are most grateful to God that he is very healthy looking today, very conscious of his diet and regular with his supplements.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by mzrammy(f): 11:35am On Jun 19, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by jnrbayano(m): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2015
Intending couples please check the compatibility of your Genotype before saying I do.

You are a warrior indeed. Good one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by shadowripper(f): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2015
treasuremabel

What medications do you take?

Cos I still cant beliv you dont use drugs even if you dont depend on them

At least hydroxyurea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by UnknownT: 11:36am On Jun 19, 2015
I have a friend, a sickler. He is in his late 20's. He enjoys smoking and alcohol. We have tried talking to him to stop such lifestyle cry
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Minet16(m): 11:37am On Jun 19, 2015
b
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 19, 2015
shadowripper:
What medications do you take?

Norflex, folic acids, bico, astymine syrup

But currently I don't take any medications, just fruit n enough water everyday
Yea sounds impossible right? but I took those drugs last like 8months ago

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Latunde Odeku, Nigeria's First Neurosurgeon / Baby Born By Mentally Challenged Woman In Ondo Named After Ondo 1st Lady(pics) / My Right Eyelid Is Moving Uncontrollably

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.