Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,010 members, 7,799,451 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) (5870 Views)

7 Healthy Ways To Fry Foods / How To Make Delicious Akara (bean Ball)..what I Had For Breakfast Yesterday! / How Do You Make 'hard Crusted' Fried Bean Cake (akara)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 7:37am On Jun 20, 2015
Hi house, I'm wondering if anyone could put me through on how to fry akara, I have tried it several times, but on frying it comes out so flat and scattered most times, I guess there is something I'm getting wrong with the mix! Or? Waiting for your inputs please

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 20, 2015
Mtchwww iits easy na, grind the beans and fry iit grin
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Portsmouth86(f): 7:54am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:
Hi house, I'm wondering if anyone could put me through on how to fry akara, I have tried it several times, but on frying it comes out so flat and scattered most times, I guess there is something I'm getting wrong with the mix! Or? Waiting for your inputs please

Hi Jannies

I didn't want to read and run, I had a look online for you though, as I'm not Nigerian myself however I am learning to cook different recipes for my husband, and I'm pretty hooked on Naija food cheesy

Check this out...

http://www.9jafoodie.com/akara-acaraje/

The shape of the akara is affected by two factors: thickness of the pureed beans and your method of frying. Shallow frying or watery batter will result in flat akara.

Good luck, I'm sure you don't need it, but I hope this helps

Kind regards

Karen

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2015
Its either theres too much water or it was grinded too soft, the former should be the case. Add less water next time, that should do.

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 8:03am On Jun 20, 2015
wao! Your husband is from which tribe? Yoruba I guess
Portsmouth86:

Hi Jannies

I didn't want to read and run, I had a look online for you though, as I'm not Nigerian myself however I am learning to cook different recipes for my husband, and I'm pretty hooked on Naija food cheesy

Check this out...

The shape of the akara is affected by two factors: thickness of the pureed beans and your method of frying. Shallow frying or watery batter will result in flat akara.

Kind regards

Karen

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 8:08am On Jun 20, 2015
vimi:
Mtchwww iits easy na, grind the beans and fry iit grin

It's not that easy o! For akara I can bet on that,it sure requires some special skill! grin Btw ure even a guy sef u cant understand!
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 8:10am On Jun 20, 2015
Portsmouth86:

Hi Jannies

Check this out...

Kind regards

Karen

Hmmm thanks Karen! Will sure check out that site, I think I'm a culprit of shallow frying,that might just be the issue! Thanks alot dearie!

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 8:11am On Jun 20, 2015
SuperSuave:
Its either theres too much water or it was grinded too soft, the former should be the case. Add less water next time, that should do.

Thanks, will check that out too! do u fry akara? Being that you are a guy lol...

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Portsmouth86(f): 8:12am On Jun 20, 2015
SuperSuave:
wao! Your husband is from which tribe? Yoruba I guess

He is indeed, we are still in two different countries, patience is a virtue I believe, in the meantime until he comes to the UK, I am working hard,going to church, also learning to speak Yoruba and cook the food, luckily I have a few friends here that are also Nigerian who are helping me to achieve my goals.

Stay blessed

Karen

2 Likes

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Portsmouth86(f): 8:14am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

Hmmm thanks Karen! Will sure check out that site, I think I'm a culprit of shallow frying,that might just be the issue! Thanks alot dearie!

Anytime wink

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 8:22am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

Thanks, will check that out too! do u fry akara? Being that you are a guy lol...
guy? Lol..only in this part of the world. Well, I fry good akara. If a guy doesn't know how to prepare foods, he will either spend a good percentage of his income in eateries or eat whatever rubbish is given to him freely and I'm not ready to do any of that.

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

It's not that easy o! For akara I can bet on that,it sure requires some special skill! grin Btw ure even a guy sef u cant understand!
grin grin grin
Am just a guy anyway!
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by tpiander: 8:26am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

its not rocket science plz.

and men commonly fry it in the middle east.

if you can fry egg, you can fry akara, stop making a storm in a teacup.
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 8:26am On Jun 20, 2015
Portsmouth86:

He is indeed, we are still in two different countries, patience is a virtue I believe, in the meantime until he comes to the UK, I am working hard,going to church, also learning to speak Yoruba and cook the food, luckily I have a few friends here that are also Nigerian who are helping me to achieve my goals.

Stay blessed

Karen
wow! That's really really good. You're a perfect example of what we call "Wife material". Wishing you success in your marriage.smiley

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by tpiander: 8:26am On Jun 20, 2015
here they go again. undecided

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Portsmouth86(f): 8:35am On Jun 20, 2015
SuperSuave:
wow! That's really really good. You're a perfect example of what we call "Wife material". Wishing you success in your marriage.smiley

Aww thank you, we only recently got married in Ikoyi on 25th March, and yes I wore traditional dress, I have been twice to Lagos in the last 6 months, and got stuck in with the dishes and washing the laundry outside (nothing fazes me), I absolutely loved it, everyone was so welcoming smiley

5 Likes

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 10:00am On Jun 20, 2015
SuperSuave:
guy? Lol..only in this part of the world. Well, I fry good akara. If a guy doesn't know how to prepare foods, he will either spend a good percentage of his income in eateries or eat whatever rubbish is given to him freely and I'm not ready to do any of that.

Wow, I envy your wife, or wife to be, honestly such men like you are hard to find! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 10:06am On Jun 20, 2015
tpiander:

its not rocket science plz.

and men commonly fry it in the middle east.

if you can fry egg, you can fry akara, stop making a storm in a teacup.

Well Mr or Mrs tpiander, if you are in the middle east and men commonly fry it there just like eggs, maybe it's one of your traditional delicacies ( if you are from there anyways), for me, I am a very good cook, but frying akara isn't like frying eggs, and that's why I decided to ask, I know the recipe but I know I am missing something out either too watery or whatever, no one knows it all, even the best chefs make mistakes
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 10:11am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

Wow, I envy your wife, or wife to be, honestly such men like you are hard to find! Keep it up!
wow! Thanks ma'am, I'll add this to my list of accolades. smiley

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by SuperSuave(m): 10:13am On Jun 20, 2015
Portsmouth86:

Aww thank you, we only recently got married in Ikoyi on 25th March, and yes I wore traditional dress, I have been twice to Lagos in the last 6 months, and got stuck in with the dishes and washing the laundry outside (nothing fazes me), I absolutely loved it, everyone was so welcoming smiley

your hubby is lucky I must say. smiley

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by tpiander: 10:14am On Jun 20, 2015
jannies:

Well Mr or Mrs tpiander, if you are in the middle east and men commonly fry it there just like eggs, maybe it's one of your traditional delicacies ( if you are from there anyways), for me, I am a very good cook, but frying akara isn't like frying eggs, and that's why I decided to ask, I know the recipe but I know I am missing something out either too watery or whatever, no one knows it all, even the best chefs make mistakes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Gcufwks10
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:08pm On Jun 20, 2015
For me, the tips for puffy beans cake are:
1. Less water when blending and
2. Working the beans puree by stirring it for a few minutes. This is to introduce air into the puree so the cakes can rise and have puffy texture after frying.

If you stay in Nigeria, try to visit the local beans cake frying shops to see for yourself.

Happy cooking.

1 Like

Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by jannies: 6:47pm On Jun 24, 2015
ferhyntorlah:
For me, the tips for puffy beans cake are:
1. Less water when blending and
2. Working the beans puree by stirring it for a few minutes. This is to introduce air into the puree so the cakes can rise and have puffy texture after frying.

If you stay in Nigeria, try to visit the local beans cake frying shops to see for yourself.

Happy cooking.

Thanks ferhy, really looking forward to trying it again!
Re: Can Somone Teach Me How To Fry Akara (bean Cake) by Trexnemesis(m): 7:41am On Jul 28, 2018
jannies:

Thanks ferhy, really looking forward to trying it again!

Mtcheeeeeeew. Who doesn't know how to cook simple akara?

(1) (Reply)

My 7 Favorite Nigerian Seafood Recipes / What Do You Call The Outside Piece Of Bread / Nigerian Christmas Dinner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.