Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,413 members, 7,808,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) (46835 Views)

Widow Banished For Having Sex On Late Husband’s Bed In Ebonyi (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / Father Caught Daughter With Her Boyfriend In Ebonyi Having Sex (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by lalasticlala(m): 5:18pm On Jun 21, 2015
A man, Onyema Orji was at the weekend in Nwakpu, Ikwo Local Government Area of Ebonyi State, forced to ‘officially’ marry his dead wife, Blessing so as to posses the children born for him by the deceased.
Orji had divorced Blessing on the ground that her mother was interfering in their marriage, forcing Blessing to marry another man, one Chukwuma.
The former marriage between Blessing and Orji produced children including twins; while the present union failed to produce any child. Blessing later died.

But there was drama during the burial when the first husband, Onyema Orji brought items for her burial and wanted to take the children born for him by the late Blessing, but was told by Blessing’s family that he could bury her but could not take possession of the children as he had not performed the traditional marriage rite that will empower him to claim the children.

This forced Onyema to perform the traditional marriage rite on Blessing who was lying motionless inside casket awaiting the burial. He later performed the traditional marriage rite and wedded Blessing and subsequently left with his children.

http://newtelegraphonline.com/man-weds-dead-wife/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by agarawu23(m): 5:19pm On Jun 21, 2015
shocked

I think say na only our 9ja film this thing dey happen o

I beg I no fit do am even if they offer me $1m.

A good lesson why you should marry your wife legally undecided

36 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by sultan457: 5:22pm On Jun 21, 2015
Nigeria and superstition can never be separated

5 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
This country will never move forward if people are still practicing these superstitious nonsense.
So someone would agree to perform marriage rites on a dead person just because of some damn belief?
What foolishness.

People need to throw away all this useless cultural practices because it will lead us nowhere.

27 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by witiwiti: 5:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
I hate traditions I love culture

3 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by justi4jesu(f): 5:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
angry

2 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by elantraceey(f): 5:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by eyeview: 5:29pm On Jun 21, 2015
Its a practice that is used to discourage all these men who'll take a fellow man's daughter into their homes where they'll be having kids without proper marriage. In any event the woman dies,the man would be made to conduct a proper marriage with her corpse before anything.
Though not in support of that act in places where practised but it should be a deterrent to all these single guys who wouldn't do the proper thing but wants to have kids.

55 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by 3ace(m): 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2015
Serves him right-Why didn't he perform the traditional rite before now? You are from the same tribe and I'm sure you must have been aware that this is what will happen if she dies. I guess he was just taking it for granted.

14 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by nerodenero: 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2015
That tradition is overboard.

While in Anambra State, a friend of mine who hails from Akwa Ibom had the same challenge. After having a child for him and before the set date of his traditional wedding, his wife-to-be died. He had to perform all the traditional marriage rites afterward.

According to him, after due consultation about the remote cause of her death, they alleged that his wife-to-be was fired with nails. I have never heard that before undecided. He said after being fired these nails which I feel is spiritual, it is forbidden for the individual in question to receive injections. His wife had received injections in the hospital after she had come down with an unknown illness.

Really weird world.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Atk01(f): 5:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
Totally ridiculous!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nancydearie(f): 5:44pm On Jun 21, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 21, 2015
when buhari said i belong ti nobody i belong to everybody

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Trypa(f): 6:00pm On Jun 21, 2015
It's a tradition in most igbo land even in my village u can't claim children when didn't pay the moda's marriage rite

So notin special cool

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 6:03pm On Jun 21, 2015
Eyaaa
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Bantino(m): 6:20pm On Jun 21, 2015
Na wah oooo, this kinda tradition should be abolished. (my 20 kobo)
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bebe2(f): 6:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Best tradition ever,

If u can put someone's daughter in ur house , impregnate her, and put her thru labour without paying her dowry then u are obviously looking for trouble.

The family are quiet nice, he wud ave been asked to share a room with the corpse for a night then he wud appreciate the importance of legally marrying a woman.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by CLASSMAN: 6:27pm On Jun 21, 2015
This story get k leg o, can u divorce someone u are not properly married to?

13 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 21, 2015
sometimes I forget there's a state called ebonyi.

Meanwhile that tradition is so backward!!! It should be abolished.. This is 2015 abeg! How would we ever move forward as a pple nitori Olohun?! undecided

4 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by corisande: 6:40pm On Jun 21, 2015

whats new there?
It's a tradition in some parts of igbo land.
if you kwaranbiri someone's daughter without paying her bride price, in death the family demand its paid too.

5 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by ifyan(m): 6:43pm On Jun 21, 2015
Serve as a punishment to others that doesn't control their third leg to produce when not necessary or capable.

We all should do the right thing in life.
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by egopersonified(f): 6:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
All them baby papas, take note

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by Vision4God: 6:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
Strange things happening. Dats mor lik ritual
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by xynerise: 6:58pm On Jun 21, 2015
It's not new

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by YerYer: 7:23pm On Jun 21, 2015
Gross
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by adenine02: 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Pinshur ple undecided
Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by williams368(m): 7:24pm On Jun 21, 2015
Datz bulshit... Igbo land wit money... Dey dnt value life's wen it cmes 2 money. No wonder dey hv d highest nos of runs babes.

2 Likes

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by tsdarkside(m): 7:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
perfect...

the age of reasoning is returning...this is good news....

1 Like

Re: Man Weds Dead Wife In Ebonyi (find Out Why) by bunmioguns(m): 7:25pm On Jun 21, 2015
what he ought to have done before

Serves him right

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is She A Prostitute Or A Caring Mom? / Why Is The Man The Head Of The Family? / Finally, I Have Decided To Leave Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.