Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,046 members, 7,807,138 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

What You Don't Know About Namibia - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What You Don't Know About Namibia (4061 Views)

If You are A Nigerian, Don't Ever Think Of Going To Namibia, read this.. / Photos: The Beautiful African City Of Windhoek, Capital Of Namibia / BONNY ISLAND, Nigeria. A Beautiful City Many Don't Know Of.[history&pictures] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What You Don't Know About Namibia by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 22, 2015
Namibia nicknamed the Land of the Brave is situated on the southwestern coast of Africa and bordered on the north by Angola and Zambia, on the east by Botswana, and on the east and south by South Africa. It is a country popular for its desert, sand dumes and safaris. Namibia is a tourist destination that you don’t necessarily need a visa to visit as far as you don’t stay beyond 90 days. For more information contact a Namibian Embassy nearest to you.

Facts

Population: Slightly more than 2.3 million.

Capital City: Windhoek which means “windy corner” in Afrikaans is the country’s biggest city with around 322,000 inhabitants.

Official name: Republic of Namibia

Independence Day: March 21, 1990

Language: English (official) 7%, Afrikaans is the commonest language amongst the population and of about 60% of the white population, German 32%; indigenous languages: Oshivambo, Herero, Nama: 1%.

Literacy: The current literacy rate in Namibia is about 83%, one of the highest in Africa.

Currency: The Namibia Dollar (N$); the Namibia Dollar and South African Rand are the only legal tender in Namibia and can be used freely to purchase goods and services.

Religion: Christian 80%–90% (Lutheran at least 50%), indigenous beliefs 10%–20%.

Country Dialing Code +264.

Life Expectancy: 49 years

Literacy Percent: 84

Ethnicity/race: Ovambo found in Northern Namibia is the largest ethnic group with about 50% of the total population, 9% to the Kavangos tribe; other ethnic groups are Herero 7%, Damara 7%, Nama 5%, Caprivian 4%, Bushmen 3%, Baster 2%, Tswana 0.5%.

Etosha National Park is one of Africa’s finest parks, home the Africa’s tallest elephants, the endangered black rhino, and 91 other species of mammal.

The Namib desert which means open space, is the world’s oldest desert at 80 million years.

Dragon’s Breath is the largest underground lake in the world.

The NamibRand Nature Reserve, one of the largest privately-owned game reserves in Africa.

The largest free-roaming cheetah population in the world is found in Namibia – estimated to be between 2,500 – 3,000 cheetahs.

Namibia is said to be largely free from malaria.

Namibians experience more than 300 days of sunshine per year.

The largest conservation area in Namibia is the Namib-Naukluft Park which is also one of the largest in the world.

http://digest.bellafricana.com/interesting-facts-about-namibia/

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by Judeoxide(m): 1:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
Ok now I know so
Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by yungEX(m): 1:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
I love Namibia dope country

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by BOKO52(m): 12:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
I can't wait to vist this country nambia..

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by corpROYAL(m): 3:17pm On Jul 14, 2016
I have visited this country before and it a nice country. Their people are so friendly, it just like south africa and their economy ready depend on south africa they spend the same currency. They are bless with diamond and a very good tourism atmospere.

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by ebimarian: 6:36pm On Aug 28, 2016
corpROYAL:
I have visited this country before and it a nice country. Their people are so friendly, it just like south africa and their economy ready depend on south africa they spend the same currency. They are bless with diamond and a very good tourism atmospere.

hello corp...please how is life over there, im thinking of relocating on legal grounds though...applying for work visa and all

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by stevesheddy(m): 2:50pm On Feb 12, 2017
What are requirements to get a tourist visa to Namibia?

1 Like

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by dowjones(m): 4:02am On Feb 24, 2017
i have been doing my research on this country and i think its a very beautiful place with nice people. and their women are soo beautiful and approachable. i look forward to visiting there

2 Likes

Re: What You Don't Know About Namibia by izito(m): 6:22am On Jul 08, 2021
what of those who wanna start business or technical jobs. Like hand work and the rest. I want to relocate there.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Women And Prostitution In Dubai / Help Studying In KENYA / Does Anyone Know About The Cost Of Living In Poland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.