Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper (26037 Views)

Lagos IGR Rises By N32.99bn — Higher Than 33 States Put Together / Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay: Punch / Senators Salary Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay - Punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by anonimi: 8:25am On Jun 23, 2015
omenka:
I think that figure was meant to be monthly salary and not annual. You can't tell me they receive 165,000 monthly.

These our publishers though. Don't they have editors??

The editors CANNOT be bothered to do their job of editing as they are also hustling to become legisLOOTERS cheesy cheesy

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2529977_nass_jpeg20217b4f045ab12789674b258da46f96

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Toks2008(m): 8:25am On Jun 23, 2015
MosakuAW:
Take away all the allowances and you will see senators resigning from their positions.

They dont care about us.

All they care is about thier family and their pocket.

Competent people who rule this country if only we can make political offices less attractive by reducing thier salaries and allowances by 75%.
And thats exactly what we want so that people oif true intent can come in.

Criminals them.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Truckpusher(m): 8:28am On Jun 23, 2015
dearpreye:

That's the sad truth bro. Till a people are united against a corrupt few, there's certainly no way forward.

A divided and seemingly confused citizenry is the biggest support for a corrupt few.
It is practically impossible to unite unless a leader will arise and discard the old system but right now it seems everyone is after the national cake and influence through power .No true love for the nation and her people .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by texazzpete(m): 8:28am On Jun 23, 2015
The worst part is that these guys pay barely any tax on their allowances.

This is why GEJ only paid 4 million as tax after 4 years as President.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by ormios234: 8:28am On Jun 23, 2015
I strongly recommend the country retains only the Senate for Federal Laws and all state houses of Assembly from each geo political Zone be merged to form regional assemblies that make laws for each zone. State governors use state houses of Assembly as puppets and the house of rep has no function. Only the Senate should be retained which makes Laws for the Federation and Regional Assemblies make laws for geopolitical Zones.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by just2endowed: 8:32am On Jun 23, 2015
Constituency allowance and project should be scrap completely. I see know reason why law makers should be embarking on a project when we have the councilor, local govt, state and federal government.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Ndukwe007(m): 8:32am On Jun 23, 2015
ope2711:
Hmmmmmmmn! And I have less than 200 naira to feed my son and my wife today. May God Almighty punish all OUR NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBERS.
AMEEEEEEN.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by philips70(m): 8:33am On Jun 23, 2015
modath:
I will never understand why 469 people feel entitled to 25% of the overhead budget of a country of 170million people...

As crazy as these amounts are though, a large chunk of the 150bn annual budget is still left unaccounted for,the devil in that detail is the constituency allowance that no LAW enpowers them to collect on behalf of their states/local govt areas, it is an usurpation of the duty of the executive arm of govt by those blood sucking leeches!!

Now this is the point I have been shouting both on Twitter. We are hitting the wrong nail. To me the salaries and allowances are fair enough since its just a 4 year job. We are talking about a budget of N150b now reduced to N120b here. These salaries and allowances just amount to about N7b+. The evil is in constituency projects. It should be stopped! Legislature has no business executing projects. Their job is making laws! But am surprised as usual with Nigerians and bandwagon effect everyone is shouting jumbo salaries and allowances. They are just laughing at us. Very soon you will hear they have agreed to 80% reduction and Nigerians will clap as they are clapping for the governors. Is it salaries and allowances these political class are using to buy exotic cars and building posh homes? I wonder when we will install sense in this country. The political class is just fucking us left, right and centre.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Toks2008(m): 8:35am On Jun 23, 2015
dearpreye:

Our being broke doesn't affect these lazy folks in any way! That's the sad fact.

If all Nigerian youths can revolt against this madness,i trust Buhari to join the campaign.

This madness is too much

THE FUTURE OF NIGERIA IN THE HANDS OF CRIMINALS,TOUTS AND CULTISTS ..

Ever since I was a young boy,I have always known I have a passion to serve people,to make people happy and to see people succeed and as I grew up,I have contributed my little quota in ensuring that people benefited immensely from my ingenious initiative of empowering people financially thereby reducing poverty and unemployment in Nigeria not until the Nigerian factor reared its head..

As a former united states of America president said ”think not of what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country”,…I guess that is true for any other country but not Nigeria. This is one country that will not do anything for you,will not allow you to do anything for her and will stop at nothing to make sure you are rendered useless for yourself and no thanks to the crazy policies of the government and the looters of our treasury and to make matters worse,we continually have criminals,touts and ritualist occupying most of the political offices and this has made me to have no hope for this country called Nigeria unless something drastic is done to stop these devils in human flesh from clamoring for political offices.

As a young politician, I have looked deeply into the political terrain and I can say that No matter how hard the government of the day or the government to come try,Nigerian will remain stagnant except the needful is done and that is talking about the crazy remuneration of political office holders.
Please lets ask ourselves these questions;

A. Is the work of any political office holder more tedious than that of a lecturer,police officer,civil servants,Army officer and other public servants?

B. Is it not he same country we all belong to?

C. What exactly makes a political office more special than that of civil servant?

I can continue to ask endless questions but I guess we all know where I am heading and this is why I believe that we will be living in fools paradise if we think we will have men of purpose,men of integrity who has the fear of GOD and the passion to serve the people clamoring for political offices when they have to compete with touts,ritualists and criminals who have seen another alternative to money ritual and armed robbery because if we juxtapose the remunerations of political office holders in Nigeria today with the proceeds from robbery operation and money ritual we will see that it is more preferable to occupy a political office where all you do is use the pen to steal billions of naira and at the end of the month take home millions of naira as remuneration. THIS IS SICKENING AND A TOTAL ABSURDITY.

As it is, there is no difference between money ritual and occupying a political office and this is why people kill to get there,people use innocent humans for sacrifice and many join a secret cult society just to occupy a political position and I keep asking “ARE ALL THESE DESPERATE MEASURE NECESSARY BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SERVE THE PEOPLE”?

Must anyone interested in clamoring for a political post go to the extent of dining with the devil? ,Obviously these people are only interested in one thing…to service their pockets and as long as these crazy remunerations are still in place,men that mean well for the country will never clamor for political offices and the few who have the guts will have to safe guard their family and be ready to be killed as we had several stories of a whole family of a senator elect in the last elections getting wiped out and this keeps me wondering if this is all about serving the people.

Why should other civil servants or employees of the Nigerian labor market take home salaries that are ridiculously less than that of political office holders? Are they not all public office holders?

This is why men of integrity and true intent will have to settle for political appointments rather than occupy vantage position where they can have direct and definitive impact on the people.

Lets not fool ourselves Nigerians, until something is done to drastically reduce the jumbo pay of all political office holders,we may never ever have people of integrity and people who truly mean well for this country coming on board and we wil have to continue to put the future of this country mostly in the hands of touts,criminals and ritualists.

GOD HELP NIGERIA.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:37am On Jun 23, 2015
Truckpusher:
That is it but would you have said this same thing if these revelations were made during Jonathan's tenure?
Guy, the salaries and allowances of members of the NASS has not changed. Many knew it even during the Jonathan's tenure. The reason there appears to be "noise" now is because of the anger of the masses in the face of the inability of some states not being able to pay salaries.

God bless the President.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by blackpanda: 8:38am On Jun 23, 2015
Nigerians are funny creatures. We all cry foul now, but most of us cant wait to be in that position to chop our own. Hell, most of us are benefitting from this excess in one way or another.

When u pay "courtesy visit" to that senator, when u invite ur uncle's friends brother who is in hor to ur son's "naming ceremony". When u go to anty in senate to help "fund" your business etc
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Nobody: 8:42am On Jun 23, 2015
Truckpusher:
It is practically impossible to unite unless a leader will arise and discard the old system but right now it seems everyone is after the national cake and influence through power .No true love for the nation and her people .

That's correct. The system hardly calls for pure nationalism and patriotism....these are the key issues....
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by mrham03(m): 8:42am On Jun 23, 2015
buhari should cut their allowances by half and reduce the number of times they get it. Its time for them to sacrifice for their country.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Nobody: 8:43am On Jun 23, 2015
blackpanda:
Nigerians are funny creatures. We all cry foul now, but most of us cant wait to be in that position to chop our own. Hell, most of us are benefitting from this excess in one way or another.

When u pay "courtesy visit" to that senator, when u invite ur uncle's friends brother who is in hor to ur son's "naming ceremony". When u go to anty in senate to help "fund" your business etc

And you the above drivel justifies the waste ongoing in the NASS?
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by PMIcon(m): 8:45am On Jun 23, 2015
ziccoit:
If the last assembly could pass 43bills in a day at a sitting, it is apparent the legislators job should not be full time and bicameral. Let them collect sitting allowance and sit only when it is required. This would also attract the best brains into the house. Same should go for states too.

I second. And let the House of representative be replaced by State Assembly Representatives (a meeting of selected members from all State Assemblies that occurs when necessary, especially at the National Assembly).
Why do we waste money and time on creating and passing bills or oversight functions. House of Reps passes a bill, Senate still debate and pass or refuse to pass. I think this is unnecessary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 23, 2015
modath:

You are depressed? Don't be till you hear of a senator that justified their humongous pay because he claims everytime he comes to his constituency for xmas, people troop to his house to eat xmas rice. cheesy .. Once a year!!

One senator believes his constituency projects begins & ends with smuggling names of his constituents onto govt job lists... Qualified or not, its not material, he has gotten them jobs, they should in turn go & "help" their people.

God will help this nation.

I agree with everything you've written till I read GOD WILL HELP THIS NATION.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 23, 2015
25 million naira is small change compared to what a senator makes. Bribery n corruption makes up most of what a senator ends. Senators are law makers n receive bribes from oligarchs like dangote, otedola n innoson, Mtn glo dem, shell, LNG and theirnlikes to make laws that will favor dem and their businesses.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Blackfire(m): 8:47am On Jun 23, 2015
Do we still need okija shrine to tell us who our enemies are? *sharpening my cutlass, and my interballistic missiles*.
No god will help us, until we deliver ourselves.
To all u thieves stealling from ur fellow poor comfortable neighbour, shame on u... Now go to work in senators,presidents,govnors,reps house
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by naijathings(m): 8:48am On Jun 23, 2015
dddrexjr:
only JESUS can CHANGE Nigeria
Church #corrupt
Elders #corrupt
Youths #EXTREMELY#CORRUPT
even me dey corr... mean CORRECT grin
Morn Y'all

Okay, Let us all sit down and wait for Mr. Jesus to finish saving those that have natural disasters in their country
and then he can come and save us from our human disaster .... or we just vote them out ourselves.

1 Like

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Edusouls(m): 8:48am On Jun 23, 2015
dddrexjr:
only JESUS can CHANGE Nigeria
Church #corrupt
Elders #corrupt
Youths #EXTREMELY#CORRUPT
even me dey corr... mean CORRECT grin
Morn Y'all
brother jesus self cant change nigeria. And let me correct you. Church#broad day extorters.elders#lovers of young girls.youths#fraud masters.politicians#origin of corruption and greed.girls#too dishonest and too greedy.boys#make money fast.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by TobiSunny: 8:50am On Jun 23, 2015
My question is Who will deliver Our Nation?
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by PMIcon(m): 8:50am On Jun 23, 2015
ormios234:
I strongly recommend the country retains only the Senate for Federal Laws and all state houses of Assembly from each geo political Zone be merged to form regional assemblies that make laws for each zone. State governors use state houses of Assembly as puppets and the house of rep has no function. Only the Senate should be retained which makes Laws for the Federation and Regional Assemblies make laws for geopolitical Zones.

Almost exactly my addition to a comment earlier on
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 23, 2015
vision2050:
Book haram and mend need to join together
to start kidnapping this greedy politicians
instead of bombing churches, mosques and
pipelines. Make yourselves useful
if only boko boys get sense as 4 MEND dy ar tryin on dat prblm
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by PMIcon(m): 8:57am On Jun 23, 2015
ope2711:
LegislaTHIEVES

You should accuse those who prepared their salaries and allowances first.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by Edusouls(m): 8:58am On Jun 23, 2015
my fellow nigerians see, this country was formed by corruption and what do you expect, nigeria with all its component is made up of corruption, even the animals in this country is corrupt.for example a nigerian goat will see wild green field to feed on,but instead it goes into somebodies farm and devastate the whole valuable crops, and once they see the owner they even recognize the person and run..
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by jidebaba69(m): 9:00am On Jun 23, 2015
This is just too much. We have to put a stop to all this rubbish.
This has to stop for the Good of this country.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by PMIcon(m): 9:01am On Jun 23, 2015
We need national political transformation.

The House of Representatives should be replaced by State Assembly Representatives (a gathering of selected members from all State Assemblies that occurs when necessary, especially at the National Assembly).
Why do we waste money and time on creating and passing bills or oversight functions. House of Reps passes a bill, Senate still debate and pass or refuse to pass. I think this is unnecessary.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by modath(f): 9:02am On Jun 23, 2015
philips70:

Now this is the point I have been shouting both on Twitter. We are hitting the wrong nail. To me the salaries and allowances are fair enough since its just a 4 year job. We are talking about a budget of N150b now reduced to N120b here. These salaries and allowances just amount to about N7b+. The evil is in constituency projects. It should be stopped! Legislature has no business executing projects. Their job is making laws! But am surprised as usual with Nigerians and bandwagon effect everyone is shouting jumbo salaries and allowances. They are just laughing at us. Very soon you will hear they have agreed to 80% reduction and Nigerians will clap as they are clapping for the governors. Is it salaries and allowances these political class are using to buy exotic cars and building posh homes? I wonder when we will install sense in this country. The political class is just [bfvcking][/b] us left, right and centre.

These people are doing the bolded without any lubricant (strong economy) to minimize our collective pains. sad

Nigeria is the place where you have the largest concentration of educated illiterates, who read & don't understand, who hear but never fully comprehend the subject matter as your post just highlighted.

If the constituency allowance & the committee funds are scrapped, you'll see them scrambling to give up their seats cos the investment will no longer be worth it..

I have a friend whose uncle resigned his post as an EGM in an IOC, got over 100m+ as severance package & proceeded to use it to bribe party officials.

He got a seat, if it wasn't a lucrative venture I'm sure he would never have ventured into that kind of thing...but he unfortunately only spent one term.. He has relocated sha. smiley

1 Like

Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by plendil: 9:03am On Jun 23, 2015
NA wa oo. shocked shocked
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by innocent1(m): 9:04am On Jun 23, 2015
The policians and the law makers has robbed us. They make the law only to favour themselve and their families. Its a pity.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by samopeyemi: 9:04am On Jun 23, 2015
A senator’s salary is pegged at N2,026,400 per annum.

I dont believe the bolded part. That's approx. N170,000 basic salary monthly.
Re: Senators’ Allowances Nine Times Higher Than Basic Pay....punch Newspaper by PMIcon(m): 9:05am On Jun 23, 2015
ope2711:
Hmmmmmmmn! And I have less than 200 naira to feed my son and my wife today. May God Almighty punish all OUR NATIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBERS.

Sorry o.

But they are not to blame for this? We forget they are not the ones that prepare their salaries and allowances. They should do something about it anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Senate: Bamidele, Ndume, Ashiru Emerge Principal Officers / Federal Executive Council Meeting [PHOTOS] / Vanguard Appologises To Tinubu For Publishing False Story About His Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.