Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:53 PM

Small Space Urban Farmers. - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Small Space Urban Farmers. (9770 Views)

Goat Farming : Zero Grazing & Urban Goat Farming / Snail Farming: Making Good Use Of A Small Space / Badagry Farmers Dance While Hanging On Bamboo Stick (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 1:11pm On Jun 24, 2015
For those who are residing in urban areas where naturally one can't think of growing things because of limited space within their abode and probably one happens to be a tenant. l am inspired to share the wooden pallet option which l did see when l visited a family.

With just a little space using pallets (Abeg one should not go and use pallets used in importing chemicals to avoid toxification) one can grow short term crops like lettuce, curry in it, imagine while cooking in your kitchen you dash to your 'farm' to get fresh curry for your stew!

2 Likes

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 3:29pm On Jun 25, 2015
This is growing lettuce within a small space through hydroponics (no soil is involved).

1 Like

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 3:34pm On Jun 25, 2015
More.

1 Like

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 4:56pm On Jun 25, 2015
If soil is not used, what is then used?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:
If soil is not used, what is then used?

Water mixed with nutrients.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 5:16pm On Jun 25, 2015
More.

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Neduzze5(m): 5:22pm On Jun 25, 2015
Can it be used to plant ugu?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 5:33pm On Jun 25, 2015
Neduzze5:
Can it be used to plant ugu?

Yes but not using the vertical stand because it has to be on the ground because of the weight the ugu pod would carry. l have eaten watermelon and strawberries grown through aquaponics (grown hydroponically using waste water from the fish pond-no soil involved)
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by olukemiyemi: 12:51am On Jun 28, 2015
Anyone has an idea of where to get hydroponic nutrients in Nigeria?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by boluwajokosegun: 3:25am On Jun 28, 2015
I can train you on how to produce hydroponic nutrient using locally available naterials call 08182355047
Or u just but d powder nutrients l impoeted from abroad & mix with water to get soluble nutrients very good for plant & purely organic
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Queendo(f): 11:40am On Jul 02, 2015
Am interested in d trainin

boluwajokosegun:
I can train you on how to produce hydroponic nutrient using locally available naterials call 08182355047
Or u just but d powder nutrients l impoeted from abroad & mix with water to get soluble nutrients very good for plant & purely organic
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by olukemiyemi: 8:07pm On Jul 03, 2015
boluwajokosegun:

Thank you. I will get in touch.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 6:08am On Aug 19, 2015
@bolayei, based on the chat l had with this Kenyan guy in the Picture, who runs an NGO that trains farmers for FREE on Hydroponics, he said what he uses as Nutrients for the lettuce in the pictures is just the regular NPK Fertilizer.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by olukemiyemi: 10:19am On Aug 19, 2015
@Pavore9. Is this set up powered by pumps which will require constant electricity?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 10:42am On Aug 19, 2015
olukemiyemi:
@Pavore9. Is this set up powered by pumps which will require constant electricity?

No pump nor electricity required. Watch this short video of the guy in the pictures l uploaded to get a clearer insight on how basic the operation is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNKY4fcxuQ
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by whitecloth: 2:57pm On Aug 19, 2015
i just watched the video now, its interesting, but more explanation is needed. pipes. water nutrients ( what nutrients)?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by whirlwind7(m): 7:12pm On Aug 19, 2015
Pavore9:
@bolayei, based on the chat l had with this Kenyan guy in the Picture, who runs an NGO that trains farmers for FREE on Hydroponics, he said what he uses as Nutrients for the lettuce in the pictures is just the regular NPK Fertilizer.

Interesting!
Been thinking one needs a mixture of chemicals which would be difficult to source locally.
Hope I won't be asking for too much if you could get him to give you more info on how he mixed it, what ratio of water to fertilizer is suitable etc.
Perhaps there are other additives he didn't mention? Could you inquire, and share your findings with us, please?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 7:24pm On Aug 19, 2015
whirlwind7:

Interesting!
Been thinking one needs a mixture of chemicals which would be difficult to source locally.
Hope I won't be asking for too much if you could get him to give you more info on how he mixed it, what ratio of water to fertilizer is suitable etc.
Perhaps there are other additives he didn't mention? Could you inquire, and share your findings with us, please?

Ok, l will call him up over the weekend for detailed explanation on the mixture.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by whirlwind7(m): 8:27pm On Aug 19, 2015
Pavore9:

Ok, l will call him up over the weekend for detailed explanation on the mixture.

Bless you, bro!
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 8:44pm On Aug 19, 2015
whirlwind7:

Bless you, bro!

Bless you too.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by bolayei: 10:05pm On Aug 19, 2015
Now that you mention NPK, i see how it can work for lettuce....At the moment i am building an indoor dutch bucket system to grow some ugu,water leaf and ewedu over here...
Fish farmers take note aquaponics is a way of sustainability for your aquaculture business because you can recycle the pond water by growing greens and sell the greens/vegetables and use the proceeds to feed your fishes, the system will save you alot and reduce casualties since you will automatically have good water management and aeration. I am sure pavore will shed on this
Pavore9:
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 10:53pm On Aug 19, 2015
bolayei:
Now that you mention NPK, i see how it can work for lettuce....At the moment i am building an indoor dutch bucket system to grow some ugu,water leaf and ewedu over here...
Fish farmers take note aquaponics is a way of sustainability for your aquaculture business because you can recycle the pond water by growing greens and sell the greens/vegetables and use the proceeds to feed your fishes, the system will save you alot and reduce casualties since you will automatically have good water management and aeration. I am sure pavore will shed on this

I have visited a 24ft by 90ft greenhouse managed by some Reverend Sisters which house their Aquaponics farm, it has thousands of catfish and tilapia in the ponds within the greenhouse (it is located in a cold region in Kenya), the waste water from the fish pond feeds the strawberries grown in the towers made from PVC pipes, a spot were a strawberry plant would grow in the open field takes 20 strawberry plants inside the greenhouse because of the vertical system. They generate a tonne of Strawberry every month within that space and 100% ORGANIC!

2 Likes

Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by whirlwind7(m): 9:05pm On Aug 21, 2015
@ Pavore9: Still waiting for your feedback on the NPK mix ratio. You are doing a great job!
Just saw your new thread "Wow Pictures of Agriculture". Those pictures are simply delicious.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by olukemiyemi: 4:59am On Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for the video Pavore9. Been wanting to try this but most of the set up online works with a pump and timer circulating water 24/7. Looking forward to reading more details when you have feedback from him. Another challenge here is finding a good grow medium; rookwool, perlite, cocopeat etc.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 5:01am On Aug 22, 2015
olukemiyemi:
Thanks for the video Pavore9. Been wanting to try this but most of the set up online works with a pump and timer circulating water 24/7. Looking forward to reading more details when you have feedback from him. Another challenge here is finding a good grow medium; rookwool, perlite, cocopeat etc.

Is cocopeat not readily available?
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by phoenixchap: 9:05am On Aug 22, 2015
Pavore9:

Is cocopeat not readily available?
I have also been asking around and no one can give something concrete.... Don't think this is readily available
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by Pavore9: 9:23am On Aug 22, 2015
phoenixchap:
I have also been asking around and no one can give something concrete.... Don't think this is readily available

Get in touch with Jasper7 (the guy into cucumber farming) as l recall him saying that one can get cocopeats in Abeokuta.
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by phoenixchap: 9:58am On Aug 22, 2015
Pavore9:

Get in touch with Jasper7 (the guy into cucumber farming) as l recall him saying that one can get cocopeats in Abeokuta.

I will do just that, big thanks bro u dey marvel me at every quarter..
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by investnow2013: 1:06pm On Aug 22, 2015
Re: Small Space Urban Farmers. by nikaShow(m): 1:15pm On Aug 22, 2015
Am soo going to do this. Just give me some more time make I 'arrange' wella.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Agriculture: Isi-Uzo Can Feed Enugubl State, Create Jobs - Sani Friday Nnaji / POULTRY FARMERS IN ABUJA NEEDED TO WORK WITH / EU Ban On Nigerian Beans: FG Inaugurates Standing Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.