Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545488 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femo2000(m): 1:50pm On Jul 08, 2009
Hellooo People!!!!

I am happy to inform you all that I was just given my F-1 STUDENT VISA TODAY cheesy cheesy smiley smiley.

I am in celebration mode now

will gist you later on how it went

catch ya

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2man: 2:30pm On Jul 08, 2009
@femo2000 i'm so happy for your, many more success to come your way.remember us in pray ooo(i mean the rest of us that are still going for the interview),
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by arshy(m): 4:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
femo2000:

Hellooo People!!!!

I am happy to inform you all that I was just given my F-1 STUDENT VISA TODAY cheesy cheesy smiley smiley.

I am in celebration mode now

will gist you later on how it went

catch ya

Congrats menh! I am very happy for u o.
I pray to catch up with you over there very soon!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 7:37am On Jul 10, 2009
@Femo2000
I knew you'll get it!!!. With all the info we have shared here,everyone on this thread should have theirs too.All is needed is the right preparation. U r surely a conqueror.I'm happy 4 U jo! i know u do great in ur studies. let me tell others going 4 theirs to speak out very well and let them know u have the right intentions of travelling.
Cheers!

PPG ey
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 10, 2009
@ femoo2000 congrats dude,maybe we will all have a nairaland get together in yankee soon wink wink wink wink grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

cheers bro
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kadman(m): 9:54am On Jul 10, 2009
Hi you guys, I've been reading this thread since femiangy started it,and I'm very impressed with how organised you guys where. It made me almost regret going in for UK Masters than US, as I've always been scared of US visa (and their 2 years for Masters), but I'm proud of what you guys have achieved. See how UK is just stressing us and making it difficult for student visa now. You people were the sharp ones !
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 9:58am On Jul 10, 2009
@ kadman,i feel ur pain,i was almost falling for the Uk masters thing,till i visited the Uk in january and saw things myself,immediately i made up my my mind its either US,canada or Lagos business school.

Anyway its all good,we willa ll come back home to make naija a better place
cheers bro
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kadman(m): 10:16am On Jul 10, 2009
@ Femo,It's funny I went in Jan too,but still decided to going in for it because of the US visa scare. What course are you going in for ?

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by asil: 10:47am On Jul 10, 2009
@femo2000, just to say congratulations to u and wish u the best in life. Kindly share the gist of how the interview went, thanks.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 10, 2009
@ kadman

Going for M.sc Information systems management.got admitted already but i am looking at spring 'cos my admission came rather very late(guess it was an impromptu tin),so amma ve to defer so i can take my time,and it wont be a bad idea collecting salary for another 3months b4 relocating to the US grin grin grin wink wink cool cool cool

anyway u still in the Uk?i will be back in the Uk for the Nothinghill carnival,maybe we fit hook up.
Cheers bro
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kadman(m): 2:16pm On Jul 10, 2009
@ Femi,no I'm in Lagos. I went in Dec / Jan to look at the schools. I had admission for Aston,Bradford,East Anglia. I'm going to University of Bradford for Msc International Business & Management. I'll be going there middle of Sept.
Nottinghill Carnvial is the shizz ! I've always wanted to go,but maybe next year.
Is your Msc for a year or 2 ?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ztyle(m): 2:27pm On Jul 10, 2009
Wats going on here?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 10, 2009
@ kadman
yes o my masters is for 2years. . . . . . . . . .University of Bradford,thats a very good skol oh!i went to leeds and south bank to make enquiries den.

But in all sincereness Uk na sweet place to catch trips oh.
cheers mate.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femo2000(m): 10:32am On Jul 11, 2009
Hi guys,

I know you all are waiting for the details of my interview, I can not share it now, but I promise to do same later in the day today.

I have been very busy towards preparation for my exit to the U.S cos my school resumes on monday 13th and I have not even secure a seat on delta airlines. So Please permit me for now.

But the real thing is just the favour of God and then dont stammer in your response to questions of the consular officer.

more to come later.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 11, 2009
@ femo200 just take ur time,when u get to the US u can post ur experience,we are very PATIENT! cool

All the best oh!

Have u tried Virgin Atlantic?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ponytail: 9:40am On Jul 13, 2009
Can anyone confirm if all F1 visas are given for two years? Someone I know is going for an LLM and was given teh visa at abuja only to the exact date she is expected to graduate
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 13, 2009
ponytail:

Can anyone confirm if all F1 visas are given for two years? Someone I know is going for an LLM and was given teh visa at abuja only to the exact date she is expected to graduate

It is discretionary and depends on your program. Most People get 2yrs because they are in an undergrad program that lasts for 4yrs.
Same thing for grad students as well since most grad programs last an average of 2yrs.
They will give you a visa with enough duration to cover at least the first half of your studies. There is no preset duration although they seem to discriminate in a way sha. I know an Indian that applied in Lagos and was given 5yrs for an F1 visa. The indian confirmed to me that if he had done it in Delhi, they would have given him 2yrs.

One thing to note, the visa is useless. What matters is your status in the U.S. Your I-94. A ten year visa is worthless is you are inadmissable to the U.S.
Once you get thru the P.O.E, your visa becomes a mere piece of paper. Your life in the U.S is then tied to your I-94
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ponytail: 12:13pm On Jul 13, 2009
A-town thanks for that extremely concise answer. It confirms a previous understanding I had about the visa being primarily for the purposes of entry. I guess that it only makes sense (apart from the P.O.V of revenue generation for the DHS) that a student only be allowed entry into the U.S on an F-1 visa while she or she is still a student.

But wouldn't it be useful if you got a two year visa for a one year programme? I guess what I am trying to ask is - 'When exactly (in practical terms) would your I-94 be employed?'
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jul 13, 2009
ponytail:

A-town thanks for that extremely concise answer. It confirms a previous understanding I had about the visa being primarily for the purposes of entry. I guess that it only makes sense (apart from the P.O.V of revenue generation for the DHS) that a student only be allowed entry into the U.S on an F-1 visa while she or she is still a student.

But wouldn't it be useful if you got a two year visa for a one year programme? I guess what I am trying to ask is - 'When exactly (in practical terms) would your I-94 be employed?'

Your I-94 is issued as soon as you are about a couple of minutes from landing in the U.S. They issue it to all non immigrants aboard the plane. You fill out all your details blah blah.
The guy/girl at the port of entry then determines your eligibility to enter the united states. After that, they stamp your I-94 with your status/period of stay. For students they usually stamp D/S which means duration of studies. As long as you remain in status and are in school, it means you are okay. You do not need a visa as long as you are in the US. Even if you have an expired visa, you are in lawful status provided you stay in school and maintain all regulations. The only time you would need the visa is if you leave the US and need to come back in. The VISA is just a "key to your landlord's gate, it doesn't guarantee tenancy"
If you are going for a program that stipulates that you MUST finish the program under one year then they may not give you a 2yr visa because they don't expect you to go back to the US after one year on that visa.
On the other hand, must programs are not finished as stipulated so there is always a need for a cushion, hence they may just give you a 2yr visa.

Once you depart the US, the airlines will collect your I-94 from you.
Consider the I-94 as a Student's "residence card".
The validity starts once you touch down on american soil and ends when you leave.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by toyosiwemi(f): 9:39am On Jul 14, 2009
@femo2000

congratsss o.waiting for full info.all the best.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 15, 2009
Greetings to ya all,
I have been reading this thread and I cant lay about it. You guys are the best. From gonga aso to fem2000 to prince to all the great contributors not forgeting the thread maker.Thanks to you all and Nairaland for the point of meeting.
I am not prepared than ever to go in for my interview come 17th august.Also I need to know flightfare from lagos to california.
My expedient interview is in lagos by 7.00hrs pls how easy and fast can I make it from uncles house Oshipitan Bariga to the us embassy.Thank you and do remember Echemichael in prayers.Cheer up!

"Life is too short 4 one to go about it in worries"
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by teachme(m): 10:07pm On Jul 15, 2009
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Dotman01(m): 11:17am On Jul 16, 2009
You're doin a great job ere, pls i'll like to know if US colleges do any verification of transcipts. Tanx
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by smile4kenn(m): 1:28pm On Jul 16, 2009
@toyosi,

Did you finally get a reply and a date from American Embassy?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Akinbaba(m): 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2009
Dotman01:

You're doin a great job ere, pls i'll like to know if US colleges do any verification of transcipts. Tanx

@ Dotman01 are u planning on submitting fake transcript?why boder urself if they confirm or not?anyway they have an independent body in the US that dose transcript evaluation and verification and i can confirm to you that YES they do confrim.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 16, 2009
@ dotman,

To butress what akinbaba just said,they have independent bodies in the US like WES(world evaluation service) and GCE(Global credential evalutors) Inc, that do transcript evaluation and verification so i can categorically say YES they do confirm.

Hope this helps
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Dotman01(m): 10:49pm On Jul 16, 2009
NO aint plannin to submit a fake doc, tanx man
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by highpappy: 3:43am On Jul 17, 2009
hello people, i want to ask if is possible to change an A-3 visa status ( visa given to domestic employee of a consul or a diplomat ) to F-1 status without having to travel to Nigeria. If possible pls what are the procedure in getting it done. pls i need the info asap!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by tboy81(m): 12:41pm On Jul 17, 2009
Hi Guys:

Congrats to all those that have gotten their F-1 visas cheesy and success wishes to the rest of us smiley

I av my interview on August 3rd.

A quick question; since i got my appointment date via email and didnt apply online via the VFS website, do i still need to pay the VFS fee or should i just pay the visa interview fee alone?

Thanks, . . .
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by smile4kenn(m): 2:36pm On Jul 17, 2009
@tboy

I also have my interview on august 3rd
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by rachiwise(f): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2009
tboy81

Though you wil not be asked for your VFS at the embassy(at Abuja),but i advice you to pay anyways-it's only N3,500.

All the best with ur interview.

Cheers!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by waffigbo(m): 9:34pm On Jul 17, 2009
HEY PLEASE DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYONE AT THE NIGERIAN CONSULATE IN NEW YORK?

WENT THERE ON THE 1ST OF JULY TO GET MY BIOMETRICS AND THEY SAY THE E-PASSPORT WOULD BE READY ON THE 10TH. NOW IS THE 17TH.

I DON CALL TIRE DEM NO DEY GREE CARRY PHONE. ABEG IF UNA KNOW PERSON CELLPHONE NUMBER OR FAMILY FRIEND WEY DEY WORK FOR THERE ABEG HALA ME PLEASE PLEASE COS I NEED THE PASSPORT DESPEREATELY

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.