Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,141 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:38 AM

Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo (6099 Views)

Ibrahim Babangida As Mamman Vatsa's Bestman (Photo) / Ibrahim Babangida As Head Of State Riding With Queen Elizabeth In Her Carriage / Abdulsalami Abubakar And Ibrahim Babangida In Their Youthful Days (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by hollerb(m): 1:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
Dear Great Nigerians,
In this country. We have political leaders who have really made lot of impact to drive the country forward. Amomgst them are former Presidents Ibrahim Babangida and Chief Olusegun Aremu Obasanjo.
I'll like us to be sincere. Which administration was the best? Or better still, which administration was the worst? Babangida's or Obasanjo's. Pls, give reasons for your answers.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by blinx4real(m): 1:38pm On Feb 27, 2009
OBJ 100x better than IBB
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Nobody: 1:51pm On Feb 27, 2009
I was somehow young and not conscious of national events in the first half of IBB regime, but I learnt he started well. I became conscious of national happenings in early 90s, second half of his reign, and that was arguably the worst period in Nigeria's political history.
I was grown up enough to assess the whole of OBJ regime.

I think I'll go with OBJ.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by blinx4real(m): 2:01pm On Feb 27, 2009
IBB had a culture of bringing in the best brains and rubishing their attempts to resolve country issues, the likes of Wole Soyinka, Tai SOlarin, Falae, Tam David west, Babs Fafunwa and co did their best in their respective fields but the high profile corruption backed by the highest authorities spoilt their achievements.
OBJ in like manner was also deft at identifying and using the best brains available to achieve his purpose, his major fault is his greed and unforgiving nature. The two separate times that Obj ruled the country marks among one of the best times nigeira has had internationally and localy.
Nothing to speak of the current GO-Slow baba now on seat.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by JustGood(m): 2:07pm On Feb 27, 2009
Every Nigerian should curse the day that Badamosi Babngida was born
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by tamme: 2:10pm On Feb 27, 2009
obj
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 2:16pm On Feb 27, 2009
IBB is a lesser devil than OBJ, however, they are both devils.
They both run the Nation into the hole and will take generations to take Nigeria out of the hole.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by tboy1(m): 2:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
The Gap between rich and poor was ok during IBBs regime.
That same gap has tripled in the past decade - based on that, I'll go with IBB
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Feb 27, 2009
tboy1:

Did i hear you say trippled? the gap cant even be measured anymore, so much more waste during OBJ's regime, more money was made during IBB.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 2:29pm On Feb 27, 2009
The Obasanjo Administration and the Nigerian Economy

The morning of May 1999 witnessed a turning point in the political history of Nigeria as civilian political leaders were sworn in. The birth of the Fourth Republic became a reality after a prolonged military rule. The newly born fourth republic became highly instructive considering the scope and array of economic and political problems bequeathed to the country by the prolonged years of military rule and which the newly elected civilians have to cope with.

It is interesting to note that the performance of the Nigerian economy in 1999 was mixed. Inflationary pressures eased especially during the second half of the year. At this period, inflationary pressures had decreased to 6.1 per cent. This was a great decrease as it had risen up to 70 percent in 1995 and 1996 (Masha, 2000: 36). This coincided with a period of expansionary fiscal deficit and money supply growth. Also, the Naira exchange rate was stable the as dollar exchanged for N92.00 to a dollar as at the last quarter of 1999. However, the later part of year 2000 witnessed a drastic
increase in the exchange rate. At this period up to the second half of year 2000, a dollar wasexchangedforNI35.00. This shows a decrease of about 50 percent in the value of the Naira.

Although, on assumption of office in May, 1999, the Obasanjo administration immediately took decisive steps to put in place an enabling environment for the thriving of democracy, regaining international respectability. and credibility and
putting the economy on the path to sustainable growth and development. However, the se measures have not had significant impact on the economy, rather life bas continued to be miserable for an average Nigerian. The analysis of the Nigerian economy shall be done further by examining certain significant sectors and aspects of the economy in order to show the extent of deterioration in the economy.

The increase in agriculture production in the preceding five years (i.e. from 1995) was sustained in 1999. During this period, the aggregate index of agricultural production rose by 3.3 percent, compared with 3.1 percent recorded in 1998 while the performance has been highly unimpressive in the later part of year 2000. Consequently, this shoot up prices of agricultural commodities. Also, while the prices of agricultural commodities went up at home, the prices of Nigeria' s major agricultural commodities in the world market declined substantially in 1999 relative to their levels in 1998. According to Central Bank of Nigeria' s report, the dollar prices of all the commodities recorded declined during 1999. The decrease in prices ranged from 16.9 percent for soya beans to 30.8 per cent for cocoa. (CBN Annual Report, 1999). This was attributed to increased supply and reduction in demand.

The manufacturing sector is another important sector in this analysis. Although the manufacturing sub sector recorded a moderate recovery in 1999 and 2000 from what it experienced in 1996. However, the sector still finds it difficult to change the taste and orientation of the people for imported goods. According to a nation-wide survey conducted by the CBN which covered 560 manufacturing establishments, the weighted average capacity utilization rate of the sub-sector rose from 30.3 per cent in 1998 to 34.3 per cent in 1999. The total cost of operations also increased by 14.2 percent over the level in 1999 owing mainly to high costs of raw materials, machinery and spare parts. The value of imported raw materials rose significantly by 34.7 percent and accounted for about 47.5 per cent of the total value of raw materials used, while the value of locally sourced raw materials, accounting for 53.5 per cent of total, increased by 5.8 per cent (CBN Annual Report, 1999).

Further growth in the manufacturing sub-sector was impaired largely by low demand for locally manufactured goods occasioned by the influx of cheaper products into the country . Other constraints include the poor state of social and economic infrastructures, including erratic power and water supply, as well as poor performing transport and communication systems.

Social Services

The performance of social services in the economy was highly unsatisfactory in 1999 and 2000. Service delivery by key institutions designed to mitigate the living conditions of vulnerable groups was hampered by deterioration of basic facilities, poor funding, the unprecedented high incidence of industrial strikes especially in the education and health sub-sectors as well as civil strife and disturbances. The health system deteriorated to the extent that hospitals were described as "mere consulting clinics". The situation was compounded by the mass exodus of experienced Nigerian health experts to other countries in search of better conditions of service and greener pastures. The hospitals were poorly equipped. Infrastructure remained poor, inadequate and fast deteriorating. As a result, there was high infant, under-five and maternal mortality, and the prevalence of many diseases, several of which were of epidemic proportions.

However, by 1999 the population per physician had improved slightly from 4,977 to 4,479 in 1998 while population per hospital bed improved from 1,738 in 1998 to 1,564. It is important to stress that the impact of the Petroleum (special) Trust Fund (PTF) in the supply of drugs is important in this regard. Also, the administration of Obasanjo accorded high priority to the health sector, which accounted for the rehabilitation works in health institutions. There was an increment in the budget of the health sub-sector by 21.7 per cent from #10,756.3 million in 1998 to # 13,737.3 million in 1999. This represented 4.6 per cent of total Federal Government budget (Ibid.). However, this still fell short of the 5.0 per cent minimum standard recommended by the World Health Organization.

The education sub-sector on the other hand, experienced deep crises for many years. The schools, at all levels lacked teachers and basic infrastructure. They suffered from over-crowding, poor sanitation, poor conditions of service for teachers resulting in poor quality of teaching and poor quality of products. This sub-sector has equally been burdened by frequent industrial disputes and strikes actions. It suffered from poor management, manifested in poor intra-sectional allocation, multiplicity of agencies with duplicated functions and inadequate coordination. Prior to 1999,
teachers at both the primary and secondary school levels were owed up to six months salaries while those who have retired were not getting their pensions as at when due. However, by 1999 adult literacy had increased to 57 per cent from 53 percent in 1998 (Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2000). Also, the Universal Basic education scheme was launched in September 1999 with enlightenment campaigns to elicit support, by the Obasanjo's administration. At the tertiary institution level, visitation panels were inaugurated, reports of which led to some crucial decisions of Government. Also, cultism, which had eaten deep into the structure of the Universities, was drastically dealt with as judicial panel of inquiry on secret cults in tertiary institutions was instituted. The vice-chancellors of different Universities were compelled to tackle the menace of secret cults.

That's Obasanjo Administration
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by tboy1(m): 2:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Did i hear you say trippled? the gap cant even be measured anymore, so much more waste during OBJ's regime, more money was made during IBB.
LOL . . . agreed and the money was in circulation during IBBs regime
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 2:36pm On Feb 27, 2009
It was hard for me to sit and read all that,m however, lemme remind you of few things.

OBJ years back, started Operation feed the nation, can you  imagine if that scheem was used right, how much money nigeria cld have been pulling into the nation via agriculture? besides, pls, tell me whatever happened to it? would it be fair if we say, it becomes OBJ's Farm?

In 1996, $ was exchanged at what rate, in the 86, $ was exchanged at what rate, so tell me what has OBJ being in power in 99 to 07 done to the economy of Nigeria.

OBJ came to power worth how much and how much is he worth today, he has basically sold Nigeria to his family and their friends.

in the height of his administration, Oil was 140 per barrel, so tell me what happened to all the money that Nigeria made.

OBJ was the leader when the lands of the ogonis was all messed up with nothing to show for it.

Was OBJ fairly elected into office? So tell me what exactly is there to rejoice about when it comes to OBJ.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 2:38pm On Feb 27, 2009
tboy1:

LOL . . . agreed and the money was in circulation during IBBs regime

OBJ was leaving the office, he hand pick someone in the era of democracy? and we call that leadership? spear me guys
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Sauron1: 2:50pm On Feb 27, 2009
IBB by a country mile.
He is the most brilliant leader Nigeria has ever had.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by KunleOshob(m): 3:10pm On Feb 27, 2009
I can't even begin to imagine how anyone would compare OBJ with that rogue called IBB the records are clear Nigeria made tremendous progress under OBJ whilst it was IBB that took us back several years.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Sauron1: 3:17pm On Feb 27, 2009
tboy1:

Brilliant. . . . . .
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 3:20pm On Feb 27, 2009
This
Phemzy:

Although, on assumption of office in May, 1999, the Obasanjo administration immediately took decisive steps to put in place an enabling environment for the thriving of democracy, regaining international respectability. and credibility and
putting the economy on the path to sustainable growth and development. However, these measures have not had significant impact on the economy, rather life has continued to be miserable for an average Nigerian.

Also, the Naira exchange rate was stable the as dollar exchanged for N92.00 to a dollar as at the last quarter of 1999. However, the later part of year 2000 witnessed a drastic increase in the exchange rate. At this period up to the second half of year 2000, a dollar wasexchangedforNI35.00. This shows a decrease of about 50 percent in the value of the Naira.

He gave Nigeria an international respect which thereby increase corruption. He was able to plot some money into his pocket.

This
Phemzy:

The increase in agriculture production in the preceding five years (i.e. from 1995) was sustained in 1999. During this period, the aggregate index of agricultural production rose by 3.3 percent, compared with 3.1 percent recorded in 1998 while the performance has been highly unimpressive in the later part of year 2000. Consequently, this shoot up prices of agricultural commodities. Also, while the prices of agricultural commodities went up at home, the prices of Nigeria' s major agricultural commodities in the world market declined substantially in 1999 relative to their levels in 1998. According to Central Bank of Nigeria' s report, the dollar prices of all the commodities recorded declined during 1999. The decrease in prices ranged from 16.9 percent for soya beans to 30.8 per cent for cocoa. (CBN Annual Report, 1999). This was attributed to increased supply and reduction in demand.

The education sub-sector on the other hand, experienced deep crises for many years. The schools, at all levels lacked teachers and basic infrastructure. They suffered from over-crowding, poor sanitation, poor conditions of service for teachers resulting in poor quality of teaching and poor quality of products. This sub-sector has equally been burdened by frequent industrial disputes and strikes actions. It suffered from poor management, manifested in poor intra-sectional allocation, multiplicity of agencies with duplicated functions and inadequate coordination. Prior to 1999,
teachers at both the primary and secondary school levels were owed up to six months salaries while those who have retired were not getting their pensions as at when due. However, by 1999 adult literacy had increased to 57 per cent from 53 percent in 1998 (Federal Republic of Nigeria, 2000). Also, the Universal Basic education scheme was launched in September 1999 with enlightenment campaigns to elicit support, by the Obasanjo's administration. At the tertiary institution level, visitation panels were inaugurated, reports of which led to some crucial decisions of Government. Also, cultism, which had eaten deep into the structure of the Universities, was drastically dealt with as judicial panel of inquiry on secret cults in tertiary institutions was instituted. The vice-chancellors of different Universities were compelled to tackle the menace of secret cults.

There was a good development in agricultural sector and education sector compared to that of IBB

The only good thing about IBB administration is that, there is little gap between the rich and the poor.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by mustafar1: 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2009
this is like comparing oranges to tangerine.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by DRANOEL(m): 4:30pm On Feb 27, 2009
ibb by far better than obj-no comparison here
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 27, 2009
Can the thread starter put it into poll?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2009
DRANOEL:

ibb by far better than obj-no comparison here

With what fact?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by StFunmi(f): 4:50pm On Feb 27, 2009
OBJ anyday: Give me some sugar!
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 4:54pm On Feb 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

I can't even begin to imagine how anyone would compare OBJ with that rogue called IBB the records are clear Nigeria made tremendous progress under OBJ whilst it was IBB that took us back several years.

Pls tell me some of the progress that Nigeria made under OBJ.
Is it the electricity
Water
GSM, cos that is all i hear, and this was started by IBB
Employment
Please, tell me, i will like to know
Or pple that he will arrest with EFCC and nothing ever came out of it?
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 4:55pm On Feb 27, 2009
St.Funmi:

OBJ anyday: Give me some sugar!

Give me some of the achievement of OBJ
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Phemzy(m): 5:00pm On Feb 27, 2009
OBJ is better than IBB and he is still be the best President we will ever have till today.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 5:08pm On Feb 27, 2009
Phemzy:

OBJ is better than IBB and he is still be the best President we will ever have till today.

You people aint giving reasons now, haba.
If you are from ogun state, please, leave that out of this.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by KunleOshob(m): 5:16pm On Feb 27, 2009
GDP per capita went from less than $300 dollars to over $1,800 in OBJs regime
Banking consolidation
Stock market grew by 6,000% during OBJ's tenure
Fight against corruption
Foreign debts settled
Foreign reserves surplus
Nafdac success
Nigeria's BB- rating
nigeria became an investment destination during OBJ time
Consumer loans became availbale
High economic growth rate
Opened up our economy

The list is endless
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 27, 2009
Oya, let pro-IBBites bring their own points and let's compare notes. Fact-based criticism of Kunleoshobs' points are also welcome.
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 5:25pm On Feb 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

GDP per capita went from less than $300 dollars to over $1,800 in OBJs regime = what was the cost of living under his regime for even the poor people?
Banking consolidation = how has the consolidation affected the life of ordinary Nigerians
Stock market grew by 6,000% during OBJ's tenure = and what happened to inflation and transparency
Fight against corruption= tell me how many people was actually brought to book
Foreign debts settled = how much did he settled, and bring me facts and not just talk about it
Foreign reserves surplus = surplus wasnt cos of OBJ, was cos of price of the world, and how much did he take from the reserve for his own pocket?
Nafdac success= show me the success
Nigeria's BB- rating = rating wasnt OBJ's doing but of Iwenla or what was that woman's name again
nigeria became an investment destination during OBJ time = was better of investment in IBB's time
Consumer loans became availbale = at rate of 27% Interest rate
High economic growth rate = show me the growth and i will show you a lair
Opened up our economy

The list is endless

Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by tboy1(m): 5:32pm On Feb 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

GDP per capita went from less than $300 dollars to over $1,800 in OBJs regime
Banking consolidation
Stock market grew by 6,000% during OBJ's tenure
Fight against corruption
Foreign debts settled
Foreign reserves surplus
Nafdac success
Nigeria's BB- rating
nigeria became an investment destination during OBJ time
Consumer loans became availbale
High economic growth rate
Opened up our economy

The list is endless

NAFDAC was established after IBBs regime and pls can you remove Fight against corruption from the list
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by StFunmi(f): 5:34pm On Feb 27, 2009
Give me some of the achievement of OBJ
Sanitized our bank
Paid our foreign debt
created the middle class that were long gone
stimulated the economy
Controlled the Niger Delta
GSM
Broadband internet came to Nigeria courtesy of him
Rebuilt Abuja to a standard metro city
Abuja stadium
Brought Abachas/Mustapha/Bamaiyi etc to justice
and many more,
Re: Ibrahim Babangida Vs Olusegun Obasanjo by Fhemmmy: 6:00pm On Feb 27, 2009
Sanitized banks and recently, many billions are being investigated that are stolen from the banking industry?

Paid what foreign debt, tell me how much we owe and how much was paid during his regime, and tell me whose administration borrow the money, how much did we borrow while we have General OBJ as the head of state?

Created what middle class, when the salary under his administration wasnt even enuf for pple to go to work, where is the middle class, more money was made in the time of IBB more than any other regime in Nigeiria.

Stimulated the economy with what?

GSM was IBB's idea, he started it and OBJ just finished it.

Rebuilt Abuja, and how come he couldnt rebuild Lagos, if he was that good, anyone cld take a land and start building cos they will be able to steal more money, why cldnt he do what fashola is now doing, and yet they have to all the money.

Brought what abacha to book? he fit?
Now tell me what happened to all the money that was borrowed during his regime, what happened to light for everyone, tell me what happened to health care for all, and eradicating hunger? what was he able to achieve, i will tell you, NOTHING.
He is an embarrassment for a leader

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Attempt To Burn PDP Office In Kano Aborted / The Bishop's Prophecy Is Coming To Past / Rivers PDP Candidate Winke Use Stak Naked Girls For Campain (PICS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.