Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,883 members, 7,798,950 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader (24023 Views)

Osinbajo, Masari, Ahmed Lawan Visit Bola Tinubu In Lagos (Pics) / Buhari Dissolves AMCON, Appoints Ahmed Lawan Kuru as MD / Saraki, Oyegun And Ahmed Lawan Meet (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Nobody: 6:57am On Jun 25, 2015
Principal officers may emerge today

By Henry Umoru & Joseph Erunke

ABUJA—EFFORTS to resolve the crisis over the choice of principal officers of All Progressives Congress, APC, ran into a stalemate yesterday night, even as Senator Ali Ndume defeated Senator Ahmad Lawan in a mock poll.

At the end of marathon meetings, party members from the North-East caucus of the party insisted on pushing forward their choice of Senator Ndume over the party’s preferred Senator Lawan as Senate Leader, which was zoned to the North-East.
The insistence of APC North-East senators was despite efforts, including an intervention by the immediate past President of the Senate, David Mark, to break the logjam in the ruling party, which had seen senators aligned to Senate President Bukola Saraki reject the party’s list of candidates for the four principal offices on offer to the party.
Vanguard gathered that a list of the names of four senators chosen by the party, which had been with the Senate President, would have been announced alongside that of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, senators today, but for the last minute rejection of Lawan by APC North-East caucus.

Principal Offices

APC, being the party with majority senators in the Red Chamber, is expected to produce Majority Leader, Deputy Majority Leader, Chief Whip and Deputy Chief Whip while the opposition PDP on the other hand, would produce Minority Leader, Deputy Minority Leader, Minority Whip and Deputy Minority Whip.

At a mock poll conducted by senators of the North-East APC fold, Senator Ndume, representing Borno South, led Lawan, APC, Yobe North, with nine votes to two.

Mock poll fall-out

Ahmad Lawan

However, the poll was quickly dismissed by Lawan who said he was not part of it as he had no knowledge of the purported exercise.
The strong insistence by Senators Lawan and George Akume, who were not at the mock poll, not to recognise the outcome of the exercise and subsequent protest by his supporters against it, as well as reported personal phone call to Saraki by Senator Mark to handle the situation with caution, forced Senator Saraki, to immediately convene another meeting of APC senators.

Also at the mock election earlier, Senator representing Osun Central Senatorial District, Professor Olusola Adeyeye, was unanimously endorsed by the South-West caucus of APC in the Red Chamber as the Chief Whip of the eighth Senate.

The need to have a senator from the South-South geopolitical zone among the principal officers had also led to the emergence of the Senator representing Edo North, Francis Alimikhena, as the Deputy Whip, during the mock poll.

His emergence was against the view of APC national leadership, which had initially nominated the senator representing Katsina South, Abu Ibrahim, as Deputy whip.

Vanguard gathered that it was resolved at an enlarged meeting with the governors, Monday night, that the only senator from the South-South should have the position.

Abu Ibrahim’s emergence as Deputy Whip would have automatically disenfranchised the South-South geo-political zone from having a representative in the senate leadership.

Adeyeye’s name was on the list of principal officers approved by APC leadership as contained in a letter addressed to the Senate President and signed by the National Chairman of the party, Chief John Odigie-Oyegun, Tuesday.

North-East caucus

Vanguard gathered that 11 out of the 13 senators from the North-East, during their caucus meeting, voted in favour of Senator Ali Ndume as the Senate Leader.

The party had zoned the position to the North-East, but named Senator Lawan who lost out in the race for Senate President as its preferred candidate.
Also, the party’s choice for the post of Deputy Senate Leader, Senator George Akume, was said to have been rejected by the North-Central caucus of the party, who claimed that since one of them had emerged as the Senate President, it would be fair and just to allow another zone take up the position.
Consequently, the North-West caucus also met, yesterday, and endorsed the candidature of Senator Ahmed Sani-Yerima, APC, Zamfara West, as the Deputy Leader.

‘Am not aware of any election’

When contacted, Lawan, dissociated himself from the election conducted by the North-East caucus, stressing that he would align himself with the position of the party.

He said: “I am not aware of any election. The party had spoken, it is now left for the Senate President to make the announcement.”

Earlier, at the floor of the Senate during plenary session, the move by leadership of APC to nominate party men for the remaining four leadership positions of the Senate meant for the party was rebuffed by the Senate President, Bukola Saraki.
APC National Chairman, John Odigie-Oyegun had on Monday, June 22, after series of meetings with the entire 59 APC senators in the senate, forwarded a written letter to the Senate President, in which Senators Ahmad Lawan, Yobe North, was nominated to be given the position of Senate Leader, while George Akume, Benue North-West, was recommended for the post of Deputy Senate Leader.

Others were Senator Olushola Adeyeye, Osun Central, nominated for Chief Whip and Abu Ibrahim, Katsina South, as Deputy Chief Whip.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/senate-leadership-ndume-defeats-lawan-in-mock-poll/
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Mancity26(m): 6:59am On Jun 25, 2015
9ja politics..d more u luk..d less u see
waoh! As i check bak i see say na me God give FTC 2da... I dedicate dis 2 my fellow entertainer in d houx, some1 like Airforce1.. We will join dem soon!
Listening 2 ''melo-melo'' now! #funnyNation

1 Like

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by SeverusSnape(m): 6:59am On Jun 25, 2015
Mock elections my foot!

Anyway, As long as Tinubu's candidate does not emerge, I'm okay with that.

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by orobs93(m): 7:01am On Jun 25, 2015
Which kind source b dat..
See as e b like virus..

1 Like

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by ibrams(m): 7:07am On Jun 25, 2015
lawan says he is nt aware of any elections.....so wats happening?

3 Likes

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by natas22: 7:09am On Jun 25, 2015
The North truly understands politics. Jagaban is fading out with style.
www.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Awotee(m): 7:21am On Jun 25, 2015
This z nigeria politics
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by ascaris(m): 7:22am On Jun 25, 2015
And the greedy fellows continue their CHANGE drama....while the scammed agents of CHANGE on NL keep on believing and hoping there will be true CHANGE.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by bukason212(m): 7:26am On Jun 25, 2015
nija politics i hail thee!
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 25, 2015
this Ahmed lawan of a man carry badluck for head like gala dey waka o.

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by tucky200(m): 8:13am On Jun 25, 2015
undecided
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by liopased: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2015
ascaris:
And the greedy fellows continue their CHANGE drama....while the scammed agents of CHANGE on NL keep on believing and hoping there will be true CHANGE.

This change is better!

1 Like

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by naildoy: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2015
Nashoji:
this Ahmed lawan of a man carry badluck for head like gala dey waka o.

I pity the guy sha

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by modath(f): 8:14am On Jun 25, 2015
Saraki was against the mock poll for his own ambition but is now in support for other positions to be done through a straw poll..

Oh what an irony... cheesy..

Unbridled ambition is a silent killer..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by phransix147(m): 8:15am On Jun 25, 2015
Them don start wif this mock election thing again.... Na person wey loose mock election dey win the real election oh!

1 Like

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by rifasenate11(m): 8:15am On Jun 25, 2015
Oya, here it goes the same APC that claims to change the nation's economy, I sorry for Nigeria for the people we elect in offices are just there for thier own interests rather than that of the country. .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by daikale: 8:15am On Jun 25, 2015
we re watching
old wine in new bottles

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by UnknownT: 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
Another mock primaries wink Saraki the APC ALBATROSS. Keep it coming wink grin

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by MeAndYou(m): 8:16am On Jun 25, 2015
Getting to the top is one thing, but remaining at the top is another thing entirely. APC oya! Over to you!

Meanwhile

ILOVE NAIJA I NO GO LIE!!! God Bless Nigeria!!! Na
only for Nigeria you fit win Aeroplane by loading
N200 MTN Recharge Card.
Very soon Etisalat go say recharge N200 and win a
big ship.
Then Airtel go com follow sey, recharge N100 and
win Benin Republic.
Glo, go just kuku say... Recharge N500 and win
Nigeria because their colour na Green.
Na only for Nigeria you go see fish
inside"MEATPIE"
Na only for Nigeria we dey count money after we
withdraw am from ATM because we no even trust
ATM machines.
Na only for Nigeria PHCN dey sey:-
Win a brand new GENERATOR if you pay your light
bill (wat a pity)
Na only for Naija people dey horn for traffic light
make e quick change from Red to Green.
Na only for Nigeria Pharmacy dey sell Coke,
Recharge Card, Chin chin,
Puff puff and beer.
Wetin you no see for Naija, you no fit see am
anywhere in d world...
Trust me.
Na only 4 naija you go find a graduate of
Mechanical
Engineering dey do him NYSC 4 Police station.
na only 4 naija you go see one person dey use
Bold5, X3, Ipad2 and Nokia N8 all at once.You be
Bill Gates? Abi na you invent internet?
Na only 4 naija you go see a graduate of law dey
work as generator repairer.
Na only for Naija u go buy coke, dem go say make
u no forget to return d bottle.
Na 4 only Naija, you go see
madman dey control traffic,
people wey their head correct dey
obey...
Na 4 only Naija, you go see advert from native
doctor on how to make quick money.
Na only for Naija u go wish somebody 'happy
birthday', he go answer 'same to u'.
Na 4 Naija obituary poster dem go say "MAMA
HAS RELOCATED"
.. im proud of dis my country we dey unique.

JUST SHARE with love

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by PRYCE(m): 8:17am On Jun 25, 2015
President Buhari's party will never learn! Their mock elections won't and will not decide the fate of this country! The last one turned out to be charade and utterly useless!

Party of martial artists!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by uzo200(m): 8:17am On Jun 25, 2015
what can I say? I do not know, meanwhile, look at my friends blog, the guy na real niga with a quack blog, the worse Nigerian blog ever... http://www.touchpapyrus.com
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by fitzmayowa: 8:17am On Jun 25, 2015
phransix147:
Them don start wif this mock election thing again.... Na person wey loose mock election dey win the real election oh!

UnknownT:
Another mock primaries wink Saraki the APC ALBATROSS. Keep it coming wink grin

With the rate APC is "mocking" everything that concerns the national assembly, I hope the 8th assembly won't be a MOCKERY...cheesy grin cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by buoye1(m): 8:19am On Jun 25, 2015
It is evident the lawmakers doesn't want this lawal guy of a person, must tinubu and others impose him? Let them vote for whosoever they desire...... That's the true and real change..... Say NO to imposition of candidates...

SARAKI MY ROLE MODEL

To the Tanoids I'm not part of you please, I'm a core APC supporter.

1 Like

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Mentcee(m): 8:20am On Jun 25, 2015
Thiefnub is a crook. Bokoharu is incompetent and old and illiterate. APC is an evil and bad party.

3 Likes

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by sweetgala(m): 8:20am On Jun 25, 2015
The audacity of Saraki to conduct a mock election which he himself did not subscribe to during the senate presidency saga .

Saraki can't have his cake and also eat it , or his 4 years would be filled with quarrels
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Mentcee(m): 8:21am On Jun 25, 2015
buoye1:
G
G for good morning.
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by sweetgala(m): 8:21am On Jun 25, 2015
PRYCE:
President Buhari's party will never learn! Their mock elections won't and will not decide the fate of this country! The last one turned out to be charade and utterly useless!

Party of martial artists!

Saraki is the one prescribing mock election he did not believe in before
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by hassan85(m): 8:22am On Jun 25, 2015
Apc and issues. So Ndume that has question to answer on BH is to be compensated for loosing Deputy Senate President and Ahmad Lawan who lost Senate Presidency to get nothing? Well its interesting. Lets keep watching. NL is the highest place we can talk. We no fit do anything. SARAKI i hail thy.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Nobody: 8:22am On Jun 25, 2015
Ali Ndume the alleged Boko Haram Sponsor? Ali Ndume that is undergoing trial on terrorism? I don't like that guy one bit.

As for Lawan, I also don't like him but I prefer him.

8 Likes

Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by dunkem21(m): 8:23am On Jun 25, 2015
grin
Re: Senator Ndume Defeats Ahmed Lawan In Mock Election For Senate Leader by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 25, 2015
OK O, THE SAME NDUME WITH BAD RECORDS WITH POLICE AND SSS AS ONE OF THE CHIEF SPONSORS OF BH. NIGERIA IS IN FOR A GREAT THING

hassan85:
Apc and issues. So Ndume that has question to answer on BH is to be compensated for loosing Deputy Senate President and Ahmad Lawan who lost Senate Presidency to get nothing? Well its interesting. Lets keep watching. NL is the highest place we can talk. We no fit do anything. SARAKI i hail thy.
Dont blame him, or APC, blame our system and law that make everything easy for them to go Scot free. They know how to seek protection because they made the law to favor their atrocities. It is only common man on the street and e warriors that have sleepness nights for them. Buhari will have to tactically step on many toes so that he wont repeat joanthan's mistakes because these people are just carcus holding country to a halt.
Just look at sarakis record. He and him papa wrecked Societie general bank and also trade bank, put many family in to unending sorrows. All shares sold in that bank went down the rail. Now they are back with another bank (Heritage bank). In a sane country, he would be in at least, life year's imprisonment . But here we are today, celebration of his emergence as a number 3 man in the country.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Mohammed Dankwambo Dumps PDP For APC / Atiku To Wike, Others: Your Calls For Removal Of Ayu Not Proper, Clever / Sen Nywoye Hands Over A Tech Innovation And Computer Hub Building To Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.