Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,416 members, 7,808,491 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:40 PM

Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? (61379 Views)

FCSC: A Country Where 3rd Class Is Considered Above Msc + Bsc (2.1) / 5 Things You Can Do To Get A Good Job With A 2.2 Or 3rd Class / I Just Got A Job In A University With My 3rd Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 7:34pm On Jun 25, 2015
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 25, 2015
That 3rd class is not yet accepted in the labor market.
2.2s are still battling em way through.
But it was a nice step you took towards getting job opportunities.

Try to go for your masters afterwards.

13 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Adeyemz4(m): 8:27pm On Jun 25, 2015
over yes u can, nigeria of today is not about ur degree or class but your input to their coy. what if u grad 1st class with a dull performance what did u want them to say about it.. sorry am working with mine, and am doing great with my coy and i have done my wedding and am living well with my own built house. i also graduated from a good uni with 3rd class in 2011. but today am happy cos i thought i was a disapointment to my parents for my poor grade. but however mine was caused by school politics it was a delebrate act from my dept in school. thankz and best of luck u can make it bro

139 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jun 25, 2015
Third class? That's a tough one but if you believe in your abilities, you might be lucky..

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by bodeoni: 10:21pm On Jun 25, 2015
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.

Modified
By way of addition, I know some people will recommened that you start self-employment. Believe me, its not always the best option especially if you don't have adequate resources and proper know-how for whatever trade you might choose. Like I said earlier, de-emphasize education on all your applications. What you need to do now is gain some serious intermediate-expert level competency in various skills esp skills like Problem solving, Interpersonl skiils, Communication skills, critical thinking/questioning. You should also develop your research I.e knowing where/ how to obtain information and to properly harness or utilize said info for profit.

Nigeria is rapidly evolving and those who will be on top in the times to come are those who can properly harness the power of information (or knowledge)

Its not going to be easy, a lot of people will look down on you cos of the class of your degree. Some will even offer to pay you peanuts. You must be constantly developing yourself as you will always have to prove what you are really worth.

It will be all good in the end.

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by DoroMega: 11:33pm On Jun 25, 2015
Oboy na only Insurance job e fit get you.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by twentyk(m): 2:03am On Jun 26, 2015
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by mysticgal(f): 2:41am On Jun 26, 2015
For me, erm it's not the grade you pass out with that gives you the job but your performance and confidence. I believe most companies want practical than theoretical knowledge,if you're good with what you do,I don't see any reason why a reasonable coy would leave you.

oh op,you also need gracesmiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 26, 2015
Why not,third class isn't the end of the world.
You can,but it might be difficult.
Stay positive.

7 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by cutieme(m): 8:06am On Jun 26, 2015
@Peeta89,please where are u doing the PGD program and how much is the fee?

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:15am On Jun 26, 2015
cutieme:
please where are u doing the PGD program and how much is the fee?
Good morning. Kindly add me up on Bbm let's talk about that. I don't want to disclose d school here.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:20am On Jun 26, 2015
Adeyemz4:
over yes u can, nigeria of today is not about ur degree or class but your input to their coy. what if u grad 1st class with a dull performance what did u want them to say about it.. sorry am working with mine, and am doing great with my coy and i have done my wedding and am living well with my own built house. i also graduated from a good uni with 3rd class in 2011. but today am happy cos i thought i was a disapointment to my parents for my poor grade. but however mine was caused by school politics it was a delebrate act from my dept in school. thankz and best of luck u can make it bro
Gud day bro. I appreciate ur encouragement. Thanks and God bless you.

7 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:22am On Jun 26, 2015
bodeoni:
Its not the degree that gets one a job, its your ability. The degree is just a way of shortlisting so as to reduce some load. One thing you could do is to de-emphasize your education on your CV and emphasize your achievements. I also think you should look outside microbiology cos its a course that hasn't really found its place in Nigeria hence few job oppurtunties.
Gud day. Thanks for ur encouragement. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:30am On Jun 26, 2015
bodeoni:
Gud day. Thanks for ur encouragement. God bless you
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:32am On Jun 26, 2015
mysticgal:
For me, erm it's not the grade you pass out with that gives you the job but your performance and confidence. I believe most companies want practical than theoretical knowledge,if you're good with what you do,I don't see any reason why a reasonable coy would leave you.

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:33am On Jun 26, 2015
Yomieluv:
Why not,third class isn't the end of the world.

You can,but it might be difficult.

Stay positive.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by peeta89(m): 8:35am On Jun 26, 2015
mysticgal:
For me, erm it's not the grade you pass out with that gives you the job but your performance and confidence. I believe most companies want practical than theoretical knowledge,if you're good with what you do,I don't see any reason why a reasonable coy would leave you.Gud day. Thanks for ur encouragement. God bless you.

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by mayor20(m): 8:36am On Jun 26, 2015
The labour market in Nigeria presently care less about your class of degree. Even if you make the first class grade of this world. It does not guarantee you any work. Connections and contacts is work push you out of the labour market.

4 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Valendo: 8:38am On Jun 26, 2015
Why not think of becoming an employer of labour? Tell me of all the rich people in the world today how many of them get 2.1, first class or even 2.2 majority of them are skul drop outs or better put are not well educated yet they control and rule over 95percent of world's wealth. Take time to think and read. God bless you

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by mysticgal(f): 8:46am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
you're welcomesmiley
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Kufie(m): 9:00am On Jun 26, 2015
yes
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by adioolayi(m): 9:00am On Jun 26, 2015
Yes
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by naijainfogalery: 9:00am On Jun 26, 2015
Yes you can if you are smart , a goal getter and got the skills.

You should use your situation to better you., From experience if you come out with 3rd class and you are also not experienced and you cant package yourself, my brother you will spend the rest of your youthful life looking for a job except you wanna settle for a teaching job, which pays quite low.

My advice would be dont waste your time looking for a job cos you might not get it as fast as you think, but here is what you are going to do.
1. Look for companies that would need your service , google is your friend
2. Send them a message that you want to come and work for them for free for 3 months after which you promise to beat some of their best employee . Employers like competition and this kind of boldness
3. Some will reply while some wont, look for the one with a good name that would help boost your career.
4. Give in your best for the 3 months, work your asss out, remember you are only trying to prove yourself, be one of the first to resume and one of the last to leave, you are just trying to gain peoples attention, let the top dogs in that industry see you, meanwhile im not asking you to do eye service cos it will come back hunting you
5. After 3 months if you deliver you will know and if you didnt you will know, But lets assume you delivered, just walk up to the MD's office and tell him you have accomplished your mission and you are ready to quit
6. Any wise business man would want to retain you, then they will offer you small change
7. Reject and name your price,

From experience your first job is usually the hardest, once you get it, your next job wont ask for 3rd class bullshit all they will care about is your experience from previous job

97% Graduate wont be able to do it, but one person that followed this advice thoroughly is now a manager in one of the big firms in Nigeria. He got to the top of the ladder in less than 5 years.
Note: Hardwork, smartness and dedication pays

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by SirElaw(m): 9:01am On Jun 26, 2015
Ofcourse. Your grade only opens the door, what keeps you in the building is what's really in you i.e what you have to offer you employer. With a 3rd class degree, you have to hope God does the knocking on the door for you, there is nothing impossible with him.

6 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Big4wig(m): 9:01am On Jun 26, 2015
Nothing is impossible

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 26, 2015
The real truth is in our nigeria of today, Gods grace, connections (90%) and your ability(10%) gets you a job, careless of a first class and all the others.......then connections(again) and your input keeps you on the job

5 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Nicepoker(m): 9:04am On Jun 26, 2015
U STUDIED micro BIOLOGY AND BAGGED A 3rd CLASS. IN OTHER WORDS U STUDIED small BIOLOGY AND GRADUATED WITH 3rd CLASS . GUY U NO TRY!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by desmondDessi(m): 9:04am On Jun 26, 2015
With God you will.
Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by Goldenheart(m): 9:04am On Jun 26, 2015
There is no limit to what you can achieve.... The only thing that can limit you is you.

if you think your 3rd class cert can get you your dream job,

or not

either way, you right***

-Henry Ford Chukwuemeka

2 Likes

Re: Can I Get A Job With My 3rd Class Degree??? by opedaydydx9(m): 9:04am On Jun 26, 2015
peeta89:
Good evening. I graduated in 2011 from a University here in Nigeria where I studied Microbiology. I actually had a third class although I am running a PGD programme at the moment and I am almost rounding off. So I want to know if I can get a job with my 3rd class degree combined together with my PGD statement of result? I am in my mid 20's. I need an urgent advice please.............
finish ur masters degree den, ur third class won't be considered

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nnpc Graduate Trainee Pay Package / Lady Looking For A Job For Her Boyfriend On Twitter / See The Nature Of N-Power Assessment Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.