Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal (46228 Views)

Kenya Election 2017: Supreme Court Annuls Kenyatta Re-election / County Clerk Resigns Instead Of Issuing Gay Marriage Licenses (Photo) / US Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama's Hand In Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by gateleo(m): 7:36pm On Jun 26, 2015
The US Supreme Court made same-sex marriage legal throughout the nation Friday in a much-awaited landmark decision that triggered wild jubilation and tears of joy.
In a 5-4 ruling, the highest court in the United States said the Constitution requires all 50 states to carry out and recognize marriage between people of the same sex.

President Barack Obama, in heartfelt remarks, praised the ruling as “a victory for America.” The court decision marked a fresh coup for the White House, coming a day after the Supreme Court upheld an important and disputed section of the president’s signature health care reform.

“Today we can say in no uncertain terms that we’ve made our union a little more perfect,” Obama said at the White House, which changed its Twitter avatar to the rainbow colors of the growing gay rights movement.

“This decision affirms what millions of Americans already believe in their hearts — when all Americans are treated as equal, we are all more free.”
It also made the United States the 21st country or territory in the world that recognizes same-sex marriage as legal.

He took a brief phone call from Obama, who told him: “Not only have you been a great example for people but you’re also going to bring about a lasting change in this country.

“And it’s pretty rare where that happens so I couldn’t be prouder of you and your husband. God bless you.”

Obergefell, who was live on television at the time, replied humbly: “Thank you, sir. That means an incredible amount to me.”
Also in the vast crowd outside court as the life-changing news filtered through were Robert Westover, 51, and Tom Fulton, 57, who hugged and kissed.

“It feels like my birthday, the prom, our wedding day. It’s hard to express the intensity of this moment, that our love now is equal,” Westover told AFP.
The case was brought by 14 same-sex couples, and the widowers of two gay couples, including Obergefell, who had challenged de facto bans on same-sex marriage in Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio and Tennessee.

All four states had insisted in their respective constitutions that marriage could only be a union between a man and a woman.
“The Fourteenth Amendment (providing equal protection under the law) requires a state to license a marriage between two people of the same sex and to recognize a marriage between two people of the same sex when their marriage was lawfully licensed and performed out-of-State,” the court ruling said.

Marriage has been a core institution in society since ancient times, “but it has not stood in isolation from developments in law and society,” reasoned Justice Anthony Kennedy, who delivered the ruling.
To exclude them from marriage, Kennedy said, would deny same-sex couples “the constellation of benefits that the states have linked to marriage.”

Voicing dissent was Chief Justice John Roberts, who expressed concern that the court was making a decision better left to elected state legislatures.

“If you are among the many Americans — of whatever sexual orientation — who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today’s decision,” he said.

“Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits.

“But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it.”
The decision came two years to the day after the Supreme Court, in another major ruling, struck down a controversial federal law that denied US government benefits to wedded gays and lesbians.

“This transformative triumph is a momentous victory for freedom, equality, inclusion, and above all, love,” said Freedom to Marry, one of several groups battling for LGBT marriage rights.

“We’ll remember this day for the rest of our lives,” added the It Gets Better Project, another gay rights organization, in a mass email to supporters.

But the conservative Family Research Council expressed outrage, saying “no court can overturn natural law.”

“Nature and nature’s God, hailed by the signers of our Declaration of Independence as the very source of law, cannot be usurped by the edict of a court, even the United States Supreme Court,” it said.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose state has also prohibited same-sex marriage, said the fight going forward was now one of “religious liberty.”

“No court, no law, no rule, and no words will change the simple truth that marriage is the union of one man and one woman,” he said in a statement.

“Nothing will change the importance of a mother and a father to the raising of a child — and nothing will change our collective resolve that all Americans should be able to exercise their faith in their daily lives without infringement and harassment.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/supreme-court-makes-gay-marriage-legal/

10 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
When the westerners bring up some stupid believes and ideologies, we scramble to embrace them..
Now let's imagine that the world embraces homosexuality and everyone got a same Sex marriage. Fast forward 100 years from now and humans will be an endangered specie.
My country has a 14years jail term for it, when I become president you all homos will spend d rest of ur life in a correctional facility. angry sad

321 Likes 20 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
Wetin concern us for naija?

58 Likes 5 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
END TIME THINGS.

Now that the US so much love Nigeria coz of her new government.......
Let's wait for NASS to settle and see bills being sponsored.

#iDeyWait

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
Abeg Clearly state the supreme court!! Make we no confuse

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
barcanista:
Wetin concern us for naija?
it concerns us.. angry since the inception of legalizing same Sex marriage, we strangely have advocates for them in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by joseph1832(m): 7:47pm On Jun 26, 2015
This people can make same sex marriage legal and outlaw the thing that gives many people sense and relief, that is marijuana.

I wonder why some people misplace their priority all in the name of civilization, because if its okay for a man and another man or a woman and a woman to marry or have sexual relation, I see no reason whatsoever why a human being can enjoy the sweet effect of marijuana!.

In the words of Peter Tosh: "Legalize it, and I will advertise it". Free tha WEED!!!.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
it concerns us.. angry since the inception of legalizing same Sex marriage, we strangely have advocates for them in Nigeria.
So how does the ruling have impact on Nigerians?

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Psylas(m): 8:10pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
When the westerners bring up some stupid believes and ideologies, we scramble to embrace them..
Now let's imagine that the world embraces homosexuality and everyone got a same Sex marriage. Fast forward 100 years from now and humans will be an endangered specie.
My country has a 14years jail term for it, when I become president you all homos will spend d rest of ur life in a correctional facility. angry sad
you are just ignorant about life, so Nigerian govt or nigerians get sense pass those oyibos and their govt baa? Hehe, the whites are wise and right. Damn Africa

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Firefire(m): 8:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Orisirisi topic undecided

God bless Nigeria and Dr. Goodluck Jonathan.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
Psylas:
you are just ignorant about life, so Nigerian govt or nigerians get sense pass those oyibos and their govt baa? Hehe, the whites are wise and right. Damn Africa
like I told someone earlier... If your dad married another man, you won't be here replying me with trash...

327 Likes 26 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:24pm On Jun 26, 2015
barcanista:
So how does the ruling have impact on Nigerians?
tonye you know very well that whatever happens in America ends up in our shores somehow...

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Psylas(m): 8:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
like I told someone earlier... If your dad married another man, you won't be here replying me with trash...
i also have a good way to reply this buy it might be offensive to u, don't push me

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
EMEKA1MILLION:
tonye you know very well that whatever happens in America ends up in our shores somehow...
Well not this particular one

10 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:42pm On Jun 26, 2015
Psylas:
i also have a good way to reply this buy it might be offensive to u, don't push me
it's wrong.. . Nothing makes it right. And supporting it is not logical. #sorry4 the previous post

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by EMEKA1MILLION(m): 8:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
barcanista:
Well not this particular one
Hahahahaha.. You underestimate the Americans... Oh well time will tell.
They know how to pressure to directly or indirectly succumb to their demands..

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Agimor(m): 8:49pm On Jun 26, 2015
The bible does not approve of gayism neither does the koran,nor amadioha even sango disagree.it will even lead to extinction of human existence and now some mofos are calling it a victory for all.judgement will definitely start from the Us.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
Gay right is justified. Anyone is free to sleep with whom they wish.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by TopsyKrete: 9:06pm On Jun 26, 2015
This is happening in a world supposedly own by God Almighty!!!

Irrespective, to God be all the glory

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Ishilove: 9:09pm On Jun 26, 2015
End time things

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
Only legalizing it for em selves...

2 Likes

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Lousymouth(m): 9:11pm On Jun 26, 2015
This world....
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by ShakurM(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015

"We ask, was he born out of homosexuality? undecided We need continuity in our race, and that comes from the woman, and no to homosexuality. John and John, no; Maria and Maria, no. They are worse than dogs and pigs. I keep pigs and the male pig knows the female one."undecided

- President Mugabe on Obama!

I agree with u on this Mugabe.

141 Likes 17 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by oruzuruzu1ofnija(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
K
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by youngice(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Patiently waiting for a gay president so I can be the one to assassinate him

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Yaaaaayyy!!!

Instead of you people to face your Boko Haram, child marriage, unemployment, corruption, poverty, tribalism and fraud problems and leave other countries alone undecided

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Helkayklassic(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Abasha Iranu.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by peeparty(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Ishilove:
End time things

abi mk dem legalize weed too.
this oyinbo sef

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by Triplejays: 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] GOD HAVE MERCY.
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by NifemiOlu(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
Good for them

1 Like

Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by 1stola: 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
The
Re: America's Supreme Court Makes Gay Marriage Legal by saxwizard(m): 9:12pm On Jun 26, 2015
iranu abasa

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Russian Convoy To Kyiv Ambushed By Ukrainian Forces / Donald Trump Signs On A Woman's Chest During Campaign Visit In Iowa (Pics) / Tayyip Erdogan: Turkey Will Never Let Finland & Sweden Join NATO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.