Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,481 members, 7,781,434 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:21 PM

My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder (5664 Views)

DHTML, Or Perhaps Other Developers, I Need You. / :: Dhtml Framework Evolution / Flex Builder Tutorial / Using Some Dhtml Techniques (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 8:03pm On Feb 28, 2009
Now, games programming was something i really really love. In fact that was what brought me to the realm of programming.
I have decided to start off a DHTML ludo game project - open source too - right here on this board.

Features will include:
- 2 or more playing on a single pc
- Network mode will be available
- It will also include a small chat app

Languages to be used:
- (X)HTML
- CSS
- Javascript/Ajax (compulsory)
- PHP
- MySQL

Watch this thread for updates

Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 6:21am On Mar 01, 2009
Currently searching for algorithm.
@cyberomni, the indian chic that made the java ludo i told u about, i have been able to contact her, i hope to chat with her soonest to get the algorithm.
@kobojunkie, please help me with the algorithm, the one u made with vb too will help - i want to minimize development time for this.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by cyberomin(m): 12:19pm On Mar 01, 2009
Yes Boss, pls start the tutorial as soon as u get the algorithm, thanx
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by SamMilla1(m): 5:01pm On Mar 02, 2009
i am patiently waiting to see this, i am sure it will be a hit
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by ztyle(m): 2:11am On Mar 03, 2009
. . Me too smiley
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 5:40am On Mar 03, 2009
Rules of the game

I will try to briefly explain the basic rules of the game.

The game can be played by upto four players. Each player starts with four counters in the nests. The players take turns to throw the die in clockwise direction.
A player must throw a six to launch a single counter. Throwing a six also endows the player with a bonus throw! When the player has multiple throws in hand, he might play them in any possible order. Also, if a player throws 3 consecutive sixes, he will be penalized and the sixes will be discarded! Life is rarely fare.
To launch a counter (after a six), just click on it, and then click on the position marked by a Star, which the arrow in the nest points at.
Oh yes! And a player cannot launch or move his opponents' counter with his dice throw. (And with that I hope to have eliminated all possibilities of misunderstanding the rules, )
The counters can be moved in clockwise direction along the board. The objective is to move all your counters inside the Home in the center of the board (before your opponents). To do that, a counter has to complete almost a full revolution, but instead of coming back to its launching star, it should take the path along the curled arrow towards its home. You need an exact throw to get a counter home. You are awarded a bonus throw for moving a counter home!
Warning: If after completing a revolution you carelessly miss the way home no mercy will be shown, and you will have to complete one more revolution! (That is, unless you miss again, when you will have to complete one more revolution. (That is, unless, ))
This rule is to make your way home more competitive. If your counter lands on your opponent's counter, that will knock off the opponent's counter and send it back to its nest! You will also be awarded a bonus throw. However, this rule doesn't apply for if your opponent's counter is on a Star marked place.
If you form a double by landing a counter on another, some special rules apply to them.
Opponents' single counters cannot jump over your double. To get past the double they must first land on it. And landing a single on a double will not knock the doubles off to nest.
If you have an even numbered dice throw, you can move the double as a single block but they will move only half as much the throw. If your double lands on your opponents' double, they knock off both the counters at one go (unless they happen to be on a Star marked cell)!
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by quadrillio(m): 3:26pm On Mar 03, 2009
am waiting so that I can chip in my views but I will leave it you you to start first.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by yawatide(f): 4:05pm On Mar 03, 2009
I think at this point, someone better start defining objects, methods and properties. Will I be the one to do it? Nope cos I am not the original poster.

The English essay is boring me. Let's get our hands dirty already cool
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 03, 2009
I need to get the rules straight first before writing codes. . .
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by yawatide(f): 7:41pm On Mar 03, 2009
That doesn't stop you from coming up with objects.  To demonstrate, I will come up with a few (any more, I and I could be reported for taking over the post  cool)

Objects:
- Player
- House (as in red, green, etc)
- Board

The rules are for the Business Anaysts to decide. As a developer, we can actually start development without requirements being set in stone. That way, we can tell the client that it will take 4 weeks to do when in actuality, cos we started early, it will take only 2 weeks and what's better? we earn the same amount of money regardless? What's better than that.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
So this is an open source stuff, all source codes shall be pasted here as the project goes on - though i will create a subdomain for it later on my website. All inputs from anybody shall be welcomed, this project is not for a client, it is on the house.
And i am not going to rely on my strength alone to pull this all. . .though i will make sure i complete it either ways
All codes are welcome, whether procedural or object oriented. And credits shall be added to all those that contributed
the codes or graphics at the end of the project.

First i will require a board from anyone that is good with graphics design. 2 dimensional, similar to the one i added in my first post. Any volunteers?
The board should be about 500 X 500 Px and of high quality pixel - possibly with source. . .
If you are afraid your drawing may be criticized, send it directly to my email (support@mwebng.net) so that i screen it first before posting it here.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 22, 2012
After a looong break, i finally decided to continue the game. I have started working on the frontend already. I meant the ludo game.
As for the snake and ladders, i have not been able to draw out a simple algorithm yet, but i will improvise after the ludo.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 22, 2012
am eager to know how you're gonna pull this off, cuz am like clueless when u said html. nothing comes to head. all the best sha
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Thatdave(m): 1:01am On Jan 23, 2012
i am going to spin something similar to this with PHP Ajax as soon as am through with my live chat.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 1:55am On Jan 23, 2012
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 3:24am On Jan 23, 2012
Thatdave:

i am going to spin something similar to this with PHP Ajax as soon as am through with my live chat.
Exactly. At least you share my opinion that it can be done with PHP Ajax.
Re: My Dhtml Board Games Project :: Featuring Ludo, Snakes And Ladder by Nobody: 4:15am On Jan 23, 2012

I am using this type of board.

(1) (Reply)

My New Amazon Affiliate Niche Site Journey (practical + Q&A Session) / Drop Your Site/blog And Let Me Tell What You Need To Improve. / How To Get 200+ Free Twitter Followers Daily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.