Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,334 members, 7,780,876 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:42 AM

Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri (2052 Views)

Bring Back Nigerian Prostitutes – Buhari Charges Aides / When Rochas Heard IPOB Had Taken Over Owerri / When Rochas Heard That Biafrans Have Taken Over Owerri!(hilarious Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 7:47am On Jun 28, 2015
Residents of Control Post, Owerri, want Imo State Government to save them from the activities of robbers, prostitutes and other forms of pick pocketers that have now infested the area. There has been an upsurge in harassment from large number hoodlums since the demolition of Ukwuakpu along Assumpta Avenue, which forced the nocturnal men to relocate to Onitsha Road.

Some of the residents of the area who took their grievances to THE Leader Newspaper on Thursday, Nov. 14, said they now live in fear because the presence of fierce looking men and ladies. One of the residents who owns a shop along Onitsha Road narrated how these robbers broke into her shop and snatched away her generator set. Her case became compounded she said, when she complained to one of the regular prostitutes. The prostitute agreed to help her retrieve her generator from her gang and demanded the sum of five thousand Naira from her. In her quest to have back her property, she paid the money. She said after a few days of fruitless waiting, she saw the prostitute and reminded her of their deal. The response she received was that the group which was in custody of the generator was a stubborn one and needed more money. The victim had to release another cash of one thousand Naira.

At the time of this report, she had not got her generator back or seen the prostitute again.
When THE LEADER visited the Control Post, it was discovered that many residents and traders in the area have had similar experiences. While some have had their money snatched from their pockets, others described how their shops have been burgled while others narrated stories of intimidation in the area from prostitutes and these brigands.

In a chat with the Community Government (CGC) Youth Leader, New Owerri II, Mr. Chimezie Ibe, he expressed regrets at the growing activities of hoodlums at the Control Post. Mr. Ibe categorized these hoodlums into: prostitutes, robbers, touts, Indian hemp smokers and some resident-criminals. He attributed the menace to the presence of illegal Motor Parks, which have attracted and also groomed most evils right in front of Assumpta Cathedral.

He noted that the demolished Ukwuakpu also led to the displacement of some of the robbers and prostitutes who relocated to the uncompleted shops and stalls under construction behind the NNPC Mega Station along Onitsha Road.

In a further investigation, THE LEADER reporter spotted the presence of one popular brothel in the area known as “Timaya” as a major boost to the presence of these criminals around the Control Post. Most of the prostitutes, THE LEADER gathered are provided accommodation in the lodge from where they operate. Our reporter gathered from authoritative sources that these prostitutes partner with the operators of Timaya who use them to patronize their customers. While Timaya provides the official lodge for some, others rent houses inside Kalu Nwankwo and Akajiaku Estates whereas others hibernate in the uncompleted structures behind the Mega Filling Station.

When THE LEADER visited the police on the issue, the Imo State Police Public Relations Officer, Mrs. Joy Elemoko, admitted awareness of the situation at the Control Post. Asked why such illegality and lawlessness continue to flourish in the presence of law enforcement officers – police and army stationed in the area, she noted that the police cannot do it alone. She remarked that the situation has been like that for long but seems to be getting worse now that Christmas is approaching. The PPRO expressed regrets that the situation at the control post is a huge challenge which the police are finding difficult to deal with.

According to her, “We are powerless – if we go there and raid the place – as we did before, their brothers will come here to complain and bail them out. The last time we raided the place, calls were coming from Abuja and everywhere asking for those arrested to be released”. She went further to say, “Unfortunately, some of the prostitutes are being patronized by dignitaries who have a lot of power. Even the baby factory we raided has put us under a lot of pressure”. The police spokeswoman refused to attribute the menace to the issue of unemployment as she maintained, “There are bankers and working class people who are still armed robbers. Some people are prostitutes, whether they have job or not”. She however reiterated the resolve of the police to fight corruption as she promised that they will continue to draw the attention of those responsible to that alarming condition at the Control Post Owerri.

It should be recalled that the Imo State Governor, Owelle Rochas Okorocha had earlier acknowledged the presence of prostitutes at the Control Post. Governor Okorocha had stated at the time he was repealing the outrageous abortion bill that he was distressed by the presence of prostitutes in front of the Assumpta Cathedral. The Governor said it shocks his imagination that young ladies could be prostituting boldly right in front of an imposing sacred structure like Assumpta Cathedral.

Analysts say the government seems not to be bothered about the situation in the area since it has refused to ban all the motor parks at the control post.

http://theleaderassumpta.com/2013/11/17/robbers-prostitutes-take-over-control-post-owerri/
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 7:51am On Jun 28, 2015
rochas should do something about this ugly trend
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by osaslord500(m): 7:52am On Jun 28, 2015
Prostitute are getting much in Nigeria since we voted for change.
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by natas22: 7:54am On Jun 28, 2015
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by chimerase2: 7:54am On Jun 28, 2015
undecided
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 7:57am On Jun 28, 2015
osaslord500:
Prostitute are getting much in Nigeria since we voted for change.

i think it is an imo state thing not nigeria
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by osaslord500(m): 8:14am On Jun 28, 2015
cindicandy:

Imo and osun. Very soon it will spread like a flu
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by vivalavida(m): 8:23am On Jun 28, 2015
cindicandy:

Shut that ur trap up. Which imo thing? Hw many states in Nigeria have u been to to make u come to such a conclusion? What makes it an imo thing?

1 Like

Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 28, 2015
Na wa o. May God help them
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Philistine(m): 8:25am On Jun 28, 2015
Another Imo vs Anambra Thread. Lwkmd!
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 8:55am On Jun 28, 2015
vivalavida:

Shut that ur trap up. Which imo thing? Hw many states in Nigeria have u been to to make u come to such a conclusion? What makes it an imo thing?

i have been to 22 states but imo state is the champion of prostitution
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by CentralIntels: 9:01am On Jun 28, 2015
imo state and its people are cursed

abagworo cheesy
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Dbboy(m): 9:13am On Jun 28, 2015
Rubbish, when you come to owerri then you would know that life is Good with money. All these people writing rubbish are just miserable people, is it the same owerri that I am planning to settle down. I don't think a state can be as interesting, accommodating and exposed as owerri. My brothers if you have money head down to owerri and go get a land.

Owerri a state a state were were your freedom and liberty are observed,they cant be any like you. If you have not been there you are missing.
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 9:51am On Jun 28, 2015
Owerri is just home to army of industrial and commercial prostitutes and nothing more. if you raise 5 daughters in owerri the possibility that all of them will become commercial se.x hawkers is there.

[s]
Dbboy:
Rubbish, when you come to owerri then you would know that life is Good with money. All these people writing rubbish are just miserable people, is it the same owerri that I am planning to settle down. I don't think a state can be as interesting, accommodating and exposed as owerri. My brothers if you have money head down to owerri and go get a land.

Owerri a state a state were were your freedom and liberty are observed,they cant be any like you. If you have not been there you are missing.
[/s]
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by vivalavida(m): 9:53am On Jun 28, 2015
cindicandy:

Then your brain is upside down. Thatz all i can tell u.

U havent seen the shit dat goes down in edo,calabar and even ogun state where i did my nysc. I am from imo state and schooled there. There are prostitutes but if u get to flour mills in calabar or u get to the stadium @ogun state in the night,u will know that nothing is happening in imo state. U havent even talked abt allen avenue in lagos plus the plenty other places in the different vicinities in lagos state where i reside. All the beaches in lagos are filled with prostitutes. Almost all the hotels in the nooks and cranies too. What will u say abt abuja? Biko,stop saying things you dont knw
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by cindicandy(f): 9:56am On Jun 28, 2015
imo state is their head-office. You can get a 12yrs old prostitute in owerri.

[s]
vivalavida:

Then your brain is upside down. Thatz all i can tell u.

U havent seen the shit dat goes down in edo,calabar and even ogun state where i did my nysc. I am from imo state and schooled there. There are prostitutes but if u get to flour mills in calabar or u get to the stadium @ogun state in the night,u will know that nothing is happening in imo state. U havent even talked abt allen avenue in lagos plus the plenty other places in the different vicinities in lagos state where i reside. All the beaches in lagos are filled with prostitutes. Almost all the hotels in the nooks and cranies too. What will u say abt abuja? Biko,stop saying things you dont knw
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by CentralIntels: 11:10am On Jun 28, 2015
stay away from imo state, it not safe for people that are raising family
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by ekefre4(m): 11:34am On Jun 28, 2015
And d name of the brothel is TIMAYA ;DAnd d name of the brothel is TIMAYA
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by bjtinz: 11:37am On Jun 28, 2015
Yes i will agree imo is a hot bed for our, but its wrong to asume they're all from the state.

Speaking from. . ehem. . .experience embarassed i can say for a fact quite a number r from neighboring states, onitsha, PH, even as far as Delta/edo. Owerri perhaps due to d sheer number of hotels offers a perfect location for guys to 'cool off' for d weekend.

1 Like

Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 28, 2015
anambra people have come with fake news again.

1 Like

Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 28, 2015
cindicandy:

if you have been to 22 states in dis Nigeria as a young girl, you are an experience ASHAWOO. who is not happy that new sets are coming up. I see your generation becoming prostitute.
Re: Robbers, Prostitutes Take Over Owerri by Dbboy(m): 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2015
cindicandy:
Owerri is just home to army of industrial and commercial prostitutes and nothing more. if you raise 5 daughters in owerri the possibility that all of them will become commercial se.x hawkers is there.

[s][/s]

Let me guess you are a Virgin and all your sisters are virgin. Pls go and sleep rather than come here and generalize . People like you are the ones that collect maintenance fee from there boy friends, yet come here to preach morality.

(1) (Reply)

Appeal Court Delivers Judgement On Magnus Abe Vs Olaka Wogu / Pipeline Bombings: Soldiers Declare War On Militants, Comb Creeks / Former President Jonathan's House To Be Demolished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.