Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,856 members, 7,798,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:20 AM

Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos (5356 Views)

Growing Red Corn With Photos / EXPERT ADVICE: The Most Profitable Agrobusiness 2016 / Can I Start Snail Farming With 40,000 Naira Only? Directives From Old Farmers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 29, 2015
Here's a little contribution to those looking for biz ideas & farmers out there:

Vermiculture is a fancy name for "worm farming and its related products." The word is derived from Vermi meaning worm and culture. Vermiculture is big business many developed countries. Vermiculture, also known as vermicomposting is the use of specially bred earthworms to aerate the soil and convert organic matter into liquid compost organic fertilizer, also known as Worm tea.

Worm tea is a fantastic fertilizer known mostly for its ability to boost microbiological activity in soil by adding bacteria, fungi, acinomycetes, and protozoa to the soil. It is brewed by either soaking a porous bag full of worm castings in water or simply dumping the castings into a container of clean chemical free water. It can also be produced when worm castings are mixed with water and molasses and brewed for 24 hours. The molasses will serve as a food source for beneficial microorganisms that are part of worm castings. The brewing process multiplies the beneficial microorganisms of the worm casting tea rapidly. The resulting liquid is then filtered and bottled for sale.

Worm tea is one of the most potent liquid fertilizers. One can start a liquid fertilizer business in Nigeria with it, targeting farmers and gardeners; its potency would speaks for it self. It is very cheap to produce. Farmers, especially those into vegetable farming can construct the composer for harvesting worm tea. One can set it up on his farm, and apply it to farm from time to time.

Worm Tea have many positive properties for soil and plants.

·They act as a natural fungicide and insecticide
·can be used as an organic fertilizer
·will never burn plants
·and will improve soil structure and plant health.

It’s really easy to produce and the results will speak for themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by drollster(m): 4:42am On Jun 30, 2015
Good morning OP. I need more information. Are you into the business? Can I learn from you?
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Juliana7: 11:30am On Jun 30, 2015
@maple, this is awesome. Pls sir from d diagram u show us it looks more like it as compartment(from my stage to d other) but from d black drum we saw with tap beneath how can one achieve dat. Pls sir i would need response. Thanks
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jun 30, 2015
^^ those "black drums" are placed on each other thus creating 3 different compartments. You could use local resources to create ur own type of compartments as long as u get the idea presented in the diagram.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jun 30, 2015
drollster:
Good morning OP. I need more information. Are you into the business? Can I learn from you?

No sir, I am not into it myself. However, there are a lot of resources on the Internet incase u are interested.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by drollster(m): 10:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
Maple:

No sir, I am not into it myself. However, there are a lot of resources on the Internet incase u are interested.

I am. Will do some more research. Could you give me some links? Thanks.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 30, 2015

1 Like

Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jun 30, 2015
You could create your own brand of worm liquid composts and sell it to fish farmers. Liquid organic fertilizer like Super Gro, is made from poultry droppings, but the potency of liquid organic fertilizer made from worms casts is second to non. Btw, the guy above was a catfish farmer who now is into the vermiculture biz (check last link).

1 Like

Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by drollster(m): 3:59am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Juliana7: 10:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
@maple, pls sir, is it true dat d worm tea should be used immediately u collect it from d tank, i learnt it loses its potency thereafter. How true is dis.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by sissons(m): 10:28pm On Jul 01, 2015
Wow, this is a great business opportunity oooo
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 1:39am On Jul 02, 2015
Juliana7:
@maple, pls sir, is it true dat d worm tea should be used immediately u collect it from d tank, i learnt it loses its potency thereafter. How true is dis.

Shelf life for a packaged (bottled and sealed) worm tea is normally 30 days, its more if left exposed. Potency can be increased by adding molasses sugary products for the microbes in the solution. There are varieties products out there that are used to extend worm tea shelve lives beyond 30 days.

As for the bagged worm casting (solid byproducts), they can have a shelf life of 1 year.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Seun(m): 11:01am On Jul 16, 2015
Where can one get red wiggler worms in Nigeria? I want to use them to dispose organic wastes in an environmentally friendly way.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Swiftboy(m): 2:23pm On Jul 16, 2015
Seun:
Where can one get red wiggler worms in Nigeria? I want to use them to dispose organic wastes in an environmentally friendly way.
oh I think you need to visit the swamps or breed them yourself. Meanwhile,this guy needs your help to win Vector's king kong contest. Please help him.
Enjoy his cover of the original song here
http://realest.com.ng/Singles/364/Blaqbonez-King-Kong-Vector-Cover-and-The-New-Guy-Sarkodie-Cover
the details are in my signature. Please help him to be a star.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by FarmTech(m): 2:32pm On Jul 16, 2015
Seun:
It is the normal earthworm u know. Op, thanks for making me interested in this next is practicalizing it.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jul 16, 2015
FarmTech:

It is the normal earthworm u know. Op, thanks for making me interested in this next is practicalizing it.

Ur are welcome.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by Sveen: 2:13am On Jul 17, 2015
Seun:
Happy birthday to you sir, wishing you long life and prosperity in health and wealth. God go make you bigger.
Re: Agrobusiness: Vermiculture (earthworms Farming) with Photos by phoenixchap: 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
Anyone practising this already Would love to try it out. wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Agro Employment And Agro Services / Cargo Containers and Refeer Containers For Sale (pix) / Onion Seed Is Available For Sell At Affordable Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.