Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:02 AM

Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo (7351 Views)

My Take On Source of Yorubas from Benin As A Bini Nairalander / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / History Of Ikwerre - The Bini Connection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by StarFlux: 10:15pm On Jun 30, 2015
I was listening to Victor Uwaifo when I came by Joromi. Could anyone tell me more about the origin of this tale and its age?
I also notice it is pronounced with a J-sound, was this sound present in Edo far back?

Other tales would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbe7UefYCN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKd0pSysaf0
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by southernbelle(f): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2015
lol what a coincidence, I'm from Edo state-bini precisely. few days ago, I was thinking about this man and this song and I was trying to remember the story behind this song too(I was close to my grandfather and he told me lots of stories then). I think Joromi went to the land of the spirits to get something and he had to fight with them, ok..that's what I can remember cheesy
if anyone else knows the story better, it would be nice to learn.
hmmm feeling nostalgic already smiley

1 Like

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by StarFlux: 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2015
southernbelle:
lol what a coincidence, I'm from Edo state-bini precisely. few days ago, I was thinking about this man and this song and I was trying to remember the story behind this song too(I was close to my grandfather and he told me lots of stories then). I think Joromi went to the land of the spirits to get something and he had to fight with them, ok..that's what I can remember cheesy
Oh, I see. Thank you for your insight. Yes oo, these tales are very interesting. My father also told me some in the past, but I can't recall anything but minor pieces sadly.

Hopefully someone with a better memory comes by to enlighten us.
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by jemype(m): 12:21pm On Jul 05, 2015
not benin but I served there. used to love the song back then when I served and the interpretation I remembered was that joromi went to the land of the spirits after being warned by his parents and sisters not to go there severely. he was a strong wrestler and had defeated everyone on earth. so on getting to hell he met a seven headed monster. I remember the warning "kese" "kese" to mean - "dont go" "dont go" but cant really recall the accurate account of the aftermath of joromis battle but some people say he ran and while the 7 headed devil tried. to grab him he scratched his back leaving him with d serration. grooves on human beings while others say he died in the battle. but I'd say the predominant one I remember was that he died in battle which made the song somewhat a tribute.
southernbelle:
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by southernbelle(f): 1:40pm On Jul 05, 2015
jemype:
not benin but I served there. used to love the song back then when I served and the interpretation I remembered was that joromi went to the land of the spirits after being warned by his parents and sisters not to go there severely. he was a strong wrestler and had defeated everyone on earth. so on getting to hell he met a seven headed monster. I remember the warning "kese" "kese" to mean - "dont go" "dont go" but cant really recall the accurate account of the aftermath of joromis battle but some people say he ran and while the 7 headed devil tried. to grab him he scratched his back leaving him with d serration. grooves on human beings while others say he died in the battle. but I'd say the predominant one I remember was that he died in battle which made the song somewhat a tribute.
wow, you've even done a better job than an indigene (me) cheesy cheesy
this is a challenge angry when i've got the time, i'll do my research and post a comprehensive report here

3 Likes

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by southernbelle(f): 1:47pm On Jul 05, 2015
StarFlux:
Oh, I see. Thank you for your insight. Yes oo, these tales are very interesting. My father also told me some in the past, but I can't recall anything but minor pieces sadly.

Hopefully someone with a better memory comes by to enlighten us.

you are welcome smiley jemype has done a good job though
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by Nobody: 3:08am On Jul 06, 2015
jemype:

It is interesting how the folklore of the different peoples of Southern Nigeria bear so much resemblance. This short synopsis of yours is almost identical with the story of Ojaadili among the Igbo people.

2 Likes

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by jemype(m): 3:22am On Jul 06, 2015
Radoillo:

It is interesting how the folklore of the different peoples of Southern Nigeria bear so much resemblance. This short synopsis of yours is almost identical with the story of Ojaadili among the Igbo people.
yes. u are right. and if u compare it to the popular jack and the beanstalk too, it has similarites.
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by macof(m): 4:14pm On Jul 06, 2015
Radoillo:

Its no use denying that southern Nigerian people descended from one culture
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by francisjaph(m): 2:32pm On Dec 10, 2016
It is a well known truth that Africa is a land of beautiful culture and tradition in which stories serves as didactic teaching. it tells stories of great men-of hunters, farmers, kings, priests and princes. One thing we get from our forefathers is this, that the stories were told to them by their fore parents also. so we can't really ascertain some validity and truthfulness in them.
But I must say they were good stories meant to inculcate morality in us in the African way of life. Now, back to the story of Joromi. Joromi as the story was told, was a very powerful warlord in ancient Ubini kingdom, who became too powerful physically and spiritually. He fought and later became a man that cannot be killed by any man born of a woman.
He got to his Achilles hill when he decided to fight spirits even to the extend when the elders in Bini advised him of the dangers involve trying to fight the immortal. He went to the afterworld but no body knew how the fight was, whether he won or loosed because he never returned to his land alive.
Perhaps he defeated the gods and was immortalized. No body can tell of the aftermath.
ASSESSMENT OF THE STORY
We all know that the African man have his own ways of teaching his children, especially through story telling of great men, of animals and inanimate characters. Stories like this as told above is very common among these culturally awaken people in Nigeria (Yoruba, Bini, Hausa and Igbo). Don't you think the story was just fiction, though interesting? Well all in all, its a good story.

1 Like

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by tuscani: 11:01pm On Sep 29, 2017
jemype:
You are very right. At the end of the battle joromi worn, the fight he was given the price, and he ran away, but the 7 headed monster followed him, then at the junction between the land of the living and the dead, in oghoton village somewhere in Edo south, the village is still, there, joromi ran with all his strength to the land of the living, in an attempt to catch him the spirit left a groove at his back. That is the groove we all have till today. Oba gha tokpere... Isee

3 Likes

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by googi: 12:05am On Oct 01, 2017
Thanks very much.

Let them keep going, denying their common origin while claiming familiarity with outsiders.

Have you read the Father of all Nigerian Ethnic Groups?

Google it.

macof:

Its no use denying that southern Nigerian people descended from one culture
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by raskome2017(m): 7:18pm On Dec 06, 2018
Joromi has an aged mother who warned him severely never to go to the land of the spirit. This happeed after joromi had boasted that he wanted to visit the land of the spirit to test his power. Against all warnings from his mother he left home to the land of the spirit, meanwhile his mother followed from behind unknown to joromi. On getting there he met 7 spirits. The first had 1 horn, the second 2 horns and so on. He wrestled and killed the first, second, third to the 6th spirit with 6 horns. Unfortunately for joromi, the 7th spirits with 7 horns overpowered joromi and killed him. While this was going on his mother was in a nearby bush watching the sport. After killing joromi, the 7th spirit pluck a special leaf and squeezed the liquid from this leaf into the eyes of the 6 dead spirits and they woke up immediately. Quickly they all ran to the forest to get sticks to cook joromi, as soon as they left, the mother who was watching nearby, came out, pluck the same leaf, sprinkled the water into joromi's eyes and he woke up also. Both living beings started running, when the spirit returned and joromi was nowhere to be found, they gave a hot pursuit, joromi had to carry his aged mother, close to the boundary line between life and and the spirit land, joromi increased his pace, threw his mother with all his might, and as he was about to lift himself to jump, the 7 horned spirit, lifted his body with his last power, dive unto joromi but could not catch him, struck joromi 's back with the tip of his index finger before joromi landed on the land of the living. Thats why we humans have a long line on our backs.

4 Likes

Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by scholes0(m): 3:18am On Dec 07, 2018
raskome2017:
Joromi has an aged mother who warned him severely never to go to the land of the spirit. This happeed after joromi had boasted that he wanted to visit the land of the spirit to test his power. Against all warnings from his mother he left home to the land of the spirit, meanwhile his mother followed from behind unknown to joromi. On getting there he met 7 spirits. The first had 1 horn, the second 2 horns and so on. He wrestled and killed the first, second, third to the 6th spirit with 6 horns. Unfortunately for joromi, the 7th spirits with 7 horns overpowered joromi and killed him. While this was going on his mother was in a nearby bush watching the sport. After killing joromi, the 7th spirit pluck a special leaf and squeezed the liquid from this leaf into the eyes of the 6 dead spirits and they woke up immediately. Quickly they all ran to the forest to get sticks to cook joromi, as soon as they left, the mother who was watching nearby, came out, pluck the same leaf, sprinkled the water into joromi's eyes and he woke up also. Both living beings started running, when the spirit returned and joromi was nowhere to be found, they gave a hot pursuit, joromi had to carry his aged mother, close to the boundary line between life and and the spirit land, joromi increased his pace, threw his mother with all his might, and as he was about to lift himself to jump, the 7 horned spirit, lifted his body with his last power, dive unto joromi but could not catch him, struck joromi 's back with the tip of his index finger before joromi landed on the land of the living. Thats why we humans have a long line on our backs.

lol funny nd interesting.
Re: Tale Of Joromi Bini/edo by StarFlux: 3:20am On Dec 07, 2018
raskome2017:
Very interesting. Thank you for sharing!

(1) (Reply)

Ijaws Are The Most Beautiful Tribe In Nigeria. (Photos). / Yoruba: What Is The Meaning Of 'bibo Asiri' In English / Will You Marry Your Tribal Person Or Another Tribe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.