Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,721 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) (74954 Views)

Newly Built Bungalow, 3 Bedroom And A Room And Parlour / The Making Of A Low Budget 5 Bedroom Duplex (with Costs) / 5 Bedroom Bungalow​ & 3 Bedroom Bungalow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 3:21am On Jul 01, 2015
Having a laundry room between kitchen and dining room is something I have never seen done before. Consider moving the dining close to the kitchen. A dining room should not be that far away from the kitchen.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by PHfinest(m): 5:54am On Jul 01, 2015
Very much present. Good job you are doing here.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by Mgbadike80: 8:31am On Jul 01, 2015
FastShipping:
Having a laundry room between kitchen and dining room is something I have never seen done before. Consider moving the dining close to the kitchen. A dining room should not be that far away from the kitchen.
i don't most Nigerians would mind but ideally, he should put the kitchen at the laundry position and the laundry at yhe current kitchen position, that should solve d problem. it's still a very nice plan though not perfect

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by ahmedonia4real(m): 1:24pm On Jul 01, 2015
Following.........
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by erico2k2(m): 2:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
abdulwastecx:
here is the floor plan
there are two flaws in your floor plans Oga mufutau already spoted the lack of window in the master B/room WC, the next flaw is that your dinning area is far from your kitchen,it requires food to come out of kitchen unto living area then to dinning area.The reason open plan kitchen came i nto be was to address this issue,I recon you should adjust your plan so that the laundry room goes behind the kitchen and the kitchen is adjacent to the living room and just behind the dinning area, you can make it open plan with arch opening or just put a door to seal out smell and frying smoke,wh yah say grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
erico2k2:

there are two flaws in your floor plans Oga mufutau already spoted the lack of window in the master B/room WC, the next flaw is that your dinning area is far from your kitchen,it requires food to come out of kitchen unto living area then to dinning area.The reason open plan kitchen came i nto be was to address this issue,I recon you should adjust your plan so that the laundry room goes behind the kitchen and the kitchen is adjacent to the living room and just behind the dinning area, you can make it open plan with arch opening or just put a door to seal out smell and frying smoke,wh yah say grin grin grin

As a matter of fact, the whole plan is flawed. The laundry room should not be anywhere near the kitchen or living room. The laundry room should be close to the bedrooms in the building. How can one bring out dirty clothes from the room and pass through the living room and kitchen before getting to the laundry room? He should scrapped the closet in-between the two small rooms and create a laundry room there. A closet can be re-created for the small room by cutting part of the kitchen space.

4 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by blapo(m): 2:59pm On Jul 01, 2015
FastShipping:

I observe the same, can't the kitchen be located in between the Dinning room and the laundry? let the kitchen be in the middle.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by erico2k2(m): 8:09pm On Jul 01, 2015
FastShipping:

As a matter of fact, the whole plan is flawed. The laundry room should not be anywhere near the kitchen or living room. The laundry room should be close to the bedrooms in the building. How can one bring out dirty clothes from the room and pass through the living room and kitchen before getting to the laundry room? He should scrapped the closet in-between the two small rooms and create a laundry room there. A closet can be re-created for the small room by cutting part of the kitchen space.
I agree with you to some extent however, the idea of laundry room close to the bedroom would be a no brainier, ie imagine the washing machine spinning to dry at 11pm, too noisy grin grin,if you check most new built houses in the west, washing machine is in the kitchen under the kitchen work. as for the *bringing dirty clothes through the living room to the laundry * you got me choking grin grin grin grin, I would like to think there is such thing as laundry basket.But on a serious note, he does need to do some changes, I will upload my plans here too, mayB you guys can check for fault as well cos two heads are way better than one.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by erico2k2(m): 8:17pm On Jul 01, 2015
abdulwastecx:
Good evening room, I am about to start the construction of a three bedroom flat for a a nairalander in Port Harcourt. I find it interesting to share the cost analysis, some small structural design procedure and construction process so that other prospective building owner can contributes and also learn from the job
I was the one who rang you regarding the bore hole .Weldon and God bless your hustle.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 8:21pm On Jul 01, 2015
erico2k2:

I agree with you to some extent however, the idea of laundry room close to the bedroom would be a no brainier, ie imagine the washing machine spinning to dry at 11pm, too noisy grin grin,if you check most new built houses in the west, washing machine is in the kitchen under the kitchen work. as for the *bringing dirty clothes through the living room to the laundry * you got me choking grin grin grin grin, I would like to think there is such thing as laundry basket.But on a serious note, he does need to do some changes, I will upload my plans here too, mayB you guys can check for fault as well cos two heads are way better than one.

I know in Europe they do have laundry built in the kitchen. In the U.S, we normally have it in a separate room close to bedrooms. U.S homes have laundry rooms. I have never seen a house in the U.S with laundry in the kitchen. About doing laundry at 11pm, why would anyone do laundry at 11pm? Laundry is something normally done mostly on weekend mornings till afternoon.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by erico2k2(m): 8:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
FastShipping:

I know in Europe they do have laundry built in the kitchen. In the U.S, we normally have it in a separate room close to bedrooms. U.S homes have laundry rooms. I have never seen a house in the U.S with laundry in the kitchen. About doing laundry at 11pm, why would anyone do laundry at 11pm? Laundry is something normally done mostly on weekend mornings till afternoon.
yeh true, you know our houses in the Uk are smaller than the ones you guys have, we do not have space here grin grin, well as for the 11pm thing, you remember its in Nigeria Power comes mainly at night so if PHCN bring light at 1058pm, def the washing is going in 11pm, you ge tme now cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by nduline: 10:13pm On Jul 01, 2015
[quote author=abdulwastecx post=35343621]
i will get back to you sir
Oga, I am still expecting your response. Thanks
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by Mgbadike80: 1:33am On Jul 02, 2015
to u all, u need to know that the average Nigerian is secretive with knowledge which why u hardly see any floor plans on this board, even the legendary Spyder880 now hoards building plans which is quite pathetic. the most painful part is that almost all who posted their building plans have it criticized and improved upon
so based on that this young man should be praised for rising above the common idiosyncrasy of our fold by releasing this floor plan online. the simple trusth of the matter is that the plan is ok as it is, it can become better by either interchanging the position of the kitchen with the laundry room or combining the kitchen together with the laundry room. this second option would allow him to obtain a three or four feet deep veranda at the back of the kitchen if he so choose. the real problem with the plan is that it lacks d ability for someone to move from the bedroom to the kitchen without been seen by guests in the living room. but that shortcoming is the price for a compact plan that would be affordable to build.

13 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by abdulwastecx(m): 5:30am On Jul 02, 2015
Mgbadike80:
to u all, u need to know that the average Nigerian is secretive with knowledge which why u hardly see any floor plans on this board, even the legendary Spyder880 now hoards building plans which is quite pathetic. the most painful part is that almost all who posted their building plans have it criticized and improved upon
so based on that this young man should be praised for rising above the common idiosyncrasy of our fold by releasing this floor plan online. the simple trusth of the matter is that the plan is ok as it is, it can become better by either interchanging the position of the kitchen with the laundry room or combining the kitchen together with the laundry room. this second option would allow him to obtain a three or four feet deep veranda at the back of the kitchen if he so choose. the real problem with the plan is that it lacks d ability for someone to move from the bedroom to the kitchen without been seen by guests in the living room. but that shortcoming is the price for a compact plan that would be affordable to build.

I love the criticism and i think they are all positive.
with regards to the laundry position, i think i will change it to make the kitchen closer to the dining area.

Introduction of additional wall to make solve that problem will render the living small small and will make that area very dark since natural light will hardly come in due to lack of window

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by snakebeat: 6:19am On Jul 02, 2015
abdulwastecx:

225mm head course, means a 9" concrete beam place ontop of the building serving as the final course to receive the roofing truss ( tie beam and rafter).

Light reinforcement means Nominal reinforcement ( a minimum reinforcement of say 2Y10 down and 2Y12 up), though you need the 1/8 iron tie rods spaced @ 4ft (1.2m) center to tie the roof truss to the building.

Concrete foundation footing is what people commonly or mistakenly called blinding.
Blinding is a weak concrete no necessarily of the strength of the main structural member intended to protect, which help protect such member from the surface of the soil below.
Concrete strip footing can be define as a type of shallow foundation ( shallow foundation <= width or with depth < = 1.5m) which carries uniformly distributed load ( load from load bearing partition walls). we have normal strip and wide strip ( due too poorer soil and low bearing capacity),, wide strip requires reinforcement against shear stress.
Nice analysis sir.
So it means foundation footings should be done after blinding, but most people lay foundation blocks on the blinding, without any foundation footing. Does this have any serious structural implication on the building? & what is the purpose of blinding? Since both blinding & footings are concrete?
Thanks.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by Mgbadike80: 6:22am On Jul 02, 2015
abdulwastecx:

I love the criticism and i think they are all positive.
with regards to the laundry position, i think i will change it to make the kitchen closer to the dining area.

Introduction of additional wall to make solve that problem will render the living small small and will make that area very dark since natural light will hardly come in due to lack of window
i love ur humility, excellent cost analysis and ability to take criticism very well.i hope we can work on something in d future.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by abdulwastecx(m): 6:26am On Jul 02, 2015
Mgbadike80:
i love ur humility, excellent cost analysis and ability to take criticism very well.i hope we can work on something in d future.

you are welcome sir
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by abdulwastecx(m): 6:36am On Jul 02, 2015
snakebeat:

Nice analysis sir.
So it means foundation footings should be done after blinding, but most people lay foundation blocks on the blinding, without any foundation footing. Does this have any serious structural implication on the building? & what is the purpose of blinding? Since both blinding & footings are concrete?
Thanks.

blinding : blinding should be done before main concrete footing, its made of weaker concrete to protect the main foundation footing from adverse soil condition like moisture. It's commonly used on reinforced concrete foundation like pad footings, reinforced wide strip, raft foundation etc.
For a strip foundation without reinforcement ( iron bar) no blinding is really needed

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by snakebeat: 6:42am On Jul 02, 2015
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by snakebeat: 6:42am On Jul 02, 2015
abdulwastecx:

blinding : blinding should be done before main concrete footing, its made of weaker concrete to protect the main foundation footing from adverse soil condition like moisture. It's commonly used on reinforced concrete foundation like pad footings, reinforced wide strip, raft foundation etc.
For a strip foundation without reinforcement ( iron bar) no blinding is really needed

U're good sir...
Are u done with the school project?
No more update...
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by abdulwastecx(m): 6:50am On Jul 02, 2015
snakebeat:

U're good sir...
Are u done with the school project?
No more update...

i have completed my task there sir....our job description is to get the building up to roof level.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by Mgbadike80: 10:07am On Jul 02, 2015
oga Abdul pls let's continue with the cost analysis.

2 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by danielblessing(m): 10:57am On Jul 02, 2015
cooldudeng:
Booked!
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by sule4: 2:12pm On Jul 02, 2015
FastShipping:

Everyone needs to slow down on the criticisms. In the U.S! Seriously! My laundry is right after my kitchen. I'll show you many 6 and 7 bedroom homes, with two living rooms with that same pattern. The Plan in my opinion, needs the living room closer to the kitchen and ventilation system in the masters bathroom. Since there's no steady electricity supply in Nigeria, that might mean a window.
This young man is open hearted; let's not try only see flaws in his work without appreciating his creativity. There's no such thing as impeccable/ perfect, except for fissions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by PHfinest(m): 2:18pm On Jul 02, 2015
Mgbadike80:
so based on that this young man should be praised for rising above the common idiosyncrasy of our fold by releasing this floor plan online.

Some of the criticisms were hash but in defence of chief Abdul u threw a few punches below the belt of another Nairalander doing a good Job.

These builders work for clients and will need their permission to release floor plans. I for one will not grant such for security reasons.

3 Likes

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 2:25pm On Jul 02, 2015
sule4:

Everyone needs to slow down on the criticisms. In the U.S! Seriously! My laundry is right after my kitchen. I'll show you many 6 and 7 bedroom homes, with two living rooms with that same pattern. The Plan in my opinion, needs the living room closer to the kitchen and ventilation system in the masters bathroom. Since there's no steady electricity supply in Nigeria, that might mean a window.
This young man is open hearted; let's not try only see flaws in his work without appreciating his creativity. There's no such thing as impeccable/ perfect, except for fissions.

Okay if your kitchen is after your kitchen. Is your laundry in between your kitchen and dining room too? Some of you think making a constructive contribution is synonymous to criticism. No one here has criticized the young man.

Go ahead and post your 6, 7 bedroom home plans with laundry situated beside or inside the kitchen itself.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 2:27pm On Jul 02, 2015
PHfinest:

Some of the criticisms were hash but in defence of chief Abdul u threw a few punches below the belt of another Nairalander doing a good Job.

These builders work for clients and will need their permission to release floor plans. I for one will not grant such for security reasons.

Can you point out the so called "harsh criticism"? Making suggestions on a plan like this doesn't look like criticism to me.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by sule4: 2:39pm On Jul 02, 2015
FastShipping:

Okay if your kitchen is after your kitchen. Is your laundry in between your kitchen and dining room too? Some of you think making a constructive contribution is synonymous to criticism. No one here has criticized the young man.

Go ahead and post your 6, 7 bedroom home plans with laundry situated beside or inside the kitchen itself.
Please reread where I said the dining area should be closer to the living room.
Put up your own email address here, let me send you pictures. Abdul is doing a great job, just putting up with some of y'all. Believe it or not, he's an intelligent and patient man. I I'm Not.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by PHfinest(m): 2:53pm On Jul 02, 2015
FastShipping:

As a matter of fact, the whole plan is flawed. .

The above sounds harsh to some of us.
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by ojesymsym: 2:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
FastShipping:

Nice analysis, could you also be kind enough to critique this design, I offered up for some criticism recently and I got some very instructive ones, would not mind more of sure before actual construction.
https://www.nairaland.com/2413088/3-bedroom-drawing-open-criticism
Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 4:06pm On Jul 02, 2015
PHfinest:

The above sounds harsh to some of us.

There is nothing harsh there. Abdul did not make the plan. His architect did and to be sincere, the flaw in the plan is not limited to the location of kitchen and laundry room alone. No one is blaming him. Simple correction to many Nigerians is regarded as criticism. I don't know ho we can learn with this type of attitude.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Low Budget Bungalow ( 3 Bedroom Flat As Case Study) by FastShipping: 4:11pm On Jul 02, 2015
sule4:

Please reread where I said the dining area should be closer to the living room.
Put up your own email address here, let me send you pictures. Abdul is doing a great job, just putting up with some of y'all. Believe it or not, he's an intelligent and patient man. I I'm Not.

You must be joking, right? Put what email here? You were the one that claimed you have 6,7 bedroom in U.S home plans to post here showing laundry situated in the kitchen. So why should anyone need to post their email here before you can post the so called 6,7 bedroom home plans?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Banana Island In Lagos Is A Billionaire’s Paradise / Want To Know The Cost Of Roofing Sheets (long Span). / The Making Of The "7 Bedrooms High Ceiling Bungalow" In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.