Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:52 AM

Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 (19024 Views)

Implications Of Not Meeting The Deadline For Bvn Registration. / Important Info On Bvn Registration!!!! / When CBN Extends BVN Registration Date (photo) (2) (3) (4)

Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by zinachidi(m): 8:26am On Jul 01, 2015
LAGOS — The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN), yesterday extended the deadline for customers to enrol for the Bank Verification Number (BVN) by four months till October 31, 2015.

Director, Banking and Payments System Department, CBN, Mr. Dipo Fatokun, announced the extension in a circular to the public.

The circular stated: “You would recall that as part of its effort in the implementation of the Bank Verification Number (BVN) project, the Central Bank of Nigeria issued circulars stipulating milestones for the successful completion of the project. One of such milestones was that by June 30, all Deposit Money Banks (DMB) customers should have the BVN. Any bank customer without the BVN attached to the account would be deemed to have inadequate requirement with respect to the Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines.

“It has come to our notice that the BVN registration has elicited tremendous interest from the Nigerian banks’ customers who crowded the bank halls, in order to beat deadline. Furthermore, there is need to give Nigerian banks’ customers in diaspora, ample time to enrol on the programme. The guideline for their enrolment is being finalised and will be released soon.

“In view of the foregoing, it has become imperative for the bank to extend the timeline for all bank customers to have the BVN. The deadline for enrolment is hereby extended from June 30, 2015 to October 31, 2015. This extension is expected to facilitate a smooth completion of the registration exercise.”

The BVN was introduced by the CBN and was launched February 14 last year. It is the registration of customers in the financial system using biometric technology. The objective of the BVN initiative is to protect bank customers, reduce fraud and further strengthen the Nigerian banking system.

In order to beat the June 30 initial deadline banks customers had trooped to their branches to enrol for the BVN.
In LAGOS, when Vanguard visited some banks in Lagos, it was discovered that there were huge turnout of bank customers for the exercise.
At Coconut branch of Guaranty Trust Bank, for instance, many customers turned out for the exercise as indicated by the long queue at the branch.

One of the bank’s customers who had spent at least two hours on the queue, Friday Awhotu, said with the number of people yet to register, it was unlikely that all customers would be enrolled before the 30 June deadline, unless there is an extension.
At Ibafon branch of Access Bank which Vanguard also visited, there was however low turn out of customers for the exercise.

Meanwhile, at the Union Bank branch in the same area, there was another crowd of customers on a long queue waiting to be enrolled.
One of the customers on the queue, Mr. Idoko Napoleon, told Vanguard: “I hope this exercise does not end tomorrow, because most people might not be able to enrol. More so, what shall become the fate of those who have travelled out of the country?”

In ABUJA, a chaotic situation was recorded in premises of most banks in Abuja, yesterday, as hundreds of customers besieged their banks in a bid to beat the deadline for the BVN enrolment.

Also, customers that have more than one bank account were also seen with pieces of white papers where the banks where they had registered wrote their unique BVN numbers to take to other banks to key in.

In most banking halls including Zenith, UBA, Diamond, GTB, FirstBank, Union Bank, Ecobank in the Area 3, 7 and 8, Garki, Wuse and Kubwa, bank workers had difficulty controlling the crowd created by the BVN enrolment, as most customers expressed fears that they might not be able to access their monies after the expiration of the deadline, yesterday.

www.vanguardngr.com/2015/07/cbn-extends-bvn-registration-deadline-to-oct-31/

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Mancity26(m): 8:29am On Jul 01, 2015
I knw dat they wil extend the stuff just like Sim Reg, PVC.. Meanwhile all the bank will be happy bcs 14-16 million customers are yet 2 enroll even as am typing. I quickly withdraw my little money and hand it over 2 my Mama in the village 2 keep it safe. If i keep it here with me, I no trust Ekaite and Caro. I wil go and do my BVN around middle of october.. Good morning #funnynation. Hapi new month 2u all. My comedy...My world..
FTC under lala post...we knw what 2 expect

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Upnepaa(m): 8:32am On Jul 01, 2015
I will get mine on october 31 cool

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by alphaStoner(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
I've done my BVN already and I knew the date would be shifted

Away from this thread,
[size=20pt] 3rd [/size] to comment
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Gepheral: 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
They are waiting for me
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Aspireahead(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
One thing is certain, some people won't still do theirs until the last day.

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Wealthyone: 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
NIGERIANS lOVE DEADLINES....An access bank branch beside my office was crowded in and out yesterday but today has been a good day for them as no single person was seen at the door. I'm sure not all of them were attended to, they just refuse to show up again till Oct31 grin grin grin

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by lonelydora: 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
Ok guys, No cause for alarm. You can now go home and relax until October 27th.

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by deebsman1(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015
Good 1 from the apex bank
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by fatdon2(m): 10:23am On Jul 01, 2015

Why is it dat until a program closes
dat is wen we run abt 2 do things
dat
ought 2 av been done couple of
months back.I don't c need 4 d
extension.Mark dis day u will c dat
more pple will nt do it until d last day again.

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by jamex93(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
the good news is dat it has bin extended so no issue

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by buoye1(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
Na naija we dey
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Chukwuemeka007(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
As expected

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by yorke1: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
okay
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Built2last: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
We just like suffering citizens in this country. what is wrong with CBN creating a platform that you can log in with your account number, answer some basic security questions and fill the BVN form. after which you walk into the bank and do finger capturing but HELL NO. the masses must suffer, thats the evidence that they are working....

once the form is filled online and finger print captured. CBN should be able to synchronise the entire data and save people the stress of going from bank to bank distributing BVN numbers to synchronise with other accounts.

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by phrezzz: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
K
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Emioga: 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by VickyRotex(f): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
Some Nigerians will still not enroll for BVN until October 31st. Even if they extend it to next year, some will still wait till the final day to enroll.

Like sey dem dey follow them. SMH undecided
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Aare2050(m): 10:24am On Jul 01, 2015
dem try, will do mine oct 29th
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by preciouswize(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2015
Is nt ah new tin nau! We all knw dhat 9ja cnt stand by their words nau
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Nobody: 10:25am On Jul 01, 2015
I don do my own tey tey grin grin

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by TheMaleBoss(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2015
Haha, I knew it.
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by NetBizguy: 10:25am On Jul 01, 2015
BVN wey de go continue doing till December, dey for no extendam na
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by barry40: 10:26am On Jul 01, 2015
I knew it would be extended except the CBN wanted to inflict unnecessary hardship on people. There was not enough awareness from the beginning it was introduced. It was lately that people begin to know about it. Imagine Nigerian population. You could see crowd yesterday in all banks across the cities.
Extension is reasonable and a welcome idea

Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Rajjah(f): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2015
Some pple will stil wait till d last minute. Smh 4 una
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by An2elect2(f): 10:26am On Jul 01, 2015
Great...we all knew they would.
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 01, 2015
Rajjah:
Some pple will stil wait till d last minute. Smh 4 una
Ain't you one of them? undecided
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by vikoski: 10:27am On Jul 01, 2015
Most Nigerians will still register on d 31st October, Na today
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by ITbomb(m): 10:27am On Jul 01, 2015
The plan to extend was already in place, they just wanted to punish some people for waiting till dying minutes
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by Nobody: 10:28am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by omanifrank(m): 10:28am On Jul 01, 2015
Re: Why CBN Extended BVN Registration Deadline To Oct 31 by dridowu: 10:29am On Jul 01, 2015
From June 30 to October 31 then till January 31 2016 , finally till you have the time meaning you have to do it before any transaction is made or before you open an account.

Otudeko Vs. Otedola: First Bank Shareholders Lose ₦‎80.76bn, Shares Crumble / Dangote Inaugurates Mega Cement Warehouse In Owerri / MTN Makes $6.7bn In Six Months With A 21.5% Rise In Nig, 7% Loss In South Africa