Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates (102420 Views)

Latest Ranking Of States By Financial Sustainability, Debt And IGR (PICS) / Ranking Of States By Poverty Rates In Nigeria / Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Jetjacky(m): 5:25pm On Jul 01, 2015
hefty4real:
Yobe and Zamfara try no be small. shocked
I suggest they start Exporting Kunu spiked with W**d to S/W, S/E and S/S for improvement cool cool cool lipsrsealed tongue
its not just money man, I think is more education than the former.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Abagworo(m): 5:26pm On Jul 01, 2015
SIRTee15:
well, this report basically corroborate similar poverty index reports from world bank and national bureau of statistics.
SW has the lowest poverty rate while NW has the highest, although facts and figures vary.
The various methodologies used in carrying out this reports are always controversial.
white people view poverty from a different angle, they define poverty as a person living on less than two dollars per day and lay emphasis on access to clean water, basic sanitation, quality education and healthcare, infant mortality rate, maternal mortality rate, life expectancy etc
Nigerians view poverty differently and believes poverty eradication has more to do with acquisition of material wealth such as mansions, luxurious cars, private jets; viability of commercial activities; presence of big supermarkets, shopping malls; individuals' purchasing power etc.
This will naturally cause a disagreement among us anytime this reports are released.
However, methodologies follow basic scientific principles which includes universality, reproducibility, testable and tentative.
If your poverty methodology is acceptable in Nigeria but rejected in Japan, then its not scientific and cannot be used to assess poverty.
Until we are a able to produce a universally acceptable methodology on poverty rate, we will continue to abide with theirs'.

Many commentors have little knowledge of these parameters.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by yomexp(m): 5:29pm On Jul 01, 2015
superstar1:

This is a United Nation's report and not under the mango tree make-me-happy, tales by moonlight fallacies you always tell yourselves.

definitely not one of those ABA MADE STATISTICS

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 5:29pm On Jul 01, 2015
belzabull:
Following your logic, you have simply re-emphasized that Igbo businesses in the SW is the mainstay of the (especially) lagos economy, because the economic value of those businesses constitute a major reason why the SW is 'rich'. wink

Your interpretation, dear. Lagos' economy was doing well before the immigration of Igbos. And Lagos is not the only Yoruba state they are located. Igbos need the SW to survive economically in Nigeria. Else their business would be abundant in the SE.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Mcowubaba: 5:36pm On Jul 01, 2015
belzabull:
Unnecessary thrash- talk! Quit the lame argument and stop the hate. I'm from anioma but give respect to whom it is due.

People like you are the problems we have...smh
Madame, i won't respond to ur insults, but let me clarify myself-the point i m making is that most Anambra people hia make 'unnecessary' noise about dia State...
Nw, look @ a some1 disputing a report conducted by United Nation I believe in truth, diginity nd facts above tribalism nd partisanship!!!...believe me Ma, i m the LAST person u need to advise about hate, lame argument, tribalism or bigotry!!
M signature is my personality!!!
Remain blessed!!!
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 5:41pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Your interpretation, dear. Lagos' economy was doing well before the immigration of Igbos. And Lagos is not the only Yoruba state they are located. Igbos need the SW to survive economically in Nigeria. Else their business would be abundant in the SE.
When did the Igbos immigrate to Lagos if I may ask? Igbos have been in Lagos since the dawn of the 20th century. There would have been even more Igbo owned businesses if not for the civil war and the ridiculous 20 pound policy in its aftermath, followed by the rapid indigenization, which 20 pound igbos could not take advantage of
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by PasNina(m): 5:42pm On Jul 01, 2015
ANAMBRA!!! .... Obodo oma #ndi_oma ndi_oma

2 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2015
Oseite:

When did the Igbos immigrate to Lagos if I may ask? Igbos have been in Lagos since the dawn of the 20th century. There would have been even more Igbo owned businesses if not for the civil war and the ridiculous 20 pound policy in its aftermath, followed by the rapid indigenization, which 20 pound igbos could not take advantage of

Source? Lagos economy was booming way back before the 20th century, mind ya.

Before I go in-depth. You guys are known to pull"facts" out of that hole.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by sanmibukunmi: 5:44pm On Jul 01, 2015
Can't the south just unite and separate from the North The southern part of Nigeria should be the economic heart of Africa but rivalry between Two major tribes won't allow dt.....hmmmmmm oga O‎​º°˚˚˚°º
The ppl dt once loved themselves have now started hating themselves forgetting that they have one enemy D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ need to defeat up North....may God help us O‎​º°˚˚˚°º
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Rotimi47: 5:45pm On Jul 01, 2015
angry
scholes0:
[size=13pt]United Nations' Multi Dimensional Poverty Index[/size]

The United Nations' Global Multi-Dimensional Poverty Index has three dimensions and 10 indicators in estimating Overall Poverty. Each dimension is equally weighted, each indicator within a dimension is also equally weighted, and added. It uses 10 indicators to measure poverty in three dimensions: Education, Health and Living standards. This report was Published in June 2015, and is based on data collected on years between 2004 and 2014.
According to the MPI Report, as at 2010, 46% of Nigerians lived below the national poverty line (Only 28% in Urban areas, and near 70% in The rural). Although a Report by the World bank, released in 2014, showed that only 33% of Nigerians could be considered Poor.

Now, to the Report........
States by Incidence of Poverty

[size=15pt] STATES<-->POVERTY RATE
1. Lagos --------- 8.5%
2. Osun --------- 10.9%
3. Anambra --------- 11.2%
4. Ekiti --------- 12.9%
5. Edo --------- 19.2%
6. Imo --------- 19.8%
7. Abia --------- 21.0%
8. Rivers --------- 21.1%
*. FCT (Abj) --------- 23.5%
9. Kwara --------- 23.7%
10. Akwa Ibom --------- 23.8%
11. Delta --------- 25.1%
12. Ogun --------- 26.1%
13. Kogi --------- 26.4%
14. Ondo --------- 27.9%
15. Enugu --------- 28.8%
16. Bayelsa --------- 29.0%
17. Oyo --------- 29.4%
18. Cross River --------- 33.1%
-------------------------------------------------------
** National Avg --------- 46.0%
-------------------------------------------------------
19. Plateau --------- 51.6%
20. Nassarawa --------- 52.4%
21. Ebonyi --------- 56.0%
22. Kaduna --------- 56.5%
23. Adamawa --------- 59.0%
24. Benue --------- 59.2%
25. Niger --------- 61.2%
26. Borno --------- 70.1%
27. Kano --------- 76.4%
28. Gombe --------- 76.9%
29. Taraba --------- 77.7%
30. Katsina --------- 82.2%
31. Sokoto --------- 85.3%
32. Kebbi --------- 86.0%
33. Bauchi --------- 86.6%
34. Jigawa --------- 88.4%
35. Yobe --------- 90.2%
36. Zamfara --------- 91.9%[/size]

REGIONAL AVERAGES
1 = South West - 19.3% Poverty (+ Average)
2 = South South - 25.2% Poverty (+ Average)
3 = South East - 27.36% Poverty (+ Average)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
** National Avg 46.0%% Poverty
----------------------------------------------------------------------

4 = North Central - 45.7% Poverty (+Average)
5 = North East - 76.8% Poverty (- Average)
6 = North West- 80.9% Poverty (- Average) Damn!! shocked

Sources
The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index by the U.N
http://www.dataforall.org/dashboard/ophi/index.php/
Click on Nigeria, and then "Nigeria country briefing, from the dropdown menu".
http://www.ophi.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Multidimensional-Poverty-Index-2015-2-March-2015.pdf?0a8fd7&13666f

See some some people life? All the our people are the ones building Lagos, hating on Yoruba's, na our oyel etc. Let statistics do the talking. grin
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by nightmile: 5:46pm On Jul 01, 2015
scholes0:

Being Urban is great, but there is also Urban Poverty.
And also, do you know someone in a village/small town or even country side can have a higher living standard than someone living in the City/Big town?... That is why I am not surprised to see places like Ekiti ranking high.

Have visited and stayed for atleast a week in all the states in Nigeria except sokoto, PH, Bayelsa and Adamawa . And I can confirm to you all that standard of living in terms of food is fair in the southwest states, Benue , Taraba, Eboyin , Niger and Enugu. I actually did my NYSC in Osun st. It is known to all that have been there that food is not a problem almost all household have a farm land.

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by pazienza(m): 5:48pm On Jul 01, 2015
Was this research done by UN or by Oxford university? The source of this thread seem to have deliberately been tampered by usual suspects.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 5:49pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Source? Lagos economy was booming way back before the 20th century, mind ya.

Before I go in-depth. You guys are known to pull"facts" out of that hole.

I am not saying that it was not booming. What I am saying is that like it or not, Igbo businesses have been a major contributor to the growth of Lagos. BTW, I am not Igbo, before you get any ideas
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 5:50pm On Jul 01, 2015
sanmibukunmi:
Can't the south just unite and separate from the North The southern part of Nigeria should be the economic heart of Africa but rivalry between Two major tribes won't allow dt.....hmmmmmm oga O‎​º°˚˚˚°º
The ppl dt once loved themselves have now started hating themselves forgetting that they have one enemy D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ need to defeat up North....may God help us O‎​º°˚˚˚°º
Don't forget that majority of the locally produced food we eat comes from the north
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by belzabull(f): 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Just as innoson is redundant abi?

Never knew one can be a migrant by moving within his country

borrow some sense naa wink

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by tammie24: 5:52pm On Jul 01, 2015
kennosklint:
Edo state shuld b on no.1 position.
For poverty ba?
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 5:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
belzabull:
Just as innoson is redundant abi?

borrow some sense naa wink

Name another. Apart from politics, how has it branched outside of the SE?
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by sanmibukunmi: 5:53pm On Jul 01, 2015
Oseite:

Don't forget that majority of the locally produced food we eat comes from the north
We have got better education...we can do way better than D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are doing if we research and work 2geda.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 5:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
Oseite:

I am not saying that it was not booming. What I am saying is that like it or not, Igbo businesses have been a major contributor to the growth of Lagos. BTW, I am not Igbo, before you get any ideas

Of course it has, but are Igbos the only business owners in Lagos? No Yoruba business owners?

I am Yoruba. Your point?

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by asoebi(m): 5:55pm On Jul 01, 2015
dokyOloye:
I was in Niger state for 2 weeks recently and I was shocked by what I saw.
Very well educated and mannered ppl wt better standard of living.
I am talking of ppl living in d villages,but U can't say that for D whole of Kano state.

Where in Niger State did you visit? cos aside some areas in the state capital(Minna), majority of the rests are uneducated. I even visited a village about 20 minutes away from the village and lots of peeps I met on the way can neither speak nor understand English even the so called students in their uniforms.

Though I'll agree with you they are well mannered.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 5:57pm On Jul 01, 2015
Ogun state is up and coming, and in the next10 years it will be another mini Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by dokyOloye: 6:00pm On Jul 01, 2015
I
asoebi:

Where in Niger State did you visit? cos aside some areas in the state capital(Minna), majority of the rests are uneducated. I even visited a village about 20 minutes away from the village and lots of peeps I met on the way can neither speak nor understand English even the so called students in their uniforms.

Though I'll agree with you they are well mannered.
Bida,Kutigi,Batati,Enagi,Lapai and lots of other towns in d Niger west senatorial district.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 6:01pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Of course it has, but are Igbos the only business owners in Lagos? No Yoruba business owners?

I am Yoruba. Your point?

My point is that while Lagos would still be economically viable if Igbos weren't here, it would not be the commercial nerve it is today. In fact, if not that in the 60s, Igbos were persecuted in the north, Kano would be very close to Lagos in terms of business development

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jul 01, 2015
I wonder where exactly this bigot got his/her statistics. These are the real stats. Please informed people should do their calculation. SW is actually third based on mere scanning over it.

I think Aregbe inability to pay teachers is having gross effect on the populace analytical skills.

REGIONAL AVERAGES FROM LOWEST
1 = South South
2 = South East
3 = South West

Sources
The Global Multidimensional Poverty Index by the U.N
http://www.dataforall.org/dashboard/ophi/index.php/
Click on Nigeria, and then "Nigeria country briefing, from the dropdown menu".

3 Likes

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 6:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
sanmibukunmi:

We have got better education...we can do way better than D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ are doing if we research and work 2geda.
Maybe, but they have the land, some of the food we consume can only be grown commercially in the savannah, not the rainforest or the swamps
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 6:03pm On Jul 01, 2015
Oseite:

My point is that while Lagos would still be economically viable if Igbos weren't here, it would not be the commercial nerve it is today. In fact, if not that in the 60s, Igbos were persecuted in the north, Kano would be very close to Lagos in terms of business development

Igbos business, some, are in other parts of Nigeria. Yet Lagos is still what it is. Stop allocating its success to 4X4 shops. Lagos would still be what it is today with or without Igbos. But Igbos would need the SW to be economically viable.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by belzabull(f): 6:04pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Name another. Apart from politics, how has it branched outside of the SE?
Nnewi auto spate parts, brewery etal

what politics about it?
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by scholes0(m): 6:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
pazienza:
Was this research done by UN or by Oxford university? The source of this thread seem to have deliberately been tampered by usual suspects.

Why didnt you try using readily available google?

Read up, homie..... I know your woes are piling up..
http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/multidimensional-poverty-index-mpi

The Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) was developed in 2010 by Oxford Poverty & Human Development Initiative and The United Nations Development Programme and uses different factors to determine poverty beyond income-based lists. It replaced the previous Human Poverty Index. The global MPI is released annually by OPHI and the results published on its website.

The global Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) is an international measure of acute poverty covering over 100 developing countries. It complements traditional income-based poverty measures by capturing the severe deprivations that each person faces at the same time with respect to education, health and living standards. The MPI assesses poverty at the individual level. If someone is deprived in a third or more of ten (weighted) indicators, the global index identifies them as ‘MPI poor’, and the extent – or intensity – of their poverty is measured by the number of deprivations they are experiencing. The MPI can be used to create a comprehensive picture of people living in poverty, and permits comparisons both across countries, regions and the world and within countries by ethnic group, urban/rural location, as well as other key household and community characteristics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multidimensional_Poverty_Index
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by IlekeHD: 6:08pm On Jul 01, 2015
belzabull:
Nnewi auto spate parts, brewery etal

what politics about it?

We've never heard of them. Expect them to move to the SW to make money.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by after1: 6:10pm On Jul 01, 2015
[s]
BuddahMonk:

I have never quote you in my life, I don't even know that you exist but you always hover every thread looking for me.

If you insult me here again I will remove you from my twitter followers,
[/s]

Twitter? Lies and too much drugs have now turn you to something else. Rest in pieces bro.
Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by Oseite: 6:12pm On Jul 01, 2015
IlekeHD:

Igbos business, some, are in other parts of Nigeria. Yet Lagos is still what it is. Stop allocating its success to 4X4 shops. Lagos would still be what it is today with or without Igbos. But Igbos would need the SW to be economically viable.
Do you honestly think Igbo businesses are limited to 4x4 shops? I'm sure you're joking. I can say for instance that Nollywood, which is a major contributor to Nigeria's rebased GDP, is more or less run by Igbos, and domiciled in Alaba.

1 Like

Re: Ranking Of Nigerian States By Poverty Rates by scholes0(m): 6:12pm On Jul 01, 2015
donedy:
I wonder where exactly this bigot got his/her statistics. These are the real stats. Please informed people should do their calculation. SW is actually third based on mere scanning over it.

Note: H is Incidence of Poverty. (what this thread is ranking)
So, do your averages and tell us what you come up with.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (16) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu Eating With Femi Fani-Kayode And His Family In Abuja (Photo) / APC Matters In Pictures / Kano: 'they Tried To Whisk Away Results To Govt House, We Did This" - (pix, Vide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.