Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas (36627 Views)

Before And After Photos Of Broad Street, Lagos / Why You Shouldn't Give A Roadside Engineer Your Phone / NFC (Near Field Connection) Tags (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by AreaFada2: 6:34am On Jul 03, 2015
Lilyomi:
Smh . Is it wrong to b a black?
. No dear. Their ignorance is their problem, not ours or yours. Live your life happily and don't condone nonsense from them.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by YSA06(m): 6:35am On Jul 03, 2015
Pls ask the Google and bastards called whites if they recognise morals, senses, well cultured, dignity etc, tell the whites that those are ascribed to all black of the world and not for the demons called white creating problems to d world, legalising gay, lesbianism among other vices.

2 Likes

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 03, 2015
Black people are gorrilas. Look at the zoo called Nigeria and you see it everywhere.

Nigerian Muslims told to kill their fellow blacks because of religion, stupid people give a tenth of their earnings to so called men of God. The government steals money meant for millions of people. People cannot reason on their own, the rely on the religion, culture, news of the white people.

Same in other parts of Africa

Look at the blacks in USA - stupid, lazy and dumb.

Google is spot on - Blacks are gorillas.

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Karleb(m): 6:37am On Jul 03, 2015
SMH! sad
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 6:40am On Jul 03, 2015
YSA06:
Pls ask the Google and bastards called whites if they recognise morals, senses, well cultured, dignity etc, tell the whites that those are ascribed to all black of the world and not for the demons called white creating problems to d world, legalising gay, lesbianism among other vices.

And who is killing in the north? Blacks. Who are burning churches? blacks. Who are deceiving people in the name of religion? blacks. Just look at the way blacks behave. Have you travelled out of Nigeria? Compare the way people conduct themselves. How orderly they are while waiting for their turns. Blacks behave like animals...

Until you guys change, you will forever be seen as animals

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ugoezeik(m): 6:41am On Jul 03, 2015
kazzonline:

If you had any bit of dignity,am sure you would feel bad if someone calls you a gorrila,not to talk of a uselezs photo app,if it was wahala as u called it,google engineers wudnt hav apologised
my frnd gerout! wat did he say dat is wrong nw. simple: black na their wahala. don't u know wat hr mean? na do una go jux dey read meaning into somebori massage
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by nnasino(m): 6:41am On Jul 03, 2015
Whatever, I'm not a gorilla. I don't think it's on purpose Sha.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by JaneKenedy: 6:42am On Jul 03, 2015
Oseite:

Why should I care if someone calls me a gorilla, when I know I am not. As far as I am concerned only someone who is disabled, deaf, dumb, blind, et al should be upset if he or she is in anyway insulted, because they had their way they would be able. If someone insults me because of my skin tone, as far I as I am concerned he or she is just being silly, and I won't feel bad. The only reason to feel bad is IF I WISHED I WAS WHITE, which I don't. If the tin pain you too much insult the guy back, pure and simple

They were labelled gorillas not even by fellow human but by a software not mere words.....i think its a very big deal.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 6:48am On Jul 03, 2015
nnasino:
Whatever, I'm not a gorilla. I don't think it's on purpose Sha.

If you are not a gorilla then act like a human.

Do you observe queues? Are you orderly? Do you clean up after yourself instead of littering the streets? Are you your brother's keeper? Do you respect other people's beliefs? The list goes on............If you are a human, you are a human, if you are a gorilla, google is right.

2 Likes

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ndigbo: 6:50am On Jul 03, 2015
timilehing:
Black na their wahala
I am just sorry for you!
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by saintalive(m): 6:59am On Jul 03, 2015
For me I would not ask God why, because he has a purpose for making me what I am
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by nnasino(m): 7:11am On Jul 03, 2015
4Horsemen:

If you are not a gorilla then act like a human.

Do you observe queues? Are you orderly? Do you clean up after yourself instead of littering the streets? Are you your brother's keeper? Do you respect other people's beliefs? The list goes on............If you are a human, you are a human, if you are a gorilla, google is right.
What exactly are you saying? So whites behave better? Black or white, we are all humans. If black people are given equal opportunities the same with the whites, we will excel. Nigerians are doing well all over the world. Even Google has black engineers.
Now, if it were whites who this app labeled gorillas in sure there wouldn't be any of this kind of thing. But some blacks with low self esteem are bothered when a white man speaks, farts and makes a buggy app. Stop self loathing and love who you are. I'm sure you do the things that you listed in your post and many other blacks also do so therefore you and blacks are not gorillas and shouldn't be bothered about a buggy application. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by franklingud(m): 7:13am On Jul 03, 2015
I've got a piece of information for the world to hear, especially all those RACIST WHITES AFRICA SHALL RISE TO RULE THE WORLD, ONE DAY... JUST ONE DAY it shall happen and it shall continue forever.

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by dazpa(m): 7:17am On Jul 03, 2015
I think the App is right.They look like Gorillas.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by kasual(m): 7:18am On Jul 03, 2015
[quote author=Amaechi5 post=35387984]Google came under fire this week after its new Photos app categorized photos in one of the most racist ways possible. On June 28th, computer programmer Jacky Alciné found that the feature kept tagging pictures of him and his girlfriend as "gorillas." He tweeted at Google asking what kind of sample images the company had used that would allow such a terrible mistake to happen.

Google came under fire this week after its new Photos app categorized photos in one of the most racist ways possible. On June 28th, computer programmer Jacky Alciné found that the feature kept tagging pictures of him and his girlfriend as "gorillas." He tweeted at Google asking what kind of sample images the company had used that would allow such a terrible mistake to happen.

Google’s chief social architect Yonatan Zunger responded quickly, apologizing for the feature.
As part of the new Photos app, users’ photos can be tagged and arranged automatically based on objects in the photos. For instance, pictures of skyscrapers are all arranged in an album appropriately labeled "skyscrapers." The tag feature learns as it receives more data, refining its method for recognizing and categorizing objects. The feature is flawed, but categorization isn’t the only step in photography that companies have had trouble with.

For years, Kodak used a coating on its film that favored Caucasian skin tones, making it more difficult to shoot darker skin. Nikon and other consumer camera companies have also had a history of showing bias to white faces with their facial recognition software. Zunger says that Google has had similar issues with facial recognition due to inadequate analysis of skin tones and lighting. "We used to have a problem with people (of all races) being tagged as dogs," Zunger says.

Google attempted to fix the algorithm, but ultimately removed the gorilla label altogether. Zunger noted that the company is working on longer-term fixes that revolve around which labels could be problematic and better recognition of dark-skinned faces.

Africans should fight back with innovative technology: be it software, applications or social gadgets. The moment we put ourselves under their banner by relegating our status. #we are not second to any skin colour, but equals#
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ChukwuCantDie: 7:21am On Jul 03, 2015
One day i am going to kill many white people i am going to chop their heads off and bathe in the blood

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 7:23am On Jul 03, 2015
leuelliot:
Racist people now Racist Software..

Check out google's status. U wil notice dat fewer blacks work for dem.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by HyDef(m): 7:27am On Jul 03, 2015
Done of you people think Google intentionally coded it to tag black people as gorillas? Wow. It's obviously an issue with the algorithm they used to code gorillas, probably based in the skin tone causing issues. Seriously, I don't think a corporation like Google would take such a stab just to be intentionally racist.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 03, 2015
What more can I say.. They want to keep damaging blacks but blacks too don't even know what they are and they don't want to know. Any black man still sleeping and believing a sky daddy is there to help u shame to u big time. Blacks are Gods

Check my threads black people. U really need to wake up cos these whites know what we are but using religion to blindfold us all.
I weep for my race

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Monalisa185(f): 7:28am On Jul 03, 2015
tot it actually changed their faces... #charge the engr
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by DandyWalker(m): 7:30am On Jul 03, 2015
gidjah:
we've got some handful of gorillas who are more brilliant , Godly and well cultured with good manners Than the so called white supremacists , I am one of such.well cultured ,mannered and with good sense of morals than the average mr white skin.So I do not csre what sny one terms me. I care more about what God my Creator says about me
lol. That, to me, sounds like an inferiority complex-induced statement. It is well dear.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Monalisa185(f): 7:31am On Jul 03, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:
One day i am going to kill many white people i am going to chop their heads off and bathe in the blood

lol...if you get mind na
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ifeoluwasegun(m): 7:35am On Jul 03, 2015
Google dey do his own...Racism, Nairaland users go soon start... Tribalism.

Weird world!

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 03, 2015
My gretat Black people. The caucasians are abusing us. But they, caucasians-white people are the REAL MONKEYS. About 40% of Caucasians are born with TAILS. And they have RHESUS MONKEY D.N.A in their blood. They are created with Animal blood by Demons. It is TRUE FACT. IT IS REAL. search it on http://www.google.com for more Information

1 Like

Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by Skmoda360(m): 7:37am On Jul 03, 2015
Lilyomi:
Smh . Is it wrong to b a black?
google is your best friend
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by dazpa(m): 7:39am On Jul 03, 2015
ChukwuCantDie:
Typical Gorilla.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by feelinboyya(m): 7:41am On Jul 03, 2015
Good morning Nairalanders ...I've registered for the MTN Project Fame 2015 online with my pin and I've also downloaded the form to fill manually but I haven't received any text about the exact date I'm suppose to show up for the audition cos it starts tomorrow. I want to know maybe I will just have to show up for the audition anytime between 3rd and 4th of this month...and moreover I want to know maybe I'm still eligible for the audition cos I don't have the national I.D card nor intl passport...pls hope to hear back from you soonest...thanks.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by vague: 7:42am On Jul 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
Blame the girl lipsrsealed
i blame your mother for that nose lipsrsealed
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ChuckD2(m): 7:47am On Jul 03, 2015
it was intentional. They knew exactly what they did.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by IAmTobore(m): 7:49am On Jul 03, 2015
No probs. This is not the first time you are doing it. We are already used to it.
Re: Google Engineer Apologizes After Photos App Tags Two Black People As Gorillas by ibrokola(m): 7:50am On Jul 03, 2015
When we say our ladies should stop pouting before taking pix, they won't hear. Now her lips are making the software mistake she and her boyfriend for Apes.
[i][/i]sarcasm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Long You Have To Work To Afford An Iphone X In Lagos & Rest Of The World / Whatsapp Is Down / Religious Headgear: MTN Makes Registration Changes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.