Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,281 members, 7,780,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:24 PM

Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply (2458 Views)

Rights Group Plans Protest Over Poor Power Supply - PUNCH / Jonathan Visits Late Yar’Adua’s Family & Emir Of Katsina During Rally (Photos) / PDP To Summon Minister Over Poor State Of Federal Roads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by freelance(m): 4:22am On Mar 04, 2009
President Umaru Yar’Adua has sacked the Executive Vice-Chairman/Managing Director of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Mr. Bello Suleiman.

I hope Electricity improves in Nigeria. After all the billions angry

Is there any hope for Electricity in Nigeria?

http://punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20090303395781
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by bawomolo(m): 5:07am On Mar 04, 2009
did he ever declare a state of emergency or was that typical naija gra gra?
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by davidif: 8:48am On Mar 04, 2009
omo, yar'adua has a serious competency problem.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Nobody: 9:12am On Mar 04, 2009
yar'slow grin grin

hopes he come up with something better this time around.

cus' he good at putting round peg in square hole sad
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by emilyone(f): 9:24am On Mar 04, 2009
camelot:

yar'slow grin grin

hopes he come up with something better this time around.

cus' he good at putting round peg in square hole sad

YOU ARE DAMN RIGHT
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Lagosboy: 9:33am On Mar 04, 2009
he probably would put his wife as the new head yeye man baba go slow
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 04, 2009
during his campaign for the presidency i thought he said something like making Power supply the top issue on his agenda.
this is guy is yet to do anything. sacking and re-hiring officials will change nothing untill he puts his feet on the ground.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by JustGood(m): 10:54am On Mar 04, 2009
Someone needs to sack the president for running an inept government
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Kobojunkie: 11:06am On Mar 04, 2009
We have spent way over 100 billion Naira in the past almost 2 years on electricity (add to that money spent by the yar adua government on generators, maintenance costs and fuel for the many generators) but instead lost some 1000MW in power in that time. What guarantee is there the new man will not sit back, spend more of our billions and let another 1000MW go the same way most things seem to in Nigeria?
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by MaiSuya(m): 11:16am On Mar 04, 2009
bawomolo:

did he ever declare a state of emergency or was that typical naija gra gra?

What exactly does declaring a state of emergency on the power sector mean?

Does it entail sacking all the workers at PHCN and replacing them with soldiers?
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by desgiezd(m): 11:33am On Mar 04, 2009
Suleiman was appointed by President Umaru Yar‘Adua as the PHCN managing director on July 22, 2008.

Before his appointment, he had previously been within the power sector, rising to the position of an Executive Director of the then National Electric Power Authority.

This was before he was made the Minister in Charge of Mines, Power and Steel Development in 1998 by a former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar.

He returned to NEPA as managing director in 2001 under the Olusegun Obasanjo administration.

One would see from the above quotation that this Bello Suleiman guy has been in and out of the electricity circles over a period of time. From Gen. Abubakar through OBJ to Yar Adua, they kept on appointing him to either the position of Minister of Power or MD of NEPA/PHCN as if the solution to the electricity problems of this nation lies with him. I remember vividly that when Bola Ige was in the saddle as Minister of Power, there was a story that an MD of NEPA then was a former minister who had even held that ministerial position before Ige and was therefore difficult for Ige to control. Stories even had it that he was sabotaging the efforts of Ige then. From the above dates, one would see that the story matches the Suleiman guy. I am not making excuses for Ige's none performance but what really has this guy to offer that he keeps rotating within the electricity circles. I just hope Yar Adua would not appoint him again in another twelve months time.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by desgiezd(m): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2009
Mai Suya:

What exactly does declaring a state of emergency on the power sector mean?

Does it entail sacking all the workers at PHCN and replacing them with soldiers?

Whaoo!! ROTFLMFAO
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by MadMax1(f): 11:38am On Mar 04, 2009
Sack,hire,sack,shuffle ministers. He wants to appear to be doing something. You want foreign investment but won't give them a realistic operating environment. What does it take to generate enough power for a country sef?Poorer countries manage it. Why is it such a big deal here? If it's too much for you, License private companies to supply power,let consumers subscribe to whichever service company they want; the power equivalent of NITEL and gsm operators. You can tell they don't really want to get the useless,moribound,corrupt parastatal working, when they can funnel billions into private accounts under the pretext of 'funding the power sector', a phrase which means nothing at all.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by debosky(m): 11:42am On Mar 04, 2009
This is my major grouse with the Yar'adua government.

First of all, they REAPPOINTED this man to 'co-ordinate' the devolved 18 company structure for PHCN, now he is being removed because they intend to restore operational control to the 18 individual generating/transmission/distribution companies.

This flip-flopping simply must STOP.

Yar'adua should focus on restoring/adding Gas supply to the completed power plants and begin to reap the rewards of the billions spent by OBJ's regime to build new power stations. States have appropriated ~303bn as their funding for completing the NIPP project, let us hope the following comments get carried out.

A WHIFF of optimism for improved power supply in the country came yesterday from the Federal Government, which unfolded plans to repair Egbin power station in Lagos State.

Besides, the government has also pledged to make the Papalanto thermal power station in Ogun State operational soon.The Minister of Power, Mr. Lanre Babalola described the government moves as part of efforts to achieve stable power supply.

Babalola told the News Agency of Nigeria in Lagos, after a tour of the two power plants that government was concerned about the epileptic power situation in the country and that efforts were being made to ensure that the problem becomes a thing of the past.

He said that he decided to visit some power plants in the country to ascertain their individual problems with a view to proffering adequate solutions to them.
"Having visited the power stations in Egbin, Ikorodu, Lagos State and Papalanto in Ogun State, it is clear that gas is their major problem. "Government is going to try all that it can to ensure that the problems and constraints are addressed urgently to enhance the level of power generation in the country,'' the minister said.

[url=http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/business/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=040309&ptitle=Govt%20set%20to%20retool%20Egbin,%20Papalanto%20power%20stations]The Guardian[/url]
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by desgiezd(m): 11:47am On Mar 04, 2009
Mad_Max:

What does it take to generate enough power for a country sef?Poorer countries manage it. Why is it such a big deal here?

Mad_Max, its such a big deal here because of the sort of mentality our unmerited leaders apply in running this country. Look at this: OBJ built seven power plants at the twilight of his administration, all the seven plants were to be powered by gas yet there was no plan as to how gas would be transported to the power stations through pipelines. Now that some of the power plants are ready, government is now looking for ways of laying gas pipelines to the plants. How else can madness be displayed more than this?
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by jamace(m): 12:21pm On Mar 04, 2009
Yes. One down.
For things to be effective, it is my humble suggestion that any one sacked for ineffectiveness should be probed and if found guilty should be jailed.
Otherwise, some will steal their ministry dry and only wait to be removed, to go and enjoy their loot,
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Epiphany(m): 3:51pm On Mar 04, 2009
TYPICAL. Look for a scapegoat to blame for your inefficiency - sack the man in charge and make it look like he is the problem. Yar'Adua is just trying to PRETEND and make us (Nigerians) feel that he is doing something.

Permit me to say something though. i have always had the feeling that if you bring in 5 top British (or any other western country's) Energy consultants, give them 5 years to turn the Power/Energy sector around and most of all, GIVE THEM SOME FORM OF AUTONOMY, we will in no time, have our power supply all laid out and properly planned. I just have the feeling that our own people are tied down with so much politicking and too many people to please and answer to. We have had so many eminent people in the positions of Minister of Power and steel, MD of NEPA/PHCN etc and yet, nothing has happened.

I am not berating our own indigenous engineers and consultants. I just feel that we need people that do not have any allegiance to anyone and anything and are only in a position to do a particular job and once it is finished, leave. People who are not afraid to step on toes and re-organize an industry. Maybe if we allow the imperialists to show us the way, we can learn once again.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by mustafar1: 4:08pm On Mar 04, 2009
and the dancing, window dressing and smoke screening continues. where is my pop corn and chair? i need to be confy as this unfolds.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by MrCrackles(m): 4:15pm On Mar 04, 2009
Always quick to sack and quick to appoint!

Nigeria has a massive problems and Ya'r Adua is not worthy of leading a fight to solve those problems!

E don be!
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by PurestBoy(m): 4:20pm On Mar 04, 2009
MrCrackles:

Always quick to sack and quick to appoint!

Nigeria has a massive problem and Ya'r Adua is not worthy of leading a fight to solve those problems!

E don be!

True yarn
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by vwvw(m): 4:25pm On Mar 04, 2009
shocked so clarus can fire someone for non-performance. he's tempting God. i pray he doesn't get fired from ABOVE for sleep-walking and soliloquy grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by desgiezd(m): 4:29pm On Mar 04, 2009
vwvw:

shocked so clarus can fire someone for non-performance. he's tempting God. i pray he doesn't get fired from ABOVE for sleep-walking and soliloquy grin grin grin grin grin grin

Haba!!
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by vwvw(m): 4:39pm On Mar 04, 2009
Haba!!
, abi e no funny
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Marymos: 4:49pm On Mar 04, 2009
How come they left that man long there.He suppose to have been fire long ago.I don't know why people who have the privilege to make impact just misuse it.From the opinion of others,this man could be one of the major problem of PHCN.The major issue now is that who will Mr president appoint to replace this Suleiman?I hope he will act wisely this time around.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Becomrrich: 4:55pm On Mar 04, 2009
I can double the electricity use in houses by 2. the problem is , you people in nigeria, do not know how electricity works.

I use to work on network. if you have done field work before, you can resolve the nepa problem in nigeria.

If I tell you how to double the energy use in nigeria how much would you people give me. My knowledge is for money now. I need money too. it is easy.

National grid is a network. I would on network before, so I know how to do it. And you have to calculate the network. And you people no sabi.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by vwvw(m): 5:02pm On Mar 04, 2009
grin grin grin grin
If I tell you how to double the energy use in nigeria how much would you people give me. My knowledge is for money now. I need money too. it is easy.

National grid is a network. I would on network before, so I know how to do it. And you have to calculate the network. And you people no sabi.
otondo like u, you no sabi the way to national assembly. abi you think say power supply na baba ijebu angry angry angry
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Nobody: 5:29pm On Mar 04, 2009
It was confamed that Mr. 'Suleiman Thief' grin was actualy using some sort of JaZZ (UNseen POWers) to retain his positions in the amiable Power Sector. A source also disclosed dat his unseen powers became powerleSS as a result of his failure to Renew it effect. http://www.breinnewsframe.ca/N;D04/03/09-pressreport~~|`#thief_suleiman/him.html
Now Nigeria has a headway on the pOWERsector. PRAI prai praise thE LORD !! Hey, shout halleluyah on d condition dat ur president doesn't go blind b4 hand. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin ****pls keep em' goodnews coming****
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by kokoA(m): 6:06pm On Mar 04, 2009
I lost hope in musa's administration long ago. Its only in Nigeria that you find government reappointing well known 'failures' into positions. Am not suprised at all.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Fhemmmy: 6:13pm On Mar 04, 2009
He fires the guy and he will get another chicken head to replace him, what a way to recycle the fools and give other chances to steal their own out of the national wallet.
How can the electricity get better, when some of the family that are close to power are happy with the blackout, cos they are importing generator into the nation in millions and people are buying, so tell me how Nigeria will get out of darkness.
Anyhow, God will safe Nija
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by Becomrrich: 7:56pm On Mar 04, 2009
baba ijebu ko. I am an electrical engineer. and i can tell you how to save half of the electricity use in nigeria. and i can tell you i can calculate the network. And from the network. i would tell you what and what to use. and what the vote would be .

i do not need a test meter to know output of supply. it is done by calculation.

from the satellite pictures of nigeria. we can make estimate how much the output would be and from the input.

it is easy. pay me and i would show you people how to.

if you people know the solution , you would have done it,but una no know. so give me money and i would tell you how.

no more free thing.
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by vwvw(m): 8:20pm On Mar 04, 2009
wink wink
I am an electrical engineer. and i can tell you how to save half of the electricity use in nigeria.
. hmmm how do you save from what we dont have, we require at 40,000 megawatts for Lagos to run effectively. we don't even 10 percent of that amount so what the hell are u saving
Re: Yar’adua Sacks Phcn Md Over Poor Power Supply by blacksta(m): 8:49pm On Mar 04, 2009
Can somebody please explain the link between Generator sellers or importers and the Government not being able to fix this electricity issue.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Student Gets 19 Years' Jail For Love Scam / Leave Emeagwali Alone, Haters: Soyinka & Achebe Do Not Have PhD Degrees. / Man Jumps From The Moon...breaks Speed Of Light!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.