Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,769 members, 7,798,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? (34766 Views)

Is Marriage Really The Answer? / Early marriage advantages {for Women And Men} Must Read / What Can I Do To Let My Wife Wake Up Early? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 8:10am On Jul 06, 2015
manie:

His parents were not poor, they belonged to upper middle class in American, which is the top 5 percentile of the American family by net-worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Gates,_Sr.

Bill Gates father was equally a philanthropist. The maternal grandfather of Bill Gate was also the President of a Bank

Gates was born in Seattle, Washington in an upper middle class family. He is the son of William H. Gates, Sr. [b] and Mary Maxwell Gates. Gates' ancestral origin includes English, German, and Scots-Irish.
all u typed or copied from Google are just a waste. U failed to understand that simple English word, WEALTH. Upper middle-class and wealth. Analyse! wink
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by TV01(m): 9:26am On Jul 06, 2015
Ewuro4:

Aww same here , the allergy is going round the globe now , was telling my collegues how dusty my home country is yet we don't have sick kids like we do here.may God help our little ones esp.

Thanks for the reply, your points are clearly aligned with OP's reasons (early Birthing & women Fertility clock) which are though reasonable but not compulsory because everything is now achieveable with convenience & cash in hand. It all boils down to individual preference. My neighbour (east Indian) married in her
early twenties after college and started her Nursing Practice but surprisingly they mutually chose not to expand their family till date. They both seem very happy.

Honestly, I'll pick your last two points over the first 6 100times grin Raising family and struggling to make ends meet is no child's play especially when you have specific taste of lifestyle.

Have a great weekend . It's a beautiful warm & breezy day here.
It was lovely here. Real relaxing with lots of zeds and some hard gym sessions - my favourite type smiley. Hope yours was good. Please go easy on Jesús and his mates this morning, I know you mad at 'em grin

I see your point -and it's actually closer to my own experience - but considering it objectively. I still believe tieing the knot earlier just gives a couple more scope.

I think many societies are losing the strong "marriage cultures" that helped them flourish. We call it "early" as people tend to mature and take responsibility later these days, it wasn't like that in the past. People are also more self-seeking and the sacrifice of marriage and children isn't embraced like it was.

TV
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by TV01(m): 9:37am On Jul 06, 2015
manie:
Unfortunately all things are not equal for most people in Nigeria and there is a lot of uncertainty.

Which is why I said "ATBE".

I agree that financial stability is ideal, but circumstances can change and challenges come whatever the age of the couple or length of the union. Then it's the maturity & commitment of the couple that comes to the fore.

Considering things objectively - and ATBE - I consider younger marriage to have more advantages and confer the couple with more leeway. I haven't yet heard anything to make me think differently.

TV
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
hello Mr. Educator! Google never offers anyone a certificate of education. Brings us back again to another debatable topic, are the upper middle-class ppl really described as wealthy? Don't think u r too educated Mr. Educator. Your brain is full of Google and not substantial knowledge of profound fact. I said and will say it again, Mr Williams Gates sr. never left WEALTH for Bill Gates, but he (Bill) made wealth. Go back to google and do your research and date it back to Bill's history.
Having a degree doesn't make u a champ, defending it does.
Not everyone is as daft as you are. Google is a platform for cross-referencing or double-checking our views/ideas.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 4:23pm On Jul 06, 2015
adconline:

Not everyone is as daft as you are. Google is a platform for cross-referencing or double-checking our views/ideas.
tell that to the marine.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 4:26pm On Jul 06, 2015
adconline:

with my eyes closed I can operate ur brain and beat the world record. U r simply no match for me wink
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 4:49pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
with my eyes closed I can operate ur brain and beat the world record. U r simply no match for me wink
Willful ignorance or delusions of grandeur! U got exposed by telling lies about Bills Gates' upbringing and you are still trying so hard to justify it.
Let me tell u how things work- a kid born of wealthy parents like Bill Gates would've a head start in life; like going to a private school, access to private tutor, scoring very high in SAT, getting accepted into IVY unis and getting a job at Wall Street, top law and consulting firms.. So only willfully ignorant folks would admit that family background doesn't matter.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 4:59pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
hello Mr. Educator! Google never offers anyone a certificate of education. Brings us back again to another debatable topic, are the upper middle-class ppl really described as wealthy? Don't think u r too educated Mr. Educator. Your brain is full of Google and not substantial knowledge of profound fact. I said and will say it again, Mr Williams Gates sr. never left WEALTH for Bill Gates, but he (Bill) made wealth. Go back to google and do your research and date it back to Bill's history.
Having a degree doesn't make u a champ, defending it does.

An upper middle class that can comfortable afford to send his child to Harvard can be described s wealthy. Bill Gates parents were wealthy enough to send their children to private elementary and high schools. It takes a family with pedigree and real wealth to give his child, the type of good head start Bill received from his parents. Members of the upper middle class and above represents just 5% of the American family.
Even Bill Gate had to consolidate on his foundation, maybe that was why he got married at 39.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 5:08pm On Jul 06, 2015
adconline:

Willful ignorance or delusions of grandeur! U got exposed by telling lies about Bills Gates' upbringing and you are still trying so hard to justify it.
Let me tell u how things work- a kid born of wealthy parents like Bill Gates would've a head start in life; like going to a private school, access to private tutor, scoring very high in SAT, getting accepted into IVY unis and getting a job at Wall Street, top law and consulting firms.. So only willfully ignorant folks would admit that family background doesn't matter.
kid u just won't learn. Am trying so hard to bring this down to Ur level, but u seem so summed up in a low class degree. Fight or kill u just can't accentuate.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 5:14pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
in total support I corroborate your quote. But a slight thing u failed to notice is the difference between wealth and inheritance. I totally agree on leaving behind inheritance for kids, but let's no die to make it all. Life is no competition. [/b]Make what u can and enjoy life. I would want someone to define statistically how much a man must make in naira before he can marry. Bro, some ppl get married to become rich while some get even poorer after marriage. Life is a trance. [b]Nothing is ever sure, not even wealth. If money doesn't come to u, then marriage is never made for the rich or old alone. The law states 18 or 21 am not too sure about Nigeria's constitution

What do you call wealth passed on to your children?

You cannot die living a lasting legacy and wealth for your children, provided you plan your life, you are disciplined and you inculcate the right values and attitudes in our progeny.

Getting married at a very young age and no tangible asset of yours is no competition either.

Nothing is sure, but with planning and taking responsibilities for your actions and who you want to be, you can tilt the odd to your favour. Remember our destinies are not written for us, but by us. Barack Obama

The laws states 18 years, you can advice your 18 year old brother who is still in the University to get married and start procreating immediately.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 7:30pm On Jul 06, 2015
manie:

What do you call wealth passed on to your children?

You cannot die living a lasting legacy and wealth for your children, provided you plan your life, you are disciplined and you inculcate the right values and attitudes in our progeny.

Getting married at a very young age and no tangible asset of yours is no competition either.

Nothing is sure, but with planning and taking responsibilities for your actions and who want to be, you can tilt the odd to your favour. Remember our destinies are not written for us, but by us. Barack Obama

The laws states 18 years, you can advice your 18 year old brother who is still in the University to get married and start procreating immediately.

my brother was married at 19 and today he and his family r well-going. Many teenagers live with their girlfriends in school and it doesn't stop them from graduating. Tbh most comments here are solely on financial establishments, and that's why I say blame it on the government. I was hoping to c issues like maturity and sense of responsibility etc Cos, I c no reason why a 18 yr old lad won't get a job to sustain his family. I c no reason why a 23 yr old man can't pay school fees and that's if we have a functioning system. No enforced labor laws. Even the minimum wage (18k/mth) isn't feasible . If u say destiny(which I don't believe in) is written by us, why then do u have to leave wealth behind for kids and deprive Dem of their freedom to rewrite their own destiny? At my age, Am more interested about life. Let them marry. Instead of living a promiscuous bachelorhood, simply marry n be responsible. In some tribes (nomads) in Nigerian the males are giving their brides so early and they live happily ever after. The fact is your goals in life which differs from everyone else's. Having a good job and plenty money isn't fulfillment or a dream to some ppl. The fact that YOU FEEL ppl sud be married after financial success isn't genial. Let's Nigerian youths enjoy their lives with their women.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by adconline(m): 7:36pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
kid u just won't learn. Am trying so hard to bring this down to Ur level, but u seem so summed up in a low class degree. Fight or kill u just can't accentuate.
U don't need an expert to show u that Naija is a classical example of all that's wrong without planning b4 having kids... Most peeps fail in school, business, work etc.. Next thing on their mind, let me get married and see if I could turn my fortune around.
While others are passing on wealth-folks like u are passing on hope. As my teacher would say " the rich are getting richer while the poor are having more babies" strength is not in numbers but in strategic planning'
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:42pm On Jul 06, 2015
adconline:

U don't need an expert to show u that Naija is a classical example of all that's wrong without planning b4 having kids... Most peeps fail in school, business, work etc.. Next thing on their mind, let me get married and see if I could turn my fortune around.
While others are passing on wealth-folks like u are passing on hope. As my teacher would say " the rich are getting richer while the poor are having more babies" strength is not in numbers but in strategic planning'

A lot of Nigerians live in Hopeville, believing so much in miracles. No wonder Men of God who sell hope are making a lot of money from their parishioners,

I am a Christian, but I believe heaven helps those who help and plan for themselves.

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 7:51pm On Jul 06, 2015
jascon1:
my brother was married at 19 and today he and his family r well-going. Many teenagers live with their girlfriends in school and it doesn't stop them from graduating. Tbh most comments here are solely on financial establishments, and that's why I say blame it on the government. I was hoping to c issues like maturity and [b]sense of responsibility [/b]etc Cos, I c no reason why a 18 yr old lad won't get a job to sustain his family. I c no reason why a 23 yr old man can't pay school fees and that's if we have a functioning system. No enforced labor laws. Even the minimum wage (18k/mth) isn't feasible . If u say destiny(which I don't believe in) is written by us, why then do u have to leave wealth behind for kids and deprive Dem of their freedom to rewrite their own destiny? At my age, Am more interested about life. Let them marry. Instead of living a promiscuous bachelorhood, simply marry n be responsible. In some tribes (nomads) in Nigerian the males are giving their brides so early and they live happily ever after. The fact is your goals in life which differs from everyone else's. Having a good job and plenty money isn't fulfillment or a dream to some ppl. The fact that YOU FEEL ppl sud be married after financial success isn't genial. Let's Nigerian youths enjoy their lives with their women.

Where is the maturity for a married who is still living in the family house, because he cannot afford a house rent nor build his house.

Where is the sense of responsibility when you cannot afford the basic things for your children? Rather, lazy folks will pray for their children to be successful so as to elevate their parents out of poverty. Every responsible parent will have a deliberate plan on how their children will out grow them, rather than recycling poverty from generation to generation.

Study how the Jews, Indians and Lebanese who came to Lagos less than 100 years ago, grew from poverty and blue collars jobs to millionaires and billionaires in dollars and they have succeeded growing their wealth from generation to generation.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2015
A 19-year-old is not yet mentally capable to handle a family of his own. If your cousin does it and succeeds, then he's just one out of a thousand. The probability for success is almost impossible. It's a silly, uncalculated risk that tends to flop
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 3:21am On Jul 07, 2015
manie:

Where is the maturity for a married who is still living in the family house, because he cannot afford a house rent nor build his house.

Where is the sense of responsibility when you cannot afford the basic things for your children? Rather, lazy folks will pray for their children to be successful so as to elevate their parents out of poverty. Every responsible parent who have a deliberate plan on how their children will out grow them, rather than cycling in poverty from generation to generation.

Study how the Jews, Indians and Lebanese who came to Lagos less than 100 years ago, grew from poverty and blue collars jobs to millionaires and billionaires in dollars and they have succeeded growing their wealth from generation to generation.

brother Manie, I totally agree with u. Tho, in allusion I just wanna say, all is vanity. Money is good, but we all need spiritual wealth. The Bible says eventuality befalls all man. The quality of ones life isn't judged by material possessions. The fact that one isn't successful is not enough to call him lazy. The rich aren't the hardest working ppl. Bro, u are not the smartest. The fact u succeeded doesn't mean u r smarter than that man in the street. Life is so unfair to many.
il urge u to go on ur knees and thank God that ur plans worked out for u. Bro, don't judge yet! Just give thanks. It is never by your power or ur plans or wisdom, it is by his special grace. God is God and his blessings are the only that last for generations. Jesus said he got not even a pillow to his name. His apostles never cared about worldly possessions. Solomon had everything, but he called everything, vanity. I respect ur opinions and will never deny that u made some well reasonable points, but in conclusion we live in a world where choices are respected and options are only suggested and not enforced especially in a case like this. Our parents might not be educated, but their wishes for us and their advices are Immeasurable
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Opiosko: 3:25am On Jul 07, 2015
I think it has to do with when one is matured enough to have a sense of responsibilty and having met the the right person. I married last yr 3weeks to my 25th birthday and a month after my NYSC and I'm really supper happy today. My mates who are not married are not doing better (some are even confused and frustrated about life).... Modesty will not allow me te reel out what i have so let me just say that I'm doing well and loving the man I'v grown into.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by manie(m): 5:52am On Jul 07, 2015
jascon1:
brother Manie, I totally agree with u. Tho, in allusion I just wanna say, all is vanity. Money is good, but we all need spiritual wealth. The Bible says eventuality befalls all man. The quality of ones life isn't judged by material possessions. The fact that one isn't successful is not enough to call him lazy. The rich aren't the hardest working ppl. Bro, u are not the smartest. The fact u succeeded doesn't mean u r smarter than that man in the street. Life is so unfair to many.
il urge u to go on ur knees and thank God that ur plans worked out for u. Bro, don't judge yet! Just give thanks. It is never by your power or ur plans or wisdom, it is by his special grace. God is God and his blessings are the only that last for generations. Jesus said he got not even a pillow to his name. His apostles never cared about worldly possessions. Solomon had everything, but he called everything, vanity. I respect ur opinions and will never deny that u made some well reasonable points, but in conclusion we live in a world where choices are respected and options are only suggested and not enforced especially in a case like this. Our parents might not be educated, but their wishes for us and their advices are Immeasurable

I agree with you that life is unfair to most people, I guess it is not fair to 80% of the population. But life can be fair, when we start having the right attitude, information, knowledge and expectations about life. The right expectation about life, is that life is not fair and will not be fair, but the odds can change through planning and prayers. But most of us only pray, hope and focus on the God factor, rather than combining these with strategic planning.

Nothings stops a person from enjoying the blessings here and also the one in the great beyond, or are they mutually exclusive.

It is a nice experience sharing my thoughts with you and also learning from you. Have a great day.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by TV01(m): 9:23am On Jul 07, 2015
Joromi1:
A 19-year-old is not yet mentally capable to handle a family of his own. If your cousin does it and succeeds, then he's just one out of a thousand. The probability for success is almost impossible. It's a silly, uncalculated risk that tends to flop
Au contraire - this is dependent largely on the family/culture in which one is raised. Even now in many - what may well be considered more primitive - societies, manhood rites are performed between the ages of 12 & 15. And marriage traditionally happened much earlier than currently obtains.

The extended adolescence practised in many societies these days - which in my opinion has no real benefit - is what makes one consider a 19 year old incapable. Not that I'm pushing for that - just saying that with the right cultural ethos or nurture, it ain't a thing.

Hence terms like kidults etc. With no real demand for any kind of grown up responsibility, or a sense of obligation - to others or the wider community. It's all about autonomy, feelings and selfish desire. And it doesn't prepare them for marriage, or more pertinently successful marriages - it's why there is such dissaray around the institution right now.

Opiosko:
I think it has to do with when one is matured enough to have a sense of responsibilty and having met the the right person. I married last yr 3weeks to my 25th birthday and a month after my NYSC and I'm really supper happy today. My mates who are not married are not doing better (some are even confused and frustrated about life).... Modesty will not allow me te reel out what i have so let me just say that I'm doing well and loving the man I'v grown into.
Thank you for your testimony sir, may it abound - even unto your generations.

And religion/faith has been touched on. I wonder if it would not be way more practical in terms of avoiding "defiling" the marriage bed if marriage was expected early. How easy will it be to keep oneself into their 30's - or are we talking "cultural Christinity" here?

TV
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by bukatyne(f): 10:49am On Jul 07, 2015
bisdansun:
The problem with many of our youths is they want to figure out every thing before they go into it, when we were told marriage is an institution, it means we have to get in and learn. You can't pass GSS101 before first year, Though you have read many English books. No amount is preparation is enough to make you more than ready, be it finance, mental, social, spiritual, etc We Just need to keep learning, even our parents who got married 30 years ago still has a thing or two to learn in marriage.

I got married at 28, but all my siblings married at 25, most of them are through with child bearing. by 34 i will be through with child bearing and my wife will be 31. The problem we have with our youths is fear of the unknown, can i take care of my family in all area? With the help of my wife we have a stable and comfortable home. If i knew what i know now, i would've gotten married at the age of 24 after my schooling. The time our ladies stop following men with television and follow men with vision, will soon watch those with vision on their television.
above all get some level of preparation and comfortability. Meanwhile don't let any one rush you into it, else you will rush out. Prayer is the key with God giving you direction not money. With God all things are possible.

Very good one

I also do not understand when people say they want to build their 'career' before getting married...

I love early marriage but with any equally young man...

22+ lady and a 26yr old man or even 24 or 23 sef...

A relative of mine married at 22 with his wife 21yrs old.

I love seeing couple in their early fifties done with kids (probably also married or out of the house) flexing...

They still have the strength and desire to do so

God help us

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by jascon1(m): 11:31am On Jul 07, 2015
manie:

I agree with you that life is unfair to most people, I guess it is not fair to 80% of the population. But life can be fair, when we start having the right attitude, information, knowledge and expectations about life. The right expectation about life, is that life is not fair and will not be fair, but the odds can change through planning and prayers. But most of us only pray, hope and focus on the God factor, rather than combining these with strategic planning.

Nothings stops a person from enjoying the blessing here and also the one in the great beyond, or are they mutually exclusive.

It is a nice experience sharing my thoughts with you and also learning from you. Have a great day.
thanks, my brother. Was a nice argument. And thanks for sharing inspiring thoughts and also your life experiences with us. Honestly, I wish for more conversations n banters like I had with u. U r truly mature n capable of holding your ground.

1 Like

Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by dadson2009(m): 1:52am On Jan 10, 2016
gamaliel121:

Errmm..bro. Most guys in nigeria @ 25 are either still in school or just graduated and so many of them won't have the means to sustain a family..
U get? For me I say 29 -30.
Buh if we are capable @25. Den yes, we should get should get married
I agree with you, I finished school at 27,nysc @28, still hoping for a better job, and I hope to marry early
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by dadson2009(m): 1:53am On Jan 10, 2016
gamaliel121:

Errmm..bro. Most guys in nigeria @ 25 are either still in school or just graduated and so many of them won't have the means to sustain a family..
U get? For me I say 29 -30.
Buh if we are capable @25. Den yes, we should get should get married
i agree with you, I finished school at 27,nysc @28, still hoping for a better job, and I hope to marry early
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by ireneidiva(f): 8:30pm On Jan 10, 2016
dadson2009:
i agree with you, I finished school at 27,nysc @28, still hoping for a better job, and I hope to marry early
Early again? You have already missed 'early'. Sorry. Move on
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by dadson2009(m): 10:53pm On Jan 11, 2016
ireneidiva:

lols, so you mean I have missed early? At 28 going to 29?
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by ireneidiva(f): 11:08pm On Jan 11, 2016
dadson2009:
lols, so you mean I have missed early? At 28 going to 29?
Early is less than 25 duh.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 6:27pm On Jan 14, 2016
ireneidiva:

That's wicked! I know a lot of guys past 40 years who are still bachelors
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by ireneidiva(f): 7:33pm On Jan 14, 2016
Joromi1:

That's wicked! I know a lot of guys past 40 years who are still bachelors
Ok. Tell yourself whatever helps you sleep well @ night.
Re: Is Early Marriage Really Advantageous? by Joromi1: 9:53am On Jan 16, 2016
ireneidiva:

Ok. Tell yourself whatever helps you sleep well @ night.
Madam, no be fight

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Father Is A Very Lazy Person / She Went Back To Her Abusive Husband / Woman Delivers Four-Year-Old Pregnancy In Ogun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.