Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,979 members, 7,806,859 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:41 AM

How I Preserve Plantain - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How I Preserve Plantain (22904 Views)

How Do I Preserve Fruit Juice? / How Do I Preserve My Raw Tomatoes Without a Refrigerator? (please Help) / For How Long Can I Preserve Pap (ogi) ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Preserve Plantain by Tats(m): 9:35pm On Jul 03, 2015
Since it's not that easy to get plantain here in the UK, here is how I preserve mine and fry it later.

Buy fresh ones that are just about ripe
Wrap them in polyethylene bags
Freeze them
Take one frozen one out
Immediately Run it under the tap to soften the peel. Hot water tap is best. Do not defrost the plantain
Use the tip of a sharp knife to make a cut from top to bottom
Put the plantain on a chopping board, slice it carefully with a very sharp knife. Take real care not to cut your hand as the plantain will be hard
Put the sliced pieces in a deep fryer with very hot oil
Fry as normal until brown and do not let the plantain start soaking oil
Your plantain is ready

Pics below

Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Tats(m): 9:36pm On Jul 03, 2015
Finished product

1 Like

Re: How I Preserve Plantain by elomepee: 10:04pm On Jul 03, 2015
Good effort, I must say.
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by seemples(f): 8:04am On Jul 04, 2015
Nice!
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Starmish: 4:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
How long did you preserve them for and how long do you think one can preserve plantain for with your style?
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Tats(m): 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2018
I usually preserve them for up to 6 weeks. I don't think I have stored them for up to 2 months in the past.
Most of them get used up even before 6 weeks. I think you can store them for much longer than 2 months, however, it may not be as good as one stored for only a few weeks. The person I learned this from lives on a small Island a bit far away from the nearest city and so difficult to replenish stock. She probably stores them for much longer.
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Starmish: 11:20am On Jan 23, 2018
ok. Thank you. I’m kinda trying to start a plantain/fruit preservation business to cushion scarcity and price increase so I’m looking for best ways to do so. Please let me know if you find other means.

Regards.
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Tats(m): 12:27pm On Jan 24, 2018
Starmish:
ok. Thank you. I’m kinda trying to start a plantain/fruit preservation business to cushion scarcity and price increase so I’m looking for best ways to do so. Please let me know if you find other means.

Regards.

You might want to look at this link below, but you would need gas and temperature control.
Here in the UK, most Supermarkets use this technology, hence perishable foods are mostly available all year round irrespective of season.

http://maerskstories.maersk.com/post/25566204059/putting-bananas-to-sleep

3 Likes

Re: How I Preserve Plantain by Starmish: 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2018
Tats:

You might want to look at this link below, but you would need gas and temperature control.
Here in the UK, most Supermarkets use this technology, hence perishable foods are mostly available all year round irrespective of season.

http://maerskstories.maersk.com/post/25566204059/putting-bananas-to-sleep

Thank you. This looks like a complex stuff really? Perhaps if one got a solar powered container, it’ll do.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: How I Preserve Plantain by mohit4sona: 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2020
Good Idea! I will keep in mind rankerhub.com/
Re: How I Preserve Plantain by FirefliesSun(f): 7:10am On Jul 02, 2020
debradixon:
These websites are really needed, you can learn a lot. invisalign cost singapore
I been on the site.nice effort

(1) (Reply)

One Dies, 20 Hospitalised After Meal At Traditional Marriage / What Is The Tastiest Nigerian Delicacy / What's The Cheapest Food You've Ever Cooked?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.